Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2014, 02:15 PM   #136
trekkar
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Thanks all for the info about the 2up riding. Pretty much what i wanted to hear about the 1190r as thats the bike i was leaning towards. With such a big price difference i could get custom seats and still be way ahead.
trekkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 03:59 PM   #137
RobZorba
RobZorba

Oddometer: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekkar View Post
Thanks all for the info about the 2up riding. Pretty much what i wanted to hear about the 1190r as thats the bike i was leaning towards. With such a big price difference i could get custom seats and still be way ahead.
I don't think you need go to the expense of custom seats. The optional KTM Powerparts Ergo seats are extremely comfortable both for rider and passenger, and are about half the price of custom seats e.g Corbin. Also they have heaters in case you do any winter riding. There is a comfort kit package that includes the Ergo seats, KTM heated grips and a pretty good touring screen, costing 621.86 GBP in the UK. Your KTM dealer will be able to give you a quote for the 1190R with the "comfort kit package" installed. Imo best get the dealer to do the wiring, it's not straightforward.
Old 03-30-2014, 04:02 PM   #138
scudrunner82
human whoopy cushion

Oddometer: 1,542
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekkar View Post

I can echo all the positive comments regarding 2 up riding on the 1190. I have the R model and the one piece seat was found very comfy by my girlfriend. From a rider standpoint the bike is awesome with the extra passenger, even better than my previous bike, a Super Tenere. I'm struggling to find anything this bike WONT do amazingly well.

350, 450, 848, 900, 1190r

"Adventure is worthwhile in itself" -Amelia Earheart
scudrunner82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 04:28 PM   #139
strider.deano
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Why do you prefer KTM 1190 over new R 1200 GS?

The wife didn't find the Ergo seats anymore comfortable that the Std seats. And the cost of the Ergo is actually greater than most custom seats. After about 1100 miles in two weeks, I find that the Std rider seat is not as good as the stock 800XC. Windshields, seats, bars and pegs are all very personal. No oem can make them perfect for everyone. The 1190 will be a fantastic bike for the 15k-20k solo miles I'll ride this year.

Tapatalk response filtered through the NSA.

strider.deano screwed with this post 03-30-2014 at 04:50 PM
strider.deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 04:42 PM   #140
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZorba View Post
I don't think you need go to the expense of custom seats. The optional KTM Powerparts Ergo seats are extremely comfortable both for rider and passenger, and are about half the price of custom seats e.g Corbin. Also they have heaters in case you do any winter riding. There is a comfort kit package that includes the Ergo seats, KTM heated grips and a pretty good touring screen, costing 621.86 GBP in the UK. Your KTM dealer will be able to give you a quote for the 1190R with the "comfort kit package" installed. Imo best get the dealer to do the wiring, it's not straightforward.
I have an 1190R and the cut-out seat did not fit my size person at all. forcing me to sit on the back edge of the cut-out and making it difficult to move around. Custom seats are available at much lower cost than the Powerparts Ergo seat. James Renazco made mine and it's the best farkle for my bike so far.

2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 05:59 PM   #141
kag
Wander Lust

Oddometer: 1,239
The guy I ride with has a new GS1200 and he loves the bike. We have done several 300 miles trips including another one today. The GS1200 is a great bike as is the 1190. He has 4 things on his bike that I wish was on the 1190.

Cruise Control
Shaft Drive
Larger Fuel Tank
36month warranty

The 1190 is faster and more powerful but his GS is not a slug either. I think the 1190 ergo seats are good and even better with sheep skin on it. Personally the 1190 is the right bike for me and and the GS is right bike for him. I also chose the KTM because of its off rode genes

2007 Yamaha TW 200 / 2008 Buell Ulysses
2013 Triumph Tiger 800r / 2014 KTM 1190 EDS
kag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 05:21 PM   #142
cvt1967
n00b

Oddometer: 3
1190r

I have riden GS's for the last decade and the only one I felt had any soul was the 1100's and some 1150's. The newer ones are just too much of no excitement. I couldn't deal with the 4k+ rpm vibrations anymore. I just bought the 1190R and I can say it is light years different than any GS. GS's are great for what they are and as we all know 90% road 10% dirt is realistic. Every time I took my 2006 GS ADV off road I just felt unstable and out of place. I have ridden dirt since I was a kid and still could not get comfortable trying to convince myself that the GS ADV could do anything more than mild off road.

I have not had the 1190R long enough to give it a real opinion but out of the gate it commands more respect and lets you know it is a thoroughbred. I think with an experienced rider the 1190 is more than capable on and off road and I truly consider it a 50/50 bike which is what I wanted. I have mad respect for BMW and had amazing rides with mine but I feel like I have moved to the next level of capability with the 1190R. Super machines like any bike at this level will never be at the top of the reliability scale but will always serve up the fun factor. The 1190R seems to serve up larger portions that's for sure!! I just feel fortunate that I can experience all of these different bikes and I am sure I will be extolling the virtues of something else in a couple of years, that's the fun of this hobby!! Cars, Guitars and Motorcycles I say!!!
cvt1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 07:15 PM   #143
ZOL
Retired !!!

Oddometer: 63
R12gsa vs 1190r

You guys should really read the latest issue of Motorcycle Consumer News... Mostly off-road comparison of the 1200GSA and 1190R.

ZOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 09:13 PM   #144
BlueDownton
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Both great bikes

and anyone is privileged to ride either one despite their issues. Really appreciate both for different reasons. For me, the R is more dirt capable, lighter, safer, and sport mode is simply awesome.
BlueDownton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 07:08 AM   #145
charlie264
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,794
Just proves that the KTM 1190 is aimed at the GS buying market.
Old 07-08-2014, 01:03 PM   #146
Englishmatt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 526
Why do I prefer my 1190 R over a new GS?

Having been stranded by a late model GS twice (with failed final drives in very remote places), I'll say the CHAIN DRIVE.

After a couple of years of NO MORE FINAL DRIVE failures, perhaps I'll revisit it.

That said, honestly two different tools for the same job and choice should depend on how/where you plan to ride.

"I can't lead, I go too fast..." Scott Hinkle, 4/2010
Englishmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:03 PM   #147
PhilRio
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
On the market to buy ether one or maybe both for a rental company. We sold the 2008-990 Adv due the the consistent water pump problems and "complains" about the snappy throttle. We have the Tenere 1200 (no problems so far)
My biggest concern it's:

MAINTENANCE cost in a long run. If, I say IF...nothing goes wrong, which one will be less time consuming to work on or should I say easy to work on?
(I know parts will be more for BMW) any toughs will be appreciate.
PhilRio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 05:05 AM   #148
speed_racer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 704
Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilRio View Post
On the market to buy ether one or maybe both for a rental company. We sold the 2008-990 Adv due the the consistent water pump problems and "complains" about the snappy throttle. We have the Tenere 1200 (no problems so far)
My biggest concern it's:

MAINTENANCE cost in a long run. If, I say IF...nothing goes wrong, which one will be less time consuming to work on or should I say easy to work on?
(I know parts will be more for BMW) any toughs will be appreciate.
Having owned both the bmw 800cc and 1190 adv r, I'd say reliability is still with the bmw, once the teething process is sorted with the big kato, it's a better machine by far... The engine feels more lively (hardly a chance to open it up to full throttle unless u have balls of steel so maybe less wear and tear on the bike?), suspension is a shit load better, feels better off road.. I know if I had the choice between hiring a bmw or ktm, I'd go the ktm. It doesn't have the snappy throttle like the 990, it's smooth as silk.. But if u want the power, it feels unlimited..

The bmw 1200 is more road going but I think the ktm is better in off-road and on road due to power and balanced weight feel.. So I guess it's up to your target audience, if they are the grey hair cruising type, go the bmw.. If they are more of the lively/enthusiastic younger type, go the ktm..

RIP - BMW F650 GS Twin
speed_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 05:13 AM   #149
scudrunner82
human whoopy cushion

Oddometer: 1,542
"Why do you prefer KTM 1190 over new R 1200 GS?"

If you have to ask its probably the wrong bike for you

350, 450, 848, 900, 1190r

"Adventure is worthwhile in itself" -Amelia Earheart
scudrunner82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 05:17 AM   #150
antirich5
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
My issue with the GS (and other boxer motors) has always been the cylinders. Just can't avoid hitting my shins against them when moving the bike.

I will admit, the fit and finish on the GS is very nice. Clearly feels like a premium bike. The looks have really grown on me, and still make a double look when I see one.

Yet, the real killer was the price. Wasn't having much luck finding a discounted demo or used one (gsw), so I was looking at $20k, plus another $2k in parts (if I could control myself) considering that this is just a recreational purchase, I just couldn't hack the costs (have a race bike as well). Was also getting concerned about resale, considering how many were on the market.

Ended up finding a great deal on a 14 1190 ($13,900 w/1k miles) and that did it. Overall, I'm pretty happy, but still finding myself dumping a lot of $$$ into this bike. If I paid full retail, I wouldn't be happy with it.

Still adapting to this style of bike, and every ride is getting better. Hope I didn't make a mistake, considering that I'm doing the entire west coast and then back across Canada with it.

Only real issue I have is the 3000rpm stumble. I can ride around it, but for touring, I'd like to make it smoother. Vibrations are also an issue, but I think I can solve that.

Dragonfly Interactive
antirich5 is offline   Reply With Quote