Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2013, 07:29 PM   #121
Joseph42s
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Thanks for confirming, I feel like the bikes all weigh 475-525lbs. The BMW guys will tell you to go 1200 all day over 800. But I looks at the 1200 and the first thing that comes to mind I'd goldwing.
Joseph42s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 07:42 PM   #122
vasculopath
You're not your bike

Oddometer: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph42s View Post
Thanks for confirming, I feel like the bikes all weigh 475-525lbs. The BMW guys will tell you to go 1200 all day over 800. But I looks at the 1200 and the first thing that comes to mind I'd goldwing.

You're on the right track. Get a small bike for the tight rough stuff, and an 1190 for the long roads, gravel, and occasional "oh crap what have I gotten myself into on a big bike" dirt. Any big bike will kinda suck in that situation. It's only a matter of degree. My 1190 is what I had hoped my F800GS would be. I have 6 hours of Highway to get to Moab. Wanna have fun riding there, and have fun and camp when I get there, all sans trailer.
vasculopath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:27 AM   #123
rompe
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Many reasons, this is just one of them.

http://www.lacircunvalacion.com/la-h...del-paralever/

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
Old 01-21-2014, 02:06 AM   #124
Tjeu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Mostly because it's not a BMW.
And because i know how BMW-dealers work and how they do recalls and charge them to costumers.

Offcourse also for the MSC and because the KTM is lighter and more powerfull. So the KTM is better (exept i will miss the shaftdrive and the panniers are better on the GS aswel), faster, more exclusive, sounds better, is cheaper to run and it costs less.

Well that's a no brainer...
Tjeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:48 PM   #125
BoznBlack
Go Big

Oddometer: 62
Lots of good info here. Haven't seen a mention of range between fuel stops. Whats the difference between the GS and 1190 in terms of fuel range. Looking for what the stock numbers might be.
BoznBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:06 PM   #126
PatSmith
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoznBlack View Post
Lots of good info here. Haven't seen a mention of range between fuel stops. Whats the difference between the GS and 1190 in terms of fuel range. Looking for what the stock numbers might be.
Cant speak to the GS, but I can for the GSA. With a 7 gallon tank the GSA has better range. I only have 280 miles on my R and have not bothered to check mileage. I'm having to much fun accelerating hard, so I am pretty sure my mileage sucks right now.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:33 PM   #127
ktmwes
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoznBlack View Post
My first tank went about 200 miles and the low fuel light had been on for awhile and finally when the last bar on the fuel gauge started blinking I started looking for a gas station

Purchased 5.5 gallons for a grand total of 36 mpg which is not bad considering how often the front wheel was off the ground and experimenting with different throttle settings

14 KTM 1190 Adventure
10 Kawasaki 650 Versys
ktmwes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 12:50 AM   #128
BoznBlack
Go Big

Oddometer: 62
I've been living with a 180 mile range on my 950, and carry 2 extra gallons every now and then. So if the 1190 can make it to 200, that's better than what I'm currently getting.
BoznBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 08:29 AM   #129
trekkar
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
I'm trying to decide on one of these 2 bikes. But I don't like to buy the first year so i may end up with a used XB12X for a year.
Anyone been riding 2up on there 1190r? I'm assuming the GSAW would be better but by how much?
trekkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 08:33 AM   #130
rompe
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekkar View Post
I'm trying to decide on one of these 2 bikes. But I don't like to buy the first year so i may end up with a used XB12X for a year.
Anyone been riding 2up on there 1190r? I'm assuming the GSAW would be better but by how much?
The KTM 1190 ADV 2014 is a 2nd year bike.

Why do you assume the GSA LC it's better? For what use?

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
Old 03-30-2014, 09:04 AM   #131
trekkar
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Ya i guess that's right any first year issues on the KTM should have been caught with the 2013's. No real reason from everything i read the GSA is more long distance comfort road mileage wise. So just assuming 2up it would be too. Anyways for me it would be around 400 miles a day 2up with gear. And i think comfort would be high on my list or more importantly on hers. Also wouldn't it be easier with the electronic suspension on the GSA to switch between 2up or solo settings? I actually leaning towards the KTM but i just want some confirmation that she would be comfy on it? Thanks
trekkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 10:02 AM   #132
strider.deano
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 319
If yesterday is any indication, the 1190 won't be the two-up bike of choice unless pillion seat is modified. After a two hour rider the wife was really starting the squirm. The suspension works great two-up, the wind protection is adequate on the 1190, but the wife says the ST1300 is much better. In this respect I think the GS may be a better two-up machine for the 400 plus paved days. My experience says this is the only area where the GS is preferred. For me, the 1190 is preferred for any and all solo riding (if a custom seat is added). It feels much lighter (really just 20 lbs or so), the power is much greater ( adding the grin factor) and the average rider will find the 1190 much easier to ride off pavement.

Tapatalk response filtered through the NSA.
strider.deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 10:13 AM   #133
Paulev
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekkar View Post
Just been out on the 1190 R with my wife on the back, stopped after a couple of hours for a coffee and she said "it's so comfortable I could have easily fallen asleep". Bearing in mind the last bike I had was an RT1200, I don't think she could have given any more praise to the 1190. BTW I do have the Powerpart seats fitted. The other comment she made is that the seat material is so grippy she doesn't slide around. I've noticed that no matter how hard I brake she doesn't slide forward into me.
Paulev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 10:45 AM   #134
nvdesertrat
Nevada Desert Rat

Oddometer: 208
Ok thought id through my quarters worth in.

My first chance to ride an 1190R was at Steamboat last year. it took all of about 1 mile to figure out I have got to have one of these!!!!

So I also had a 2011 1200GSA and a 09 990R for which I decided to sell the BMW. Now the reason was ergonomics. the BMW just never fit me right. I will say I had 18K miles on it, mechanically it never skipped a beat. I have to give it that.

I now have 1300 miles on my 1190R since It came in December and being real busy work wise I haven't been able to ride a whole lot yet, but what I have rode the fun factor is off the scale, It feels real good off road, and 2 up works well to the other half say she has more room than on the GS. I did buy the heated ergo seat and wow the heat works well, I bought it mainly for the pillion seat.

So there ya go thats my story hope it helps in your decision.
2014 KTM 1190 Adventure R
nvdesertrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 01:37 PM   #135
RobZorba
RobZorba

Oddometer: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider.deano View Post
If yesterday is any indication, the 1190 won't be the two-up bike of choice unless pillion seat is modified. After a two hour rider the wife was really starting the squirm. The suspension works great two-up, the wind protection is adequate on the 1190, but the wife says the ST1300 is much better. In this respect I think the GS may be a better two-up machine for the 400 plus paved days. My experience says this is the only area where the GS is preferred. For me, the 1190 is preferred for any and all solo riding (if a custom seat is added). It feels much lighter (really just 20 lbs or so), the power is much greater ( adding the grin factor) and the average rider will find the 1190 much easier to ride off .
The Powerparts Ergo seats are great for passenger and rider, a big improvement on the standard seats, and my passenger(s) prefer it to the ST1300. I had an ST1300 for 3 years, the cornering is poor, bounced off line at the slightest bump, the fuelling was not smooth, and the ABS and brakes are way inferior to the 1190. On gravel and poor road surfaces it was a nightmare and I dropped it twice and repairing all those plastics was very costly. The 1190 is as near to perfection as I imagine it can get, and it handles reall well off road. It is much better protected against drop damage also.

I can't speak to the comparison with a GS1200 since I never went down that route - I'm not a fan of the boxer engine.
RobZorba is offline   Reply With Quote