Oddometer: 6,146
Wow!
joenuclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:39 PM   #122
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,641
Wonderful RR

I'm lucky enough to ride off road and DS in Spoutheast Asia through unspoiled coutries. Sadly I've not yet done Baja on a motorbike and its ride reports like this that make me want to get there. Many RR's I read consist of nothing but fireroad, yours has a nice variety which makes the riding that much more enjoyable.

Are the interesting single track and technically challenging sections on maps, were they shown to Magoo on previous rides or were they scoured out on Google Earth?

Can you stetch you trip for another week or so?
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:46 PM   #123
_Magoo_
master of disaster....

Oddometer: 5,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by advrockrider View Post
Here I sit with tears in my eyes, two years ago I spread my moms ashes on that same beach and slept in the same palapa... Maybe, just maybe Dave and my mom are having a good laugh togeather, talking about how these crazy moto guys run all over mexico and then spread their ashes in dam near the same spot.. love the report and wish I had met dave, thanks for sharing....
Cool, advrockrider---great to hear that us moto folks all share a common appreciation for beautiful spots like San Francisquito, and our family/loved ones!

Ride on, my brother!

Magoo

_Magoo_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:03 PM   #124
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 5,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post
I'm lucky enough to ride off road and DS in Spoutheast Asia through unspoiled coutries. Sadly I've not yet done Baja on a motorbike and its ride reports like this that make me want to get there. Many RR's I read consist of nothing but fireroad, yours has a nice variety which makes the riding that much more enjoyable.

Are the interesting single track and technically challenging sections on maps, were they shown to Magoo on previous rides or were they scoured out on Google Earth?

Can you stetch you trip for another week or so?
I'll answer this for Big Sprocket (Kevin) since he only lurks on here occasionally. The Team Magoo pretty much followed Big Sprocket's routes that he has learned over many years of Baja Trips and touring. Kevin has a wealth of knowledge of various routes through northern and southern Baja; single track, remote two track, beaches, race course routes, fire roads, sand washes, pavement and sometimes just cross country! Some of what he knows and rides is on maps, but much was just learned from years of riding Baja with various other experienced riders, exploring, getting lost and helping burn in new single track trails. We are all very fortunate to have tagged along on one of his trips (mine in 2010) and hope to do more! It would take years to learn the roads, routes and trails that Team Magoo did in this one trip!
As far as two weeks or more...no problem! If that much time is available, just take the trip to the tip! Tip to tip to Cabo would be an awesome adventure for sure! Even just in Baja California Norte there is plenty for multiple weeks of riding.

NMTrailboss screwed with this post 03-25-2013 at 09:53 PM
NMTrailboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:18 PM   #125
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Thge ole local knowledge and experience trumps all. Thank you for the response.

Again an awesome RR and a fitting tribute to your mate that has passed.

Do the Mexican GPS maps by Bicamp (sp?) lay out only the large birck and mortar fuel stations or do they also give locations of ranches and potential sources of fuel, IE barrel drums? Or is it like here where you roll into a village and just start asking aorund?

Old 03-26-2013, 06:34 AM   #126
_Magoo_
master of disaster....

Quote:
Thge ole local knowledge and experience trumps all. Thank you for the response.

Again an awesome RR and a fitting tribute to your mate that has passed.

Do the Mexican GPS maps by Bicamp (sp?) lay out only the large birck and mortar fuel stations or do they also give locations of ranches and potential sources of fuel, IE barrel drums? Or is it like here where you roll into a village and just start asking aorund?
GPS only shows the government-run Pemex stations (if you're lucky)---
whenever we rode through a village or group of small houses, you look for the white plywood homemade signs with "gasolina" painted in red letters...(or look for 55 gallon drums, ask around, etc)

Old 03-26-2013, 07:52 AM   #127
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 5,874
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by burque magoo View Post
GPS only shows the government-run Pemex stations (if you're lucky)---
whenever we rode through a village or group of small houses, you look for the white plywood homemade signs with "gasolina" painted in red letters...(or look for 55 gallon drums, ask around, etc)

Or, once again, rely on Kevin to know where all the remote gas barrels lilve in each village!

Old 03-26-2013, 10:11 AM   #128
AteamNM OP
Wonna Be ADVrider

Oddometer: 3,570
Day 6, only 2 more riding days left.

The bikes are corralled and waiting. Every bike started every time, never ever an issue with a non starting bike. What a blessing.

What a pretty lady, she just seemed like a mother and treated us like sons.

Coastal mountains, massive and majestic. From Bay of LA, we went due north along the coast.

Beach side riding always has sections of deep sand.

A few team members take off their jacket. Not me, I was too chicken knowing I would surely do a Cacti-Magoo.

We soon found the single track very technical, climbing out of a narrow canyon along the coast. At this point, we are turning back west, inland. Trial trails!

Twisted geology, violent upheaval resulted in the rock formation being turned up on it's side, compressed, pressured and contorted.

Chuck watching Kevin navigate down a rocky single track, also not an option to fall to the right in some steep areas.

As I said earlier, I thought we had ridden everything Baja had to offer. So wrong.

Kevin and his big jugs.

Captain Magoo, I wonder what he was thinking.

The technical trail that is part of the Window Rock Trail system was so much fun. Every section was attempted to take no dabs. All my skills were used to ride this trail righteously.

Bruce took many awesome flower pictures. For Little Wan and her friend Lady Bug.

This trail rocks.

After the Window Rock, it was more typical Baja weather; HOT.

We entered a large lake bed, maybe 20 miles across.

Here again Chuck struggles with his throttle, he has issues. The throttle won't go any farther.

We stop and I am pumped, Holy Cow! Kevin shows us his GPS, 101 miles per hour. I have never went over 90 miles an hour on a motorcycle, on pavement; FFFFKKKK.
The DRZ may have went 65 mph across the playa.

After the lake bed, we found barrel gas at the intersection of Highway 1. We have traveled about 60 miles so far, the Window Rock rivaled the technical scale and difficulty of Mike's Sky Ranch when we left there. I like this type of riding in the mountains, single track is just pure off road riding.

After barrel gas and a short run on the slab, we turn to go visit Coco.

We also meet Kacey Smith, the Lizard Lady. More about her later, she is the Baja Bomb.

AteamNM screwed with this post 03-26-2013 at 10:20 AM
AteamNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:52 AM   #129
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 22,059
Really enjoying the report guys!

One of my favorites from 2007.

It looks like the palapas at San Fransicito have been upgraded. We slept in sand filled cots with the wind blowing more sand through the walls all night.

Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:26 PM   #130
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

And no whoops, haha.

Luv the single track, on multi day rides its like dessert after a fine entrée.

What was your longest stretch between fuel stops?

Old 03-26-2013, 04:58 PM   #131
AteamNM OP
Wonna Be ADVrider

Hey I am thrilled your riding with us. I have a friend in Thailand

Quote:
team ftb And no whoops, haha.

Luv the single track, on multi day rides its like dessert after a fine entrée.

What was your longest stretch between fuel stops?
The KTM's at sea level drank petro. My guess would be 130 miles. There was a few points where they were on reserve and a couple of times flat out ran out of gas. But we always had extra fuel as well as the Exxon Valdez (DRZ) could spit out a gallon for the Team Magoo effort and go another 100 miles. I think really in Baja a range of 200 miles is more than adequate.

We got a Coco vid coming soon......
Old 03-26-2013, 06:24 PM   #132
_Magoo_
master of disaster....

Actually, the "finely tuned Austrian orange machines" all had a range of around 200miles....the day from Guerrero Negro to San Francisquito probably was the longest at around 225 miles total (especially after backtracking from the Mission over to El Arco and back to Rancho Piedra Blanca/San Francisquito....

Old 03-26-2013, 06:52 PM   #133
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 901

Victoria is the gracious owner of Costa del Sol....and has some business interest in one of the Pemex stations.....

She really does her best to accommodate thirsty, hungry, dirty, stinky dirtbikers

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:44 PM   #134
AteamNM OP
Wonna Be ADVrider

Quote:
Actually, the "finely tuned Austrian orange machines" all had a range of around 200 KM's's....the day from Guerrero Negro to San Francisquito probably was the longest at around 225 miles total (especially after backtracking from the Mission over to El Arco and back to Rancho Piedra Blanca/San Francisquito....

iFxed
Oops, what the hell do I know. I'm a newbie and wonna be ADV poser.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:33 PM   #135
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Quote:
Actually, the "finely tuned Austrian orange machines" all had a range of around 200miles....the day from Guerrero Negro to San Francisquito probably was the longest at around 225 miles total (especially after backtracking from the Mission over to El Arco and back to Rancho Piedra Blanca/San Francisquito....
I take it the "range" included fuel jugs correct? No way I got 200 miles out of my 3.2 Clark tank on my 525.