User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2013, 04:35 AM   #1
35xj OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 891
try again

well, after my cross country trip was cut short by a poor runningKTM, we decided to give a trip a second try. So,we are headed to the florida Keys
So, set to leave last week, all loaded up and ready to go Henry isnt feeling well.

.A trip to the doctor, hes got 101 degree temp, its the Flu!

A week later, we are ready AGAIN! this time we've picked up a straggler,my buddy Bryan.on his 800GS
So, all 3 of us are loaded and ready to go. On this trip, we decided not to make any reservation, and just to go along and see how it goes.
Initially, plan was to head down 441 and spend the night in Warner Robbins GA, and 50 miles from home, its 35 degrees, and we miss a turn

Luckily, it ended up being awesome, and we found a great piece of road heading into Helen GA
From Helen onwards it was not particularily interesting. Other than being the windiest day i think ive ever spent on a motorcycle
Stopped in Gray GA to get a drink, and found this cool pink courthouse.

Got to warner robbins and found a Ramada for cheap, and it turns out you get what you pay for

Turns out, we had a bar really close to the hotel though...
the approach....

And it turns out, strange stuff happens in shady bars in middle georgia.
they let dogs drink beer from bowls on the bar for one

And being from Asheville, i'd really begun to take for granted the no indoor smoking laws, so, the only hoody i brought on this trip now reeks of NC's favorite export! what a nasty stench!

Todays plan is to head for cedar Key florida and try to find a place to sleep and get a drink!

35xj screwed with this post 03-14-2013 at 05:18 AM
35xj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:51 AM   #2
Rutabaga
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 725
Neat picture of the dog. Guy next to the dog looks like he thinks you are hitting on his pooch. Were you? Be real interested in your take on Cedar Key as a possible camping destination. Used to fly into there and if you circled the island a lady named Bertha would show up at the airport and take you into town. She was a roaming "taxi" and continuously looped town, picking up and dropping off passengers as needed. Of course things change over the period of forty years or so but I hope you get to enjoy some of the charm that used to be Cedar Key.
Rutabaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:50 AM   #3
marty hill
The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 4,100
Hey rutabaga, I used to fly into ck about 40 years ago as well. Rode there in late jan. this year on my GS. All looks the same.

Semper Paratus
marty hill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:56 AM   #4
FLARider1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,194
Not sure of your route south but I would suggest that either on the way up or down you go across US-41 and take a side trip down Loop Road. Very nice ride and a chance to get up close and personal with 'gators in the wild and some nice riding through the 'glades.

Whats your ETA down this way? Might ride a ways down into the Keys with ya.
FLARider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:25 PM   #5
35xj OP
Studly Adventurer

not been able to get much done on this report due to beer as much as anything. but we are currently in fort myers, at a super 8 (not a good story to this 150.00 dollar a night fiasco) but, headed to everglades park in the morning, and just booked the last remaining site at bahia honda for sunday night.
FLArider my cell is 8282731529 dave
Old 03-16-2013, 04:55 AM   #6
35xj OP
Studly Adventurer

well, the last 2 days have not been all that interesting.
spent an evening on cedar Key, A pretty cool little area, not too busy or super touristy, generally a pretty nice spot.got a cheap motel, and ate some decent food

found a local eatery bar, and discovered that they do have a decent brewery in Gainseville.

woke up with a little head ache, but was able to be up in time for the sunrise

yesterday,we finally had to make a break for it and get on the highway. so, on the map it looked like 589 south would be great,its a toll road, no problem!
Except, i really hadn't realized that they stop you every 3 miles to pay an ever increasing toll. All was going well until i stopped to fish some more money out of my pocket. attempting to clamber back onto the bike, i managed to kick it into gear, and drop it! Damn!
well, as everybody else had passed through the toll already, i was lucky enough to get to pick it up by myself. not fun!
so, yesterday, after a trip down 589, and then onto 275 around st petes, AWESOME BRIDGE! Bryan decided that he needed a new front tire. so, 2 hours passed by as we hung out at Happs cycles. Nice guys who gave us a can of chain lube for our trip.
at 6.30, we decided that looking for a campsite was not worth the time, and that we'd just grab a hotel.
Turns out its spring break, and you cant find a hotel room!

so 15 phone calls later, we end up at the super8 in ft meyers for 145 bucks a night!
today, we are headed to the everglades to try to find a camp site, and see an alligator, then on towards the keys! got a reservation at bahia honda!
Old 03-18-2013, 05:20 PM   #7
35xj OP
Studly Adventurer

well, got a decent start and headed out southbound.plan was to run down 41 and across to the national park. got as far as naples, just in time for the st patricks day parade! And the crazy traffic! finally made it through all the mess and into the national park!
its pretty cool! took a bypass onto a dirt road, that ran about 30 miles out and along 41. Saw an alligator crossing the road, and he was surprisingly unfrightened by the big orange beast i ride!
Rolled into the campground at about 5 and set up camp, across from a couple on yellow GS 800's

turns out they are a german couple who have been on the road for 2 years and 60,000 miles!
At that point it was obvious that we were going to hang out with our neighbors, and we were going to need some beer, so a cooler was improvised and Bryan and i hauled ass back into florida city to grab some beer and some mexican food

We allhad a great time hanging out, and future plans were layed for us to show them around our mountains at home in the early summer
Old 03-18-2013, 05:49 PM   #8
35xj OP
Studly Adventurer

well, morning came pretty early, get a little coffee flowing

and it was time to head for the keys!
Well, that's a cool stretch of road!

made it down to key west about lunch time, grabbed a bite to eat, got a few pics of the marker(not good ones, as we were not about to stand in the 75 plus person line) so we grabbed a few bad pictures,
and got the hell out of key west!
bryan
me

Back to our campsites at bahia honda, with a quick drive through liqour store

had a good afternoon at the campground, rode over and took a swim

took some pictures of the old bridge

the campground from the bridge

and generally enjoyed a little time off the bike!

headed over to the no name key for dinner, saw a bunch of the key deer, and found the no name pub. pretty neat, been in existance since 1936! tried to get a few pics, but its damn dark in there!

then a little party ensued at camp

35xj screwed with this post 03-21-2013 at 03:39 PM
Old 03-21-2013, 04:27 PM   #9
35xj OP
Studly Adventurer

had a good time at bahia honda, but with Henry not feeling well, it was time to start heading north. So, the decision was made to hit 95 and get the hell out of south florida, as nobody wanted to see much of Miami etc
heading out again...

So, several 80-90 mph hours later, we were a little north of Daytona beach, and done with the interstate. At this point Bryan decided he was gonna 1 shot it for home (another 500 miles) Henry and i jumped onto A1A and rolled north to st augustine. No pics as the go pro was out of juice, and the i phone was burried in my jacket someplace!

Checked out some of the sights of st augustine, grabbed a good meal, and called it a night. Bryan made it columbia SC before getting caught in a hail storm and retreating to a hotel for the night!

Next stop was to eat lunch and wander around Savannah for a few hours. cool town, i will be returning with my wife to spend a few days in the near future!

Lunch was at a carry out only place called Zunzi's.

pretty damn good!
Initially, the plan had been to head on to Charleston and spend the night, until it ocured to us that Henry has a company condo at Hilton head, simple choice!
so we jumped on 17 north and headed up the coast. Oddly 3 "gentlemans" clubs exist just over the SC line. Not sure why?
cool bridge over the river leaving savannah

our digs!

we showered and headed out to get a beer before getting situated

somehow, we got wrapped up in the warm weather, pretty girls, and beer, and made an evening of it....

super cool lady we met. daughter of one of the tuckaseegee airmen.

she was pretty rowdy!

the following morning was a rough start! But i decided it was time to go home.
Missed my dog, figured my kat was probably out of food, and needed to clean up before my wife gets home from her 21/2 week trip to ireland!
Having decided i was done slabbing it, i stopped to get some gas and a SC
map.
Decided to go up to charleston for breakfast, and take hwy 20 up to Columbia SC. Cool road,2 lane most of the way, passing through lots of really small old towns with lots of really cool buildings, swamps on both sides of the road, and moss in all the trees!
Not much of interest from columbia to greenville, but then was in my turf, so it felt really good to ride fast on twisty roads!

well,its 2549 miles from my house, to the southern most point in the US, and back to my favorite watering hole.

Time for a wedge beer!

35xj screwed with this post 03-21-2013 at 04:48 PM
Old 03-21-2013, 06:52 PM   #10
Rutabaga
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 725
Enjoyed the trip. Thanks for the ride along.
Rutabaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:14 PM   #11
Reverend12
Well there it is..

Oddometer: 1,410
Enjoyed the ride
Reverend12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:55 AM   #12
ADVCoop
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 765
Great report!