Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2013, 03:03 PM   #106
jesse18
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
I love all of these great pics, beers, bikes, baja...what else does a guy need. This in top 5 of my bucket list now. Please keep up the great pics. All the detailed info on where guys have visited will really help me and others who plan to do a REAL Baja trip!
jesse18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:01 AM   #107
AteamNM OP
Wonna Be ADVrider

Oddometer: 3,601
Day 5

Huba Huba!

At this point in the trip, I'm thinking that I have ridden everything and every kind of terrain Baja has to offer. Many people or friends have asked what was the hardest part of the ride, what was the hardest trail? That is hard to answer. The Race Course 7 Mile Magoo Whoops on the first day were likely the hardest, or most physically demanding. The sections where the ranchers were burning stuff. The Charla Heads in deep sand was likely the most challenging, or technical. The ride has been such a mix. Gravel roads, deep sand, mountains, rubble, rock, cactus, beach and highways. It is all a mix, a Baja cocktail. I think this is the magic of riding on such an unspoiled region of old Mexico. It is a constant mix, the terrain changes with elevation, changes occur as you get closer to the coast, the Pacific being more dramatic, the Sea of Cortez more mellow.

There were times we would stop on a ridge, elevated above the valley's below; cratons that we just traversed. The dark and desolate mountain ranges frame the basins of green. I turn and look 180 degrees at the trail that awaits. The same expanse frames the view, a green basin rimmed by barren, hard, Laramide orogony upheaval represented by massive lonely mountains. The demarcation of the two sides of the peninsula. The view is 30 miles or more of where we have been and where we are going. Imagine a broken hub or blown engine at this point? The basins that are so green are nothing more than a dense and geomorphological habitation of thriving and healthy cactus and all their cousins and neighbors. The cactus forest trail was woven into the standing sentential cactus giants, likely places where few have ventured.

As I waited for Magoo and Bruce riding through a cactus forest, I killed the bike and listened for sound. I wandered into the maze, off the trail, out into the bush. The absence of sound is loud, I can hear my boots in the sand, I hear my pants swishing. I hear nothing but the wind. I have thoughts, not pleasant thoughts of what happened to Chris and Bruce?

I found this.

This is where I left the trail while waiting for the team behind me

I am jumping ahead. Day 5 is a lazy day. Our morning was typical of Cortez morning glory, replicated to all visitors who come here.

The coffee is thick, hot, aromatic; Baja on the beach - morning sun enhanced.

Text Book picture here. I think we all took this picture.

Team Maggoo
Studly adventures

Our next segment is a beach side meeting. It was spectacular, the team is now well grounded. Brotherhood and spirituality are combined as we walk down the beach to azure blue water, gem stones can be compared to this color. The stage is set, and the stage is spectacular.

Oh yea, thanks for those peeping in; to those lurkers. Curtis told me to look at the view count. Awesome!

AteamNM screwed with this post 03-25-2013 at 10:04 AM
AteamNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:17 AM   #108
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,885
Nice ride---and map

Really enjoying your ride guys.

This map posted below is so neat---------shows your approximate route and points stuff out with names and arrows.
What software do you use to do that-------I can post a map with my track and waypoints with a screenshot from mapsource---but I can't put text and other stuff like you did--------really nice. !!!

BigDog

2013 Husky 650 TR650 Terra
BigDogAdventures is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:14 AM   #109
pprO.R.A.
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
Gettin' my fix

Been along for the whole trip. Great RR team magoo, and nice descriptive narative Ateam!!! Reading this Baja stuff might make the snow out in my drive melt,,,, so I won't really have to go shovel
Old 03-24-2013, 09:40 AM   #110
_Magoo_
master of disaster....

Oddometer: 5,324
beach side ceremony

After a great sunrise

huevos con chorizo and some hot coffee, we walked down to the beach and scattered some of my good friend David Garret's ashes.....

David & I had been planning this ride down to Baja for the last year, David passed away in November (spent his last day riding the Monticello Box in southern New Mexico with me)------I lost a great friend...

I had made a promise to scatter some of his ashes at San Francisquito, and Tony rode David's DRZ on the Baja trip as well!.....I think we all felt a special bond with David during our ride.

San Francisquito is such a cool place, if you get a chance to ride in Baja, do yourself a favor and check it out!

_Magoo_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:08 PM   #111
tilliejacques
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by AteamNM View Post

wow, have you sold these to Corona yet for an ad?
Old 03-24-2013, 10:13 PM   #112
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 5,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilliejacques View Post
wow, have you sold these to Corona yet for an ad?

Old 03-24-2013, 10:29 PM   #113
AteamNM OP
Wonna Be ADVrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com View Post
This map posted below is so neat---------shows your approximate route and points stuff out with names and arrows.
What software do you use to do that-------

BigDog

BigDog, The map is a basic AAA highway map that I scanned. I then copy the PDF image and paste it into PowerPoint. From PP, I can add text, other photos, etc. Then save as a Jpeg file. Done but also a lot of work. Like going around your fingers to get to your thumb.

I like maps and posting up a descriptive route is a bonus.

Quote:
burque magoo beach side ceremony

I was hoping that Chris would chime in here.

AteamNM screwed with this post 03-25-2013 at 10:09 AM
Old 03-25-2013, 12:11 AM   #114
jesse18
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Beach side ceremony was nice guys. I am sure your friend felt very proud his bike got to experience this Baja adventure with his soul along for the ride. I beliefe you had a great frieend watching over you guys. I have heard good things from Ateam about him. Sorry for your loss mate. Way to go on taking him with you on the ride!
jesse18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:14 AM   #115
AteamNM OP
Wonna Be ADVrider

Laugh

Back to the beach. Hey Chuck, time to wake up.

I only met David Garret once in my life. This was my first ride report and my first real ADV ride. http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=827492

Here is the opening paragraph.

Newb First ADV Ride Report - Western Jemez NM

So last night I invited myself along on a West Jemez ride today. The peeps I followed were ubber awesome.
Mark led the pack around the mountains for over 60 miles following a map, a GPS and a lot from his memory.
If I rode out here by myself I would end up in Mexico. We made 17 left turns and 19 right turns from one
trail to another. Burq Magoo replied to my PM last night, he was likely thinking oh geez a newb wants to
ride with us. I pm'ed him back, he didn't reply until like 5:35 this morning. So they said meet at Walatowa,
the Indian C store in Jemez Springs at 9:30 and I was there by 9:25, huba huba !!! They were there.

David came up and welcomed me largely, he really was happy I came so the karma vibe is groovin'.

This is David on his DRZ.

Tight little hill climb - David and Magoo

Buddies

Ateam in action with the handy plug kit & pump, assisting David for the slab run down to Walatowa!

This was my only encounter with David. I know him a bit better. I know his bike well. There is a motorcyclist karma bond that has a way of turning an ordinary motorcycle into something more. I have a relationship with another bike named Jo Jo. I am riding David's bike, maybe carrying his spirit across Baja while Chris carried a Crown Royal bag around Baja, containing David's ashes.

Chris announce to us before the trip that we would have a beach side service or a memorial for David in San Francisquito.

Describe this color or colors.

As the ashes are scattered on the beach, Magoo stands back, nothing is said.

I was thinking how incredible that David has such a friend that would do this for him. By this simple act of respect and love, David lives on through each of you that share our ride, toast with us in the evening, share our campfire. I sent Magoo an email when we got back, I told him I forgot to say thank you, I forgot to say how much I appreciate your friendship and spirit on this ride. I never have been able to thank David; so thank you David Garret. RIP.

The water slowly rolled closer and closer to the ashes. Every successive wave took a little bit more of his ashes, several cycles repeated itself, bit by bit the ashes washed away. My moto on this trip has been, I"'m just glad to be here, proud to be part of the team, and willing to contribute in any way I can". Standing on the beach with Team Magoo, I was very proud to be here and part of the team. The walk back up to our bikes in the deep sand was silent. Our eyes were filled with tears, all of us. Spirituality in our own individual way, I think so. Brotherhood was not individual, it was shared. David's memorial service was the common thread that bound us on this beautiful morning. Huba huba!

Our hosts were just simple, friendly, gracious and I truly believe they are happy.

It's time to leave, I don't want to in a way but then I'm also out of sorts, not riding at this time of day. The first four days was get up and go. I will never forget the details of our stay here. I know in my heart I will return there some day, hell maybe it will be my ashes? Memories and mental pictures are abundant from our visit, here is one image that is a mental Jpeg.

Our departure included a cruise and inspection if the little town. We rode over to a little bay. As we leave I tell the team that I will make this turn in the deep sand without a dab.

Quote:
What do you think? Do I dab or was it a clean?
I make the little yellow bike look small.

The Green Door Trail. Kevin told us this is all a part of a large ranch. I can only speculate that a dozer came through here and made this road or trail a long time ago. In many places there was rubble scree that appears to have been pushed. Could this have been done by human hands a much longer time ago? I can't imagine.

Pure Baja

Remember when I got off track and was waiting for Bruce and Chris?

Quote:
This is where I left the trail while waiting for the team behind me
The reason I waited and took my little hike was yes indeed, my worries were well founded. After @ 22 minutes, I heard the bikes. I asked what happened.

MacGyver too the rescue. This was not the last time that Team Magoo needed Bruce's emergency medical assistance. Fortunately, Chris had no skin & cacti needle contact. ATGATT saved him so much pain. Severe cactus needles can put a person into shock.

The Green Door Trail has a great variety of desert and open roads. The ride this day was just so much typical Baja. There was deep sand spots and of course rocky roads, but mostly just cruising and soaking in the remote landscape of cactus, sage and desert.

We stop at a jail house in the middle of nothing. A 2 man prison and the thought of being confined to this rock and mortar hell is scary, the place was a bit creepy.

Big Sprocket says I need a beer!

Chuck, Mr. Speed Control Issues

The final road into the Bay of LA, Bahia de los Angeles, our final stretch of 50 mph gravel road cruising allows Bruce to jump off the road and hit a sandy whoop road running parallel. We called this the Johnny Campell ride. Maybe I can post up a bit of video of Bruce, AKA Johnny Campbell ripping?

The views of the Sea of Cortez from a distant jump out, such a contrast of browns, tans and grey and a sharp contrast of the blue water.

Our ride into town following Kevin took us to a beach side restaurant and a beautiful outdoor patio, Guirrimo's.
Note we always toast with our left hand, closest to the heart.

Our lodging for the night was at Costa del Sol. Incredibly nice rooms and the folks that own and operate this place were again, spectacular, typical lovely people.

Baja sunset from the parking lot.

We ate at the hotel, we drank margarita's, our day was again most large and fun.

Tomorrow we make our way to Coco's. I have been so excited to meet this el famouso man of character. I say Coco for president! Kevin puts 3 digits on his speedometer and we have our first gremlin strike, an 8 pack wait.

AteamNM screwed with this post 03-26-2013 at 09:17 AM
Old 03-25-2013, 08:47 AM   #116
Captain Nemo
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Tony , thanx for the pictures of David Garret. Nice to have a visual of the man I feel I know as a riding buddy ,but never met.

The Green Door Trail was tough!! Bruce & I both shed our jackets about 2 mi. in. I remember Magoo warning us of cactus encounters with our sleeve-less arms,but we told him it would be OK.Good thing he didn't follow our lead!!! Looks like the jacket saved Magoo ALOT of pain.

The Bay of LA was just beautiful! I am partial to mountains , but I could get used to this place!!
Captain Nemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:52 AM   #117
Bg22
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Great RR guys!
Bg22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:37 AM   #118
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Quote:
As the ashes are scattered on the beach, Magoo stands back, nothing is said.

I was thinking how incredible that David has such a friend that would do this for him. By this simple act of respect and love, David lives on through each of you that share our ride, toast with us in the evening, share our campfire. I sent Magoo an email when we got back, I told him I forgot to say thank you, I forgot to say how much I appreciate your friendship and spirit on this ride. I never have been able to thank David; so thank you David Garret. RIP.

The water slowly rolled closer and closer to the ashes. Every successive wave took a little bit more of his ashes, several cycles repeated itself, bit by bit the ashes washed away. My moto on this trip has been, I"'m just glad to be here, proud to be part of the team, and willing to contribute in any way I can". Standing on the beach with Team Magoo, I was very proud to be here and part of the team. The walk back up to our bikes in the deep sand was silent. Our eyes were filled with tears, all of us. Spirituality in our own individual way, I think so. Brotherhood was not individual, it was shared. David's memorial service was the common thread that bound us on this beautiful morning. Huba huba!

Tony, this was truely an epic post.

I had met David three times but never had the pleasure of riding with him. He was the kind of person that the first time you met him it felt like you had been life long friends. Very special thing that Chris and Team Magoo did here. I'm sure David was looking down on you guys on this journey and was proud to have called you friends. GodSpeed David.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:41 AM   #119
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Quote:

Holy crap Magoo!!! You never told me about this part of the trip! Man you are fortunate to have had the gear you are wearing when this happened. Glad nothing got through to the skin!
Old 03-25-2013, 07:20 PM   #120
advrockrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
tears, check

Here I sit with tears in my eyes, two years ago I spread my moms ashes on that same beach and slept in the same palapa... Maybe, just maybe Dave and my mom are having a good laugh togeather, talking about how these crazy moto guys run all over mexico and then spread their ashes in dam near the same spot.. love the report and wish I had met dave, thanks for sharing....
advrockrider is offline   Reply With Quote