BoznBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 12:53 AM   #437
corsa996
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Bit rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoznBlack View Post
Speaking of needle clip positions, was wondering how hard it is to change needle clip position with the carbs still mounted and gas tanks on? Been working on my jetting and may drop it a notch. Current setup:

Elevation: 2500' at home. Rides usually go up.
FMF dual exhaust, canisterectomy, sas blocked off.
SW intake
42 pilots
178/178 mains
4mm float height
2 turns out on the flex jets
3rd clip position on FP needles

Runs really strong, 35 mpg, a tad dark on the plugs. No flat spots or surges.

gurgles and pops when I chop the throttle, but no backfire per se. Sounds alot like a race car. Is this normal? Oddly it goes away when I pull in the choke enrichener. I can live with it, but wondering if its a symptom of jetting not quite right. Advice?
Well, I'm no jetting Guru, but I would guess the mains maybe a tad rich especially going up to that elevation.

I'm running 170/168 Mains at Sea level, and it's pretty close.
I'm sure others will chime in.
corsa996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 02:17 AM   #438
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer: 2,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Here's my setup:

2007 KTM 950 Super Enduro
350' above sea level

main air jet (40)
ACV (air cut valve) jet (90)
Idle-air jet (50)
160/162 Mains(F/R)
FP needle clip fourth from the top position
45 pilots
1.5 turns out on the fuel screw
4mm float height
Stock velocity stacks
SW7 ADV filter
Powercell tank
SM seat

The kicker is that I have a left side 2-1 with a stock muffler.

The bike was running great with stock needles, but I felt like it should be doing better since adding the SW7 filter setup. The intake honk is fun, the real punch to go with it was missing.

So, I stuck the FP needles in, with the clip in the 2nd position from the top, as FP says and let it warm up, the bike would then bog bad trying to get out of it's own way. right from clutch release. The idle seems just fine though. I think that it's a rich bog and pull it back to swap clip position.

Move the clip to the top position on the needles and it's even worse. I really have to slip the clutch to get the thing out of it's own way. I did have the presence of mind to try the choke to see if it helps the situation this time(anything has to be better at this point) and it does. Guess I had a lean bog?

Bring it back and swap the clip to the middle position and try to replicate the situation with the tank and stacks off and it does more of the same where it doesn't gain any RPM with advancing throttle. Finally it caught up and takes off, getting close to half throttle. I didn't even bother with a ride that time and stuck the clips to that fourth slot from the top and took it for a ride.

First gear wheelies are better, second still wont come up like I think it should, but it could be the gearing(17/45). The off idle transition is way better than with the stock needles, picking up the throttle out of a corner is much smoother now.

The only problem seems to be a slight hesitation or dip in the power right before the rpm tops out, the bike feels like it pauses for a sec before a slight rush at the end of the rev range.

Ideas?
Just for reference:
2007 SER
2-1 Remus Revolution
SW Filter Kit

178/182 Mains
FP Needles 3rd
42 Pilots
Floats at 4mm
Stock IAJ's

Will power wheelie through the first 3 gears easily and in 4th with a little up hill and tug on the bars.
Starts and idles like butta, low and mid are spot on. Have a little bit of hit going on top, might lean it out to try to tame it. First tank of gas returned only 29 mpg but I spent a lot of time in the dirt and not being kind to the rear tire just about everywhere. Intake "honk" and power is now intoxicating.

Pull your plugs and have a look. You might be a little lean on top being that close to sea level. Also install the mains that Chris recommends. I had a 70 instead of a 50 and it ran like complete crap when I first installed this kit.

Cheers Ken
hooliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 05:57 AM   #439
Sporting Wood OP
I <3 Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 871
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
I wish I could take credit for the jets that are in there, but that's how I got the bike and have only noticed the difference when swapping in the FP needles and making note of everything.

With the needle positions, I was just trying to be a little more specific, but if that's that standard to be counted from the top, then they're in position #4.

Everything seems to run like a raped ape with it setup there, except for a slight dip towards the top of the rev band.
If Its leaning out on the top end, and it may as your mains are a little small even with the 45 pilots, then I would recommend bumping them.up a few sizes.

This will unfortunately blow the rest of the carb out, enrichening idle up to transition. You will have to retune the bottom end to fit.

Ideally, we'd tune to the mains first though with the difficulty inherent to tuning the LC8, its easy to get them wrong and have to start over...
Sporting Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 07:03 AM   #440
Sporting Wood OP
I <3 Energizer Bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoznBlack View Post
Speaking of needle clip positions, was wondering how hard it is to change needle clip position with the carbs still mounted and gas tanks on? Been working on my jetting and may drop it a notch. Current setup:

Elevation: 2500' at home. Rides usually go up.
FMF dual exhaust, canisterectomy, sas blocked off.
SW intake
42 pilots
178/178 mains
4mm float height
2 turns out on the flex jets
3rd clip position on FP needles

Runs really strong, 35 mpg, a tad dark on the plugs. No flat spots or surges.

gurgles and pops when I chop the throttle, but no backfire per se. Sounds alot like a race car. Is this normal? Oddly it goes away when I pull in the choke enrichener. I can live with it, but wondering if its a symptom of jetting not quite right. Advice?
Could be a little rich up top due to the big mains and a little lean under 4000 rpms...though some amount of burble and pop is normal. The air cut off in the carb will cut flow when the throttle is chopped to save fuel/ prevent emissions. I would drop the mains a couple notches and see what it does to the bottom end. Often, even with the FP needle in /3, I find that 4mm floats are a tad too lean with 42 pilots. If you drop mains and it exacerbates the presumed lean condition under 4000, I may enrichen the floats to 3.5mm but would work on opening the screws first.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:08 AM   #441
Sporting Wood OP
I <3 Energizer Bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooliken View Post
Just for reference:
2007 SER
2-1 Remus Revolution
SW Filter Kit

178/182 Mains
FP Needles 3rd
42 Pilots
Floats at 4mm
Stock IAJ's

Will power wheelie through the first 3 gears easily and in 4th with a little up hill and tug on the bars.
Starts and idles like butta, low and mid are spot on. Have a little bit of hit going on top, might lean it out to try to tame it. First tank of gas returned only 29 mpg but I spent a lot of time in the dirt and not being kind to the rear tire just about everywhere. Intake "honk" and power is now intoxicating.

Pull your plugs and have a look. You might be a little lean on top being that close to sea level. Also install the mains that Chris recommends. I had a 70 instead of a 50 and it ran like complete crap when I first installed this kit.

Cheers Ken
Those mains are HUGE!!! But its hard to argue with somewhat decent mpg while on the throttle.

The thing is that these LC8's all run different!

You're not so far away. I want to get up with you and ride that thing one day this summer.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:28 AM   #442
Keith
Slabbing it

Oddometer: 862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporting Wood View Post
If Its leaning out on the top end, and it may as your mains are a little small even with the 45 pilots, then I would recommend bumping them.up a few sizes.

This will unfortunately blow the rest of the carb out, enrichening idle up to transition. You will have to retune the bottom end to fit.

Ideally, we'd tune to the mains first though with the difficulty inherent to tuning the LC8, its easy to get them wrong and have to start over...
Thank you. I'll give it a shot and hopefully have a smooth pull all the way through.

That single stock muffler isn't helping performance, but it sure is stealth.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:29 AM   #443
Keith
Slabbing it

Oddometer: 862
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooliken View Post
Just for reference:
2007 SER
2-1 Remus Revolution
SW Filter Kit

178/182 Mains
FP Needles 3rd
42 Pilots
Floats at 4mm
Stock IAJ's

Cheers Ken
I'll use this as a reference, thank you.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:11 PM   #444
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Quote:
Those mains are HUGE!!! But its hard to argue with somewhat decent mpg while on the throttle.

You're not so far away. I want to get up with you and ride that thing one day this summer.

Reason I went so big with mains is that the rear plug appears to be running hot. Bike does not over heat and fans only run when you expect them to. Of course I am running Iridium plugs and they can read a little different than standard plugs.

Definitely need to hook up this year man and would be my pleasure to let you ride her.

Cheers Ken
Old 03-15-2014, 05:36 AM   #445
ShoelessJoe
DefromisSedSupendium

Oddometer: 109
Is there anyone out there with a good 07-08 efi map to use with this kit? I've seen the 09 and up maps, but nothing for my older model ECU. This is the only thing holding me back from buying one of these.

I have the ability to use tuneECU, but not brave/smart enough to start messing with the tables myself.
ShoelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 06:50 AM   #446
bikyto
Dans le doute...gaz!

Oddometer: 2,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoelessJoe View Post
Is there anyone out there with a good 07-08 efi map to use with this kit? I've seen the 09 and up maps, but nothing for my older model ECU. This is the only thing holding me back from buying one of these.

I have the ability to use tuneECU, but not brave/smart enough to start messing with the tables myself.
PM me your email and bike info. I have a few maps that might work for you.
Old 03-15-2014, 08:00 AM   #447
CMurgel
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Do you also have maps for the 2011 Adventure?

I am looking for this system, but I am afraid of the mapping stuff since I leave in Brasil and there are a few down here that know how to do this modification.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikyto View Post
PM me your email and bike info. I have a few maps that might work for you.
CMurgel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 11:51 AM   #448
ADV67
Alsace rider

Oddometer: 86
The SW7 kit is mounted now and the bike is adjusted with the factory pro jets. Tested it today for a few hours and it runs just perfect. So much fun!

2008 SER
Akra's with DB killers
SW Filter Kit
SAS and EPC removed of course
168/170 Mains
FP Needles 3rd
42 Pilots
Floats at 3mm
Altitude around 1000ft up to 3000ft

Old 03-17-2014, 05:45 AM   #449
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Quote:

MPG Update with the 178/182 mains. Mixed riding, 2 days commuting, one day playing on gravel and back roads................ 34MPG. Best I ever got with the stock airbox, uni pre-filter and HDW jet kit was 37.
Old 03-17-2014, 04:10 PM   #450
ABuck99

Oddometer: 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADV67 View Post
The SW7 kit is mounted now and the bike is adjusted with the factory pro jets. Tested it today for a few hours and it runs just perfect. So much fun!

2008 SER
Akra's with DB killers
SW Filter Kit
SAS and EPC removed of course
168/170 Mains
FP Needles 3rd
42 Pilots
Floats at 3mm
Altitude around 1000ft up to 3000ft

Funny- I think I saw that face on a wanted poster somewhere....