Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2013, 07:03 AM   #61
luckygrownup
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Does anyone near Annapolis,MD want to trade bikes on a ride sometime ?

I am kind of kicking myself for not test riding a KTM before getting my BMW R1200 GSA. I still am very curious how a 50lb lighter KTM 1090 and 80lb lighter KTM 990 feels. Are they immune to washouts when you over inflate your street tires and go dirt riding ? Yes, I learned counter-steering is bad in the dirt. So, I am learning.

My BMW seems to be too heavy and under powered to do a lot of fun things like pull wheelies except for first and second gear.

However, the R1200 GSA seems to have a bigger gas tank and I hear it is easier to work on. For example, it only took me an hour to change my oil at 3600 miles for the second oil change.
luckygrownup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:32 AM   #62
avc8130
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckygrownup View Post

I am kind of kicking myself for not test riding a KTM before getting my BMW R1200 GSA. I still am very curious how a 50lb lighter KTM 1090 and 80lb lighter KTM 990 feels. Are they immune to washouts when you over inflate your street tires and go dirt riding ? Yes, I learned counter-steering is bad in the dirt. So, I am learning.

My BMW seems to be too heavy and under powered to do a lot of fun things like pull wheelies except for first and second gear.

However, the R1200 GSA seems to have a bigger gas tank and I hear it is easier to work on. For example, it only took me an hour to change my oil at 3600 miles for the second oil change.
That's gonna be tough...I don't believe the Adventure 1190 exists in the US yet.

ac
avc8130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:50 PM   #63
Zuber
Zoob

Oddometer: 1,797
There may be a few 1190 KTM's here stateside this year. USA KTM dealers had an option to pick up the new Adventure Demo and ride them in Europe for 10 days, then get them shipped to the USA.

I've ridden the old 'low power' 150 hp RC8, nice motor. It is very easy to ride, idles good, pulls from 2000 rpm with no hesitation, no hit - just long strong pull that builds.

Don't be counting me as a BMW groupie. I'm done with them.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:51 PM   #64
speed_racer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckygrownup View Post

Yeah thats the prob i had with the f650 twin, not enough balls for a wheelie unless i did a traffic light take off and unnoticed that i dropped the clutch at 6000rpm+

I'd almost buy the 1190adv R for the 150bhp it has.. it would be fun to blow off sports bikes when your covered in mud from head to toe, the F650 used to do it to Harleys but only some sports bikes :)
speed_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:11 AM   #65
wantok
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
because......

Because its lighter, cheaper, more reliable, faster, has far better suspension, is more exciting, sounds better, looks better etc etc
wantok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:31 AM   #66
AdventureLeo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Hi there!

I just bought the KTM Adventure R and one of the main reasons was the price. Here in Germany you get the R for round about 15000€ (no discount I payed less) with almost all extras you need. It starts with a very good tool setup and ends with suspensions that are just excellent. I just added heading grips and the bad fuel dongle (+300€). The only thing now to add will be a motor protection (+250€). That's it - ready for the trip!

When u go for the new water cooled GS there is no chance to end up with this price. You will start somewhere around 17500€ and then there is still thins you want to put on the bike. ;-)

That's why I didn't even try the BMW. Had a 1150 Adventure before - switched to a KTM 690 Enduro. And now with the R I found something inbetween. Was thinking about a 800 BMW as well. The KTM was "just" 2000€ more but it's definately 2000€ more motorcycle you get.

Greetings Martin
Old 05-14-2013, 08:02 PM   #67
Jays-f800gs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
No experience with either, but what I did notice is most of the threads in Orange crush are about some failure of some sort.
Jays-f800gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:15 PM   #68
trailblazerider
n00b

Oddometer: 1
price of the R in Thailand is around Euro 33,000 or around USD 44,800

BMW GS LC is about the same...

A used, good condition GSA 2008 goes for about Euro 21,000 or USD 29,000...

No doubt, an adventure biker here needs to be a millionaire..
trailblazerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:18 PM   #69
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays-f800gs View Post
No experience with either, but what I did notice is most of the threads in Orange crush are about some failure of some sort.
Why does a Carrera need more maintenance than a Camry?

PG007
"Up there where you eat moose-cock you must all be rockets scientists."
triplenickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:56 PM   #70
Jays-f800gs
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplenickel View Post
Why does a Carrera need more maintenance than a Camry?
Just sold my 77' 930, I drive a tundra, :) and of coarse the f800gs.

I mentioned failure not maintenance, two different things. But really was just stirring the pot, it's not shocking that the ktm would be favored in the ktm forum, as would the bmw in its forum.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:59 PM   #71
v8toilet
Nothing to see here.

Oddometer: 1,712
Quote:
I had an f800 the rear wheel bearings and valve cover leaks were really nice... especially when they both failed again for the second time..... The garbage suspension was the deal killer. My 1200 was pretty good..... after I threw the suspension away and had the leaking rear trans seal replaced. KTM guys do mention fixing stuff quite a bit in the OC but the solutions that are developed are solid unlike BMW's repair of my 800.
v8toilet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:03 PM   #72
Jays-f800gs
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8toilet View Post
I had an f800 the rear wheel bearings and valve cover leaks were really nice... especially when they both failed again for the second time..... The garbage suspension was the deal killer. My 1200 was pretty good..... after I threw the suspension away and had the leaking rear trans seal replaced. KTM guys do mention fixing stuff quite a bit in the OC but the solutions that are developed are solid unlike BMW's repair of my 800.
Did you have an 09'?
Old 05-14-2013, 09:49 PM   #73
v8toilet
Nothing to see here.

Oddometer: 1,712
The first year model can't remember what year too many bikes. Had a Tundra too, and a Tacoma and a 4runner and a fj cruiser and a fj40 and a... I think you get the picture.
v8toilet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:16 AM   #74
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,422
Quote:
Just sold my 77' 930, I drive a tundra, :) and of coarse the f800gs.

I mentioned failure not maintenance, two different things. But really was just stirring the pot, it's not shocking that the ktm would be favored in the ktm forum, as would the bmw in its forum.
It's all in good fun I get that! Maintenance wasn't the right word but my poorly worded comparison was about boundary pushing performance based excitement vs boring turds. Ever wonder why a KLR is reliable? KTM failed on several fronts but the fixes are simple and solid, plus there's the demographic thing including who, where, and how they get ridden. Too bad Facet doesn't make a final drive!

Edit; just did a count on both forums KTM 13/40 threads on front page about problems, G Spot 11/40.

PG007
"Up there where you eat moose-cock you must all be rockets scientists."

triplenickel screwed with this post 05-15-2013 at 09:20 AM
triplenickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:39 AM   #75
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Oddometer: 74,798
Quote:
Nah, most of the threads are about inexperienced owners.

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote