Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2013, 11:23 AM   #76
JBird
Retriever

Oddometer: 781
I do think reading Orange Crush will scare the heck out of non owners or new owners.

To those that have owned these bikes and put miles on them most of these issues are minor, rare, on non-existent.

I am looking forward to the new 1190R getting here!! I just hate all my 950 farkles won't fit on it.
'08 Goldwing
'98 Golden Retriever
JBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:57 PM   #77
Blokkie
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Hi all, my first post here.

In a few weeks I can tell you a little about the difference between the BMW 1200GSA 2008 and the KTM 1190 R Adventure 2013. Both in the garage.

Most of the advantages for the 1190 has been mentioned here. Almost unlimited power, superior suspention are the ones that I can recognize.

On the other hand, the KTM has a smaller fueltank and uses more fuel.
Some people say the there is a big price difference, but I dont see it.
If I order a full option BMW 1200 GSA 2013 it would be around 22000 euro (28000 USD) The KTM full option was 21500 euro (27600 USD)

I decided to buy the KTM due to the miserable service and warranty terms of BMW.

The KTM is in service now (1000 milis) after that we will take her on a tour for 9 days

Blokkie (The Netherlands)
Blokkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 03:09 PM   #78
NKL
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Don't like either of them, they all look the same, wont be buying either of them I'll stick with my 990 thanks.
NKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 03:15 PM   #79
paulmlewis
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Me neither

I agree, I also prefer the 990... The 1190's look so ordinary.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:50 PM   #80
Jonny955
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmlewis View Post
I agree, I also prefer the 990... The 1190's look so ordinary.
I agree that, compared to the outgoing 990, the 1190s blend in a bit too much! I prefer the look of the R, in any case.

The thing is, the 9x0 polarised opinions and the marketing bods at KTM have realised that the relatively conservative, older biker who can afford to spend GS money is a different customer to the one who was turned on by rally looks and off-road kudos. They need to sell these in the bucketloads and someone, somewhere, has done the sums to dictate that the 9x0 looks were not suitable.

Looks aside, there are some advantages to the 9x0 bodywork. It acts as a full fairing with decent weather protection, it's easy to keep the bike clean and of course the weight of the fuel is as low as it can be. Maybe the perceived maintenance complication of taking it all off for a service was one reason why they dropped the flanking tanks?

Jon
Jonny955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:12 AM   #81
Blokkie
n00b

Oddometer: 6
For me its vice versa, the 990 looks like a ATB for me. Maybe its because I am 6.5 feet 220 LBS.

The biggest problem, I like them all, while mine is in service the dealer lent me an 990 Duke. A little mean thing
Blokkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 04:23 PM   #82
Dagwood_55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,298
I had a 07 GSA and liked it a lot. Good for eating up the miles and especially 2up and gear. But a little too big for me when exploring and poking around.

Now I'm riding a 07 990 S. And I love it, got it so farkeled out I will never get my money back. A blast to ride and goes most anywhere I want it to go on a big bike. And riding without wifey, It sounds like a race car, eats up rear tires on demand. Absolutly smooths out the roughest Nat Forest Roads that the Ozarks offer, as fast as you can hang on. Guzzels fuel, and looks cool to boot. I'm just not sure this kind of riding is what I'm after now. Even tho we ride the 990 2up, not really comfey enough for an extended trip, such as a 1000 miles to Big Bend and around, then back.

So lately, been thinking about longer, multi day trips with the wife. That GSA sure was nice for that. Carried us and all our gear without any complaints. And from what I'm reading the LC is even better.

So, blast away, but I'm seriously thinking about a demo ride on a LC GS and leave all that rugged, rough, rock infested roads that the 990 loves so well to you younger guys. And I'm not too sure the 1190 will be more of what I want either.

Maybe I can get my wife to let me buy a new LC GS. I'll tell her after I get it I'll sell the 990, but then it wont sell...
Old 05-16-2013, 07:14 PM   #83
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagwood_55 View Post
I had a 07 GSA and liked it a lot. Good for eating up the miles and especially 2up and gear. But a little too big for me when exploring and poking around.

Now I'm riding a 07 990 S. And I love it, got it so farkeled out I will never get my money back. A blast to ride and goes most anywhere I want it to go on a big bike. And riding without wifey, It sounds like a race car, eats up rear tires on demand. Absolutly smooths out the roughest Nat Forest Roads that the Ozarks offer, as fast as you can hang on. Guzzels fuel, and looks cool to boot. I'm just not sure this kind of riding is what I'm after now. Even tho we ride the 990 2up, not really comfey enough for an extended trip, such as a 1000 miles to Big Bend and around, then back.

So lately, been thinking about longer, multi day trips with the wife. That GSA sure was nice for that. Carried us and all our gear without any complaints. And from what I'm reading the LC is even better.

So, blast away, but I'm seriously thinking about a demo ride on a LC GS and leave all that rugged, rough, rock infested roads that the 990 loves so well to you younger guys. And I'm not too sure the 1190 will be more of what I want either.

Maybe I can get my wife to let me buy a new LC GS. I'll tell her after I get it I'll sell the 990, but then it wont sell...
That's what I would do. Is she the type that one day would say: "we need to talk?" Well, they all do that. Anyway, good idea and keep us posted, for amusement purposes.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:57 AM   #84
Tancakar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
Pissed

Some people are either jealous or they don't understand the bike ? 990 is a great bike but 1190 it's extraordinary bike ! Don't be bitter if your budget isn't reaching the bike I mean this days every thing is possible finance companies give good deals as well go and test ride it ! You won't be disappointed . Bmw and ktm complete different bikes ! If you guys saying its the same thing either you don't know the bikes or you just talking .i trade my 2012. Kawasaki ZZR 1400 well I would have trade anything cause it really suit my riding style . Guys don't be bitter about news ,new generations, electronics ,

For god sake some people still on about putting god dammed tube in to the tyres tubeless tyres are the best get over it! They are easy to repair and change ! Get over it !

All ktm community should welcome and impressed by the new bike it's not the prettiest thing but common guys ! Don't throw shitt on it!
Tancakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 02:53 PM   #85
SQD8R
Eat squids and be merry

Oddometer: 7,357
Man...

Saw all this back in 2004...
Married men don't live longer, it just seems longer.
Sour grapes are a lesser man's fruit.
SQD8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 07:57 PM   #86
moulin6801
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 167
Reading this is funny to see that people given Hell to the 1190 are the KTM riders themselves!!
Seems like the 990 and 950 are acting like older brothers that don't want a new sibling !
I ride BMW now, but I have owned most of brands.... I think the 1190R looks brilliant and I can't wait to take one for test drive!!
moulin6801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 08:16 PM   #87
Babatad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedrogomezrios View Post
I just realized that i like the 1190 more and i decided that i am going to change my 1200 GSA, but i am asking for help to try to understand why :) And explain that to my sponsor (wife)
Dear wife, love ya but its gonna be the 1190 in and GS out.
Babatad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 05:35 AM   #88
CanningOz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Why do I prefer 1190R over LC GS?

Just bought an 1190R because an LC would of been my fourth GS, and KTM has more hp and better off road. i also think the KTM is less boring than a GS - which although a brilliant bike, doesn't seem as exciting.

I have a sneaking suspicion I have made a mistake, but will see how I get along with the 1190 R over time.
CanningOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 06:04 AM   #89
Babatad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanningOz View Post
Why do I prefer 1190R over LC GS?

Just bought an 1190R because an LC would of been my fourth GS, and KTM has more hp and better off road. i also think the KTM is less boring than a GS - which although a brilliant bike, doesn't seem as exciting.

I have a sneaking suspicion I have made a mistake, but will see how I get along with the 1190 R over time.
I've never ridden a GS so can't really comment but I hope to get to try one because I'm sure it's also a very good bike. For now I can say I'm really enjoying my KaTooM
Babatad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:28 PM   #90
Bigem
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,531
Thumb

had both on my list, long time GS owner but when it came to updating I was really dissapointed in the 'cheapness' of some of the switch gear etc on the new GS. It also weighs about 20kg more in the same option spec, has less power and inferior quality suspension.

i am loving the light weight and awesome power of the 1190R.

i am more than happy with my choice!
And there's no place I'd rather be!!
Bigem is offline   Reply With Quote