Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2013, 01:51 PM   #151
preppypyro
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 557
First pic shows the top of the filter touching the tank, can kind of see the filter bulging out. Its the best pics I could take.

Second pic was the best I could take of the filter bulging out on the sides. The pic is taken on an angle so the bulging doesnt look too bad in the pic, but it does bulge out.

preppypyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:51 PM   #152
Sporting Wood OP
I <3 Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 891
That's odd, PP. What kind of bike is that? SE, SM-R? Its obviously not fitting correctly and compressing the filter. I'd recommend you disassemble that and perhaps we can figure out whats wrong. Hard to tell by the pics. Off hand I would guess that you either have the wrong filter for your bike or that it may be installed backwards, you wouldn't be the first. The dzus tabs are on the right side of the bike, right?
Sporting Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:27 PM   #153
preppypyro
Studly Adventurer

Its a 06 SM, I dont recall off hand which way the tabs are, I will yank the tank off and check back in tomorrow.

preppypyro screwed with this post 06-07-2013 at 11:06 PM
Old 06-08-2013, 10:02 PM   #154
preppypyro
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporting Wood View Post
that it may be installed backwards, you wouldn't be the first. The dzus tabs are on the right side of the bike, right?
Good call man, thanks. I took the tank off and thats the first thing I seen, the tabs on the "drivers" side of the bike.

Its your fault though, I got too damn excited to get the thing installed and didnt pull my head out of my ass first! If you made boring expensive products I wouldnt have bought one and wouldnt have installed it backwards!

Kidding, thanks, fits like a glove, bike sounds really mean like this! Cant wait to try it out!
Old 06-09-2013, 04:22 AM   #155
Sporting Wood OP
I <3 Energizer Bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by preppypyro View Post
Good call man, thanks. I took the tank off and thats the first thing I seen, the tabs on the "drivers" side of the bike.

Its your fault though, I got too damn excited to get the thing installed and didnt pull my head out of my ass first! If you made boring expensive products I wouldnt have bought one and wouldnt have installed it backwards!

Kidding, thanks, fits like a glove, bike sounds really mean like this! Cant wait to try it out!

Thanks man, I'm glad it was an easy fix.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:54 PM   #156
vwboomer
Buffoon

Oddometer: 9,631
Any of you guys getting dust into the carbs?
I did a gravel ride a few weeks ago and am now taking things apart to get ready for a trip to CO. lots of dust on the AL plate that came in from the plate/filter joint. It was clipped on properly both sides.
When I put it back on, I will put a grease seal on like with my dirtbikes, not a big deal just curious.

Also, where to get filter skins?

vwboomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 05:58 AM   #157
Sporting Wood OP
I <3 Energizer Bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwboomer View Post
Any of you guys getting dust into the carbs?
I did a gravel ride a few weeks ago and am now taking things apart to get ready for a trip to CO. lots of dust on the AL plate that came in from the plate/filter joint. It was clipped on properly both sides.
When I put it back on, I will put a grease seal on like with my dirtbikes, not a big deal just curious.

Also, where to get filter skins?
Are you sure about that? The thing is sealing on top and bottom as well as tightly around the carb neck with a very soft gasketing buna-n grommet. Its relatively impossible for anything to get in through there as long as its tight. This sort of sealing is what makes my plate unique, all the others simply sit atop a hard durometer x-ring.

I have had one case where there was a BMC filter installed previously that stretched the tabs of the velocity stacks and actually warped the bottom surface. This made for a loose seal that would leak. No fault of the plate. New velocity stacks cured that.

Post a pic! I want to see this.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:36 AM   #158
vwboomer
Buffoon

Quote:
Are you sure about that? The thing is sealing on top and bottom as well as tightly around the carb neck with a very soft gasketing buna-n grommet. Its relatively impossible for anything to get in through there as long as its tight. This sort of sealing is what makes my plate unique, all the others simply sit atop a hard durometer x-ring.

I have had one case where there was a BMC filter installed previously that stretched the tabs of the velocity stacks and actually warped the bottom surface. This made for a loose seal that would leak. No fault of the plate. New velocity stacks cured that.

Post a pic! I want to see this.

the velocity stacks are sealed up tight. Dust infiltration was from around the edge of the plate
Pardon my MSPaint arrows
It stopped a lot of dust.

I had already brushed a lot of the dust off, but you can see some still there where it was leaking, especially around the plastic clip on the bottom of the pic.

The plate was quickly wiped off, but some traces remain with the same shape as the filter cage.

It was definitely clipped on tight at the tab, and both dzus fasteners were tight.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:03 AM   #159
laramie LC4
crash test dummy!

Oddometer: 2,351
How's that 990 version coming? I have set of carbon pipes on the way and would love to open the airbox.

Thanks,

Laramie

'12 LC8 990R, '02 LC4 640, '05 WR 450f (part-out), '98 XR400R, '76 KE100, '05 525 (Step-Child)
laramie LC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:49 AM   #160
Sporting Wood OP
I <3 Energizer Bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwboomer View Post
the velocity stacks are sealed up tight. Dust infiltration was from around the edge of the plate
Pardon my MSPaint arrows
It stopped a lot of dust.

It was definitely clipped on tight at the tab, and both dzus fasteners were tight.
Oh! I misunderstood. Yep. supposed to grease there!!! I use silicone and have never had a problem such as this. It looks like its filtering great where its supposed to, though!

Totally my fault, I haven't been mentioning it and have really got to get around to finishing the post #2 installation post. Sorry about that. Thanks so much for pointing this out.

Anyone who hasn't greased the seal needs to especially if they're running dirt.

Sporting Wood screwed with this post 06-11-2013 at 10:02 AM
Old 06-11-2013, 10:01 AM   #161
Sporting Wood OP
I <3 Energizer Bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by laramie LC4 View Post
How's that 990 version coming? I have set of carbon pipes on the way and would love to open the airbox.

Thanks,

Laramie
Prototype Version 3.2 (I think I have it perfect this time), is about to get made. All goes well and I'll have production by the end of the month. Sorry for the delays, Been tough getting a 990 in the shop to test.

Old 06-11-2013, 10:01 AM   #162
vwboomer
Buffoon

Quote:
Oh! I misunderstood. Yep. supposed to grease there!!! I use silicone and have never had a problem such as this.

Totally my fault, I haven't been mentioning it and have really got to get around to finishing the post #2 installation post. Sorry about that. Thanks so much for pointing this out.

Anyone who hasn't greased the seal needs to especially if they're running dirt.

Glad I could help

I probably should have figured it out on my own as my dirtbikes have grease.

Old 06-11-2013, 02:17 PM   #163
preppypyro
Studly Adventurer

What does a guy use for grease? Would something like die electric grease work?

Im just trying to think ahead for when it comes down to cleaning the filter, I wouldnt want like axle grease, or grease that I use to grease the pins on my backhoe would I? haha.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:18 PM   #164
Sporting Wood OP
I <3 Energizer Bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by preppypyro View Post
What does a guy use for grease? Would something like die electric grease work?

Im just trying to think ahead for when it comes down to cleaning the filter, I wouldnt want like axle grease, or grease that I use to grease the pins on my backhoe would I? haha.
I've used silicone grease, waterproof belray blue aluminum based grease, teflon Super Lube, and simply sprayed it down good and thick with Uni or ITG filter oil. Anything works, just has to be wet and sticky so nothing can eek by.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:31 PM   #165
preppypyro
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
I've used silicone grease, waterproof belray blue aluminum based grease, teflon Super Lube, and simply sprayed it down good and thick with Uni or ITG filter oil. Anything works, just has to be wet and sticky so nothing can eek by.
Cool thanks. Ive use grease on my kawasaki quad filter on know places where they leak, but Im pretty careless with that ol quad. Wanted to see what a more appropriate way to do this was.