User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2013, 02:00 PM   #1
furiousfart OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215
On the road oil changes

Going to be heading out for a pretty good loop of the US in a few months and was curious about what people do while on the road for an oil change. More specifically what do you use to catch the oil you are draining out? I'm looking for suggestions either something that can pack up small or creative. I'd rather not buy a catch pan like you get at the auto parts store and bring it with me or leave it behind.
furiousfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:19 PM   #2
Wlfman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,288
Stop at Wal mart, buy oil and filter. Then ask the automotive service dept if you can borrow a drain pan. Change oil in parking lot, Wal mart will dispose of oil.

Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."
"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."
Wlfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:45 PM   #3
Hektoglider
One with Life

Oddometer: 2,536
Buy a gallon of water for drinking etc. then cut the side of the empty jug open and drain your oil. Pour the old oil into the empty one liter jugs after you have filled your engine. The now empty water jug can be thrown in the trash or burnt in the campfire. Drop off the oil at a service station.
We did 2 bikes in 20 minutes at a Texaco station ( no filter change) and gave the used oil to the El Salvador truckers ! EZ Cheezie
Old 03-15-2013, 06:58 AM   #4
furiousfart OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hektoglider View Post
Buy a gallon of water for drinking etc. then cut the side of the empty jug open and drain your oil. Pour the old oil into the empty one liter jugs after you have filled your engine. The now empty water jug can be thrown in the trash or burnt in the campfire. Drop off the oil at a service station.
We did 2 bikes in 20 minutes at a Texaco station ( no filter change) and gave the used oil to the El Salvador truckers ! EZ Cheezie
I was actually thinking this would be about the easiest way to do it. I'd be buying the water for my camelback anyways. One suggestion from a friend was to use shopping bags. I much prefer the water jug, seems much cleaner.

I tend to avoid walmart if I can though I may try asking at small service stations that I come across.
Old 03-15-2013, 02:32 PM   #5
BMW Kurt
Bluesman

Oddometer: 10,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wlfman View Post
Stop at Wal mart, buy oil and filter. Then ask the automotive service dept if you can borrow a drain pan. Change oil in parking lot, Wal mart will dispose of oil.
This is what I do when on the road except I buy a cheap oil drain pan and then give it to one of the service guys. Wal-mart has always been very accomodating. I know it is not cool to like them nowadays, but they are very practical.

Most gas stations nowadays are also convenience stores and they don't want you changing oil in their lot.
My Travel Blog
BMW Kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 03:23 PM   #6
Warin
Retired

Oddometer: 1,962
What I'd look for is a "service station" in a small town - one that has some mechanics working there .. not a "gas station" that simply sells stuff. Offer to buy the oil there if they will dispose of the old oil at the same time.
Warin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:43 PM   #7
dutchjohn
Adventure Touring

Oddometer: 289
Body bag

I have used 1 gallon heavy duty Freezer zip lock bags, pack small, can use them for just about anything, fill with oil and toss in 1st lake or stream you find!

NO I AM JUST KIDDING!!!!

change oil in wall mart parking lot and leave it in the bath room if you don't like wall mart!

NO I AM JUST KIDDING!!!!

bring it to the auto service center at wall mart or any parts store like autozone, checker, O'rielly or service station but the gallon zip locks are great for a lot of stuff, I always have a few with me, you can carry Ice to camp. water, just about anything. and the fold up small!
dutchjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 02:09 AM   #8
pne
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 723
the disposable aluminum tins for making roasts/turkeys also work and are cheap.
pne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:27 PM   #9
Hektoglider
One with Life

Oddometer: 2,536
We did an oil change last night. Without the filter it takes exactly one quart on the 250cc motor. Done deal .. We found an empty 1 gallon oil jug but washer fluid jugs are good too

20w50 is all we can find but with the hotter temps its a good viscosity
Old 03-17-2013, 08:24 AM   #10
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 3,414
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Kurt View Post
This is what I do when on the road except I buy a cheap oil drain pan and then give it to one of the service guys. Wal-mart has always been very accomodating. I know it is not cool to like them nowadays, but they are very practical.

Most gas stations nowadays are also convenience stores and they don't want you changing oil in their lot.
+1
Last year on my CC trip I did my initial oil change at an inmate's house. I had never met him but knew him through two forums. I did two at Walmarts and one at an O'Reilly's Auto parts. At the three stores I purchased a $1 pan and gave it to them with the used oil and filter. The Walmart mechanics were great and even brought out cardboard and a jack so I could swap tires.

Escape from NY- http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955520

madeouttaglass screwed with this post 03-17-2013 at 08:33 AM
madeouttaglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:38 PM   #11
Blaise W
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 667
Walmart sounds good, but you can also do it at almost any auto parts store. On the TAT that's what we did. The store almost always will have a used oil drain pan handy, and a place to dispose of the oil. Buy the oil there after inquiring if they have one handy. Some small towns don't have a Walmart, but there is almost always an auto parts store. You can stock up on chain lube, etc., at the same time.
Blaise W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:00 AM   #12
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by madeouttaglass View Post
+1
Last year on my CC trip I did my initial oil change at an inmate's house.
Many people on the Tent Space list also offer garage space for maintenance/repairs.

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:20 AM   #13
Witold
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 661
It seems like half the time I go to AutoZone, there is someone working on their car in the parking lot. I'm sure they're amicable to motorcycles as well.
Witold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:50 AM   #14
furiousfart OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Z View Post
Many people on the Tent Space list also offer garage space for maintenance/repairs.

Jamie
I was thinking that too. Thanks all for the great ideas.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:43 PM   #15
Flashmo
Whatever...

Oddometer: 2,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Z View Post

Jamie
I have had several inmates stay an extra day just to catch up on needed maintenance.

I have also helped a couple guys change tires and oil in the dark driveway so they could be back on the road in the morning.
Flashmo is offline   Reply With Quote