Oddometer: 19,207
Good Luck Spanky.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:49 PM   #77
Wraith Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 910
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmgf7 View Post
Well you're struggling to get up to my level.
Hopefully you're not that high while riding.

Quote:
Situation: I'm riding on a two lane road while doing the speed limit. There is traffic behind me, opposing traffic, and there's no room to pass or pull off. Am I enforcing everyone behind me to do the speed limit? Well, I believe I'm following the law.
A mature, responsible rider would adapt to the surrounding traffic.
Again, you get what you give.
It's amazing how often you "as long as I'm not forced otherwise by law, I give a fuck about others"-guys are tailgated or blocked, while we others have a fun ride.
Old 03-16-2013, 05:54 AM   #78
TeneRay OP
2>4

Oddometer: 1,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith Rider View Post
Please, enlighten the class how a mature, responsible rider would handle the situation in the scenario I just presented?

You still never answered my question in regards to your expression about "the other one taking away my toy".

Quote:
...Again, you get what you give....It's amazing how often you "as long as I'm not forced otherwise by law, I give a fuck about others"-guys are tailgated or blocked, while we others have a fun ride.
Karma and Pacifism doesn't work on the roads; especially from what I've come to learn real quick moving to the East. Unfortunately, a lot of the roads in the East also don't offer a second option. It's either faster or slower. Trying to pull over and turn around in Bocephus' driveway may not fair too well; especially on a Japanese bike dressed like a Power Ranger.

I'm always having fun whenever I'm in the seat of my bike; whether it's a commute to work or a weekend jaunt.

How often us-guys are tailgated or blocked? Well, it's called traffic for a reason. It's when one or more vehicles conglomerate on the roadways. Maybe at spaced intervals, maybe all together in one group. Maybe things are different from where you're from? Somehow or someway, breaking the flow of traffic, alleviating blocking and tailgating altogether.

Am I getting blocked? Pretty much most of the time. It typically happens whenever I approach a slower moving vehicle. A handful of times a week I'm slowed down by the Cagers either heading to work or coming home through the twisities. In my head I'm thinking, "these guys are too damn slow. They can't even do the posted or suggested speeds." But, I still maintain my spacing and wait since there's only a mile worth of passing lanes in my 15 mile commute.

Getting tailgated? Sure, I'll get a driver(s) into my comfort zone every now and then. However, from observation, most will have a moment of enlightenment and back off (with exception of the OP incident).

You must assume that I post one incident and I'm going around brake checking other drivers on a daily basis.
TeneRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:46 AM   #79
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,420
Quote:

I think that's what the OP did wrong, adapt to surrounding poor driving habits that is so common place today
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:09 PM   #80
Wraith Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 910
Quote:
Please, enlighten the class how a mature, responsible rider would handle the situation in the scenario I just presented?
Very, very, very easy. Ride at the speed all the others do or drive to the right and maybe use your indicator, 'cause there's always enough space for a bike and two cars.

Quote:
Maybe things are different from where you're from?
In my experience no. Same as with you here are always lamenting guys who don't want to see that cooperation is better. It doesn't really matter if traffic is better or worse here or there, it's always your attitude what defines your experience.

Quote:
Karma and Pacifism doesn't work on the roads
Try to fool yourself into that if you want. It's your problem.
Old 03-16-2013, 01:45 PM   #81
toy4fun
GET out of the way

Oddometer: 165
not sure if I missed the discussion about where the person tailgating maybe impaired, insane or on his way to some place to do a shooting. you just never know what the person is up to. we had a guy stopped at a sign on his bike on a Friday going home afternoon and the 16 year old tailgating him and killing him was texting.
toy4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:31 PM   #82
TeneRay OP
2>4

Oddometer: 1,446
Quote:
Very, very, very easy. Ride at the speed all the others do or drive to the right and maybe use your indicator, 'cause there's always enough space for a bike and two cars.
Let me get this right. I have two options according to you. I can:

A) Actively break the law by speeding up to the point I create a safe amount of distance between me and the car following me.

or

B) Try to hug the shoulder and signal to the cars behind me to pass while there is oncoming traffic? And I'm being called the moron? Just FYI, most 2 lane state/county roads in the US can range up to 55 MPH (which I believe is just shy of 100KMH). Do you really trust the driving capabilities of the cars you're signaling to pass? Especially at those speeds? Do you even ride a motorcycle?

Quote:
In my experience no. Same as with you here are always lamenting guys who don't want to see that cooperation is better. It doesn't really matter if traffic is better or worse here or there, it's always your attitude what defines your experience.
You probably have those "coexist" bumper stickers plastered all over your bike and car, don't you? Do you know why you're lamenting due to the lack of cooperation? Things aren't different anywhere because if you get out of your basement more often, you'll come to realize the world is full of assholes. You'll eventually be seen as an asshole to someone. I could be calm and professional but for some odd reason some guy could see me as a complete dickface.

Quote:
Try to fool yourself into that if you want. It's your problem.
I'm not fooling myself. I'm just saying what it is. It's your replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toy4fun
not sure if I missed the discussion about where the person tailgating maybe impaired, insane or on his way to some place to do a shooting. you just never know what the person is up to. we had a guy stopped at a sign on his bike on a Friday going home afternoon and the 16 year old tailgating him and killing him was texting.
I wouldn't know the drivers condition, although, there was a handicap plate on the van!

This is Southern VA. The driver was probably getting home in a hurry due to ATF closing in on raiding his moonshine distillery, lol.
TeneRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:36 PM   #83
Trl Rdr
Big Red Bird

Oddometer: 1,986
Quote:
Let me get this right. I have two options according to you. I can:

A) Actively break the law by speeding up to the point I create a safe amount of distance between me and the car following me.

or

B) Try to hug the shoulder and signal to the cars behind me to pass while there is oncoming traffic? And I'm being called the moron? Just FYI, most 2 lane state/county roads in the US can range up to 55 MPH (which I believe is just shy of 100KMH). Do you really trust the driving capabilities of the cars you're signaling to pass? Especially at those speeds? Do you even ride a motorcycle?

You probably have those "coexist" bumper stickers plastered all over your bike and car, don't you? Do you know why you're lamenting due to the lack of cooperation? Things aren't different anywhere because if you get out of your basement more often, you'll come to realize the world is full of assholes. You'll eventually be seen as an asshole to someone. I could be calm and professional but for some odd reason some guy could see me as a complete dickface.

I'm not fooling myself. I'm just saying what it is. It's your replies.

I wouldn't know the drivers condition, although, there was a handicap plate on the van!

This is Southern VA. The driver was probably getting home in a hurry due to ATF closing in on raiding his moonshine distillery, lol.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
Baja Mexico Trail Ride Report
Big Bend Ranch Drive and Ride Report
Trl Rdr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:42 PM   #84
Trl Rdr
Big Red Bird

Oddometer: 1,986
Sent on my locked up tapatalk reply app that won't cancel.
Baja Mexico Trail Ride Report
Big Bend Ranch Drive and Ride Report
Trl Rdr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:42 PM   #85
D_A
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 809
Quote:
Just FYI, most 2 lane state/county roads in the US can range up to 55 MPH (which I believe is just shy of 100KMH). .
Just for clarification, 55Mph is 88Kph. I know it doesn't contribute to the discussion directly but someone might find it useful.
D_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:45 PM   #86
FAW3
Old wanderer

Oddometer: 421
I posted this back in '11 in a previous Tailgating discussion....don't see any reason to change it, YMMV:

I'll put my cards on the table first...I'm using the best aspects of riding a MC to maneuver (make a plan & move) and get the hell out of the way. Speed up, move over, whatever is needed. I stay calm and it's not personal (yet). I don't know the idiot, and likely do not want to know them. I want to continue my ride and enjoy it...I think of it as taking the fly out of my soup or scraping the *hit off my boots.

Ok, for the rock throwers, brake jabbers and the shootist's...I am not going to say "wrong move", but will offer this:

1; Your likely making this decision out of frustration and anger - in my life of 56 years, my worst decisions started out this way.

2: Your escalating the event now from a mere bad traffic situation to an open ended situation that can transistion quickly into a fight for your life (or the idiots life - but your on an MC and they are in a steel cage). I would proffer you have abandoned "legal self defense" if in fact you make the first actual assaultive act.

3: Your thinking "this non-driving SOB...what a moron...I'll teach them"...In reality you know NOTHING about the person or their motivations or capability. Starting an engagement without "knowing your adversary" has been written about in military and business tactics research for well over a thousand years and in brief: it is commonly held to be the first step to defeat.

4: I'm a retired LEO...I've stopped and dealt with tailgaters and the like many, many times: Many are just what they appear to be: in a rush preoccupied drivers, aggressive drivers, drunks/druggies...but I've encountered others also: persons rushing to hospital (pregnant, kid hurt on a ATV, etc.), persons not drunk/drugged but having a medical issue such as improper blood sugar or a medication issue, and some are simple cold blooded predators that most of society never meet...but are in fact out there...and that most of us on a normal day are NOT prepared to deal with.

5: It took me longer to type this than it takes to take the steps in paragraph 1 above....think about it...just do what it takes to ride on safely, anything else is really another issue.

FAW3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:00 PM   #87
markk9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
I have in the past, used a blast of pepper spray, hold the can down low with your left hand and give a 1 to 2 second spray. Any cage behind will be slowing down as that stuff gets into the vent and a/c system.
markk9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:59 PM   #88
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
. It doesn't really matter if traffic is better or worse here or there, it's always your attitude what defines your experience.

DAKEZ -________________

Wraith Rider--------------------------

rbmfg7_________________
Old 03-16-2013, 09:03 PM   #89
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_A View Post
Just for clarification, 55Mph is 88Kph. I know it doesn't contribute to the discussion directly but someone might find it useful.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:30 PM   #90
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,053
I would like to know the ratio of riders who have actually been hit by a tailgater when they did nothing in response, compared to how many riders suffered the consequences of trying to teach a tailgater a "lesson".