User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2013, 06:42 PM   #151
burque magoo
master of disaster....

Oddometer: 4,837
Ateam bandwith issues.....

Tony e-mailed me earlier today to let me know that his free Photo Bucket account was over the limit for the month in terms of bandwith usage...(you get what you pay for, go with Smug Mug)

Until manana, here's some teaser pics from Alfonsina's the next morning at Gonzaga Bay:

I woke up early to check out the sunrise, and was rewarded with this:

I don't think I've ever seen a better sunrise than this one......

I wandered around taking some photos of the beach, what a cool place--

spent some time talking with this guy, who has to have the coolest
Baja beachcomber setup I've ever seen.....

He and his dog were hanging out, cooking breakfast on the beach as we loaded our gear and got ready for the last day of our ride....

Has to be one of the coolest rigs I've seen lately----Hayduke is gonna be jealous.....

Ateam & Big Sprocket doing some beachside ride planning......

shortly after this, we said goodby to Kacey and Will, and left for our last day of Baja riding, heading north back to San Felipe......

I'm gonna let ATeam tell the story of our final day's adventures, including how Chuck acquired his new ADV handle "Captain Nemo"-----Tony tellls these stories way better than I ever could......(stay tuned)---

burque magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:39 PM   #152
D-Train
Ridin' Dirty

Oddometer: 1,218
Awesome
Old 03-31-2013, 10:41 PM   #153
Just Paul
Pro Cat Herder

Oddometer: 2,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by AteamNM View Post
BigDog, The map is a basic AAA highway map that I scanned. I then copy the PDF image and paste it into PowerPoint. From PP, I can add text, other photos, etc. Then save as a Jpeg file. Done but also a lot of work. Like going around your fingers to get to your thumb.

I like maps and posting up a descriptive route is a bonus.

I was hoping that Chris would chime in here.
Mark/Bigdog,

Another way to do it is have your mapsource open with your track from your ride or your route.. then just take a screenshot and open it in paint.. Then you can edit, make notes and upload the finished product to your favorite photo site..

taking a screenshot is free and paint is on every windows computer..
here is how mine looks

just my .02 loving the report !

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine

Just Paul screwed with this post 03-31-2013 at 10:49 PM
Just Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:47 AM   #154
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Paul View Post
Mark/Bigdog,

Another way to do it is have your mapsource open with your track from your ride or your route.. then just take a screenshot and open it in paint.. Then you can edit, make notes and upload the finished product to your favorite photo site..

taking a screenshot is free and paint is on every windows computer..
here is how mine looks

just my .02 loving the report !

Thanks so much for that info-----it was in front of me all the time and I just didn't know it. I take screens shots of mapsource all the time---------just never thought of what I could do with that screen shot.

Thanks !!!

BigDog
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:36 AM   #155
burque magoo
master of disaster....

Oddometer: 4,837
bandwith issues should be resolved, what's the holdup?

burque magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:20 AM   #156
AteamNM OP
Wonna Be ADVrider

Oddometer: 3,219
Guns, money and lawyers. That's what makes the world go around. Tonight I will finish, or at least that is the plan.
AteamNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:39 AM   #157
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,371
Terrific report. Loved the interview with Coco, he sure is a character. Kacey is also an interesting person. Baja certainly has some colorful people.

Bruce, good job on finding flowers out there in the desert to enjoy along your ride.

Waiting for the rest of the report.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:23 AM   #158
pjciii
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
i have a question for chuck. how does he like the BILT Explorer gear so far. i haven't seen any real reports on it yet and i was just wondering.
patrick
pjciii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:39 PM   #159
Just Paul
Pro Cat Herder

Oddometer: 2,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com View Post
Thanks so much for that info-----it was in front of me all the time and I just didn't know it. I take screens shots of mapsource all the time---------just never thought of what I could do with that screen shot.

Thanks !!!

BigDog
you only know what you know right.... I learn something every day here on adv .. glad I could help...

On with the Report !

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
Just Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:24 PM   #160
Captain Nemo
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Thumb

Hey Patrick , I bought the Explorer gear (H2O Jacket)in late December and have used it on about 15 day rides plus this Baja trip. Haven't tested the "waterproof" yet but I have not been too cold or too hot from 30 degrees to about 65 degrees. It will be too hot for summer. No issues so far other than the hydration pocket will hold a 100 oz bladder, but anything over about 50 or 60 oz will pull the jacket down your back and choke you a little.Pretty happy so far.Oh ya , I did test the helmet, and I really don't remember how well it works.

Chuck
Captain Nemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:54 PM   #161
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 5,560
Thanks for the reply on that Chuck... I had the same curiosity on the new BILT adventure gear. Looks like pretty decent stuff for the money!
Aside from the "incident", was the helmet comfortable? Lens clear or distorted? Loud?
Thanks!

-Curtis
Old 04-03-2013, 11:15 PM   #162
AteamNM OP
Wonna Be ADVrider

Quote:
pjciii i have a question for chuck. how does he like the BILT Explorer gear so far. i haven't seen any real reports on it yet and i was just wondering.
patrick
I would say a hell of a bargain. I was envious of the total package you can get from Cycle Gear. But then Bruce was sporing the Klim Badlands, drool city.

Captn' Nemo's kit took a beating and keep on riding.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:37 PM   #163
Big Sprocket
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Hey Tony, that 8-pack flat wait was nothin' compared to, well you know, I'm tryin' to put this in a nice way...Waitin' for the rest of your ride report has forced me to make several F'ing beer runs!Will ATeam reimburse me for my travel expenses?Oops, I just logged another mile on this new machine. Up to 2 miles now, I sure don't want to wear this piece out.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:18 AM   #164
AteamNM OP
Wonna Be ADVrider

Quote:
Big Sprocket

Hey Tony, that 8-pack flat wait was nothin' compared to, well you know, I'm tryin' to put this in a nice way...Waitin' for the rest of your ride report has forced me to make several F'ing beer runs!Will ATeam reimburse me for my travel expenses?Oops, I just logged another mile on this new machine. Up to 2 miles now, I sure don't want to wear this piece out.
I just composed the most killer finale to our ride. I was done. Then FFFFKKKKing Photobucket took a crap and all was lost. So let me start again. Let me finish this most awesome ride. Damn what I posted just now was killer. Oh well, let's give it one more shot.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:09 AM   #165
AteamNM OP
Wonna Be ADVrider

Our final day, number 7. The day was an easy one, following the coastal highway north to San Felipie.

Another and last beautiful morning of sunrise on the Sea of Cortez.

This little girl went out and found this eel on the beach. It was soon cooked on the grill.

Our last most awesome breakfast was soon to arrive.

Decals abound, everywhere in Baja.

A hard core reminder of the Baja Bug.

I love this photo.

We chat with the Lizard lady, I like her a lot. We soon say good bye.

Coastal riding north. Buena vistas abound. Chilling, riding slab. Checking out the views.

My mothers name is Leona, she just finished 35 rounds of radiation at 80 years old.
Bridge of Leona!

Best friends. Bruce is also a paramedic, a first responder, an EMT and more in just a few minutes. Little did they know what was in store around the corner.

We are riding on the slab and taking detours down to the beach. Chuck Speed control Issues had blasted out on lake beds and coastal tidal pools previously. The first time he laid down a total cross over, full lock 80 mph one mile arching turn. A piece of riding art. I will never forget the first time Chuck laid out his 525.

If the Baja bug bites, it bites you bad. We had a very scary moment on our last day riding into San Felipe. Our star rider Chuck and I spotted a massive tidal flat area and I asked him if he wanted to get some video of him ripping up the tidal flat. We took off from a rocky road to cross onto the flats and there was a 10 foot or so quick sand drainage channel around the tidal flat. As Chuck shifted into third gear to wick it open, the bike stalled in the clay/silt/death goo. Chuck was thrown over the handle bars and was flat out unconscious for about 5 minutes. It was so damn scary hearing him moan but no other response. Bruce our EMT was there and saw what happened. Magoo and Big Sprocket had ridden on. I thought I went into neutral and was just stopped, almost over the bars. I saw Chuck in the air. I thought he was dead. Bruce came running and almost fell over running through the muck. Watching Bruce check for pulse, squeeze his fingers, look into dilated eyes There was absolutely no movement. Kacey's discussion about internal bleeding was knocking around in my head. I was very scared for Chuck. After about 15 to 20 minutes Chuck started moving and following a very thorough examination we got him to sit up. This is about the same time that Kevin and Chris finally back tracked to look for us. Previously they were up on a cliff looking down into the tidal flat, expecting to see Chuck. The could see us on the edge but thought we were rocks.

Bike extraction was a bitch and Chucks KTM 525 was first drug out by the back wheel because the front was stuck and sunk. The little yellow bike only required three guys but it was sitting upright. Chuck felt the lingering & tingling in his hands and arms for weeks. He was of course very sore. So damn lucky it was not a spinal issue or worse. A stop for a few Pacifico's at the Cow Patty helped some and then we were able to laugh.

The bike was mired and it was nearly impossible to stand in the clay and pull on the bike.

Little yellow bike.

Here is a 3 minute video of the following assessment and final signs of life. Chuck lives.

We finally collect ourselves and get back on Highway 5 north to the Cow Patty Bar.

Sipapu decal applied.

Chuck is grounding himself. He is shaken and stirred, he has tingling in his arms and hands. We finally laugh about the submergence of his bike in the death sand.

Note the impacts to Chucks face from the helmet.

Huba huba, viva la Team Magoo.

Sitting down for our first breakfast on the beach we cast a net of good karma over the team. The sun was warm, the light was fresh, the air was clear. We sat on a patio with coffee and orange juice. We were soon to depart on day 1. I asked if I could say a prayer. The team of course said yes. I prayed for safety, for guidance, for strength; to finish unharmed. I was thankful to be there, proud to be a part of the team and willing to contribute good karma.

I look back now and realize we were lucky. We rode a long ways in remote areas. We were not hurt or stranded. I now feel so proud to be part of the team. I am impressed with the quality of each unique individual. I am thankful for their friendship, for the guide of Baja, for MacGyver always there and for Chuck's eye candy. I am thankful for Magoo, Team Magoo! And without Kevin, many trails would have never been ridden, he kept us on track and on time.

The few beers at the mecca Cow Patty were bitter sweet. The final leg into southern San Filipie was anti climatic. We returned to the same bar where we started. My bag was well used and impacted by the death sand.

The helmets stand tall and proud at the end of the day, the end of the trip.

Local kids take away the final sticker stash.

A final night in Baja is completed with numerous fish tacos and liquid tastiness. We cross the border the next day in less than one hour and make our way into Arizona for a night. Bruce stays near Chuck, he is worried about post blunt force injuries.

I will finish this report with a photo compilation. Damn what a great ride in Baja. Thank you Team Magoo.
Thank you to those that shared our ride and contributed to this report.

AteamNM screwed with this post 09-21-2013 at 02:07 PM