Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2013, 04:10 AM   #151
Mat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith Rider View Post
Human reaction time IS about physics.
But one way or the other, your post is enlightening, 'cause it shows that many "tailgatings" are imaginary.
Reaction time is only indirectly about physics, if you consider the electric impulses aspect for instance... Semantics anyways.

http://www.spiegel.de/panorama/masse...-a-884373.html

The link is in German, but the gist of it: Semi has turbo charger explode, smoke, fast braking, 40 cars and trucks crashed, two dead, 20 hurt. That was a month ago.

Just because you "think" there is enough distance doesn't mean there actually is. Granted, you can't prepare for everything, and sometimes you have to get close in order to prepare for passing, but that isn't really tailgating (except your "preparations" go on for kilometers).

Anyways, standing up works. I wish there was something alike in cars :-)
Old 03-21-2013, 04:22 AM   #152
D_A
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 960
I've seen plenty of young guys who think their reflexes are top 1% and they can brake safely within one second. Not one of them could, even the ones who race. Most were very average at best.
Here the recommended distance is three seconds, though in the central city you will have people trying to leap into that gap and then sit a half second behind the vehicle in front. They will insist they are far enough behind to brake safely, and that they're not tailgating. They can't and they are.
I saw the claim above that a one second gap is enough time to brake and that "physics says" it's so. Sure, if you start to brake at the exact same time and rate as the vehicle in front then it's plenty of room, but that doesn't allow for human reflexes, wandering attention or that half second "WTF?!?" moment as the situation presents before you react, never mind misjudging the required braking force or road conditions you couldn't see because you were tailgating the vehicle in front.
D_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:28 AM   #153
tommyvdv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 398
nice vent.
some will never learn.

had one particular event where I did just about everything to fend him off. flashing brake lights, gradually slowing down, waving, speeding up.
once the traffic allowed it I went over to the other lane to let him pass. fucker just barely misses me taken over and changing lanes. I honked.
next red lights he's in the queue. I lane split and pause next to the guys car to look inside. guy rolls down his passenger window and starts screaming and me asking me what the bloody hell my problem is. he proceeded to the side of the road, near missing almost every car in the queue. gets out and gestures me to come at him.

I shook my head in disbelief and rode home to a nice home cooked meal.

some people...
tommyvdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:37 AM   #154
D_A
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 960
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyvdv View Post
nice vent.
some will never learn.

had one particular event where I did just about everything to fend him off. flashing brake lights, gradually slowing down, waving, speeding up.
once the traffic allowed it I went over to the other lane to let him pass. fucker just barely misses me taken over and changing lanes. I honked.
next red lights he's in the queue. I lane split and pause next to the guys car to look inside. guy rolls down his passenger window and starts screaming and me asking me what the bloody hell my problem is. he proceeded to the side of the road, near missing almost every car in the queue. gets out and gestures me to come at him.

some people...
Well played, Sir, well played.
D_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:11 AM   #155
tommyvdv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 398
oh and…

These additional lights should help
tommyvdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:48 AM   #156
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_A View Post
I've seen plenty of young guys who think their reflexes are top 1% and they can brake safely within one second. Not one of them could, even the ones who race. Most were very average at best.
Here the recommended distance is three seconds, though in the central city you will have people trying to leap into that gap and then sit a half second behind the vehicle in front. They will insist they are far enough behind to brake safely, and that they're not tailgating. They can't and they are.
I saw the claim above that a one second gap is enough time to brake and that "physics says" it's so. Sure, if you start to brake at the exact same time and rate as the vehicle in front then it's plenty of room, but that doesn't allow for human reflexes, wandering attention or that half second "WTF?!?" moment as the situation presents before you react, never mind misjudging the required braking force or road conditions you couldn't see because you were tailgating the vehicle in front.
The reason to NOT be a Myopic cunt when you ride.

Disclaimer: The above posted insulting and vulgar statement is meant to be gender nuetral and is purely for the intent to say PAY FUCKING ATTENTION when you ride.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:50 AM   #157
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
he proceeded to the side of the road, near missing almost every car in the queue. gets out and gestures me to come at him.

some people...
What? You didn't shoot him or throw a spark pug at him? That's down right un-merican.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:00 AM   #158
rgoers
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
Quote:
nice vent.
some will never learn.

some people...
I probably would have pulled over in front of him, then roosted a windshield-full of rocks at him as I took off. (Street legal knobbies are good for more than just riding dirt...) Or I might have shot him... Neither would have turned out as well as what you did. I applaud you!

What did you have for dinner that made it SO worth ignoring the idiot? I may want the recipe...
Old 03-21-2013, 08:41 AM   #159
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
The reason to NOT be a Myopic cunt when you ride.

Disclaimer: The above posted insulting and vulgar statement is meant to be gender nuetral and is purely for the intent to say PAY FUCKING ATTENTION when you ride.
Yes, I agree with you 100%, but................

So much attention needs to be focused on the vehicle in front to follow at 1 second, the rest of the riding environment will not receive adequate attention.

Tailgating is a distraction for both parties.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:30 AM   #160
Wraith Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 991
@Mat
Your link is absolutely not related to tailgating. It's about shortened vision and maybe snowy weather. Also I don't "think" that there's enough space for me, I KNOW it. It's not really a difficult equation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbeen View Post
Stopping distance from 60mph is something like 120-130 feet at best, worse on an enduro of course, 1 second is 88 feet per second. So if the car stops in under 3 seconds. 1 second is your reaction time, another half to full second is weight transfer to the front so you really don't start decelerating until a full 1.5 to 2 seconds into it. And the car is already at 30mph and you're still going 50. The car is stopped in another second and you have to go from 50 to 0 in 1 second, probably not going to happen. There is a reason 2 seconds is given as a minimum
First, 2s is NOT given as a minimum. Second, since the stopping distance of the guy in front of me is ~130ft as well, my stopping distance isn't a problem and safety distance is only for compensating reaction time. Third, the 1s reaction time includes weight transfer. (Of course one has to practice braking.)
So I'm standing still directly behind the car, no problem. (And of course as mayday said, this would only be important if the one in front of you emergency brakes without a reason.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbeen View Post
It is a bad idea to be in an area where another vehicle has the ability to invade your space at will and without giving you room to react.
So you wouldn't drive on streets with oncoming traffic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_A View Post
I saw the claim above that a one second gap is enough time to brake and that "physics says" it's so. Sure, if you start to brake at the exact same time and rate as the vehicle in front then it's plenty of room
You're wrong. In that case you don't need any safety distance at all.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:57 AM   #161
rgoers
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
[QUOTE=Wraith Rider;21000618...
You're wrong. In that case you don't need any safety distance at all.[/QUOTE]

That assumes your braking system (tires, brakes, everything involved in the stopping process) is as good as, or better than the vehicle ahead of you. If that's NOT the case, you WILL be in trouble.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:37 AM   #162
KLRKowboy
can I go to bed yet?

Oddometer: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Personal attacks are the refuge of those who cannot argue effectively!

Jim

PS They belong firmly in CSM!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
When you point to a specific person and call him a moron, it is personal.

Read the rules.

Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
You are right about that. Your idiot level was through the roof.
Pot, have you met Kettle?

Old 03-21-2013, 10:54 AM   #163
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith Rider View Post
. Second, since the stopping distance of the guy in front of me is ~130ft as well, my stopping distance isn't a problem and safety distance is only for compensating reaction time.
not when what stopped the vehicle in front of you was a head on collision or an object that fell out of the vehicle in front of him or a moose, cow or bison wondered into the road. Or someone backed out of a driveway in front of the car in front of you

you cannot assume the vehicle in front of you won't stop quicker than you can
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject

randyo screwed with this post 03-21-2013 at 11:02 AM
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:04 AM   #164
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,438
there is one drawback to not tailgating

when you leave safe separation, you get more idiots that think they have time to turn left in front of you
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:12 AM   #165
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLRKowboy View Post
Pot, have you met Kettle?