Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2013, 01:11 PM   #1
RxZ OP
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,824
Anyone ever taken the basic riding course...

after having already taken it in the past?

I have been riding about 5 years, and I did the BRC before getting my license and bike. Anyway, fast forward and now I find myself selling that bike of mine to one of my little brothers. He has ridden motorcycles and dirtbikes in the past, but not that often. I am making him take the BRC before I hand over the bike and title. One, I want him to have the education and experience, and 2, it is now law in Texas to take the course before getting the M endorsement.

Anyway, at the class next weekend I am not going to say a thing to my brother unless he specifically asks me. I am going to let the instructors do their job. However, having already been through the class, what should I focus on? I am wanting to take the class mainly to freshen up on the avoidance maneuvers, and hope that if I have developed any bad habits over the past few years the instructors will correct me.

Anything else you guys recommend?
Old 03-14-2013, 01:38 PM   #2
PT Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 640
Two foci...
...Smoothness
...Look through the turn and look ahead (not down) when braking.

Smooth on the clutch, smooth on the throttle, smooth on the brakes.

Turn your head and point your chin at the exit of a turn as the first thing you do to start the turn. Keep your eyes level and swivel your head around to the turn exit. When braking, keep your vision ahead, never down.

Countersteering isn't even a question, is it? Push forward on the right bar to turn right, etc.
Old 03-14-2013, 02:09 PM   #3
SxyRdr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
Strive to do a better demo ride than the RiderCoach.

Seriously though... if I have a student who already knows how to ride and can follow directions, generally I'm just giving him/her hints/tips/tricks on how to do things better. I also try to get them to be the role model for the other students. For whatever reason, it's just like kids/parents. Parent can tell the kid the sky is blue, but the kid doesn't believe it until one of their classmates/friends says "Hey, I just realized the sky is blue!"
SxyRdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:01 PM   #4
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer: 2,714
Do wheelies...........the instructors LOVE that shit!
hooliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:25 PM   #5
TeneRay
2>4

Oddometer: 1,704
I took the BRC with at least 5 years of street under my belt. I'm not ashamed to admit I learned a couple things.

From my experience, the only difference between the BRC and ERC was the BRC provided the bikes. The ERC was the same drills with your own bike. I know most BRC's you need to provide your own bike. This was in CO where there was a huge military motorcycling scene.

Highly recommended for people who never sat on a bike but wish to ride. It's a great way to take baby steps. Also lower your insurance premium a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooliken View Post
Do wheelies...........the instructors LOVE that shit!
A guy literally did a burnout at the end of the day. FAILED.
TeneRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:58 PM   #6
AzItLies
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
after having already taken it in the past?

I have been riding about 5 years, and I did the BRC before getting my license and bike. Anyway, fast forward and now I find myself selling that bike of mine to one of my little brothers. He has ridden motorcycles and dirtbikes in the past, but not that often. I am making him take the BRC before I hand over the bike and title. One, I want him to have the education and experience, and 2, it is now law in Texas to take the course before getting the M endorsement.

Anyway, at the class next weekend I am not going to say a thing to my brother unless he specifically asks me. I am going to let the instructors do their job. However, having already been through the class, what should I focus on? I am wanting to take the class mainly to freshen up on the avoidance maneuvers, and hope that if I have developed any bad habits over the past few years the instructors will correct me.

Anything else you guys recommend?
You're looking at this from a very smart perspective. While the BRC certainly does start slowly (for all the brand new riders), it does finish in some very important skills, that many riders today just blow off and never practice.

The 2 important avoidance maneuvers are emergency braking and emergency swerving. The other top skill they teach is proper cornering technique.

So focusing on those, ea time they are talked about, would be a good idea. These are the skills that could potentially keep us from crashing or at least minimizing the crash.

I always stress in my classes that these are not "innate" skills, they are learned sills. That means if we don't practice them, our ability to accomplish them will diminish over time.

Cheers
AzItLies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:19 PM   #7
Reverend12
Well there it is..

Oddometer: 1,413
Glad You are doing this, good for You, Master the skills.. Refine the skills and Practice! You will be a better rider.
Reverend12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:59 AM   #8
dino1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
My step son may need to take the class to get a motorcycle endorsement, I got mine way back in the day before a class was needed. Figured it couldn't hurt and I might learn something I didn't know and I would be helping my step son out.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:35 AM   #9
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,689
Do the instructors a huge favor. Don't argue with them. They may say a few things you don't agree with. Realize they're not really talking to you. They're talking to the people in the group who have never been on a motorcycle.

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:48 AM   #10
GI_JO_NATHAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,014
You're doing a great thing as far as your brother is concerned.
Although I would think about doing a more advanced course yourself, if there's one available.
Someone quote me so he can see my response
Quote:
Originally Posted by POLLOCK28 (XDTALK.com)
From what I understand from frequenting various forums you are handling this critisim completely wrong. You are supposed to get bent out of shape and start turning towards personal attacks. Get with the program!
GI_JO_NATHAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:59 AM   #11
RxZ OP
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
Do the instructors a huge favor. Don't argue with them. They may say a few things you don't agree with. Realize they're not really talking to you. They're talking to the people in the group who have never been on a motorcycle.
Nope, I'm not saying a word, unless asked My personal goal for the weekend is to have them watch me and pick up on bad habits I may have developed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GI_JO_NATHAN View Post
You're doing a great thing as far as your brother is concerned.
Although I would think about doing a more advanced course yourself, if there's one available.
I've done the advanced riders course as well, although it has been at least 3-4 years since that one. It was a fun glass, but essentially the same as day 2 of the basic course, but at higher speeds and on your own bike instead of the antiquated (perfect for first timers) 125 cc bikes.

I may be a little bored through the course, but I'll be on a bike! I do hope this class has standards though instead of mini-cruisers like my first time had. I had hardly been on a bike and found myself grinding away the floorboards
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:59 AM   #12
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
However, having already been through the class, what should I focus on?
Whatever the rider coach wants you to focus on during each exercise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmgf7 View Post
I'm not ashamed to admit I learned a couple things.

I know most BRC's you need to provide your own bike.
I'd say most experienced(average) riders who go into a BRC with an open mind will come away with something learned during the class. Maybe something they had forgotten, etc.
It's the folks who "know it all" who will say it was a waste of money/time.

In Virginia they wont let you use you own bike for the BRC. Some folks go out and buy a bike(usually way too tall/powerful) on impulse before they take the class rather than wait and see what they would be more comfortable on learning to ride. Can you imagine 10-12 folks on a range with new bikes that are way too big to be able to learn on safely? It wouldn't be pretty...
Had a guy this past weekend questioning his purchase of a brand new GSXR750 after riding a DR200 for two days.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:30 PM   #13
pete613
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
I had ridden dirt for about 6 years before taking the basic rider course last summer. The only reason that I took the class was because it is required if you are under the age of 18 and want to get your motorcycle license in NJ. The class helped me take my skills and apply them to street riding. The nice part about the class is that you don't have to take any tests at the DMV. It wasn't a bad class but it got a little boring for me since I knew almost all the things that they where teaching.
I have told a couple of my friends about it and now they are going to take it. It may have not been the most fun class, but if your new to riding or have been riding all your life I would highly recommend taking the basic rider course.

-Pete
Old 03-19-2013, 10:39 PM   #14
Mr_Snips
Husky BRAAAAAAAAP!

Oddometer: 352
If you already have the concept of moving on a motorcycle down do the advanced riders course...way better for the real world if you've already learned to ride.
Mr_Snips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:59 PM   #15
feldjäger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
I'm having to take this the whole weekend. The military or at least my unit has made it a requirement in order to ride a motorcycle. Guess too many guys have been getting themselves killed in the last several years. I've been riding for quite a while now, but to be honest I'm sure I'll get a few things from it.
feldjäger is offline   Reply With Quote