Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2013, 07:43 AM   #286
Sporting Wood OP
I <3 Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper996 View Post
Funny - 168/165 mains 45 pilot and 3rd slot on FP needle was where i was before i put filter kit on. I will go back to that and change the 70's back to 50's and consider float from 3.5mm to 4mm.

Thanks for response and advise
Theory would be that with your bigger airjets, you'll be pulling a little more fuel but a lot leaner mixture through the pilot circuit. This is presumably why the needle has to be so high. That said, every LC8 is tuned differently and if it works, it works.
Sporting Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 03:52 PM   #287
Sporting Wood OP
I <3 Energizer Bunny

Shipped out A LOT of filter kits this afternoon!

A lot more inmates will be unleashing the beast this weekend!
Old 10-22-2013, 04:55 PM   #288
Sporting Wood OP
I <3 Energizer Bunny

Trade In Your Old Plate

- Push, Pull or Drag It In -

New Promotion to help out my ADV Brothers who may be in need of a good, strong alloy baseplate.

If you have purchased another brand of air filter system for your LC8 or even made one yourself that utilizes the ITG JC30 air filter and have encountered problems with the mounting system or plate cracking, warping or otherwise failing to seal out harmful dirt and dust, I have the fix for you here in this post.

Go to my store or the first post in this thread and buy a new SW7 alloy baseplate. Absolutely guaranteed never to crack, warp, split of draw dust through its bulletproof and absolutely exclusive mounting system.

Use the special discount code, "Upgrade", and receive a 50% discount!

The only thing you will have to do is mail in your old baseplate in order to take advantage of this deal. Send it in complete no matter how warped or damaged and I'll send you a nice new SW7 alloy plate!

Enjoy!

Sporting Wood screwed with this post 11-14-2013 at 07:26 PM
Old 10-23-2013, 05:09 AM   #289
Jdeks
Departed

Oddometer: 937
Got mine today

Initial impressions:

AHAHAHAHAhahahaaaah!!!

....eheeehehehehee!
Jdeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:11 AM   #290
Sporting Wood OP
I <3 Energizer Bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdeks View Post
Initial impressions:

AHAHAHAHAhahahaaaah!!!

....eheeehehehehee!
Awesome!
Old 10-28-2013, 11:09 AM   #291
Loui€
Rides With Reindeer

Oddometer: 42
hi!
I'm very much interested in this filter. Ordered just LeoVince cans for my '08 990 ADV, and think that with this it could make a perfect solution for whole, complete.

It has been said that there is no problem with rain, mud, sand, snow, frost and in river drivin'...

ok, how about that now all electrics, cables, TBs a.s.o. are open to the 'elements', no cover and shelter for those parts that used to be in safe inside the airbox?

anything to worry about that?

L
Old 10-28-2013, 12:13 PM   #292
Sporting Wood OP
I <3 Energizer Bunny

None that I'm aware of. These sorts of adaptations of generic auto racing filters have been around for years. Theres thousands on them out running around the world. I can tell you that of the couple hundred I've made, never had any problem reported nor ever a return.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:13 PM   #293
Loui€
Rides With Reindeer

Oddometer: 42
ok, thanks.

now, how often it should be washed? I mean normal usage, not 'a sand storm rally' - yes, of cource, as often as it gets dirty, but comparing to stock paper filter (10000 miles) - every 1000, 2000, 5000 miles... or ?

L
Old 10-29-2013, 08:39 AM   #294
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,231
thread title updated as per OP's request
Old 10-29-2013, 12:22 PM   #295
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,581
SW7 I have a couple of generic questions in order to put some order in my cerebral chaos...

1) FP vs stock needles affect the choice of main jets and if yes by how much?
2) Shaved (SE) vs stock trumpets affect choice of mains?
3) How much the 3mm vs 4mm float height affect mains size?
4) Same about pilots...what effect do they have (42 vs 45) on the choice of mains?

I will start from your advise on page 1, but I find quite puzzling that people mention good results with mains from 168 all the way up to 178, on seemingly similar elevations!

Its been a long time since I got your kit but it is only now that I get around to install it...shame on me, I know!
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 02:22 PM   #296
Sporting Wood OP
I <3 Energizer Bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitsas View Post
SW7 I have a couple of generic questions in order to put some order in my cerebral chaos...

1) FP vs stock needles affect the choice of main jets and if yes by how much?
2) Shaved (SE) vs stock trumpets affect choice of mains?
3) How much the 3mm vs 4mm float height affect mains size?
4) Same about pilots...what effect do they have (42 vs 45) on the choice of mains?

I will start from your advise on page 1, but I find quite puzzling that people mention good results with mains from 168 all the way up to 178, on seemingly similar elevations!

Its been a long time since I got your kit but it is only now that I get around to install it...shame on me, I know!
Ha, you were waiting for the end of riding season like everyone else. Nobody really enjoys taking these things apart, ya'know. At least once you get the kit installed, a lot of the access issues will be gone.

1.) Needles do not, or shouldn't, affect choice of mains. Mains are best chosen by what works best at wide open throttle. The choice of pilot, screw position, float height, price of eggs in China, etc... all make small adjustments to whats best at full throttle too though needle choice affects it the least.

2.) No noticeable difference at all between shaved or standard intake velocity stacks in terms of choice of mains. Not to say that trimming the stacks doesn't make a difference, its simply that I haven't noticed it nor observed it demonstrated as an A & B on a dyno. If anything they make a slight difference to the way the carb is tuned though its a trivial difference.

3.) Float height affects the mains slightly, though no more than one size across heights from 2mm to 4.5mm. This at least has been my observation.

4.) Pilots have a huge affect on choice of main jet. All things being equal, a 42 pilot will call for mains approximately 2 sizes larger than a 45.

I approach jetting these motors as a process. First I swap to 45 pilot, 165/168 mains, 1.5/1.25 screws, 3rd clip with the FP needle and 4mm floats. There are some 950's that can take a larger mains than these and I will typically set this by top speed with a wideband stuffed down the exhaust to feedback mixture to be safe.

Some 950's cannot run this rich a setting due to variations in cam timing and then theres also altitude, humidity, etc... If I encounter an overly rich bottom end with the 45's that I cannot lean out going as far as 4.75-5mm on the floats, then the simple fact is that this particular 950 cannot run 45's. Yes, the variation from motor to motor is HUGE! These I reset to 170/172 mains and 42 pilots, leaving the needle and 4mm float height alone. From here I'll next verify choice of main either by top speed or most hp wide open on a friends dyno, (if its not busy).

With either of these two baseline setups, the next thing to do is figure out what needle works best for your bike. In my experience, /3 seems to work best almost always, but I have seen some that will rev faster and will take /4. More desire a somewhat lazier /2 position. I test with a wideband O2 here at needle transition, 3500-4000 rpm and up to see how well it accelerates. If its lazy and bogs, its rich. If its gasping and choking, hunting around then its lean. The wideband though, makes it really easy.

Next its float level derived from its prior 4mm baseline. If the bikes running /3 of the needle, its probably right on at 4mm or only slightly off with either 42 or 45 pilots. Float affects the mixture below 4000 rpm for the most part. Stock, these are all rich here, then very lean at the needle transition, then go back to moderate until at redline they're dangerously lean. If the needles are at /2 needle then it may be necessary to make the bottom richer. I have one 950 that is set up running 170/172 mains, 42 pilots, /2 FP needle, and 2mm floats. It will keep up with another in a side by side drag thats 165/168, 45 pilots, /3 FP needle and 4mm floats. Both run great, idle and start with no issues. Weird, eh?

Old 10-29-2013, 08:36 PM   #297
keener
Speed changes you.

Oddometer: 890
SW7 thx for sharing your knowledge and experience. It is very much appreciated.

Just curious about the optimal jetting variations from one 950 to another. ...could it be related to valve clearances?

Once on my 950 almost all my valves where at their limit, I changed their to clearances the opposite side of the tolerance range and to this day I am strongly suspect that was the reason my head2wind setup which was working fine before , just wasn't the same and I had to re jet. (I put back 42 and all became ok)

Also which wideband product do you recommend for 950?
Old 10-29-2013, 10:12 PM   #298
Sporting Wood OP
I <3 Energizer Bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by keener View Post
SW7 thx for sharing your knowledge and experience. It is very much appreciated.

Just curious about the optimal jetting variations from one 950 to another. ...could it be related to valve clearances?

Once on my 950 almost all my valves where at their limit, I changed their to clearances the opposite side of the tolerance range and to this day I am strongly suspect that was the reason my head2wind setup which was working fine before , just wasn't the same and I had to re jet. (I put back 42 and all became ok)

Also which wideband product do you recommend for 950?
Widebands are pretty much all the same. I have an Innovate LM-1 and I made a rig to hold the sensor at the tailpipe but pull gasses from deep down the pipe. Most guys put it at the tip but that'll give false readings.

Valve clearances certainly have a lot to do with it but not THAT much.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:09 AM   #299
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,581
Arighty then!
Job will get done over at the w/e, will keep you informed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporting Wood View Post
Ha, you were waiting for the end of riding season like everyone else. Nobody really enjoys taking these things apart, ya'know. At least once you get the kit installed, a lot of the access issues will be gone.

1.) Needles do not, or shouldn't, affect choice of mains. Mains are best chosen by what works best at wide open throttle. The choice of pilot, screw position, float height, price of eggs in China, etc... all make small adjustments to whats best at full throttle too though needle choice affects it the least.

2.) No noticeable difference at all between shaved or standard intake velocity stacks in terms of choice of mains. Not to say that trimming the stacks doesn't make a difference, its simply that I haven't noticed it nor observed it demonstrated as an A & B on a dyno. If anything they make a slight difference to the way the carb is tuned though its a trivial difference.

3.) Float height affects the mains slightly, though no more than one size across heights from 2mm to 4.5mm. This at least has been my observation.

4.) Pilots have a huge affect on choice of main jet. All things being equal, a 42 pilot will call for mains approximately 2 sizes larger than a 45.

I approach jetting these motors as a process. First I swap to 45 pilot, 165/168 mains, 1.5/1.25 screws, 3rd clip with the FP needle and 4mm floats. There are some 950's that can take a larger mains than these and I will typically set this by top speed with a wideband stuffed down the exhaust to feedback mixture to be safe.

Some 950's cannot run this rich a setting due to variations in cam timing and then theres also altitude, humidity, etc... If I encounter an overly rich bottom end with the 45's that I cannot lean out going as far as 4.75-5mm on the floats, then the simple fact is that this particular 950 cannot run 45's. Yes, the variation from motor to motor is HUGE! These I reset to 170/172 mains and 42 pilots, leaving the needle and 4mm float height alone. From here I'll next verify choice of main either by top speed or most hp wide open on a friends dyno, (if its not busy).

With either of these two baseline setups, the next thing to do is figure out what needle works best for your bike. In my experience, /3 seems to work best almost always, but I have seen some that will rev faster and will take /4. More desire a somewhat lazier /2 position. I test with a wideband O2 here at needle transition, 3500-4000 rpm and up to see how well it accelerates. If its lazy and bogs, its rich. If its gasping and choking, hunting around then its lean. The wideband though, makes it really easy.

Next its float level derived from its prior 4mm baseline. If the bikes running /3 of the needle, its probably right on at 4mm or only slightly off with either 42 or 45 pilots. Float affects the mixture below 4000 rpm for the most part. Stock, these are all rich here, then very lean at the needle transition, then go back to moderate until at redline they're dangerously lean. If the needles are at /2 needle then it may be necessary to make the bottom richer. I have one 950 that is set up running 170/172 mains, 42 pilots, /2 FP needle, and 2mm floats. It will keep up with another in a side by side drag thats 165/168, 45 pilots, /3 FP needle and 4mm floats. Both run great, idle and start with no issues. Weird, eh?

mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 09:29 AM   #300
xTomKx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
Order placed