User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2013, 10:24 AM   #1
EXO OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Is it worth it?

I got a 1981 Suzuki Gs650gl for free. It needs new case bearings and carb gaskets. Is it worth making it into a bobber or cafe racer? I mean it only needs a few parts but its pretty clean and only has 2,400 original miles. I just don't know if you can lower a shaft drive bike. Any help and insite would be great.
EXO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:43 AM   #2
Fictitious
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
I'm confused about what you mean by, "is it worth it?" Do you really want a cafe or a bobber? If yes then yes it might be "worth" it. Making it a cafe or bobber will kill any value the bike has though. I'd say don't do it if it's in nice shape at all.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:51 AM   #3
EXO OP
Adventurer

I want a cafe or bobber I like the styles of both but I don't know what direction to go. I want it to be done right I just can't find anyone who has made these into a cafe or bobber. Also I found struts online could I use those so I don't have to cut my frame and weld it to make it a hard tail.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:58 AM   #4
PAULIBIKER
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
Sometimes free is too much...............

I got one for free once. 6 months & $2000 later I had a bike worth $1000.
PAULIBIKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:36 PM   #5
EXO OP
Adventurer

If i do convert it i dont plan on selling it anytime fast. I mean how much could you sell a bone stock 81 gs650 for anyways? i bet not even 500 bucks.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:21 PM   #6
kruzuki
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 729
2400 original miles and 'case bearings' are shot? What up widdat?

Otherwise, I always though a well-sorted GS-L model would make a cool bobber.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:40 PM   #7
SimpleSimon
Aspiring advrider

Oddometer: 3,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAULIBIKER View Post
Sometimes free is too much...............

I got one for free once. 6 months & $2000 later I had a bike worth $1000.
This.

"Assembled Spectator Scoring With Incriminating Photographic Evidence" or A.S.S.W.I.P.E. - Granparacer
SimpleSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:47 PM   #8
EXO OP
Adventurer

the guy says case bearings but i dont know till i tear it apart. i have been looking and im leaning towards a bobber.
Old 03-14-2013, 03:09 PM   #9
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,201
This is only an opinion.........part it out and use the proceeds to buy something that is running. You'd also have the ability to find a platform that has a following for the type of build that you want (ready-made aftermarket parts, build threads to get ideas/ advice from, etc.).
k-moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:00 PM   #10
EXO OP
Adventurer

thats an idea but everyone around here is selling there xs450 for around 1800-2200 bone stock. i looked at one and the guy said im asking 2600 firm for it and i was like umm why? his exact words were " this bike is a gold mine everyone want to convert them into a bobber or cafe I just dont have the money to do it so im going to over charge" i walked away.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:02 PM   #11
RBnite
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
why take it apart? does it turn over? clean the carbs and see how/if it will run
RBnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:39 AM   #12
pennswoodsed
lizards,bugs and me

Oddometer: 674
makes sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBnite View Post
why take it apart? does it turn over? clean the carbs and see how/if it will run
This ^
pennswoodsed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:45 AM   #13
CharlieT
old school

Oddometer: 1,603
Where are you located? Around here a good clean, running GS650 of that vintage would likely go for around $1200 give or take a bit. Unfotunately,there is nothing special at all about it to make it collectible as a restoration. IMHO, the transverse fours are more asthetically suited to be converted to cafe style than to bobbers.

THe "case bearing" thing is a ????. WHat case bearings? THere are a number of bearings set into the cases, so what are they talking about.

As for the money, there always seems to be more than a fair share of 'flipper, low baller' types abound. THe prices they claim or quote are rock bottom. You know, they claim they ain't never paid more than $400 for a
running bike. TO them it is all about the money.

TO other its more about the passion, the joy and satisfaction one gets restoring or customizing a bike. SOme do itfor a reasonable amount of money, others spend way more than the finished project will be worth. But its there hobby, something they do for reasons other than money.

Its up to each to decide what it is they are looking for in buying an older bike and what they expect to get out of it.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Checke...22319847810910
CharlieT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:38 AM   #14
RBnite
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
even if the engine seems frozen, take the plugs out-carefully- and squirt some WD-40 down the cylinders. Many projects I have done had some surface rust on one cylinder. won't take much to get it going. Then if it is missing or won't start at all then tear it apart! Time and money?? what else you got to do besides hang out on forums?

;-)

RBnite screwed with this post 03-16-2013 at 03:14 PM
RBnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:47 AM   #15
kellymac530
motorcycle addict

Oddometer: 1,052
Worth it...never.
Building almost any bike into something else is almost never going to be a break even or money maker.
Cutting up any bike, even a free bike will almost always cost you morfe than it will ever be worth.
That said, if it is what you WANT, then, it IS worth it to you.
I build things for ME.I am building a '96 RT into a dual sport/ADV bike. It was worth maybe $4k which is about what I paid for it 10k miles ago. So far I have about $1000 into parts and pieces with a few hundred bucks left to make it what I want. I have alot of time and fabbing involved. I hope to re-coup a few dollars from selling off the tupperware and wheels, forks, shocks, bars....but will no where near cover what I have spent so far.
What will I ever be able to sell it for should I decide to sell it...peanuts, Probably would be better parting it out if I ever want to sell it.
Probably take a $2-3K hit if I decide I do not like it...but I WANT to build it, so it is worth it to me.
Motorcycles in general are almost NEVER a money making deal anyway. We buy them, ride them, sell them for less. It is the gas savings, or the fun factor, stress reliever, head clearing, smile envoking, attitude adjusting that we love about them and are willing to spend the money on.

If you really WANT this bike as a bobber or cafe...then it IS worth it. If it is just something you think you will build and sell...NEVER worth it.
JMHO though.