ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-14-2013, 04:01 PM   #1
Jacaldo OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: UK
Oddometer: 12
Wheel building

Hope this is the right forum to post this. I have recently started wheel building as a side line to my small garage business, I am still practising and have not as yet felt ready to take on paying jobs, I have done a couple for friends. This is a dying art and I am very keen to become a skilled wheel builder, my question is does anyone here know of companies or schools that run courses to anyone willing to pay. I am based in the north west of England, Merseyside, but willing to travel. Thanks
Jacaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:39 PM   #2
dogsslober
No neck tie, Ti neck
 
dogsslober's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Morgan Hill Ca
Oddometer: 810
Push bike

I started with bicycle wheels (self taught reading books) and started motorcycle later. I've only know they teach in bicycle wrench schools. Maybe here in the states at MMI
dogsslober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:39 PM   #3
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: madera california
Oddometer: 4,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacaldo View Post
Hope this is the right forum to post this. I have recently started wheel building as a side line to my small garage business, I am still practising and have not as yet felt ready to take on paying jobs, I have done a couple for friends. This is a dying art and I am very keen to become a skilled wheel builder, my question is does anyone here know of companies or schools that run courses to anyone willing to pay. I am based in the north west of England, Merseyside, but willing to travel. Thanks
i think you should just do more and you will get more and more comfy with it. plus you will be able to do it faster too. i have done about a dozen wheels for myself and it takes about 15 minutes to lace one and about 15 minutes to true it. i sit in front of the tv in my shop and do the work as im watching tv even!
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:01 AM   #4
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer
 
mcma111's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: San Francisco,Ca.
Oddometer: 11,606
Here ya go:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=785921
__________________
Steve in SF

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:49 AM   #5
Jacaldo OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: UK
Oddometer: 12
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
Excellent replies, many thanks.
Jacaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:51 AM   #6
Unstable Rider
Monday again?
 
Unstable Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Oddometer: 2,470
Pics of the process?

Do you have the hub mounted on a rotating arbor or stand at the time?
__________________
.
-“Ah, you're wasting you're time. They can't track us over rocks.
Tell them that.......... --Who are those guys?”


~Butch Cassidy
Unstable Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:52 AM   #7
jar944
Studly Adventurer
 
jar944's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Chantilly VA
Oddometer: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable Rider View Post
Pics of the process?

Do you have the hub mounted on a rotating arbor or stand at the time?
I've done it on the bike and off, never bothered to use a proper truing stand myself. I have been thinking about machining up a jig to hold the hub and rim in position for quicker truing.


jar944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:18 AM   #8
Unstable Rider
Monday again?
 
Unstable Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Oddometer: 2,470
Looks high tech to me.
__________________
.
-“Ah, you're wasting you're time. They can't track us over rocks.
Tell them that.......... --Who are those guys?”


~Butch Cassidy
Unstable Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:14 AM   #9
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Kentucky-Eastern that is!
Oddometer: 2,864
ask : www.central-wheel.co.uk I use their web page for information on rims/spokes -you need someone thats willing to share their knowledge, not a school & probably some old guy on your island that will do just that. I've done a few of my own and thing is, some are far harder to do than others! All depends on the lace pattern,number of lengths involved. The simple ones you can view YouTube & do OK. The link above states Honda rims as directional which is not always true. Careful what you read . Take pics of rims from both sides and with tape markers for indexing.
I've used a cheapo HF balance stand to spin mine so far. The steel rod is too large for a very small Honda vintage rim.
__________________
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:45 AM   #10
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer
 
mcma111's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: San Francisco,Ca.
Oddometer: 11,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
ask : www.central-wheel.co.uk

The link above states Honda rims as directional which is not always true. Careful what you read .

.

So I suppose Honda put this arrow on the rim for shitz 'n giggles

__________________
Steve in SF

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:15 PM   #11
Jacaldo OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: UK
Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
ask : www.central-wheel.co.uk I use their web page for information on rims/spokes -you need someone thats willing to share their knowledge, not a school & probably some old guy on your island that will do just that. I've done a few of my own and thing is, some are far harder to do than others! All depends on the lace pattern,number of lengths involved. The simple ones you can view YouTube & do OK. The link above states Honda rims as directional which is not always true. Careful what you read . Take pics of rims from both sides and with tape markers for indexing.
I've used a cheapo HF balance stand to spin mine so far. The steel rod is too large for a very small Honda vintage rim.
I have spoken to central wheels already, they do not have the time or staff to run courses, plus they would like to protect their business from competition, not from me but I do hope to start running this alongside my existing business.
Jacaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:36 AM   #12
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Kentucky-Eastern that is!
Oddometer: 2,864
Yes, I looked at your picture and saw the arrow. No argument please-my point was simple: that not all Honda rims have the arrow. Rims & tires can be directional but not always,end of story.
__________________
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:38 AM   #13
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Kentucky-Eastern that is!
Oddometer: 2,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacaldo View Post
I have spoken to central wheels already, they do not have the time or staff to run courses, plus they would like to protect their business from competition, not from me but I do hope to start running this alongside my existing business.
I wasn't thinking of them as the trainer, more so someone that buys from them and ready to get out of work as in older type. Web search in UK for wheel builders???
__________________
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:51 AM   #14
Jacaldo OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: UK
Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
I wasn't thinking of them as the trainer, more so someone that buys from them and ready to get out of work as in older type. Web search in UK for wheel builders???
We have lots of classic bike shows here in the UK, actually some of the biggest in Europe and I try to go to a few of them. I speak to few small business wheel builders at these shows and they all seem to be self taught, I just thought it would do no harm to get some training. My intention is to continue on my own, I'm not mechanically stupid, as I run my own small car repair business there is no reason why I should not improve and get faster with each wheel. There is a lack of skilled wheel builders around so fingers crossed work should come my way.
Jacaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:11 PM   #15
Jayrod1318
Poster
 
Jayrod1318's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Here and there and stuff.
Oddometer: 1,583
I've yet to see methods and equipment required to fix bent rims.

Lacing up a true rim is pretty easy.

The best bit of advice I've ever heard is that you cannot fix a bent rim with spokes! Starting with a true rim is paramount!
__________________
Jayrod1318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014