User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2013, 10:07 AM   #256
Sporting Wood OP
I <3 Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 891
Great step by step DirtJack!

Would you mind if I copied it to the 1st or 2nt post in this thread so its easier for folks to find?
Sporting Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:09 AM   #257
Sporting Wood OP
I <3 Energizer Bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by renogeorge View Post
I just installed mine today.

What a great upgrade! I have fought the stock air box on my 950 and 990 and have the skinned knuckles to prove it! This setup really opens things up and provides MUCH easier access for jetting, plug change and valve adjustment. And the weight reduction is always a good thing.

As 50 year dirt bike guy, I am more than comfortable with the foam filter. Beats $40 for a paper filter from KTM!

It runs pretty darn well as is. But I am going to tune with Tune ECU tomorrow. Looking forward to seeing what it will do!

FWIW

Just try to keep the front wheel on the ground and out of the tree limbs. Glad its working well for you. Let me know how the mapping goes.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:09 AM   #258
ultrachrome
Poser

Oddometer: 272
I went through a few iterations with the stock air box and different maps in an attempt to iron out the twitchiness around 4k under low load that vexed me in the city.

Installed the JC30-80 on my SMT on Sunday. I tried a new trick where the front velocity stack is an RC8 unit and the rear is stock and loaded a modified map for a similar configuration. The bike now happily pulls from 2500 RPM and is much easier to use in low gears at 4k. I'm very pleased with the result even if my local tuner can't improve on it.

The one aspect I'd like to see improved is a reshaped beveled edge to slip under the air filter's tab a little easier.

Before I put it on the bike it took a fair amount of force to get the filter centered on the plate but when dealing with an oiled filter between frame rails, I couldn't get the same alignment. It seems attached well enough with the plate nested within the filter rim but it's off to one side and I worry the tab doesn't have enough bite.
ultrachrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:38 AM   #259
Sporting Wood OP
I <3 Energizer Bunny

That's an interesting trick, UC. I wonder what the reasoning is for it? The rear intake track is considerably longer than the front and I know on the carburetored bikes, this is some of the reasoning why the factory fitted a 2 size fatter main jet to the rear jug. I did a lot of o2 testing comparing the same mains, one step, and two step mains comparing o2 from either end. I always found that they seemed to run fine with identical mains, making the same afr. I wonder if the injection map treats the cylinders differently? Btw, 4000 rpm is where these things have always fallen flat on their face. Its where emissions testing is done....

Regarding the squared edge, I like it better than the beveled version. I used to bevel the 950 plates and had some customers that would think it was on when it wasn't. The square edge provides a snap when its on. Earlier versions were simply 1/8" plate, no recess, no taper... the recess that the production ones have is what ITG recommends for thickness and width. Its essentially the same as their blank version.

There is a trick to it, push the filter down with one hand and slide over with the other. We want it to be tight against the foam gasket. Adjust it front or rear to align with the dzus fasteners then clip. It won't move as long as the tang of the filter is under the plate and the dzus's are locked. There is absolutely no way! It will be easier next time as the foam gasket strip compresses a little. Your's was the only filter that I have shipped unattached to the plate. I think this has something to do with the difficulty getting it on for the first time.

Have fun, hope you enjoy the improvement!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrachrome View Post
I went through a few iterations with the stock air box and different maps in an attempt to iron out the twitchiness around 4k under low load that vexed me in the city.

Installed the JC30-80 on my SMT on Sunday. I tried a new trick where the front velocity stack is an RC8 unit and the rear is stock and loaded a modified map for a similar configuration. The bike now happily pulls from 2500 RPM and is much easier to use in low gears at 4k. I'm very pleased with the result even if my local tuner can't improve on it.

The one aspect I'd like to see improved is a reshaped beveled edge to slip under the air filter's tab a little easier.

Before I put it on the bike it took a fair amount of force to get the filter centered on the plate but when dealing with an oiled filter between frame rails, I couldn't get the same alignment. It seems attached well enough with the plate nested within the filter rim but it's off to one side and I worry the tab doesn't have enough bite.

Sporting Wood screwed with this post 09-25-2013 at 10:53 AM
Old 09-25-2013, 01:59 PM   #260
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporting Wood View Post
Great step by step DirtJack!

Would you mind if I copied it to the 1st or 2nt post in this thread so its easier for folks to find?
Feel free to use any thing there.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:55 AM   #261
ultrachrome
Poser

Oddometer: 272
Quote:
That's an interesting trick, UC. I wonder what the reasoning is for it?
Of course, I can no longer find the post that I recall explained it, only references to it. I also failed to mention that previously I had removed the secondary butterflies.

I talked to my tuner yesterday. The different stacks didn't illicit a reaction although he did say that he could have fixed my issue on a stock bike. His only concern was achieving a good result without the secondary butterflies.

So when I meet up with him next week, I'll bring both stacks and the secondary butterflies just in case.

For the time being, I'm enjoying the bikes behavior at lower RPMs. Can't say if it's making the same power up as I feel the added induction noise would be influence my opinion. The dyno results will be interesting.
ultrachrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:02 AM   #262
Sporting Wood OP
I <3 Energizer Bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrachrome View Post
Of course, I can no longer find the post that I recall explained it, only references to it. I also failed to mention that previously I had removed the secondary butterflies.

I talked to my tuner yesterday. The different stacks didn't illicit a reaction although he did say that he could have fixed my issue on a stock bike. His only concern was achieving a good result without the secondary butterflies.

So when I meet up with him next week, I'll bring both stacks and the secondary butterflies just in case.

For the time being, I'm enjoying the bikes behavior at lower RPMs. Can't say if it's making the same power up as I feel the added induction noise would be influence my opinion. The dyno results will be interesting.
Looking forward to seeing the dyno. Are you tuning with TuneECU?

Sporting Wood screwed with this post 09-26-2013 at 10:37 AM
Old 09-26-2013, 12:41 PM   #263
keener
Speed changes you.

Oddometer: 925
Carbs out in less than 15min with out taking the tanks off...I love this mod:)

I have pointed the cab boot clamps toward the rear wheel last time I'm was installing the carbs.

Here is the evidence:!

Old 09-26-2013, 10:11 PM   #264
keener
Speed changes you.

Oddometer: 925
I forgot to mention I have flipped both lower boot clamps to maje them accessible from the sides with a 6mm socket:

Old 09-27-2013, 08:44 AM   #265
Sporting Wood OP
I <3 Energizer Bunny

Good stuff Keener! You'd think I'd have thought of that with as many of these I've put on!
Old 09-27-2013, 08:22 PM   #266
rossguzzi
990 Adv.

Oddometer: 854
Great thread. Just stumbled onto it.

My 06 990 Adv has SAS in place and turned on, no charcoal canister, Tune ECU Akra map, secondary butterflies removed, G2 throttle cam and stock air box.
Fairly happy with how it runs but it could be less jerky on off.

My 950 with Rott air filter is silky smooth.

For those that have a 990 and fitted a SW filter, what do you do with the SAS stuff. Or is there a better map that I can load up, then ditch the SAS and put the blanking plates on.

Cheers !
Old 09-28-2013, 09:47 AM   #267
Corsica101
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 359
Quote:
SportingWood's KTM 950 & 990 Air Filter Kit

Photos courtesy of thumper996

SportingWood's intake systems make more power for your LC8. There is absolutely no other modification that costs so little while rewarding so much. The improvement doesn't stop at horsepower gains, better throttle response and a flatter, quicker torque curve either. Eliminating the KTM's bulky and restrictive airbox makes carburetor access possible and valve service a snap. ITG's Megaflow dual layer foam racing filter more than triples filtration area and provides the added security only oiled foam can provide in dusty adventure biking conditions. Plus its infinitely reusable.

Features

* Precision Laser Cut 5053 Anodized Alloy Adapter Plate won't crack, leak, warp or deform like nearly identical systems costing nearly twice as much.

* A completely unique SportingWood exclusive rubber mounting system that seals on three sides instead of only one and effectively isolates vibration while preventing wear to the carburetor. No other kit seals as well nor provides an OEM style connection as these.

* High Quality Dual Density ITG Foam Air Filter allows for far better power, easier carburetor access, far easier servicing and is easily cleaned and reused over and over again.

*Dzus quarter turn fasteners and clips that make access a simple matter of two quick turns without the need for tools.

Additional information and important things to know about this mod.

No filter oil or cleaner is included, you must purchase this separately. Most any works (I use UNI spray oil). The importer says that other filter cleaners such as Notoil, K&N, etc..., have had detrimental effects on the filters. For this reason I recommend to clean with soap and water alone which works pretty well anyway.

Kits include plate, adapter grommets, filter, Dzus fasteners, and clips. The standard OFF_ROAD USE ONLY Kit does not include a crank breather filter nor any accommodation to adapt the vent inside the ITG filter. I can drill the plate by special request for those wishing to install the crankcase vent inside the airbox. Any generic 5/8" breather or simply wrapping the vent hose end in filter media and zip tying it on will suffice.

A free flowing exhaust and re-jetting (950) or re--mapping (990) is an absolute requirement for safe use of this product. I sell and fully support users who opt for the Factory Pro Jet Kit for the 950's. I highly recommend Power-Tripp's map for 990's

SportingWood ITG JC30-65 package for 950 ADV and SM including plate, filter, grommets, Dzus clips and fasteners.
$199+shipping
Add to Cart

SportingWood ITG JC30-65 'Sausage' filter package for 950 SE and SM-R including plate, grommets, Dzus clips and fasteners.
$229+shipping
Add to Cart

SportingWood ITG filter plate only (no filter), to fit all 950's with grommets, Dzus clips and fasteners.
$79+shipping
Add to Cart

Factory Pro Jet Kit with replacement titanium needles and clips, more main jets than you will need(158, 160, 162, 165, 168, 170, 172, 175, 178, 180, 182), 45 pilot jets, and replacement stainless screws for the fuel bowls.
$99+shipping
Add to Cart

SportingWood ITG JC30-65 package for all 990's including plate, filter, grommets, Dzus clips and fasteners.
$199+shipping
Add to Cart

SportingWood ITG filter plate only (no filter), to fit all 990's with grommets, Dzus clips and fasteners.
$79+shipping
Add to Cart

ITG JC30-65 air filter only (other heights available by special order) $119
Add to Cart

ITG JC30-65 Sausage Version air filter only (other heights available by special order) $149
Add to Cart

View Cart

USE ADV DISCOUNT CODE "ADVRider" and receive 20% off!

Terms are all prepaid with a cash back guarantee (excluding shipping) if your are not satisfied for any reason as long as the product is returned in good condition within 30 days.

Additionally, I'm just a member here, not a professional vendor of parts, accessories or financial services. This endeavor isn't about making loads of cash (obviously), its about sharing this really great improvement to LC8 riders who will most certainly appreciate it!

More HP - Less$

Please include your contact phone number for the shipper with all orders. Payments accepted via Paypal (note exactly what you want in the email) and checks sent snail mail (pm for payment instructions.)

Any filters available for the 1190R
Corsica101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 04:07 PM   #268
SierraJeep
It's toast

Oddometer: 629
Just pulled the trigger on one of these. Will be one of those "winter projects" I can do while freezing my ass off in my garage. I plan to use this along with the other guy's "Dog House" and "Snap-out" quick release system for the glove box. I saw those at the KTM Rally this year and they seem like a good idea (since every square inch of storage space on my 990 is precious).

2010 KTM 990 Adventure
2010 KTM 450 EXC
SierraJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 05:04 AM   #269
doctor_big
It hurts when I fall down

Oddometer: 696
Whole buncha 990 guys in here now. There goes the neighborhood...
Old 09-29-2013, 02:50 PM   #270
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctor_big View Post
Whole buncha 990 guys in here now. There goes the neighborhood...
Yep.

Used TuneECU to put the 2007 AKRA in my 2007 and turned O2 sensors on. Butt dyno says it pulls much stronger everywhere. No mileage figures yet for this map.

I also built a 2007 2008 map from Power-Tripp's 2009 and later fuel/ignition tables. ECU changes preclude using later maps on earlier motors. I will test it next.

BTW Doctor_big, no gas smell on my hands after these jetting changes. 990's rock.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote