Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2014, 01:27 PM   #496
ShoelessJoe
DefromisSedSupendium

Oddometer: 109
Mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by renogeorge View Post
35+ mpg on road. Off road was not good before leaning out the below 3000 RPM. SAI removed/off, all others ON. I can PM you the below 3000 changes if you want to try them
I have the kit and am getting ready to install it this week, but the reports of poor fuel milage worry me. My bike is getting 38-42 and I really don't want to make that worse.

Any other reports on fuel milage? Not looking for a Prius, but fuel range for some of the places I ride are important.

Bike is a 08 990 and I planned on staring with the 1% lean map.
ShoelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 04:39 PM   #497
Sporting Wood OP
I <3 Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 871
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoelessJoe View Post
I have the kit and am getting ready to install it this week, but the reports of poor fuel milage worry me. My bike is getting 38-42 and I really don't want to make that worse.

Any other reports on fuel milage? Not looking for a Prius, but fuel range for some of the places I ride are important.

Bike is a 08 990 and I planned on staring with the 1% lean map.
Fear not. You could keep the stock map if you wanted. It'll get slightly lean at high rpm but rarely do we go up there anyway. The maps as developed represent the idea of extracting more preformance which is found by throwing more fuel into the fire. I dont think anyones actually made a map with efficiency in mind before RenoGeorge. Eliminating intake restriction and providing cooler air due to better airflow can only make the motor more efficient.
Sporting Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 12:09 AM   #498
dratom
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporting Wood View Post
45 pilots, needle at /4, and good size main as you have will make for a rich low end! Even with 5mm floats.
If there was one thing I wish I knew before spending an hour getting the floats to exactly 5mm - this would be it.

Quote:
I start much like you did with the 45's, moderate mains, needle in the middle... Form there I adjust the mains, then the needle, lastly the float to compensate the bottom for top end adjustments up or down from the 4mm initial setting. It seems like you have a bike that likes a high needle and is well tuned and runs large mains. This causes problems on the bottom that I'm afraid nearly mean a do-over. Some LC8's just cannot do the 45 pilots, and it seems that your move to 5mm and it still being rich confirms this.
I'm not sure whether to be happy that mine likes to drink from big mains, or sad that the next step begins with "and now we start over"

Quote:
I would reset floats back to 3.5-4mm and install 42 pilots. I would also open up the fuel screws a half-3/4 turn more just to start. From this I would again find the ideal main, likely moving up a size or 3. From here, check needle then adjust float and screws to level the bottom end.

I have set up many bikes like this with 42 pilots. Float heights run anywhere from 2-4mm mostly depending on needle position. /4 will mean a slightly leaner float than if you were running /2 for instance. Mains will be between 170-178... Most likely. I haven't had a bike that really digested a 180.
Given that I'm close with 172/175 and a 45 pilot, I'm thinking 178/180 with 42. But that contradicts your above. Can a 1/2 step in mains compensate for the pilot drop?

Quote:

Regarding the O2 setup. Its very important to set the sensor either in the pipe with a bung or ...
I have a bung welded into the front header pipe. Before adjusting the floats to 5mm I was fouling the sensor into uselessness within 2 minutes of steady state cruising.

Quote:
Tuning with the wideband though, makes it very much easier. I've also found that most LC8's like the mixture a little more lean than rich. I like to tune around 13.5-14 afr's.

Cheers and good luck. Keep us posted on how the tuning goes.

Great information. Thanks.
I too was pleased to get the AFR readings working. Things happen fast enough at WFO that working out what is going on is a challenge.

Will post back after downsizing pilots.
dratom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 06:41 PM   #499
Sned
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
And yet another satisfied customer!!!!

I've had my 950ADV for a year and thought it was a dog after my last bike, a 1000 V-Strom. I was so disappointed with the performance I started doing a lot of research to find the best valued mods to improve performance. After hearing all the good reports with the Sporting wood set-up I took the plunge. Just installed this weekend and boy did those changes wake the bike up, seems like a totally different machine. Iím already running Arkaís so I used the recommended jet in the FP instructions and installed the 165/168 mains, needles in the 3rd notch, my floats where already at 4mm so I left them alone, mixture screws at 2 Ĺ turns. I think the jetting is pretty close, no bog, crisp throttle response, pulls really well. If the mileage stays good Iíll leave it where itís at.

Thanks SW for offering a great product!!!
2001 Suzuki DRZ400
1990 Suzuki DR350
Sned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 07:33 AM   #500
Sned
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sned View Post
I've had my 950ADV for a year and thought it was a dog after my last bike, a 1000 V-Strom. I was so disappointed with the performance I started doing a lot of research to find the best valued mods to improve performance. After hearing all the good reports with the Sporting wood set-up I took the plunge. Just installed this weekend and boy did those changes wake the bike up, seems like a totally different machine. Iím already running Arkaís so I used the recommended jet in the FP instructions and installed the 165/168 mains, needles in the 3rd notch, my floats where already at 4mm so I left them alone, mixture screws at 2 Ĺ turns. I think the jetting is pretty close, no bog, crisp throttle response, pulls really well. If the mileage stays good Iíll leave it where itís at.

Thanks SW for offering a great product!!!
Checked the fuel mileage with the SW set-up yesterday evening. I averaged 38 MPG in mixed driving, some off-road, back roads and even some expressway. That's about my mileage before the conversion so two thumbs up on the Sporting Wood filter.
2001 Suzuki DRZ400
1990 Suzuki DR350
Sned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 05:17 AM   #501
keener
Speed changes you.

Oddometer: 908
Quote:
Regarding the O2 setup. Its very important to set the sensor either in the pipe with a bung or draw exhaust through a tube to the sensor. I use a piece of 3/8" refrigeration copper about 3' long that insures I get a good and accurate reading from in front of the balance pipe. The tube goes into a larger tube that I put a sensor bung on then gasses exit through a short bit of coiled copper line. The reasoning here is that the v twin pulses considerably may effect readings if the sensor is hanging off the end of the pipe. This tends to give false leaner readings. Tuning with the wideband though, makes it very much easier. I've also found that most LC8's like the mixture a little more lean than rich. I like to tune around 13.5-14 afr's.
would you please post a photo of this?
Old 05-16-2014, 04:50 PM   #502
Gustavo.Ramos
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 703
Am i the only one noticing a loud knocking like sound at 4000 rpm? Its a 990.

bike runs great, yet theres a loud sound at 4k and disapears before 4,5k rpm.. I know it s a short range, but most of the riding is right there...

Raid de L'Amitiť 2011 RR (link)
690R
Gustavo.Ramos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 06:57 PM   #503
renogeorge
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,157
My old ears don't hear any knocking. Yes, more intake sound. But I would not describe that as knocking
Old 05-17-2014, 06:42 AM   #504
Gustavo.Ramos
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 703
990 Akra + sw/cpr filter type.

http://youtu.be/ISkgoOEqfr8

Pls focus on 4k - 4,5k rpm range, theres a different sound, more noticeable in the bike than in the vid. Does this sound like any other bike fitted with this setup?

Film quality aint great, had to hold the phone with one hand and the other was in the bars...

Raid de L'Amitiť 2011 RR (link)
690R
Gustavo.Ramos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 08:29 AM   #505
Sporting Wood OP
I <3 Energizer Bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustavo.Ramos View Post
990 Akra + sw/cpr filter type.

http://youtu.be/ISkgoOEqfr8

Pls focus on 4k - 4,5k rpm range, theres a different sound, more noticeable in the bike than in the vid. Does this sound like any other bike fitted with this setup?

Film quality aint great, had to hold the phone with one hand and the other was in the bars...
Man, I'd be scared I would drop my phone when the wind catches my glove! I like the sound! You will get more with the filter but you will also get a bit louder with it lean in the midrange or if the valves are a little off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keener View Post
would you please post a photo of this?
That much exit loop is a little overkill...but it works great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sned View Post
Checked the fuel mileage with the SW set-up yesterday evening. I averaged 38 MPG in mixed driving, some off-road, back roads and even some expressway. That's about my mileage before the conversion so two thumbs up on the Sporting Wood filter.
Cheers!
Old 05-19-2014, 09:36 AM   #506
NVTS
stupid hipster dufus

Oddometer: 589
SW7, so where are we with that silver, left tank?
NVTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 10:37 AM   #507
Sporting Wood OP
I <3 Energizer Bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVTS View Post
SW7, so where are we with that silver, left tank?
Its hanging on a hook in the shop. Come on down and bring lots of beer! Haha

Forgot. Not there now but will send you some pics wgen I get back.
Old 05-19-2014, 10:42 AM   #508
bikyto
Dans le doute...gaz!

Oddometer: 2,139
Sw7, been using your setup. Very happy with it so far. How is your glove box setup coming along?
Cheers!
Old 05-19-2014, 10:44 AM   #509
Sporting Wood OP
I <3 Energizer Bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikyto View Post
Sw7, been using your setup. Very happy with it so far. How is your glove box setup coming along?
Cheers!
Patience Grasshopper. I've had a few issues that needed to be overcome but its entering production. It'll be awesome and inexpensive too!
Old 05-19-2014, 10:55 AM   #510
bikyto
Dans le doute...gaz!

Oddometer: 2,139
Quote:
Patience Grasshopper. I've had a few issues that needed to be overcome but its entering production. It'll be awesome and inexpensive too!
I shall work on my meditation to gain more patience....
Woohoo...