Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2014, 04:52 PM   #421
Ross Shafer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
I'm also running a 2 into 1 with the SW7 kit and its working great. The hippy-trippy tree hugger side of me would like to get a bit better mileage, but 35mpg for 2 up riding ain't too bad I think. It actually got better mileage 2 up than with me riding alone....my right wrist is definitely more tame when my lovely wife is on the back.

You can see my 2-1 conversion here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...anual&page=631
post#9457

Its so much easier to get to the carbs with Chris' kit, I'll definitely be in there messin' with it to see if I can get better than 31 when flogging it solo.

I'm currently running a Factory Pro kit and using Chris' recommendations:
45 pilot, 165/168 mains, 1.5 screws, 3rd clip, 4mm floats. If anyone has any tips to help me get better mileage....by all means whip 'em on me!

Ross Shafer screwed with this post 02-26-2014 at 04:58 PM
Ross Shafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 02:35 AM   #422
ADV67
Alsace rider

Oddometer: 80
Thank you for your replies! I will pass the info to him!
35MPG is not so bad at all, I was using more fuel without the SW7 conversion and stock jetting!
Old 02-27-2014, 07:26 PM   #423
Airhead 203
Lost in space

Oddometer: 6
Would really like to lose the airbox on my 04 950. I'm running stock cans with cats , sas and canister removed. To cheap to buy new cans and I don't really want the extra noise. Will this filter work for me?
Airhead 203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 10:35 PM   #424
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead 203 View Post
Would really like to lose the airbox on my 04 950. I'm running stock cans with cats , sas and canister removed. To cheap to buy new cans and I don't really want the extra noise. Will this filter work for me?
Probably not. But you better decat the exhausts since SAS is disabled.
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 05:29 AM   #425
Airhead 203
Lost in space

Maybe not said well ,but cats are removed. What do you think Sporting?
Old 02-28-2014, 09:50 AM   #426
ManuC
950 SM

Oddometer: 34
Quote:
It works i have the same, original cans whitout the cats and the noise ....
ManuC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 07:34 PM   #427
Airhead 203
Lost in space

Thanks, I like your answer better Anyone else?
Old 03-04-2014, 04:13 AM   #428
corsa996
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Happy Little Vegemite

G'day, Chris,
My kit was waiting for me after work tonight, Great quality product, very happy customer!!
Bike is all bolted back together, no problems at all with the kit.

Went with:
170/168 Mains
42 Pilots
3rd Clip on the Needles
Flexjets One turn out (so far).
Open Mufflers.

Bike fired right up to a nice idle, and pick had a nice bark to it.
If anybody else is on the fence regarding this kit, just do it!! There are so many benefits, it's a no brainer.

I'll post a ride report and pics this week.

Thanks again Chris.

Lee
corsa996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:19 PM   #429
Sporting Wood OP
I <3 Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 856
Quote:
Without the cats, it ought to be fine and increase power though...not as much as if you had prettier cans.:-)
Sporting Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 03:03 AM   #430
corsa996
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
SW7 Filter Kits Rock

Well, I picked up an Air Filter kit from Chris, package arrived in just over a week safe an sound.

Super easy, to install once you have oiled the foam filter up, (I used Silkolene Foam Filter Oil), and greased the foam sealing lip and it all slipped together smooth as.

The finished kit all bolted up. Brilliant!

Well, I took the bike for a quick spin tonight and it's like a different bike, the bike now idles like a top fuel dragster, and it's pick up is waay quicker and out on the road, it rips!!!

One very happy camper here!!
Now to get the rest of the bike sorted out.

Corsa.
corsa996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 10:09 AM   #431
Sporting Wood OP
I <3 Energizer Bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsa996 View Post
[/URL]

Well, I took the bike for a quick spin tonight and it's like a different bike, the bike now idles like a top fuel dragster, and it's pick up is waay quicker and out on the road, it rips!!!

One very happy camper here!!
Now to get the rest of the bike sorted out.

Corsa.
'06 950S ! Indeed it is the fastest color!
Old 03-09-2014, 07:37 PM   #432
Keith
Slabbing it

Oddometer: 837
Here's my setup:

2007 KTM 950 Super Enduro
350' above sea level

main air jet (40)
ACV (air cut valve) jet (90)
Idle-air jet (50)
160/162 Mains(F/R)
FP needle clip fourth from the top position
45 pilots
1.5 turns out on the fuel screw
4mm float height
Stock velocity stacks
SW7 ADV filter
Powercell tank
SM seat

The kicker is that I have a left side 2-1 with a stock muffler.

The bike was running great with stock needles, but I felt like it should be doing better since adding the SW7 filter setup. The intake honk is fun, the real punch to go with it was missing.

So, I stuck the FP needles in, with the clip in the 2nd position from the top, as FP says and let it warm up, the bike would then bog bad trying to get out of it's own way. right from clutch release. The idle seems just fine though. I think that it's a rich bog and pull it back to swap clip position.

Move the clip to the top position on the needles and it's even worse. I really have to slip the clutch to get the thing out of it's own way. I did have the presence of mind to try the choke to see if it helps the situation this time(anything has to be better at this point) and it does. Guess I had a lean bog?

Bring it back and swap the clip to the middle position and try to replicate the situation with the tank and stacks off and it does more of the same where it doesn't gain any RPM with advancing throttle. Finally it caught up and takes off, getting close to half throttle. I didn't even bother with a ride that time and stuck the clips to that fourth slot from the top and took it for a ride.

First gear wheelies are better, second still wont come up like I think it should, but it could be the gearing(17/45). The off idle transition is way better than with the stock needles, picking up the throttle out of a corner is much smoother now.

The only problem seems to be a slight hesitation or dip in the power right before the rpm tops out, the bike feels like it pauses for a sec before a slight rush at the end of the rev range.

Ideas?
Old 03-10-2014, 09:37 AM   #433
Sporting Wood OP
I <3 Energizer Bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Here's my setup:

2007 KTM 950 Super Enduro
350' above sea level

main air jet (40)
ACV (air cut valve) jet (90)
Idle-air jet (50)
160/162 Mains(F/R)
FP needle clip fourth from the top position
45 pilots
1.5 turns out on the fuel screw
4mm float height
Stock velocity stacks
SW7 ADV filter
Powercell tank
SM seat

The kicker is that I have a left side 2-1 with a stock muffler.

The bike was running great with stock needles, but I felt like it should be doing better since adding the SW7 filter setup. The intake honk is fun, the real punch to go with it was missing.

So, I stuck the FP needles in, with the clip in the 2nd position from the top, as FP says and let it warm up, the bike would then bog bad trying to get out of it's own way. right from clutch release. The idle seems just fine though. I think that it's a rich bog and pull it back to swap clip position.

Move the clip to the top position on the needles and it's even worse. I really have to slip the clutch to get the thing out of it's own way. I did have the presence of mind to try the choke to see if it helps the situation this time(anything has to be better at this point) and it does. Guess I had a lean bog?

Bring it back and swap the clip to the middle position and try to replicate the situation with the tank and stacks off and it does more of the same where it doesn't gain any RPM with advancing throttle. Finally it caught up and takes off, getting close to half throttle. I didn't even bother with a ride that time and stuck the clips to that fourth slot from the top and took it for a ride.

First gear wheelies are better, second still wont come up like I think it should, but it could be the gearing(17/45). The off idle transition is way better than with the stock needles, picking up the throttle out of a corner is much smoother now.

The only problem seems to be a slight hesitation or dip in the power right before the rpm tops out, the bike feels like it pauses for a sec before a slight rush at the end of the rev range.

Ideas?
I have no experience, Keith, with those air jets you have installed. I always recommend the stock 80 and 50. 90 and 40 sounds like the same idle air numerically but its not. Its actually slightly more.

I am not quite following you on needle clip positions. 2 is standard, I recommend 3 for the baseline...and tune from there.

If you put it in #1, it will be really, really lean at idle transition as well as the entire bottom end as a lot of what goes on with the idle circuit depends on the leak past the main.

The slightest change with these carbs, will make a huge difference. Swapping clip positions without compensating will cause all sorts of trauma!
Old 03-10-2014, 10:21 AM   #434
Keith
Slabbing it

Oddometer: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporting Wood View Post
I have no experience, Keith, with those air jets you have installed. I always recommend the stock 80 and 50. 90 and 40 sounds like the same idle air numerically but its not. Its actually slightly more.

I am not quite following you on needle clip positions. 2 is standard, I recommend 3 for the baseline...and tune from there.

If you put it in #1, it will be really, really lean at idle transition as well as the entire bottom end as a lot of what goes on with the idle circuit depends on the leak past the main.

The slightest change with these carbs, will make a huge difference. Swapping clip positions without compensating will cause all sorts of trauma!
I wish I could take credit for the jets that are in there, but that's how I got the bike and have only noticed the difference when swapping in the FP needles and making note of everything.

With the needle positions, I was just trying to be a little more specific, but if that's that standard to be counted from the top, then they're in position #4.

Everything seems to run like a raped ape with it setup there, except for a slight dip towards the top of the rev band.
Old 03-10-2014, 06:04 PM   #435
BoznBlack
Go Big

Oddometer: 62
Speaking of needle clip positions, was wondering how hard it is to change needle clip position with the carbs still mounted and gas tanks on? Been working on my jetting and may drop it a notch. Current setup:

Elevation: 2500' at home. Rides usually go up.
FMF dual exhaust, canisterectomy, sas blocked off.
SW intake
42 pilots
178/178 mains
4mm float height
2 turns out on the flex jets
3rd clip position on FP needles

Runs really strong, 35 mpg, a tad dark on the plugs. No flat spots or surges.

gurgles and pops when I chop the throttle, but no backfire per se. Sounds alot like a race car. Is this normal? Oddly it goes away when I pull in the choke enrichener. I can live with it, but wondering if its a symptom of jetting not quite right. Advice?
BoznBlack is offline   Reply With Quote