ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-30-2014, 09:49 AM   #526
Sporting Wood OP
I <3 Energizer Bunny
 
Sporting Wood's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Horneytown, NC
Oddometer: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckracer View Post
Chris, I have 1ea: 160, 165, 175, 178, 180, 182 if there's anything there you need...
Lots of 168's 170's 175's 178's etc... Only one 172. Tells ya something, eh?

I've got an order with FP. Can add on some 172's for you.
Sporting Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 10:41 AM   #527
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer
 
mousitsas's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Athens, Greece
Oddometer: 2,709
I must have the only 950 in the known universe which needs larger than 182 mains
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 10:47 AM   #528
Sporting Wood OP
I <3 Energizer Bunny
 
Sporting Wood's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Horneytown, NC
Oddometer: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitsas View Post
I must have the only 950 in the known universe which needs larger than 182 mains

Curious, what kind of afr are you pulling at near redline?
Sporting Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 10:50 PM   #529
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer
 
mousitsas's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Athens, Greece
Oddometer: 2,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporting Wood View Post
Curious, what kind of afr are you pulling at near redline?
With 180/182 mains and stock needles at 3rd, a perfect 12.8 to 13.2 depending on temperature. Roll-on when on the mains is tremendous with these settings and top speed is well above 200km/hr.
With FP needles on 4th at some point it stops accelerating at around 180km/hr where I see AFR above 14 and if I open the throttle further, afr shoots to the sky.
All acceleration tests are done sitting at 150km/hr and slowly opening to WOT, on 6th gear, close to sea level.
It makes no difference on WOT afr between 42 and 45 pilots, floats are set at 3mm and exhausts are open akras.

mousitsas screwed with this post 06-30-2014 at 11:30 PM
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 06:54 AM   #530
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus
 
Chuckracer's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Lowville, NY
Oddometer: 8,008
Update - I bent one of my Factory needles (ham-fisted moment), so went back to stock needles (#3), 42 pilots (stock), 178/180 mains, 1.5 air screws, 4mm floats, everything else stock...HOLY SHIT!! She runs GREAT!! No more hesitation when picking up the throttle, pulls like a raped ape from 6k up to redline and still returns 40+ mpg...I think I'm done.

Thanks to Mousitsas for the lead...
__________________
2005.5 KTM 950 Adventure
2005 Ducati ST3
Chuckracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 07:46 PM   #531
Thumper996
Studly Adventurer
 
Thumper996's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Oddometer: 592
Western States Trip - Jetting Advise

Looking for owners out in higher elevation states with SW filter kit and jetting for street riding on 950 SM. Doing 2 week ride in Colorado, Utah, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming late August.

Jetting currently set for 500 to 3,500 sea level with no issues, but I am looking to lean mains and IMS screws before trip.

I have a baseline already fir trip, but curious what others have theirs tuned to with SW kit and good flowing exhaust system.

Thanks
Thumper

FP needles installed as well
Thumper996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 09:48 AM   #532
BoznBlack
Go Big
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Oddometer: 63
Elevation: 2500' at home. Rides usually go up to 10K
FMF dual exhaust, canisterectomy, sas blocked off.
SW intake
42 pilots
172/172 mains
4mm float height
2 1/2 turns out on the flex jets
3rd clip position on FP needles
All else stock
Mileage decent 35-38 mpg, so range is ok.

It runs stronger WOT with 178 mains at home in cooler weather, but I prefer the above for general riding in summer that may hit higher elevations. Seems to be about right...
BoznBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:06 AM   #533
Central Cali Rider
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Central Cali Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Oddometer: 405
I know this was a couple years ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporting Wood View Post
Yep.

This is a good setup for touring.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gefr View Post
Your bike's settings with ITG air filter and Akras:

Stock air jets = Idle Air Jets #50
FP needle @ 2
42 slow jets = stock low jets #42
178 main jets
4mm floats
Screws @2 = Idle Mixture Screws
Just pulled the trigger from Chris and excited. I too have Akrapovic exhaust on. Has anything changed as far as recommendations ? I live at sea level on the coast of California , the highest elevation I will see after a couple of months when the snow (praying) closes the roads in Sierras is about 4000. I installed the FP kit when I bought the bike in 2007 so I have both stock and the kit available. I am going to say the majority of my time will be on the road and light forest service roads. I have Conti Trail attacks on and can't get them worn out to swap them for a Colorado ride next summer.

So the above still a good mix for overall economy and happiness ?

Next summer in the mountains, what is a good suggestion to change once I get there as far as 7k to 13k.... looking forward to a "new" bike...
__________________
Central Kali Coast
2005 KTM 950 Adventure
1965 Meyers Manx Dune Buggy
2006 Suzuki SV1000S for wifey Sold !
1997 KLR650 For sale SOLD !!
Central Cali Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 01:06 PM   #534
Central Cali Rider
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Central Cali Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Oddometer: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Cali Rider View Post
Just pulled the trigger from Chris and excited. I too have Akrapovic exhaust on. Has anything changed as far as recommendations ? I live at sea level on the coast of California , the highest elevation I will see after a couple of months when the snow (praying) closes the roads in Sierras is about 4000. I installed the FP kit when I bought the bike in 2007 so I have both stock and the kit available. I am going to say the majority of my time will be on the road and light forest service roads. I have Conti Trail attacks on and can't get them worn out to swap them for a Colorado ride next summer.

So the above still a good mix for overall economy and happiness ?

Next summer in the mountains, what is a good suggestion to change once I get there as far as 7k to 13k.... looking forward to a "new" bike...

OK I installed 172 front main 175 rear main. Adjusted the floats to 4mm and set the idle to 2.0 turns. 45 idle jets were in and left them. Hope to test it out next week as I am waiting on a clutch part..
__________________
Central Kali Coast
2005 KTM 950 Adventure
1965 Meyers Manx Dune Buggy
2006 Suzuki SV1000S for wifey Sold !
1997 KLR650 For sale SOLD !!
Central Cali Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 05:33 PM   #535
Sporting Wood OP
I <3 Energizer Bunny
 
Sporting Wood's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Horneytown, NC
Oddometer: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Cali Rider View Post
Just pulled the trigger from Chris and excited. I too have Akrapovic exhaust on. Has anything changed as far as recommendations ? I live at sea level on the coast of California , the highest elevation I will see after a couple of months when the snow (praying) closes the roads in Sierras is about 4000. I installed the FP kit when I bought the bike in 2007 so I have both stock and the kit available. I am going to say the majority of my time will be on the road and light forest service roads. I have Conti Trail attacks on and can't get them worn out to swap them for a Colorado ride next summer.

So the above still a good mix for overall economy and happiness ?

Next summer in the mountains, what is a good suggestion to change once I get there as far as 7k to 13k.... looking forward to a "new" bike...
In my experience, the combination of 42 pilot, 2nt clip and 4mm floats tends to be rather lean on the low end even with larger mains, 178's. California riding tends to go a tiny bit richer than we have here in the east, humidity being insufferably higher here. I recommend starting at the 3rd clip with the fp needle, 42 pilots and 4mm floats. I tend to prefer smaller mains 172 or so but since you're out west, 175 may be a better start. I have run this setup, with 172 mains, up to 13,000' in Colorado and it runs ok. Its great at sea level but chugs a little once over 10k', but not unbearably so. Previously to CO, I have run the same mains with /2 and 2.5mm floats.

The key to the whole thing however is tuning your bike specifically. They all like slightly different tuning since there is a wide variation in cam timing and the carbs are so hideously sensitive. Start with mains, find whats got the correct afr, best hp at wfo or top speed. Takes a dyno or a closed course to do this right. Mid 170's seem to be accommodating with most all bikes with 42 pilots. 45's tend to need slightly smaller mains. From there, adjust float height and needle position. /3 tends to work best with most. /2 tends to create a slight hesitation in most LC8's when accelerating through 4000-6000 and some bikes will like /4, though these are in the minority. I always set /3 first with 4mm floats. If you find it bogs at needle transition, around 4000rpm, then you may find /2 is better. I have seen a few of these but they are in the minority as well. /2 works best with a richer float, 2.5-3mm imho. Conversely, /4 will call for perhaps a slightly leaner float than 4mm, however it ins't as dramatic a step as going from /2 to /3.

Good luck, let me know how it goes. Have a great trip!
Sporting Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 07:47 AM   #536
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor
 
hooliken's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Smithfield, VA
Oddometer: 2,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporting Wood View Post
Those mains are HUGE!!! But its hard to argue with somewhat decent mpg while on the throttle.

The thing is that these LC8's all run different!

You're not so far away. I want to get up with you and ride that thing one day this summer.
Follow up:

2007 SER
2-1 Remus Revolution
SW Filter Kit

178/182 Mains
FP Needles 3rd
42 Pilots
Floats at 4mm
Stock IAJ's


Still running the above set up. Commuting and riding like a sane person has returned up to 40 mpg. Runs like stink and the plugs look good. Still feel that there may be some gains to be had in the mid-range.

Anybody, with similar jetting, played with needle position or experimented with different needles?

Cheers Ken
__________________
"People in this country sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell
950R Super Enduro - 450EXC - Gas Gas TXT 280 - 2000 Honda XR100R - 1988 Honda Z50R
hooliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 10:43 AM   #537
NVTS
stupid hipster dufus
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Big Lick Virginia
Oddometer: 619
Ken, I have
04 ADV
SW7 air kit with SAS delete and smog-b-gone
2-1 Akra's can
175 180 main
FP needle #3
42 pilot
Stock iaj
Flex jets 2.5 out
Floats 4mm

Getting 37mpg under mixed conditions. Happy except for the hesitation between 4200-4600 rpm. It also pops a bit on choke.
Leaving Thursday for a TAT trip, I will see what it makes at altitude.
NVTS
NVTS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 11:02 AM   #538
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor
 
hooliken's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Smithfield, VA
Oddometer: 2,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVTS View Post
Ken, I have
04 ADV
SW7 air kit with SAS delete and smog-b-gone
2-1 Akra's can
175 180 main
FP needle #3
42 pilot
Stock iaj
Flex jets 2.5 out
Floats 4mm

Getting 37mpg under mixed conditions. Happy except for the hesitation between 4200-4600 rpm. It also pops a bit on choke.
Leaving Thursday for a TAT trip, I will see what it makes at altitude.
NVTS

What do you think of the flex jets with this setup? It would be nice to dial in the idle. I have issues when it gets crazy humid, which it has been, with the occasional flame out, when blipping during down shifting. For now I just add an 1/8 to 1/4 turn on the idle and seems to help.

Cheers
__________________
"People in this country sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell
950R Super Enduro - 450EXC - Gas Gas TXT 280 - 2000 Honda XR100R - 1988 Honda Z50R
hooliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 04:11 PM   #539
Central Cali Rider
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Central Cali Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Oddometer: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporting Wood View Post
In my experience, the combination of 42 pilot, 2nt clip and 4mm floats tends to be rather lean on the low end even with larger mains, 178's. California riding tends to go a tiny bit richer than we have here in the east, humidity being insufferably higher here. I recommend starting at the 3rd clip with the fp needle, 42 pilots and 4mm floats. I tend to prefer smaller mains 172 or so but since you're out west, 175 may be a better start. I have run this setup, with 172 mains, up to 13,000' in Colorado and it runs ok. Its great at sea level but chugs a little once over 10k', but not unbearably so. Previously to CO, I have run the same mains with /2 and 2.5mm floats.

The key to the whole thing however is tuning your bike specifically. They all like slightly different tuning since there is a wide variation in cam timing and the carbs are so hideously sensitive. Start with mains, find whats got the correct afr, best hp at wfo or top speed. Takes a dyno or a closed course to do this right. Mid 170's seem to be accommodating with most all bikes with 42 pilots. 45's tend to need slightly smaller mains. From there, adjust float height and needle position. /3 tends to work best with most. /2 tends to create a slight hesitation in most LC8's when accelerating through 4000-6000 and some bikes will like /4, though these are in the minority. I always set /3 first with 4mm floats. If you find it bogs at needle transition, around 4000rpm, then you may find /2 is better. I have seen a few of these but they are in the minority as well. /2 works best with a richer float, 2.5-3mm imho. Conversely, /4 will call for perhaps a slightly leaner float than 4mm, however it ins't as dramatic a step as going from /2 to /3.

Good luck, let me know how it goes. Have a great trip!
Thanks Ken, when I put it back together probably after Labor Day I will let you know. Unless my Flea Bay complete clutch ends up being a waste.. Then that will set me back a few weeks.
__________________
Central Kali Coast
2005 KTM 950 Adventure
1965 Meyers Manx Dune Buggy
2006 Suzuki SV1000S for wifey Sold !
1997 KLR650 For sale SOLD !!
Central Cali Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 04:18 PM   #540
NVTS
stupid hipster dufus
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Big Lick Virginia
Oddometer: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooliken View Post
What do you think of the flex jets with this setup? It would be nice to dial in the idle. I have issues when it gets crazy humid, which it has been, with the occasional flame out, when blipping during down shifting. For now I just add an 1/8 to 1/4 turn on the idle and seems to help.

Cheers

I've only got 300 miles on the setup. My forks are off getting serviced before my departure so I likely won't be able to report until mid September. But I do like the ability to lift off e seat and tune them in.
NVTS is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014