Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2013, 03:59 PM   #166
utefan
03'XR650R

Oddometer: 303
Wow - scary end! Glad everyone ended up OK - great report. Thank you.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:59 PM   #167
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 861
Sure glad Chuck is okay

Last year I organized 22 guys for a three day rough stuff dual sport ride ....all experienced and competent dirt riders....day two starts off with a guy discovering his chest protector was missing from the bike he left it on overnight....He said, "I hope this isn't a bad omen."

Later that day he crashed hard, was alone and unconcious for 5-10 minutes....his riding buddy (First Aid Attendant at motocross races) returned to look for him and he was crumpled beneath his 690....NO VITAL SIGNS and bluer than your new jeans ...The buddy did CPR, 5 guys sent SPOT signals (which did NOT provide co-ords????) and we all waited 4 hours for helicopter.
The injured rider was struggling for air, struggling to get up, and making horrible sounds for those 4 hours....most of us were afraid he was going to die...his gurgling moaning is a sound I wish I could forget.

Medics diagnosed punctured lung and some other injuries....and did their magic on him before we carried him 1.5 kms to chopper....two weeks in hospital and final recovery OK.

These incidents are very scarey.

I have to say, though....unnecessary speed and risks are usually to blame.

Be careful out there, friends.

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:21 PM   #168
Big Sprocket
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Tony, excellent report!! Thank you for your hard work and seeing this to the end. Also, for your kind words and all the jokes and laughs! I'm proud as a game rooster to have 'rid with y'all!!! Next year, we just need to add the only two missing ingredients...Curtis and Paul. Damn, now I got 3 miles on this thing! Thanks Tony!!!!!!!!
Old 04-04-2013, 06:59 PM   #169
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 5,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sprocket View Post
Tony, excellent report!! Thank you for your hard work and seeing this to the end. Also, for your kind words and all the jokes and laughs! I'm proud as a game rooster to have 'rid with y'all!!! Next year, we just need to add the only two missing ingredients...Curtis and Paul. Damn, now I got 3 miles on this thing! Thanks Tony!!!!!!!!
Wow Kev! 3 posts now!!! We'll make an adventurer out of you yet!!

Tony and all of Team Magoo... simply an outstanding report, trip and experience and I thank you all for taking us along!!

I have been very disappointed to have missed this one. Next time I want to be part of this great team!!
Tony, thanks for being the man that brought us along with your words and photos. Magoo, thank you for making this dream ride a reality and being the man behind the trip plan. Bruce and Chuck, thanks for tagging along with Sprocket and Magoo and keeping some sanity...and insanity with the group! And Mr. Big Sprocket...we've been riding buddies a long time and it was awesome for you to hook up with some of my dearest trials and dual sport friends and guide them through a small part of the epic terrain you have learned in Baja. You are all dear friends and I couldn't be happier that this trip was completed with no (major) injuries or issues and everyone has a story to tell for life. You kids rock!!!
Old 04-04-2013, 07:08 PM   #170
burque magoo
master of disaster....

Oddometer: 4,845
+1! great final day post to an awesome thread! (that video was incredible)

We had a great ride, were so blessed to not have any major incidents, and that Chuck escaped from this scary endo with no major injuries!

To borrow a phrase from my buddy Tony, I"'m just glad to have been there, proud to have been part of the team, and stoked that I was able to contibute un poquito to this ride!"

Thanks, guys!

burque magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:34 PM   #171
burque magoo
master of disaster....

"What a pretty lady, she just seemed like a mother and treated us like sons."

Not to mention she has a couple of really HOT daughters serving cerveza and comida!-----

Old 04-04-2013, 07:37 PM   #172
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Quote:
Originally Posted by burque magoo View Post
"What a pretty lady, she just seemed like a mother and treated us like sons."

Not to mention she has a couple of really HOT daughters serving cerveza and comida!-----
Old 04-04-2013, 11:02 PM   #173
Big Sprocket
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Big Sprocket wants to say a few words...wait, let me get my beer. OK, here goes...

Seriously, first off all, I would like to dedicate this ride to a friend and fellow rider I never got to meet...David Garrett. I will always think of him and raise a toast when I am in San Francisquito! Also, Magoo did something very special for his friend David by riding several hundred miles in Baja with part of his ashes and then memorialize him in San Francisquito on the beach on a beautiful sunny day...you're a good man Magoo! Also, my awesome, dedicated friend Curtis, who unfortunatley could not make this ride, was our common thread to this ride. All of us know and ride with Curtis, but not all of us new the rest of us...so to speak. So thank you Curtis for puttin' all of us together and sometimes as much as we tried, or not try, we did'nt get flushed down the Baja banos! Here's to Baja!!!!!!
Old 04-05-2013, 06:22 AM   #174
Captain Nemo
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Great job on the RR Tony, almost like I've been to Baja twice now!!! Oh ya,Curtis , the Bilt explorer helmet is comfortable to wear , no real distortion from the shield, and it is nice not to have to mess w/ sun glasses. Venting is not great though.

Very hard to watch the video of me laying on the ground. Considering how fast I was going , how far I am from the bike, and how much the backs of my hands hurt , I have to think my hands got caught up in my hand gaurds. This accident scarred the hell out of me because while I did do some risky things (wheelieing all over Baja) this was not one of them.Just riding along on flat ground. Lesson Learned here is to have someone in your Baja ride group with first aid/ first responder training. If it had been Bruce lying there on the ground I would not have known what to do, and I have vowed to take a first aid/mountain rescue type of class ASAP!!!
After I got home , I was ready to sell all my big bikes and buy a boat figuring I couldn't break my neck on a boat. But drowning isn't a good option either , so I guess I'll keep em.

I want to say thank you to this whole group of old and new friends.Great trip , can't wait till the next one!!

Bienvenidos everyone
Captain Nemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:28 AM   #175
AteamNM OP
Wonna Be ADVrider

Oddometer: 3,221
Remember the picture of a picture of the helicopter crash in 1992?

A hard core reminder of the Baja Bug.

Well my curiosity got the best of me.
April 1992–

Lloyd Kolbe is contracted by SEDUE to conduct a census of the Bighorn Sheep population in Baja California. Lloyd Kolbe took his personal Hiller 2E helicopter to Baja
for the project. Lloyd Kolbe discovered a second group conducting a census of Bighorn sheep on the Baja California peninsula. On April 12, he decided to phone SEDUE Administrators and ask for clarification. He and two others left camp in the helicopter to go to the nearest phone. They never arrived.

April 12, 1992 –
Lloyd Kolbe, Gonzalo Medina, and Rafael Bustos leave the Alfonsinas camp on the Baja Peninsula.

April 15, 1992 – Search started.

April 27, 1992 –
Assistance of American resources requested by Mexico.

May 19, 1992 –
Search called off with no clues or crash site found.

Did the helicopter crash? In the history of Baja California, they they have never lost a plane. If it crashed, was it an accident? Government corruption? Poachers? Drug Cartels?

On September 12, 2006 the wreckage of a small helicopter was found on a mountainside in the Calamajué mountain range.

Complete story here:
http://marketing.appliedbiosystems.c...pter_Crash.pdf

Mechanical failure was ruled the cause of the helicopter crash.

AteamNM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:31 AM   #176
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Thanks for the history of that photo Tony! I was wondering the same thing when I saw that photo. Seemed a long time between missing and found on that one.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:08 AM   #177
BEEF706
King of the dumb dab

Oddometer: 621
Guys thanks for the great ride report. I had the honor of knowing Dave, and know what a great friend Chris lost. I can't think of a more fitting way to remember him than taking him along on his dream ride.
The photos and writing are so vivid, I felt like I needed to shake the sand out of my boots.
Good times, scary moments, quality reflection, this trip really does define adventure. Well done!
BEEF706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:59 PM   #178
burque magoo
master of disaster....

David's Baja-beaten DRZ was resurrected late this afternoon with a little help from Keith Miller, and a LOT of work from Tony!......( a week after the Main Resurrection)!....

Fully re-assembled, and running like a top!

burque magoo screwed with this post 04-06-2013 at 09:07 PM
Old 04-07-2013, 07:37 PM   #179
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Quote:
Originally Posted by burque magoo View Post
David's Baja-beaten DRZ was resurrected late this afternoon with a little help from Keith Miller, and a LOT of work from Tony!......( a week after the Main Resurrection)!....

Fully re-assembled, and running like a top!
Awesome! Keith is the man...I've known, ridden and worked with him for years. Very good wrench!
Old 04-08-2013, 03:57 AM   #180
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,378
I'm glad Chuck is OK. It sure shows how fast things can go upside down when you think this are smooth sailing.

Terrific report. Thanks for sharing.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote