Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2014, 02:13 PM   #151
PhilRio
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by speed_racer View Post
Having owned both the bmw 800cc and 1190 adv r, I'd say reliability is still with the bmw, once the teething process is sorted with the big kato, it's a better machine by far... The engine feels more lively (hardly a chance to open it up to full throttle unless u have balls of steel so maybe less wear and tear on the bike?), suspension is a shit load better, feels better off road.. I know if I had the choice between hiring a bmw or ktm, I'd go the ktm. It doesn't have the snappy throttle like the 990, it's smooth as silk.. But if u want the power, it feels unlimited..

The bmw 1200 is more road going but I think the ktm is better in off-road and on road due to power and balanced weight feel.. So I guess it's up to your target audience, if they are the grey hair cruising type, go the bmw.. If they are more of the lively/enthusiastic younger type, go the ktm..
Tks speed_racer, I think you are right about the target and we kind know the KTM it's more alive. We have more enthusiastic riders from 25 to 40 years old than "grey hair" We probably go with the 1190 Im waiting the 2015 hit the floor to se if they fixed the heat and air filter issue. But we got a better price on 2015 gs1200 (no ESA, no LED light, basic one) and the warranty on BMW really attracts me, KTm will charge extra.
PhilRio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 11:20 PM   #152
Bluesilver
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilRio View Post
Tks speed_racer, I think you are right about the target and we kind know the KTM it's more alive. We have more enthusiastic riders from 25 to 40 years old than "grey hair" We probably go with the 1190 Im waiting the 2015 hit the floor to se if they fixed the heat and air filter issue. But we got a better price on 2015 gs1200 (no ESA, no LED light, basic one) and the warranty on BMW really attracts me, KTm will charge extra.
Then rather wait for the 1290 motor, it's coming. I still have the "OLD" 1190 Adventure, no time yet to ride and trade in on the BMW and will say, reliability, KTM...sux...KTM support..........I've ridden the GS and very impressed, no where near the KTM's level of fun but then again, it's an Adventure bike, I want fun in the dirt I ride my KTM300, I want fun on tar I buy a Superbike...Adventure is comfort, RELIABILITY and service, this is where KTM sux piles.

Bluesilver screwed with this post 08-11-2014 at 02:03 AM
Bluesilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 09:31 AM   #153
rattis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,082
I would've bought one but for the fold on the tank, hits my knees
and an absolute shite windscreenand and no cruise.
Engine-wise it sure beats the shit out of the BMW.
Not so much the power but it's smoother and the gearbox is a delight.
A hybrid would be nice!

rattis screwed with this post 08-12-2014 at 07:25 AM
rattis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 11:01 AM   #154
v8toilet
Nothing to see here.

Oddometer: 1,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilRio View Post
As much as I love my KTMs the company is not quick to correct issues. If you want one buy one and fix the flaws. The 690 has a number of known issues including an airbox that leaks dust a la the 1190 and the company has made almost no effort to fix them despite the fact that they have made other changes over the last 6 years. They issued a quiet recall for the early years but the later models exhibit the same problems.
v8toilet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 05:14 AM   #155
kreidlerman
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Took a testride with both r1200gs lc and ktm adventure. The 1200 gs felt really like a terrific bike. I liked the exhaust roar, the cruise control and wind protection. Handling was great.

What I didn't like about the beemer: I stalled the bike twice (lighter flywheel - less grunt at low rpm), peddling away backwards out of a parking lot makes you look like a ballerina, because your legs are caught between the footpegs and the cylinders. And most of all, like the bmw salesman said: even a novice can ride this bike. It's all too easy and even al little bit boring on this motorcycle.

KTM 1190 adv - just after a few meters on the 1190 I knew I was going to buy one, it felt and sounded like a awesome bike!
What I liked about the 1190: the overall feeling on the bike : clutch,gearing,
e-suspension, active riding postion, endless powerflow : just perfect!
Sportmodus is really insane for a touring-adventure bike!
Final drive by chain: adds to the lightness of the bike, gives also more feedback. Shaft drive would spoil a lot of fun.

What I didn't like: no cruise control, windprotection is ok but not as good as the beemer. Can' t think of anything else.

So I ended up trading in my once beloved F800GS for a grey 1190 adventure.

Making LC8-noises ever since. My colleagues think I'm mad , but they never took a ride on a KTM.

greetings

K.
Attached Images

kreidlerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 06:54 AM   #156
antirich5
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreidlerman View Post

KTM 1190 adv - just after a few meters on the 1190 I knew I was going to buy one, it felt and sounded like a awesome bike!
Final drive by chain: adds to the lightness of the bike, gives also more feedback. Shaft drive would spoil a lot of fun.

What I didn't like: no cruise control, windprotection is ok but not as good as the beemer. Can' t think of anything else.

K.

Aftermarket windscreen will cure the wind issue; and for the price of a BMW sweatshirt

I've gotten my 1190 in all sorts of downshill pickles where i thought i'd have to have to call for help. Every time i was able to push it backwards while on the bike (and this was loaded with cases and gear). The maneuverability of such a large bike always amazes me; feels 100 lbs lighter than it is.

I liked the beemer too, mainly the fit and finish. But those damn cylinders; always banging into my shins when moving the bike. I do like the simple 4-button contolls of the KTM; very easy to pick up in seconds. Switching preload on the fly has also came in handy too.

Dragonfly Interactive
antirich5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 07:40 AM   #157
Barekat
Looking to get dirty

Oddometer: 197
Do you find the weight and size of the 1190 to be about the same as the F800GS?

I wonder if that's why you felt more comfortable on the 1190 vs the R1200GS??
Quote:

Making LC8-noises ever since. My colleagues think I'm mad , but they never took a ride on a KTM.

greetings

K.
1984 GPz550
1973 CB350
Barekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 08:55 AM   #158
kreidlerman
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barekat View Post
Do you find the weight and size of the 1190 to be about the same as the F800GS?

I wonder if that's why you felt more comfortable on the 1190 vs the R1200GS??
Hello Barekat

The 1190 is and feels a little heavier as the f800gs, but low low speed manouvring is as easy as on the F8gs.
My F8gs was a lot taller (40 mm difference in saddleheight) than my1190, I could barely touch the ground with both feet, but this was not really an issue for me.

The 1200 gs has about the same weight /height as the 1190 adventure, so no real difference for me there to feel more comfortable on the 1190.

No, it's the fact that the KTM has a certain "je ne sais quoi" to make you feel good on the bike and gives you the impression to become a better rider every time you take it for a spin.

The BMW is a fantastic bike, but it simply lacks the magic....

K.
kreidlerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 10:10 AM   #159
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,101
1 Word: FUN

I had a 1150 GSA ( it's not a 1200) I sold it in 08 didn't ride again until earlier this year. when I bought a 950S (again not an 1190). I never had this much fun on a motorcycle since my 79 Triumph Bonniville. Isn't that why we buy motorcycles? I've owned six different BMW's over the years Airheads,oilheads NONE of them compare to the Fun factor this bike has.
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 01:02 PM   #160
evermore
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 731
Quote:
Hello Barekat

The 1190 is and feels a little heavier as the f800gs, but low low speed manouvring is as easy as on the F8gs.
My F8gs was a lot taller (40 mm difference in saddleheight) than my1190, I could barely touch the ground with both feet, but this was not really an issue for me.

The 1200 gs has about the same weight /height as the 1190 adventure, so no real difference for me there to feel more comfortable on the 1190.

No, it's the fact that the KTM has a certain "je ne sais quoi" to make you feel good on the bike and gives you the impression to become a better rider every time you take it for a spin.

The BMW is a fantastic bike, but it simply lacks the magic....

K.
I wonder how the 1190 compares fun wise to a 950 Super Enduro.... Anyone have first hand experience with both?
evermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 12:59 AM   #161
OrangeV
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 510
Quote:
Took a testride with both r1200gs lc and ktm adventure. The 1200 gs felt really like a terrific bike. I liked the exhaust roar, the cruise control and wind protection. Handling was great.

What I didn't like about the beemer: I stalled the bike twice (lighter flywheel - less grunt at low rpm), peddling away backwards out of a parking lot makes you look like a ballerina, because your legs are caught between the footpegs and the cylinders. And most of all, like the bmw salesman said: even a novice can ride this bike. It's all too easy and even al little bit boring on this motorcycle.

greetings

K.
That my friend is the best thing that I have heard anyone say about the 1190
I have the 2014 model and everytime time i ride it Kapoww it just amazes me at all the different levels it gives to the rider...
OrangeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 01:48 PM   #162
tykebe
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekkar View Post
I'm trying to decide on one of these 2 bikes. But I don't like to buy the first year so i may end up with a used XB12X for a year.
Anyone been riding 2up on there 1190r? I'm assuming the GSAW would be better but by how much?
Had the opportunity to ride '14 1190 and '14GSA with the wife on . The beemer has much better highway manners with another on it. Leaning towards the White (and Blue) light.
tykebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 08:11 PM   #163
JBird
Retriever

Oddometer: 817
Quote:
Originally Posted by tykebe View Post
Had the opportunity to ride '14 1190 and '14GSA with the wife on . The beemer has much better highway manners with another on it. Leaning towards the White (and Blue) light.
You ought to try a Goldwing. If it were not for the headsets you wouldn't even know she was back there.
'08 Goldwing
'98 Golden Retriever
JBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 03:25 AM   #164
Adventure boy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 494
I bought a 1190Adventure R because over the last 3 years ive had a number of bikes starting with the 990Adventure that I sold to buy a 1200GS Rallye 2012 model sold that due to the silly attitude of BMW with the annual service of 230.00 for what they described as an oil change !! and the face the bike was Mint but had some corrosion that they wasn't prepared to look at as the 2nd annual service was booked in a week after its 2nd birthday, needless to say that was gone!!
Bought a Honda Crosstourer great bike quite quick quite good handling Honda reliability but after a month got bored as its got no soul or real Excitement value (albeit the one button for the TC is Good)
Traded that for a 1200 Explorer great bike loved it, was then told by the dealer it needed the head replaced !! Sold that went and bought another Crosstourer thinking the Honda reliability to be key, 2 months and traded that for another 1200 Explorer this time a brand new one with every bell and whistle in the Triumph catalogue it was superb, a great bike with no engine issues and a great dealer back up I was very Happy, then I saw the Adv R and thought yes you will be mine
Got a great deal for a new one without the top box and panniers, with engine bars heated grips so did the deal
To say Im delighted is an understatement at best the deals to get here have cost me a fortune but Im happy with what ive got and the main word Id use to describe the KTM is FUN with a capital F
great bike plenty fast enough great handling have started to Farkle it with
Adjustable top screen, Wings Shortie, Sat Nav, H/B Gobi Top box with custom mount, and lots more bits to personalise, back from a 600 mile ride last weekend and I Love it
Rob
Old 10-30-2014, 05:55 AM   #165
evermore
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure boy View Post
I bought a 1190Adventure R because over the last 3 years ive had a number of bikes starting with the 990Adventure that I sold to buy a 1200GS Rallye 2012 model sold that due to the silly attitude of BMW with the annual service of 230.00 for what they described as an oil change !! and the face the bike was Mint but had some corrosion that they wasn't prepared to look at as the 2nd annual service was booked in a week after its 2nd birthday, needless to say that was gone!!
Bought a Honda Crosstourer great bike quite quick quite good handling Honda reliability but after a month got bored as its got no soul or real Excitement value (albeit the one button for the TC is Good)
Traded that for a 1200 Explorer great bike loved it, was then told by the dealer it needed the head replaced !! Sold that went and bought another Crosstourer thinking the Honda reliability to be key, 2 months and traded that for another 1200 Explorer this time a brand new one with every bell and whistle in the Triumph catalogue it was superb, a great bike with no engine issues and a great dealer back up I was very Happy, then I saw the Adv R and thought yes you will be mine
Got a great deal for a new one without the top box and panniers, with engine bars heated grips so did the deal
To say Im delighted is an understatement at best the deals to get here have cost me a fortune but Im happy with what ive got and the main word Id use to describe the KTM is FUN with a capital F
great bike plenty fast enough great handling have started to Farkle it with
Adjustable top screen, Wings Shortie, Sat Nav, H/B Gobi Top box with custom mount, and lots more bits to personalise, back from a 600 mile ride last weekend and I Love it
Rob
Dumb question but how does it work with taxes in the UK? In California, we have to pay when we register a bike so that's 9.75% of the value on the title. Flipping bikes every few months just isn't an option here :(
evermore is offline   Reply With Quote