ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2013, 09:45 PM   #301
Jdeks
Departed
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Oddometer: 943
After a fortnight with this filter on my 950, I've discovered a serious flaw with this modification.






I literally cannot get takeaway curry home now without it being entirely transferred to the inside surface of my top-box.

Tandoori Tuesday is ruined .

Buyer Beware.










Jdeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 01:08 PM   #302
CA_Rage
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Bay Area - CA
Oddometer: 74
question before ordering

This looks awesome! I can't wait to dig in on it.
I have a 2004 with Akra mufflers.
I do most of my miles between -282 and +2000 with the occasional jaunt up to 6k or so. (seems altitude flexibility would be needed)
No clue what jets and needles are in it currently. (should I buy a full kit?)
Its my daily commuter so I do care about economy.
AND I'm planing to ride the Divide next summer.
Can I do everything with one setup or should I plan to readjust for the CDT?
I'm thinking about adding flexjets to this setup as well. Thoughts? Source?
And.... GO!
Thanks for all the great info in the thread!

CA_Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 06:35 PM   #303
kiw
Adventurer
 
kiw's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Oddometer: 70
Hey,
Nice Product SW, I was about to order CPR's filter when I saw yours, nice!
Before I do so, I was wondering if it will work with a 6 Sigma jet kit, and Lexx exhaust cans?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A34ZGLX2KUBO21

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A3B0BMW3MGDK5Q

Anyone has experience with those products? Why are they so inexpensive compared to other brands?

Thanks!
kiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 05:02 AM   #304
doctor_big
It hurts when I fall down
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Toronto, Canada
Oddometer: 689
My father always told me that carburetor is French for "leave it alone."

Despite this nugget of parental wisdom, I finally got around to installing SW's filter, a Factory Pro jet kit and block off plates. My friend Mark and I tore into the top third of my motorcycle (which was running fine, I might add) and removed a bunch of doodads and hoses which Mark said I no longer needed.

We swapped in 168/170 jets, the needles that came in the kit and whatever that other jet-like thingy was that came in the box.

As we had no idea how to set it, we left the float height at whatever it already was.

We were flummoxed however, when we discovered that the filter plate appeared to be nowhere near the right size. Perhaps Chris had shipped on for a Super Duke by mistake? There was no going back, though, so I sent off a panicked email with a photo attached showing the mis-matched part.

Chris must have the notifications switched on for his email, as I got a response moments later with his phone number and a request to call. So call I did, expecting some sort of apology and a promise to send the correct part.

There was humour in Chris' voice as he explained that the mounting plate should go above the carburetors, not below as we trying to do. Since we had him on the phone, I asked if clip three on the needle is counted from the top or the bottom. There was a pause and he said, "There's five slots..." Ah yes. so slot three is in the middle.

Our incisive, pertinent queries answered, we chatted for a while about the roads in North Carolina and made vague plans to hook up next time I was in the area.

The rest of the installation was fairly straightforward, and it's nice to see that the carbs can be synched without removing the tank.

The bike runs great now. with no hesitaiton, a bit more intake noise and nice, juicy midrange, just like I wanted.

Thanks Mark and Chris!
Jason
__________________
Better to die on your feet than live on your knees.
doctor_big is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:20 AM   #305
DirtJack
Adventurer
 
DirtJack's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Oddometer: 1,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctor_big View Post

There was humour in Chris' voice as he explained that the mounting plate should go above the carburetors, not below as we trying to do. Since we had him on the phone, I asked if clip three on the needle is counted from the top or the bottom. There was a pause and he said, "There's five slots..." Ah yes. so slot three is in the middle.


Jason
__________________
Remember, you're reading this on the Internet and it was written by a guy who can remember stuff which never happened.
2014 KTM 1190 Adventure R
2008 KTM 300 XC (plated)
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 08:01 PM   #306
TLtrials
Gnarly Adventurer
 
TLtrials's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: NW North Carolina
Oddometer: 270
Great Mounting Plate!

Thanks Chris!

Great looking aluminum mounting plate and O ring system! My old one will be sent out tomorrow, great deal too!
TLtrials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 09:46 PM   #307
CA_Rage
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Bay Area - CA
Oddometer: 74
Talking woohoo!

Payment sent!
Looking forward to installing it.

CA_Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 10:10 AM   #308
Sporting Wood OP
I <3 Energizer Bunny
 
Sporting Wood's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Horneytown, NC
Oddometer: 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLtrials View Post
Thanks Chris!

Great looking aluminum mounting plate and O ring system! My old one will be sent out tomorrow, great deal too!
Another happy convert to our fold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA_Rage View Post
Payment sent!
Looking forward to installing it.

Coming right at you. Post up what you think when you get it installed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctor_big View Post
My father always told me that carburetor is French for "leave it alone."

Despite this nugget of parental wisdom, I finally got around to installing SW's filter, a Factory Pro jet kit and block off plates. My friend Mark and I tore into the top third of my motorcycle (which was running fine, I might add) and removed a bunch of doodads and hoses which Mark said I no longer needed.

We swapped in 168/170 jets, the needles that came in the kit and whatever that other jet-like thingy was that came in the box.

As we had no idea how to set it, we left the float height at whatever it already was.

We were flummoxed however, when we discovered that the filter plate appeared to be nowhere near the right size. Perhaps Chris had shipped on for a Super Duke by mistake? There was no going back, though, so I sent off a panicked email with a photo attached showing the mis-matched part.

Chris must have the notifications switched on for his email, as I got a response moments later with his phone number and a request to call. So call I did, expecting some sort of apology and a promise to send the correct part.

There was humour in Chris' voice as he explained that the mounting plate should go above the carburetors, not below as we trying to do. Since we had him on the phone, I asked if clip three on the needle is counted from the top or the bottom. There was a pause and he said, "There's five slots..." Ah yes. so slot three is in the middle.

Our incisive, pertinent queries answered, we chatted for a while about the roads in North Carolina and made vague plans to hook up next time I was in the area.

The rest of the installation was fairly straightforward, and it's nice to see that the carbs can be synched without removing the tank.

The bike runs great now. with no hesitaiton, a bit more intake noise and nice, juicy midrange, just like I wanted.

Thanks Mark and Chris!
Jason
You guys need to stop hanging out with your mayor! Get back on the beer, eh.
Sporting Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 10:13 AM   #309
Sporting Wood OP
I <3 Energizer Bunny
 
Sporting Wood's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Horneytown, NC
Oddometer: 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiw View Post
Hey,
Nice Product SW, I was about to order CPR's filter when I saw yours, nice!
Before I do so, I was wondering if it will work with a 6 Sigma jet kit, and Lexx exhaust cans?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A34ZGLX2KUBO21

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A3B0BMW3MGDK5Q

Anyone has experience with those products? Why are they so inexpensive compared to other brands?

Thanks!
Can't comment on the jet kit. AFAIK, the Factory Pro is the only kit that replaces the needle which is IMHO critical to getti g these carbs dialed in.

The cans look great. Any open and free flowing tail end is going to work.
Sporting Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 10:18 AM   #310
Sporting Wood OP
I <3 Energizer Bunny
 
Sporting Wood's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Horneytown, NC
Oddometer: 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA_Rage View Post
This looks awesome! I can't wait to dig in on it.
I have a 2004 with Akra mufflers.
I do most of my miles between -282 and +2000 with the occasional jaunt up to 6k or so. (seems altitude flexibility would be needed)
No clue what jets and needles are in it currently. (should I buy a full kit?)
Its my daily commuter so I do care about economy.
AND I'm planing to ride the Divide next summer.
Can I do everything with one setup or should I plan to readjust for the CDT?
I'm thinking about adding flexjets to this setup as well. Thoughts? Source?
And.... GO!
Thanks for all the great info in the thread!

Hey, sorry I missed this. When your stuff comes in and you're doing the install, give me a call and we'll figure it out.
Sporting Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 10:23 AM   #311
Sporting Wood OP
I <3 Energizer Bunny
 
Sporting Wood's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Horneytown, NC
Oddometer: 868
Does anyone care for blue? I make these in clear and black anodized. Black is the default color unless someone makes a special request. My anodizer tells me that orange sadly fades with engine heat. Since my S bike is blue, I'm swapping to one of these.

Sporting Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 10:43 AM   #312
keener
Speed changes you.
 
keener's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Toronto, Canada
Oddometer: 908
Blue looks cool!

What's that small oval indentation for?
__________________
04 ADV 950
keener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 07:20 PM   #313
Sporting Wood OP
I <3 Energizer Bunny
 
Sporting Wood's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Horneytown, NC
Oddometer: 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by keener View Post
Blue looks cool!

What's that small oval indentation for?
Blue works the same and nobody but me will see it but...

The indention is for additional clearance for the secondary butterfly linkage.
Sporting Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 09:59 PM   #314
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!
 
Yellow Pig's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Thousand Oaks, Ca.
Oddometer: 6,967
Have one on then way for SDR!
__________________
So Many Idiots, So Few Comets!!!!!!!!!
Yellow Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 08:18 PM   #315
imgoin
Adventurer
 
imgoin's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Denton, TX
Oddometer: 73
Recieved my kit today. (Except the back ordered pre filter.)
Looks very nice.
I will work on installing this weekend.
Last weekend I built a bash/skid plate for the adv990r.
Getting ready for some cold weather back roads trips.

Thanks a lot, great response!
Noel.
__________________
05 525
11 990r
imgoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014