Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2013, 10:42 PM   #196
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,581
Fellow SW ITG'ers, does float height affect choice of main jets?
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:13 PM   #197
speedmonkey7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitsas View Post
Fellow SW ITG'ers, does float height affect choice of main jets?
From what I understand, yes. Float height seems to be a huge deal on our CV carbs. It seems to me that you should set the height at stock and jet around that though. I read an article by a race team that uses float height to to tune a bit, but I didn't understand much else it said,lol. For mere mortals just stick right at or around stock height.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk 2

"Ride with caution . And be thankful cagers are slightly more predictable than marsupials."
-XRman (fellow inmate)
speedmonkey7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:57 AM   #198
CBRacerX
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Question Fine Tuning Needed

So I've put some miles on this setup (Filter and Factory Pro Jetting Kit from SportingWood of course) with my 2006 950 SM

• 170F/172R mains
  • Factory Pro #2 needles in the 3rd clip - both OEM washers in place (thin on the pointy end, thick on the dull end)
  • 45 slows
  • Floats at 4mm
  • Idle Mixture Screws at 1.25 turns out
  • Carb Air lines with single filter and y-connector is installed and the airline is pointing down (stock lines)
  • Akro Cans (old style) with Restricters In for Street, Out for Track

Issues:

Backfire: A fair amount of mild backfire is present when jumping off throttle at and above 4K, which I would like to eliminate.

Surge: Did some extended highway cruising and found a steady surge when at 1/4-1/3 throttle (75-80 MPH steady cruise on flats) where the bike will not slow down enough to change the speedo reading but I can feel a back and forth cycling in the power delivery.

Hesitation: Went to the track this Monday (NJMP Thunderbolt) and found that when accelerating on the front straight, shifting at 8K RPM and WOT in the next gear produced a hesitation before power was delivered. If these carbs had an accelerator pump, I would diagnose that it was blocked. This is the biggest issue I would like to solve.

Any suggestions from those that have gone before on the next steps?

CBRacerX screwed with this post 07-17-2013 at 08:00 AM Reason: speliing ;)
CBRacerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:55 AM   #199
Sporting Wood OP
I <3 Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBRacerX View Post
So I've put some miles on this setup (Filter and Factory Pro Jetting Kit from SportingWood of course) with my 2006 950 SM

• 170F/172R mains
  • Factory Pro #2 needles in the 3rd clip - both OEM washers in place (thin on the pointy end, thick on the dull end)
  • 45 slows
  • Floats at 4mm
  • Idle Mixture Screws at 1.25 turns out
  • Carb Air lines with single filter and y-connector is installed and the airline is pointing down (stock lines)
  • Akro Cans (old style) with Restricters In for Street, Out for Track

Issues:

Backfire: A fair amount of mild backfire is present when jumping off throttle at and above 4K, which I would like to eliminate.

Surge: Did some extended highway cruising and found a steady surge when at 1/4-1/3 throttle (75-80 MPH steady cruise on flats) where the bike will not slow down enough to change the speedo reading but I can feel a back and forth cycling in the power delivery.

Hesitation: Went to the track this Monday (NJMP Thunderbolt) and found that when accelerating on the front straight, shifting at 8K RPM and WOT in the next gear produced a hesitation before power was delivered. If these carbs had an accelerator pump, I would diagnose that it was blocked. This is the biggest issue I would like to solve.

Any suggestions from those that have gone before on the next steps?
4000 rpm is where the needle takes over and begins to open. I would open up the screws a quarter turn first and gauge if this is enrichening the low end too much at the expense of correcting the pilot circuits top end (4000rpm). Then I'd consider raising the needle a clip. Seems every bike likes a different clip position.
Sporting Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:36 AM   #200
vwboomer
Buffoon

Oddometer: 9,239
I thought I might report back after my trip to Colorado with this setup. Before leaving, here at about 900ft ASL I was running 45 pilots and 175 mains. It ran great, no popping, plenty of power. I dropped to 42 pilots for the trip and immediately noticed a loss of power at home.

Jumping from less than 1000 ft to 14000 feet naturally causes some issues. The bike did ok on the road but was pretty handicapped above 9000ft. On the trail, it was rich enough to be a liability. Trying to climb up loose rocky bouldery passes was a problem. On one switchback going up hill, the bike basically fell on it's face and I dropped it breaking off most of a footpeg. I think that was about 12500 feet.

It's hard to know how to jet around altitude when you are covering such a huge range. Fuel injection is definitely the way to go

If I were heading that way again, I might run 170 or 172 jets to try to bridge the gap a little.

Mileage varied between 20mpg and 43. I think the sweet spot was about 6000 ft. boiling fuel out of the vents was a big factor at anything above 4000 ft on tighter stuff, and at any riding above about 9000 ft.

It was nice to return home, clean the prefilter/filter and change the pilots back in under two hours
Old 07-17-2013, 11:49 AM   #201
Sporting Wood OP
I <3 Energizer Bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwboomer View Post
I thought I might report back after my trip to Colorado with this setup. Before leaving, here at about 900ft ASL I was running 45 pilots and 175 mains. It ran great, no popping, plenty of power. I dropped to 42 pilots for the trip and immediately noticed a loss of power at home.

Jumping from less than 1000 ft to 14000 feet naturally causes some issues. The bike did ok on the road but was pretty handicapped above 9000ft. On the trail, it was rich enough to be a liability. Trying to climb up loose rocky bouldery passes was a problem. On one switchback going up hill, the bike basically fell on it's face and I dropped it breaking off most of a footpeg. I think that was about 12500 feet.

It's hard to know how to jet around altitude when you are covering such a huge range. Fuel injection is definitely the way to go

If I were heading that way again, I might run 170 or 172 jets to try to bridge the gap a little.

Mileage varied between 20mpg and 43. I think the sweet spot was about 6000 ft. boiling fuel out of the vents was a big factor at anything above 4000 ft on tighter stuff, and at any riding above about 9000 ft.

It was nice to return home, clean the prefilter/filter and change the pilots back in under two hours

Stock footpegs? If you can't weld it back, I might have a spare in the shop.

42 pilots work way better at altitude! CVR's will give you more altitude flexibility than an FCR but still, they're limited.

Sounds like a great trip

Sporting Wood screwed with this post 07-17-2013 at 12:06 PM
Old 07-17-2013, 12:06 PM   #202
vwboomer
Buffoon

Oddometer: 9,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporting Wood View Post
Stock footpegs? If you can't weld it back, I might have a spare in the shop.

42 pilots work way better at altitude! CVR's will give you more altitude flexibility than an FCR but still, they're limited.

Sounds like a great
I had the CJ extensions on which probably gave the added leverage to snap the stock portion in half. A fella along on the ride has some 450 pegs which I think are the same so I should have the replacement this weekend. The 1500 miles left of trail and ride home kind of sucked with half a peg
Old 07-17-2013, 12:20 PM   #203
Sporting Wood OP
I <3 Energizer Bunny

Couple announcements and changes to the lineup here.

First, PRICE INCREASE Have to do it. Price of the filters and everything else is going up. Still a whole lot cheaper than the competition and if I say so myself, these are better.

I have installed a new shopping cart and now add state taxes for NC residents, actual shipping charges rather than my previous flat rate of $20, and charge only a $5 handling charge to cover expenses. This will result in lower shipping charges on average.

For a limited time I am going to offer a flat 20% discount to any ADV inmates. Use the discount code in the checkout, "ADVRider", and update cart prior to pressing the pay button. This will get the prices within a couple dollars of their low, low introductory rate.

Also, I have added the kit and adapter plate for the 990! R&D stage is almost done and they're going into production in a week. Order up a Pre-order, get the 20% discount.

Everything else is in stock except for more Factory Pro kits which are on their way.

New website is coming and I hope to be developing and adding new products soon.

BTW, Whats the best color to anodize the next batch of plates? Clear, Black, Orange?

Sporting Wood screwed with this post 07-17-2013 at 12:31 PM
Old 07-17-2013, 12:37 PM   #204
speedmonkey7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
Quote:
Couple announcements and changes to the lineup here.

First, PRICE INCREASE Have to do it. Price of the filters and everything else is going up. Still a whole lot cheaper than the competition and if I say so myself, these are better.

I have installed a new shopping cart and now add state taxes for NC residents, actual shipping charges rather than my previous flat rate of $20, and charge only a $5 handling charge to cover expenses. This will result in lower shipping charges on average.

For a limited time I am going to offer a flat 20% discount to any ADV inmates. Use the discount code in the checkout, "ADVRider", and update cart prior to pressing the pay button. This will get the prices within a couple dollars of their low, low introductory rate.

Also, I have added the kit and adapter plate for the 990! R&D stage is almost done and they're going into production in a week. Order up a Pre-order, get the 20% discount.

Everything else is in stock except for more Factory Pro kits which are on their way.

New website is coming and I hope to be developing and adding new products soon.
Lmao, sorry guys. My karma messed it up for everyone. I was holding out to make sure there were no issues with these and look at what happened!
@wood: I wondered how you could possibly be building these for that price! Sounds like things are moving to the next level for you, congrats! Very generous of you to offer the discount to us here, I'll be buying one of these the second I get the money. I'd have it now, but my mistress needed yet another rear tire! :

"Ride with caution . And be thankful cagers are slightly more predictable than marsupials."
-XRman (fellow inmate)
speedmonkey7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:07 PM   #205
Sporting Wood OP
I <3 Energizer Bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmonkey7 View Post
Lmao, sorry guys. My karma messed it up for everyone. I was holding out to make sure there were no issues with these and look at what happened!
@wood: I wondered how you could possibly be building these for that price! Sounds like things are moving to the next level for you, congrats! Very generous of you to offer the discount to us here, I'll be buying one of these the second I get the money. I'd have it now, but my mistress needed yet another rear tire! :

The mistress always needs a new tire!

Old 07-21-2013, 05:30 PM   #206
keener
Speed changes you.

Oddometer: 890
Quote:
Hey, you might want to spin that thing around. Its on backwards. Could be your seat is pressing down crushing the filter or even cantilevering the front carb out of the intake boot.
I flipped the filter and made sure there is no air leak. The idle problem seems to be better but still there. Idle is not steady as it was before with stock air box, prefilter and 42 jets.

I am on the road to Newfoundland from Ontario, loaded ,two up. Bike has lots of power every where. However idle is not OK. I have flexjets on the carbs. Turning them in or out doesn't fix the the idle but helps.

I set the idle to 1400 and ride for a bit. When I stop I see idle hovers around 2200 if I fix it then next time I stop it comes its down to 1000. Its frustrating. I also noticed the idle adjustment screw is not as sensitive as it used to be. It takes a good half a turn for the the bike to respond. Most of the time at idle ,RPM comes down to 2200 and hangs there for 10 second and it msy come down to 1400 or lower.

The other thing I noticed is more vibration at high speed. I hope its not knocking! I read somewhere before knocking I'd not noticable much at high speed. I see the front header is turned blue. Should I be worried about knocking?

We rode up mount Washington today. At 6000 feet bike was running a bit better. I turned the idle fuel screws in half a turn and adjusted the idle and noticed it was more stable.
Here is my setup again:
170/172 mains
Factory pto Ti needles on 3rd clip
Floats at 4mm
FMF pipes.

I have lots of jets with me. I'm more worried about possible knocking than the idle issue. Any thoughts?
Old 07-21-2013, 05:39 PM   #207
Sporting Wood OP
I <3 Energizer Bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by keener View Post
I flipped the filter and made sure there is no air leak. The idle problem seems to be better but still there. Idle is not steady as it was before with stock air box, prefilter and 42 jets.

I am on the road to Newfoundland from Ontario, loaded ,two up. Bike has lots of power every where. However idle is not OK. I have flexjets on the carbs. Turning them in or out doesn't fix the the idle but helps.

I set the idle to 1400 and ride for a bit. When I stop I see idle hovers around 2200 if I fix it then next time I stop it comes its down to 1000. Its frustrating. I also noticed the idle adjustment screw is not as sensitive as it used to be. It takes a good half a turn for the the bike to respond. Most of the time at idle ,RPM comes down to 2200 and hangs there for 10 second and it msy come down to 1400 or lower.

The other thing I noticed is more vibration at high speed. I hope its not knocking! I read somewhere before knocking I'd not noticable much at high speed. I see the front header is turned blue. Should I be worried about knocking?

We rode up mount Washington today. At 6000 feet bike was running a bit better. I turned the idle fuel screws in half a turn and adjusted the idle and noticed it was more stable.
Here is my setup again:
170/172 mains
Floats at 4mm
FMF pipes.

I have lots of jets with me. I'm more worried about possible knocking than the idle issue. Any thoughts?
A couple things come to mind. First, regarding the idle adjustment. Did you place the spring back on it when you reattached it? I have seen several that have let it fall in the motor or worse, inside the intake! If its hard to adjust this may be a contributing factor. Second, it sounds to me that you are clearly idling rich. This is very common. Are you certain you got the floats accurately adjusted to 4mm? What you describe is exactly what happens when the FP kit is installed by the directions and float is kept at the standard 3mm height. They can be extraordinarily fiddly to get adjusted spot on.

Good luck with it. Sounds like you're on a great trip. Hope you can get it sorted so it isn't such a bother. Cheers
Old 07-21-2013, 07:29 PM   #208
Thumper996
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 586
Quote:
Originally Posted by keener View Post

Here is my setup again:
170/172 mains
Floats at 4mm
FMF pipes.

May have missed in earlier post by you, but did you sync carbs after all the changes
Thumper996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:34 PM   #209
keener
Speed changes you.

Oddometer: 890
I didn't sync the carbs. I had synced them just before the changes.

Re floats...I layed the carbs on their side and adjusted the floats so that the floats shut the fuel valve but not lowered on their own weight. It took me at least 20min on each carb to get it to 4mm.

If you are talking about the spring under the idle adjustment scew, I never took the scew off so it is as it was before.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:42 AM   #210
preppypyro
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 557
So with my setup, Im getting a little surging just when I cruise on the highway, I dont notice anything when i accelerate, or I dont notice it when Im driving in town at in town speeds. Anyone have any advice?
preppypyro is offline   Reply With Quote