Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2013, 05:45 PM   #106
speed_racer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigem View Post
The 'problem' is no different than any other v-twin I have owned, they get a bit warm around the rear cylinder.

I think its due to no air-flow through that area of the frame.

Havent had enough time to see what i can do to abate it but its not an issue to me as its no worse than my F800GS was on a hot day.
Awesome.. Yeah I havent really found it being a problem either yet...

I felt it in traffic n though, is that it? its nothing.. if it annoys me in summer, ill thermal wrap the header pipe.. easy fix..
speed_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:23 AM   #107
lotus7
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
KTM Ergo Seat

Have just bought the Ergo seat. The reason for buying was not the heat but the fact that the original 1190 Adventure seat was so uncomfortable for long trips.
I have only done 200 miles with the new seat but it does seem more comfortable and the heat coming up though the seat less than with the standard
lotus7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 03:44 PM   #108
sati8d
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 408
Heavy ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviant666 View Post
BMW scales are either way off or report dry weight...my GSA 2006 was at least 250+ kg wet...32 l of fuel + a shitload of metal around...the 1190 is 230 wet that's a huge difference imo....
THAT is one of the primary reasons I will switch over from my GSA. The 1190 R is one bad ass bike compared to the BMWs. When I have to pick up my GSA with panniers and a full tank - I'm honking on 650lbs - thank god I do it very rarely. I ride more conservative to make sure it stays up!...wait...that's what she said....sorry..

TC

'09 R1200 GS Adv, '82 750 VFR, '84 XT 600'76 TT50, '74 Fantic Enduro 50cc
sati8d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 03:31 PM   #109
Umarth
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
Question really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
For me?

The 1190 is far less likely to have electrical problems
Rob
Have to ask: what is this based on?? Cause, contrary to th minimalistic design of the 9x0, the 1190 is packed full electronic junk... :'(

Thanks

Umarth screwed with this post 09-20-2013 at 04:07 PM
Umarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 02:40 PM   #110
McBoxer
Duct Tape Engineer

Oddometer: 43
Cool2 1190 vs GS with a twist !

I have been struggling with the 1190 vs GS issue as well. I live to ride off road. I am a fanatic always looking for new tracks and better trails. I was getting really tired of the pure weight and mass of my 2012 GSA and since the 1190's were not available in the US, I decided to something totally unique...I went out and bought a KTM 500 EXC. Now when I ride off road, you usually have to hit me with a brick to get the smile off my face. Riding a 250 pound 500 that is made for off road made we realize how much time I had been wasting trying to make a 500 pound dual sport act like a dirt bike. The only way to really do that is "are you ready for this one? Get a real dirt bike". Now I know why the all the AMA guys just shake their heads when they watch a group of GS guys pounding around in the dirt. Don't get me wrong----if i am riding a long distance and have to carry all my gear, the Dirt Bike is not the ticket. I have ridden some of the CO BDR and the WA BDR, but if you want to have real fun, then you might want to think about all the money you spend making the big bikes better dirt bikes and use that to get a real dirt bike. Don't shoot me, it's just my opinion and if I was only going to have one bike, it would be either an 1190 or a GS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedrogomezrios View Post
I just realized that i like the 1190 more and i decided that i am going to change my 1200 GSA, but i am asking for help to try to understand why :) And explain that to my sponsor (wife)
McBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 04:40 PM   #111
Zuber
Zoob

Oddometer: 1,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBoxer View Post
I have been struggling with the 1190 vs GS issue as well. I live to ride off road. I am a fanatic always looking for new tracks and better trails. I was getting really tired of the pure weight and mass of my 2012 GSA and since the 1190's were not available in the US, I decided to something totally unique...I went out and bought a KTM 500 EXC. Now when I ride off road, you usually have to hit me with a brick to get the smile off my face. Riding a 250 pound 500 that is made for off road made we realize how much time I had been wasting trying to make a 500 pound dual sport act like a dirt bike. The only way to really do that is "are you ready for this one? Get a real dirt bike". Now I know why the all the AMA guys just shake their heads when they watch a group of GS guys pounding around in the dirt. .
+1 on that ^^^^

I wouldn't get a BMW because of trust. I can't trust a modified street bike to work off road, or a street bike company to make one that won't break. I've been screwed so hard by BMW, that I'll never come back for another one. I've seen so many simple 10 mph tip overs turn into a major breakdown. The list of past problems is a very long one.

The longest ride with a BMW is the one going home in the U-Haul truck.
Old 12-19-2013, 11:58 AM   #112
MysteryRider
Laughing at danger

Oddometer: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuber View Post
+1 on that ^^^^

I wouldn't get a BMW because of trust. I can't trust a modified street bike to work off road, or a street bike company to make one that won't break. I've been screwed so hard by BMW, that I'll never come back for another one. I've seen so many simple 10 mph tip overs turn into a major breakdown. The list of past problems is a very long one.

The longest ride with a BMW is the one going home in the U-Haul truck.
You took the words right out of my mouth.
I recently sold my ´11 GSA because the warranty had expired and I got tired of the run around by my local dealer.
The last time it was in their shop, one of the brain surgeons working there left the key on and ruined the battery.
Then, the dealer explained what they did and tried to charge me for a new battery!
That and other things like replacing the air filter at the 1000 km service, wanting to replace all 4 sparkplugs at the 20,000 km service as well as burning a liter of oil every 1000 km. (normal as per the dealer)
I really loved my big GSA but couldn´t look forward to dealing with a dealer that cannot be trusted on a bike that was out of warranty.

Test rode the 1190 and a Multi back to back. Very impressed by them both but the orange won out.
Picking up my 2014 ADV tomorrow.
MysteryRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 08:13 PM   #113
PatSmith
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 388
I'll be going from a GSA to the 1190.
1. Weight- get to lose 60 or more lbs going to this bike. I can tell the difference just putting and taking the bike off the center stand
2. With the lighter weight I will feel more comfortable off-road
3. Power- holy cow- really no comparison. There are times where I really like the BMW motor. If I'm tired I appreciate the soft delivery.
PatSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 03:32 PM   #114
speed_racer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 704
Surprising you guys are saying this about reliability.. I never had an issue with my bmw.. Even after colliding with a tree with an impact speed of 40km/h with a bit of sticky tape, I rode it 450km's home.. It was written off though..

Only problem I had with the dealers was their buy back price when wanting a different bike 12 months later, less than half the price I paid for it.. Kind of pissed me off especially when the same guy at the dealer was talking about bmw's having excellent resale value when I was buying it

RIP - BMW F650 GS Twin
speed_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 05:47 AM   #115
60HzShuffle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
They do have great resale value when the dealer resells it :)
60HzShuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 06:39 PM   #116
JoeMongo
¿Por dónde?

Oddometer: 375
Cool2

My older 1150GS was as reliable as a brick. I rode it to Alaska twice, to Los Cabos twice, and took it on as many dirt roads as I could. I stopped counting crashes, and I never changed a single part after any of them. That stinking bike was built to crash. It was comfortable enough for 1200 mile days, and could sorta handle nice hard packed dirt. It was a great street bike that wasn't easily damaged on dirt roads or when taking soil samples. It was not a dirt bike. I rode the Utah and Colorado BCDRs last summer, and the GS would have killed me several times on those routes. Good thing I was on a DR-Z400.

I just wasn't riding it any more. I sold the mighty and bulletproof boxer twin for $2K less than I paid for it, after 10 years of ownerships and 45K miles of good times. I'm just not riding long paved road trips any longer. Pavement is only useful to me now as a means to get to the dirt, so the GS went to someone that wanted an adventurous looking street bike.

I can't comment on the new ones though. I've never ridden one, but I have ridden a 990, and it rocks! I currently only need dirt capable bikes in my garage, except for my wife's Vespa of course, so my bikes all have high fenders. No BMW ADV bikes for me, until I can't pick up a bike after a fall on a trail any more. Then I may get another BMW, or perhaps an 1190, or a V-Strom, . . . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed_racer View Post
Surprising you guys are saying this about reliability.. I never had an issue with my bmw.. Even after colliding with a tree with an impact speed of 40km/h with a bit of sticky tape, I rode it 450km's home.. It was written off though..

Only problem I had with the dealers was their buy back price when wanting a different bike 12 months later, less than half the price I paid for it.. Kind of pissed me off especially when the same guy at the dealer was talking about bmw's having excellent resale value when I was buying it

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
JoeMongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 08:09 PM   #117
Todd-Squad
See Ya, Bye.

Oddometer: 762
Horsepower, weight, off road capability.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:11 PM   #118
r'elise me
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
I really like my 06 GSA offroad even though it is bulky. I've ridden some very challenging trails and it's done the job. It's exhausting though. It takes a lot of focus and skill. I've got the Ohlins shocks and that renders the suspension superior to anything out there due to the telelever IMO. I would never consider an LC GSA only because the LC is bound to be a reliability issue. I certainly wouldn't get ESA for the same reason.

My biggest complaints about the GSA are:
1. 19" frt wheel - horrible in sand
2. gearing changes impossibly expensive
3. too wide between the legs makes dropping it at a near standstill way too common - really sick of that.
4. it's heavy

These three issues are critical to offroad performance thus making the 1190R the offroad winner in my mind if the choice is only between these two bikes. As for onroad performance, It's clear that the GSA is winner in terms of comfort and range. For me, however, motos on the hwy are uncomfortable - period. So if the KTM is a little less comfy than the GSA, no biggy to me. Frankly, that's why I have a 690E. It'll destroy an 1190R and GSA offroad and it's perfectly fine onroad for me with the removable spitfire windscreen. My GSA is really strictly for long tours and I know I can take it on some wicked offroad if that's in the stars.

As for reliability, clearly the BMW is easier to repair, parts are far more available and my GSA is more reliable than either of my KTMs. If you're going to go into far reaches of the world, I'd recommend the airboxer GSA over any KTM and I'd avoid ANY new model of bike for one or two years (LC GS and the 1190R).

Two bikes, two different focuses. Make your choice based on the use.

13 year old boy - baddest-ass toy I've ever had
r'elise me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 06:31 PM   #119
Joseph42s
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Would you buy an 1190 over an f800gs? Part of me still wants a small bike. But I have a 650 dakar, and the thing weighs a ton and has so little power it so I want to upgrade. Tried the 800 out and it was nice, although seemed big. I missed the 1190 test tour :(.

I already have a husky te 310 so I have my dirt bike for fun dirt bike only stuff. Just looking for a rig to do longer trips and camping on. including fun offroad.
Joseph42s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 06:53 PM   #120
vasculopath
You're not your bike

Oddometer: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph42s View Post
Would you buy an 1190 over an f800gs?
Absolutely. I had an F800GS for 3 years. Engine is uninspiring. Too much in dirt, and not enough on the street to make it FUN! Suspension in basic, and clunky without much adjustment.

My 1190R is a tad heavier, but fun on the street, and you can turn off 1/3rd of the power if you are in loose stuff. Only place the F800 wins is on price.

I sold my F800GS to one of my co-workers, and yesterday, He parked it next to my 1190R. I hopped back and forth a few times. Back end of the 800 is bulky,as the tank is back there. Ergo was similar, though the front of the F800 is just as wide but lower. 1190 feels like an offroad superbike, and coming from a sportbike background, it is much more familiar.

Ultimately though, The engine is the real gem. That parallel twin in the 800 is just underpowered for a bike of similar size with similar mission. It is an underpowered, wallowing, undersprung pig. The 1190 feels lighter and is confidence inspiring. You really feel like a hero on this bike.
vasculopath is offline   Reply With Quote