ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2014, 09:23 AM   #1
StuartV OP
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 758
Reckless summons, near Monterey, VA. Advice?

I was riding 219/250 from Elkins, WV, to Staunton, VA, on Friday. A VA state patrol radared me at 75 in a 55 and wrote me up for the full amount. Which means Reckless Driving and a summons to appear in court in Monterey, VA, later in August.

I'm new to VA, so I have real clue about how this works here. I do have my VA driver license. Can any of you guys with some experience in this area give me any suggestions?

Should I get a lawyer? If so, suggestions on who?

Should I just show up in court and beg for mercy (i.e. reduced to a simple speeding charge and go to driving school)?

Should I call the county clerk of court and request to write a letter to the judge, then plead no contest and ask for reduction to speeding, instead of trying to appear in person?

Should I try to fight it? If so, suggestions on specifics of doing that?

Any and all suggestions are welcome and appreciated!
Racer, Drummer, Bassist, Software Engineer
StuartV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:30 AM   #2
VACommuter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,349
I got a ticket for "reckless" in my truck a few years ago (Prince William County) that was not speed related. I had a squeaky clean record with maximum good points. I spent about $1000 for an attorney that I found in the yellow pages. Local with a really big ad. She was cute as a button and sweet talked the trooper and prosecutor into dropping the charge if I successfully attended Driver Improvement Training school. Blew a weekend at the school and sent the certificate to my lawyer and it was like the whole thing never happened. I'm not sure I would have been able to successfully negotiate the "deal" that my lawyer did. Good luck.

VAC
2003 KLR 685 "Street Ugly"
2007 KLR 650/719 "Muscles from Brussels"
VACommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:49 AM   #3
windblown101
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
I'd do an internet search on speeding ticket & Monterey, VA. The state revenuers down there are rather infamous. I'd probably opt for a local lawyer to take care of it so I wouldn't have to go down and appear. Since you were right at the limit for reckless they should be able to get you down to regular speeding.

Good luck.
windblown101 is offline   Reply With Quote