Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2013, 03:48 AM   #136
alongat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 601
Any news / update on a 990 Adventure setup? I have a 2012 990R.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporting Wood View Post
In the works. Give me a few weeks. The mounting is totally different in the way it attaches and the holes aren't quite in the same place. Have a beta getting installed next week.
2014 Superduke 1290R on its way
And how can this be? For he is the Kwisatz Haderach!
alongat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:49 PM   #137
preppypyro
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnowFear View Post
How many of you are running this setup, and ride in muddy/dusty environments? I love the idea of getting rid of the air box, but I'm scared of getting the carbs filthy. Is it really a concern, or should I just learn to love the simplicity of it?

I asked the same question, and ive heard many people say that this type of filter is superior, especially since you can wash and reuse it as much as you want.

Prices around my area, this setup costs as much as 3 stock filters, which would take me a year and a half to recoupe that cost. I paid a premium for jetting cause I got anxious (shoulda waited and bought my jets with the filter setup) so all in all in 3 years I will have this comeplete system paid for, in savings. Thats riding at my current pace, and I plan to step it up a bit as well!

To me it made sense.
preppypyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:04 PM   #138
CBRacerX
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Laugh

Happy to see such a good solution available! Just placed my order here (and at Amazon for breather filters). I've used ITG in the past on racecars and loved 'em. Still have a bottle of oil somewhere, I guess I better go find that...

Since my jets are stock, sent a PM on more purchases.

CBRacerX screwed with this post 05-28-2013 at 04:54 AM Reason: Spelling
CBRacerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:27 PM   #139
Thumper996
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnowFear View Post
How many of you are running this setup, and ride in muddy/dusty environments? I love the idea of getting rid of the air box, but I'm scared of getting the carbs filthy. Is it really a concern, or should I just learn to love the simplicity of it?
FYI, most dirt bike do not have the carbs inside the air box and get filthy on the outside.

I can't speak to the 950 off road as mine is a SM and never ever sees off road, but my CRF get muddy all time
Thumper996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 03:22 PM   #140
preppypyro
Studly Adventurer

Noob question, there is only one crank case vent right? The big one that comes from the "drivers" side of the engine? (in my pic, the red arrow, and its the line that comes out on top, went into the airbox) The only thing that is screwing me up, is I seen thumper? had posted a pic of the breathers he got, and he had three of them.
Old 05-29-2013, 03:50 PM   #141
Sporting Wood OP
I <3 Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 825
Thats right. He also optionally added filters for his carb vents.

I added a breather to the crankcase vent and zip tied it to the frame. Didn't add anything to the carbs, not even a hose.
Sporting Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 03:51 PM   #142
Sporting Wood OP
I <3 Energizer Bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by alongat View Post
Any news / update on a 990 Adventure setup? I have a 2012 990R.

Thanks
Working on it right now!
Old 05-29-2013, 04:27 PM   #143
preppypyro
Studly Adventurer

Cool thanks!

I have a foam filter from a king quad sitting around that I am going to use on the crankcase tube for the time being. I should have been more on the ball and ordered a filter for it, but c'est la vie!

Im excited to get this thing all together. Im doing a few mods at once and it should be pretty bad ass when Im all done.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:53 PM   #144
hideehoo
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporting Wood View Post
Working on it right now!
Excellent, I have a new to me '07 Super Duke 990 that needs some mods and would love a cheaper option than the current crop of $300+ airbox replacements.
hideehoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:08 AM   #145
preppypyro
Studly Adventurer

OK so I bought my jets from Ken at advmachines, and this is what he is getting me to start out with.

My bike is a 2006 950SM, has fmf cans on it, sas delete, canisterctomy, and of course this intake. My elevation is about 1500 feet.

45 pilot, 65 IAJ, #3 needle clip, 3mm floats, 180 and 185 mains. That was his reccomendation for me to start with, and today when my little girl is napping I hope to get the jetting all installed and I should get my exhaust piece back (was getting it rewelded) tomorrow, and hope to try the bike out a little this weekend.

Any thoughts?
Old 05-30-2013, 07:32 PM   #146
Thumper996
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by preppypyro View Post
OK so I bought my jets from Ken at advmachines, and this is what he is getting me to start out with.

My bike is a 2006 950SM, has fmf cans on it, sas delete, canisterctomy, and of course this intake. My elevation is about 1500 feet.

45 pilot, 65 IAJ, #3 needle clip, 3mm floats, 180 and 185 mains. That was his reccomendation for me to start with, and today when my little girl is napping I hope to get the jetting all installed and I should get my exhaust piece back (was getting it rewelded) tomorrow, and hope to try the bike out a little this weekend.

Any thoughts?
Interested in how the mains feel, I have same cans and setup other than 70 IAJ and FP needles. I am at 500 feet, but ride up to 2,500 feet on my regular weekend rides. My mains are little under your setup
Thumper996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:20 AM   #147
CBRacerX
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
I installed the filter and SportingWood provided Factory Pro kit after it arrived via FedEx yesterday. Nice stuff Chris!

Bike is a 2006 950 SM with Akro Slip Ons (early style) and DB reducer installed, both "-dectomies" performed. All riding close to sea level.

Per the kit provider, I set up the bike like so:

170F/172R mains
Factory Pro #2 needles in the 3rd clip - both OEM washers in place (thin on the pointy end, thick on the dull end)
45 slows
Floats at 4mm
Idle Mixture Screws at 1.75F-1.5R turns out
Carb Air lines do not have a filter yet, but one is coming. So the y-connector is installed and the airline is pointing down.

Synched carbs just fine (was still good from the last time performed) and took the bike for a ride. Did not have to change the idle speed setting.

The low end (under 4K RPM) seems a bit dull and may be running slightly rich, but 4-8K runs very strong and seems like an improvement. Much less on/off throttle snatching was evident at low speed. A fair amount of mild backfire is present when jumping off throttle at and above 4K, which I would like to eliminate.

Any suggestions from those that have gone before on the next steps?

CBRacerX screwed with this post 06-01-2013 at 11:25 AM Reason: request for comments
CBRacerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:45 AM   #148
preppypyro
Studly Adventurer

Ok I finally have this setup installed and everything back together on my bike, except the seat.

One thing I noticed is when I installed the tank, the filter was a little too high, so when I tightened the tank down, it squished the filter a little bit from the top, towards the bottom (if that makes sense?)

Is this going to be ok? Thought I had better ask before I take it out for a spin!

I have my jetting installed now, my dr beans fuel pump mod, and some new to me fmf cans I bought off of here. With this intake the bike doesnt even sound like the same bike anymore!
Old 06-07-2013, 10:51 AM   #149
Sporting Wood OP
I <3 Energizer Bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by preppypyro View Post
Ok I finally have this setup installed and everything back together on my bike, except the seat.

One thing I noticed is when I installed the tank, the filter was a little too high, so when I tightened the tank down, it squished the filter a little bit from the top, towards the bottom (if that makes sense?)

Is this going to be ok? Thought I had better ask before I take it out for a spin!

I have my jetting installed now, my dr beans fuel pump mod, and some new to me fmf cans I bought off of here. With this intake the bike doesnt even sound like the same bike anymore!
Have a pic?
Old 06-07-2013, 12:00 PM   #150
preppypyro
Studly Adventurer

Hmm not sure how to take a picture of that, with the tank installed.

Invision the underneath part of the tank squishing the top of the filter downwards to the intake? Ill run out there and see if I can take some sort of a pic, but I can barely see it myself, just through hoses and the frame and whatnot.