User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2014, 02:20 PM   #1
PeenieWallie OP
KTM Adventure 990

Oddometer: 17
KTM 990 Adventure Rear Brake Issue

Last year, I bought a brand new 2010 KTM 990 Adventure. It had never sold, for whatever reason. I bought if off the showroom, with nipples on the tires, pulling plastic out of the chain.

Last year, I drove it across the U.S. and down through every country in Central America. Currently, the bike has about 12,000 miles on it. About 2 weeks ago, the rear brakes slowly stopped working. Now, the rear brakes are completely gone. I assumed that I needed to replace the rear pads, but they look like they still have a lot of meat left on them. I don't see any adjustment that I can make though. I bled out the rear brakes yesterday in the parking lot at Wal-Mart. Bought some brake fluid and refilled the master cylinder. That didn't help, so far as I could tell. Is there an adjustment that I can make, or do I just have to buy new brake pads? Any help is greatly appreciated.
PeenieWallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 02:35 PM   #2
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 7,623
More bleeding needed. Completely flush the system.
Old 06-11-2014, 02:40 PM   #3
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,871
Sounds to me like the seals on the master cylinder are gone.
Repair piston kit, item 5.
Do you have ABS?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeenieWallie View Post
Last year, I bought a brand new 2010 KTM 990 Adventure. It had never sold, for whatever reason. I bought if off the showroom, with nipples on the tires, pulling plastic out of the chain.

Last year, I drove it across the U.S. and down through every country in Central America. Currently, the bike has about 12,000 miles on it. About 2 weeks ago, the rear brakes slowly stopped working. Now, the rear brakes are completely gone. I assumed that I needed to replace the rear pads, but they look like they still have a lot of meat left on them. I don't see any adjustment that I can make though. I bled out the rear brakes yesterday in the parking lot at Wal-Mart. Bought some brake fluid and refilled the master cylinder. That didn't help, so far as I could tell. Is there an adjustment that I can make, or do I just have to buy new brake pads? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Facebook
Smugmug
Mr Head is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 03:42 PM   #4
PeenieWallie OP
KTM Adventure 990

Quote:
Sounds to me like the seals on the master cylinder are gone.
Repair piston kit, item 5.
Do you have ABS?
I do have ABS.

PeenieWallie screwed with this post 06-11-2014 at 03:47 PM
Old 06-11-2014, 04:35 PM   #5
Alleycatdad
Unbunch yer panties!

Oddometer: 1,419
My 2010 needs a bleed every couple thousand miles. Go much longer the brakes are completely gone. The way it's built just roasts the fluid. Go for a ride and feel the master cylinder.....
Bad decisions make good stories.
Alleycatdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 04:48 PM   #6
PeenieWallie OP
KTM Adventure 990

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alleycatdad View Post
My 2010 needs a bleed every couple thousand miles. Go much longer the brakes are completely gone. The way it's built just roasts the fluid. Go for a ride and feel the master cylinder.....
Do you bleed it yourself? Is there a trick to doing it? I tried it last night...I opened up the master cylinder...added fluid...closed it up...and then I'd pump the rear brake...open the little bleeder valve...close it up again...let off the brakes. I did this several times. Maybe I'm not doing it right?
"If it were lush and rich, one could understand the pull, but it is fierce and hostile and sullen. The stone mountains pile up to the sky and there is little fresh water. But we know we must go back if we live, and we don't know why."- John Steinbeck - Baja California
Old 06-11-2014, 04:58 PM   #7
Alleycatdad
Unbunch yer panties!

My kids do most of it for me now. It's pretty straightforward but you've gotta pump enough new fluid through it to pretty much replace the old stuff. Helps to get it close and then go ride and activate the abs a couple if times then do a final bleed.

It's my least favorite part of the bike.

Sa
Old 06-11-2014, 05:17 PM   #8
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 7,623
Don't replace the cap until you are done as you need to keep adding fluid to replace the fluid you are...replacing. It takes a while. Don't overfill the M/C when you are done, either.

All three of my LC8 bikes did this...it's common.
Old 06-11-2014, 06:37 PM   #9
Zuber
Zoob

Oddometer: 1,797
You need a vacuum bleeder to get the ABS rear bleed. The lines make a big loop up under the seat and air gets trapped in there. Your slow pumping gives the air time to rise back up. The vacuum bleeders move the fluid faster and get the air out. You can get a cheap vacuum kit at any auto store.

Hook the vacuum pump to a bottle and the bottle to the rear bleed screw. Open the screw and pump like crazy while you poor fresh fluid in the master. About three or four refills of the master will do it.

After you get the system to hold some pressure, then 'back bleed' the system by prying open the brake pads very quickly (with the bleed screw shut). Then pump it up. Repeat several times to get the last little bit of air out. Back bleeding works wonders on spongy front brakes.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:19 PM   #10
PeenieWallie OP
KTM Adventure 990

OK. Thanks for all the feedback. I'll get on it again tomorrow and post back with the results.
"If it were lush and rich, one could understand the pull, but it is fierce and hostile and sullen. The stone mountains pile up to the sky and there is little fresh water. But we know we must go back if we live, and we don't know why."- John Steinbeck - Baja California
Old 06-12-2014, 09:17 AM   #11
FakeName
Wile E Coyote SuperGenius

Oddometer: 1,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuber View Post
You need a vacuum bleeder to get the ABS rear bleed.
While I agree it certainly makes the job easier, and I'd prefer to use one, I have bled mine a few times without one- so respectfully, I'd disagree with the word "need". Certainly WANT. I'm in a picky mood, sorry.

As has been mentioned, one "needs" () to keep refilling the master cylinder with fluid during the bleeding process. The reservoir is pretty small, and you'll easily blow through the fluid with a few pressure strokes. Once the reservoir hits bottom, you've only pushing more air into the system, making it much more difficult to get a good bleed. Do this a few times, and you're really in for it.

BE SURE to keep the master full.

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
FakeName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 06:57 PM   #12
pdxmotorhead
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 602
Pressure bleeding, once your there ya never go back…

Spare Master cap drill hole add fitting, buy basic garden sprayer (Small) that can ideally be pressurized with a tire pump NOT the built into the thing pump.

Hook hose from sprayer to small ball valve instead of spray wand, second piece of hose to the fitting on the cap. Fill sprayer can with brake fluid. Pump up to about 15 lbs. Open bleed screw, open ball valve(Slowly!!!!) . Let fluid flush through the system until clean.

Dont know if this works with the ABS (I don't have it)
Yes you can make a unholy mess with this.
Yes if you let the fluid run out in the sprayer tank it will blow air through the whole system…

Cheers
Old 06-12-2014, 07:17 PM   #13
Alleycatdad
Unbunch yer panties!

Wow, that's a great idea! I wanna see somebody try it...

SA
Old 06-13-2014, 11:15 AM   #14
PeenieWallie OP
KTM Adventure 990

Back brakes are working! :)

I couldn't ever get all of the air out of the system, so I finally took it down to Apex Motorsports in Colorado Springs and just handed them the keys. They somehow got all of the air out of the line.

Also, my bike had developed a pretty serious headshake at about 50 mph. They tightened the steering head bearings and that problem went away.

Finally, they put me a new tire on the front, so I'm riding a lot more safely now, I think.

PeenieWallie screwed with this post 06-14-2014 at 03:19 PM
Old 08-21-2014, 07:52 AM   #15
Wastedavid
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Question Extrange situation, or not???

Mu frieds, last saturday I was riding on the roads with my gf and while I was going down from a little mountain suddenly my rear brake died, first I felt that I lost some pressure so I pumped the pedal some times and OK but next time I tried to brake and there was no pressure on the pedal at all. When I stopped and checked, there was some brake fluid in the rubber cover and around the piston, there wasn't a big leaking and going back to Bogota brakes were working OK... What happend???
Wastedavid is offline   Reply With Quote