Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2013, 08:08 AM   #46
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
So... you're JRA and someone goes all aggro on you. Unless you have your cell run thru a commo system on the bike, its on, etc. how exactly is it you're supposed to call the cops? You certainly can't write down a tag # on the move.

Driving a car? I can see that. On a MC or a bicycle its a different story.

M
So why couldn't you just pull over and get your phone out? I hope that's what you'd do in the car - otherwise you might be the one who causes another motorcyclist to exereience the same thing. A better idea still is to just stay out of their way in the first place! If your situational awareness is such that you LET someone do this to you, it might very well be you and not them that causesd it and you simply misinterpreted their reaction.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride

slartidbartfast screwed with this post 03-18-2013 at 08:21 AM
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:45 AM   #47
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
So why couldn't you just pull over and get your phone out? I hope that's what you'd do in the car - otherwise you might be the one who causes another motorcyclist to exereience the same thing. A better idea still is to just stay out of their way in the first place! If your situational awareness is such that you LET someone do this to you, it might very well be you and not them that causesd it and you simply misinterpreted their reaction.
Have you never ridden a bicycle? LET someone get aggro on me? I can't prevent it!

On a MC, different story. Some of it is preventable. Some of it isn't. You just never know when someone's gonna snap.

May not even be anything you do! May have been someone else on a pushie- or motor-bike that set em off and you just happen to receive the brunt of their anger.

M
Old 03-18-2013, 09:09 AM   #48
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by duck View Post
Sorry but this just doesn't sound very bright or well thought out to me. I assume this irritates their eyes and distracts them. It may get them to slow down but if you're hindering their vision and ability to pay attention then you're putting not only the tailgater but those in other vehicles around them at risk.
I doubt they would be driving anywhere for quite some time. As soon as they started the car (and the ventilation system), everyone would be piling out post haste...
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:19 AM   #49
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta View Post
I have really nasty temper that rears it ugly head every now and then. I used to carry sparkplugs, and master locks in my jacket pockets....
I've done more than my share of things I probably shouldnt have and the only way I can keep myself from doing those things in the future is to realize it pretty much just makes things worse.
It can make things worse in more then a few ways,Ive got a zinging temper as well but make every attempt not to make a fool of myself with it.
The funny thing is if I ride in town like Im in a combination war zone/shorttrack race nothing seems to happen in the way of cages cutting me off,trying to hit me at intersections or other stupid shit.

1. I dont ride fast in town,I mosey my way out of town and go riding,fast town riding is just asking for altercations with vehicles,obviously I dont live in a big city thank Dog.

1. I treat every intersection as if it could be my last,many ways to get off'd from many different angles,I dont race other vehicles through intersections or pretend one isnt going to turn left in front of me.
Take your time and survive.

3. If there's a lot of side streets where cars can jump out and nail me I dont give em the chance,I watch close and dont ride fast,having my leg smashed by a car and thrown 40 feet would ruin the rest of the day.

4.I hate tailgating,its the worst stupidest thing people can do,but many do it everytime any car or bike is ahead of them,they're in a hurry/no brains.
I zip to the side of the road and wave em by,then they tailgate the car ahead,nothing will make them stop doing it.

Im just trying to get out to where the good corners are to go riding,town riding or freeway riding isnt where the fun is,just gotta survive it.
Dont put your self in such a position where you leave your self open to broadsides from cars or any other contact,after lots of years riding it becomes instinct.
Dont ride fast in town like college kids on sportbikes do,your not that stupid?
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Flashy anger attacks can be when a heart attack strikes,it puts your body in maximum fight/flight mode,your endangering your self as much as your target. Watch a 4 year old having a tantrum,its the same thing road rage is made of.

Let It Go.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:26 AM   #50
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Advntr View Post
There is some cager fool out there who received a broken nose courtesy of me after he tried to kill me while i was riding in the rain, in traffic. cc1991. I caught up to him at the airport, where he had parked his rental car at the curb and had gone inside trying to get a way from me.

When I walked into baggage claim looking for him I heard "hey asshole are you looking for me?". I walked up to him and clocked him in the nose as hard as I could and down he went. As I sat upon him to beat him some more the cops ran up pulled me off him.

He got a severely broken nose and missed his flight, I got swift justice. The cops were very cool and my eyewitness to the confrontation who was wearing a suit turned out to be a motorcycle rider. The cops actually commented to me about the asshole rightfully getting his due.

As far as the OP's situation...video camera. That fat broad was just plain evil and need a bitch slap and a visit to jenny craig.

I drive 500-800 miles per week for work and I have recently equipped my vehicle with a camera as I have seen enough craziness from everyone - truck drivers and cars included. It will also be on the motorcycle when i ride.

Had I had a video camera peering out the front of my motorcycle March 22, 2013 we all could watch me on You tube almost get t boned [missed by about 5 feet]by a ny state troop car while riding on I86 in NY where it crosses the the Allegheny reservoir. What was he doing....oh he was playing cowboy wanting to chase the 80 mph 18 wheeler that was 10 seconds ahead of me. I just happended to be in the way when he came charging out of his hiding spot in the median. Without video it was I said...he said...case closed, no retribution to the cowboy for the most unprofessional moment. Count your blessings
I hate to say it but that sounds like bullshit.
Cops dont watch guys break guy's noses and congratulate them,no matter the supposed cause.
Its a great story but it doesnt happen outside of an internet story.

Foot dragger screwed with this post 03-18-2013 at 09:26 PM
Foot dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:42 AM   #51
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Have you never ridden a bicycle? LET someone get aggro on me? I can't prevent it!...
You can AVOID it. That's why some riders (or cyclists) are always going on about this or that "a-hole", while other riders never seem to have any trouble. You can avoid trouble by being more aware of what others are doing. If you are the sort of rider who gets themselves into trouble on a regular basis, firstly YOU are part of the problem and secondly, YOU need to be able to deal with any resulting anger issues and not escalate things.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:51 AM   #52
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
You can AVOID it. That's why some riders (or cyclists) are always going on about this or that "a-hole", while other riders never seem to have any trouble. You can avoid trouble by being more aware of what others are doing. If you are the sort of rider who gets themselves into trouble on a regular basis, firstly YOU are part of the problem and secondly, YOU need to be able to deal with any resulting anger issues and not escalate things.
Umm OK.

You've got me confused with someone else. I'm the one that said 'let the be an and don't let him make you mad.'

He/they WANT you to be mad. When they don't get the feedback they're looking for, it short-circuits the thought process.

I've seen it both ways on both bicycles and MCs.

M
Old 03-18-2013, 11:13 AM   #53
ttpete
Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer: 5,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
I hate to say it but that sounds like bullshit.
Cops dont watch buys break guy's noses and congratulate them,no matter the supposed cause.
Its a great story but it doesnt happen outside of an internet story.
There is something known as "mutual combat" where both parties are seen squaring off and having a go at each other. That's not regarded as criminal. I suppose it could be called "disorderly conduct".
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
ttpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:03 PM   #54
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,917
I had a mouth breather try and shove me off a country two lane road into the ditch/wire fence/trees while trying to pass him. He was doing 29 in a 35 zone. Came right on over into my half of the road while looking at right me in the mirror.
Followed him to his house and asked why he tried to kill me. "You can't pass on that road", was his response.
It was a county road, on a long straightaway with no center markings. It IS legal to pass on that road. I then went directly to the county sheriffs office a few blocks away.

I told them what happened. Their response..."Nothing we can do sir. You can fill out a warrant and we can serve it but it will be your word against his"...
"You can't even just go talk to the guy and educate him on what the passing laws are?"

"No sir."

Police(at least here) are totally F'n worthless.

I've been looking into GoPro's but I don't have a computer with Windows 7 on it. It doesn't work with XP pro... I do have a netbook with Windows 7 starter. I need to call and see if it will work with that.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:15 PM   #55
Jnich77
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post

Awwwwe... did you need the Police to hold your hand and and tell you that everything was going to be all right?
Jnich77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:22 PM   #56
ride4fun562
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
Don't feel bad OP alot of us do it , and i believe that the level of ignorance on the road warrants all of our actions , some idiot pulled out of an in-n-out infront of me the other day in an effort to cross all three lanes to get to the median to go the opposite way he was supposed to, he didnt even make it into the median all the way so i proceeded to kick the shit out of his bumper, fuck em im not gonna die cause you want to go home and eat your cheeseburger. The next day some truck driver had his blinker on for about a mile so i pull up next to him to tell him its on , and low and behold he's on his cell phone , I ranted and called him very bad things , hopefully he got the message cause i told him i would call his company and complain . I have hundreds of stories like this , just be glad you don't live in southern california like me. Hell id be a cop just so i could shit on bad drivers
ride4fun562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:36 PM   #57
Antiquar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
I don't know how some of you guys get so angry and still enjoy street riding. I just shake my head and ride on. I treat them as obstacles, as another poster suggested.

I do understand the desire to educate such reckless and irresponsible drivers, but I doubt they'll learn until they kill a rider. I try my damndest to avoid being that person.
Antiquar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:46 PM   #58
ttpete
Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer: 5,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
I had a mouth breather try and shove me off a country two lane road into the ditch/wire fence/trees while trying to pass him. He was doing 29 in a 35 zone. Came right on over into my half of the road while looking at right me in the mirror.
Followed him to his house and asked why he tried to kill me. "You can't pass on that road", was his response.
It was a county road, on a long straightaway with no center markings. It IS legal to pass on that road. I then went directly to the county sheriffs office a few blocks away.

I told them what happened. Their response..."Nothing we can do sir. You can fill out a warrant and we can serve it but it will be your word against his"...
"You can't even just go talk to the guy and educate him on what the passing laws are?"

"No sir."

I've been looking into GoPro's but I don't have a computer with Windows 7 on it. It doesn't work with XP pro... I do have a netbook with Windows 7 starter. I need to call and see if it will work with that.
I'm sure you could think of a few things you could do to take care of business.....

How about a Craigslist ad for a one day estate sale at his place that includes a large gun collection and "everything must go". They'll show up banging on his door at 5 AM......
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
ttpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:00 PM   #59
Jnich77
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
How about a Craigslist ad for a one day estate sale at his place that includes a large gun collection and "everything must go". They'll show up banging on his door at 5 AM......

Best.revenge.idea.ever!!!!!!
Jnich77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:02 PM   #60
aj_day
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
I used to ride a bicycle to work every day - no car or motorcycle. I had many car-bike contact experiences, and I can appreciate that there is something completely different about a malice induced incident than an accident caused by inattentiveness. This is not meant to excuse inattentiveness, but I got hit by 2 drivers that just "did not see me until it was too late". It was obvious that they both were horrified and felt terrible about the accident. Even though I was hurt and my bike was damaged, it was hard to rage against them because it was clear that they were truly sorry about what happened. I felt they would most likely take the experience to heart and learn a valuable lesson.

Driver's who messed with me on purpose, on the other hand, caused me to basically lose my mind. The notion that they were putting my life at risk for their personal entertainment put me in beast mode (I was in my mid-20's during that era). I was not able to think rationally anymore. There was a disproportionate number of rednecks in red pickup trucks and teenagers in WASP-y cars that would try to run me off the road, off bridges, into embankments, or throw things at me (a few highlights; nuts and bolts, McDonalds entrees, golf balls). Their combination of high testosterone and low seratonin was often not conducive to high level critical thinking, however. They always neglected to consider that cars had to wait in line at stoplights, bicycles can just roll right on up beside them...

I used to carry a "courtesy rock" in my pocket, and wore shoes with large metal cleats on the bottom. I broke a few windows and kicked a few doors with the force of a large, fit young man operating on reptilian brain only. It was never the right move, but it is what I did.

I used to race everything that I could get my hands on, and have broken many bones (including my back). I have had to tone down my fierce intensity in order to live with myself. I am 40 years old now, I have 2 kids, I want to be around for grandkids some day. I lost my driver's license over an extra special combination of speeding tickets when I was 21. Now my wife makes fun of me for driving like a grandma some times. It is not my nature, but I am trying to be cool like the Fonz. When I am successful, I find that I am much happier at the end of the day.

I believe that the cops have a very difficult task to perform in situations like this. Most of the people that they talk to most days are trying to BS them about very personal and often emotionally charged situations. I do not blame them for being skeptical when confronted with a complaint about someone who has been maligned by someone else in a situation where there are no witnesses and no physical evidence. Short of running a camera all the time, what else can you do?

I choose to drive like a grandma around other drivers on my motorcycle most of the time. Smile and wave, get out of the way. I will do my 'good time' riding when there are no other drivers around, or at the race track.

If I get messed with in town, I do my best to pull over to the side of the road and stop. What are they going to do then? I have had 3 people stop too (out of who knows how many - most just keep on driving). 2 out of 3 just stopped for a minute, then took off again. One 65+ year old man took a swing at me. I grabbed his arm and told him he was going to have a heart attack if he did not calm down. He called me a few names and got back in his car. Most people are really not prepared for an interpersonal confrontation. They are anonymous and protected inside their car. Once they get out, the anonymity and the protection go away.

If I am in a rural area and gettting hazed by a solitary vehicle with no one else around, I can twist my wrist and be gone in just a few seconds. The bike I ride most goes about 170, and I have ridden it at the track many times.

Sorry for the long post. I identify with this topic, and I can see it both ways... Hoping to become calmer and more detached with each passing year.

aj_day screwed with this post 03-18-2013 at 02:11 PM
aj_day is offline   Reply With Quote