Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2013, 08:03 PM   #16
babarnette
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by No False Enthusiasm View Post
... and again, the world demands the WR450R, but Yamaha cannot hear the cry...

6 speed wide ratio tranny, racks, guards, 4 gallon fuel tank...

NFE
I think that would be a great bike but I would want to go with a 5-6 gallon tank. I've been thinking of getting a larger bike such as a Tiger, Ulysses, or something similar for ADV riding and a WR250R for dirt.
babarnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:15 PM   #17
comac90
Rule #76

Oddometer: 155
For 250s, I'd have to arguably vote the Yama WR250R. Bombproof motor, sub-300lbs, plenty of power for a 250 (i regularly run 80mph hiway daily commuting on mine ... Year-round in the NC mtns, too), awesome offroad, shockingly comfortable.

I went to it from a GS1200ADV ... I'll probably grab another GSADV at some point, but no way I'm giving up the WR. LOVE that bike!

T
Old 03-15-2013, 08:19 PM   #18
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,181
I was in my local dealership yesterday for a final run-through on this very question. I've got an 1150GS that I just love, an amazingly capable bike that can almost do it all....

.... except it weighs in at 550 pounds without luggage or me on it. It is a wonderful bike on almost everything but is just too damned big in some circumstances. After 50 years of riding I've decided that there isn't one bike that can do it all.

I looked at the WR450 and agree with the above - it's an amazing dirt bike but... This dealer has a full range of Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki, and KTM dirt bikes and dual sports on the floor. I love them all but after sitting on everything, checking out the subframes (or lack there-of; what's up with that, KTM?), weight vs. performance, etc. I've decided to get a WR250R. I've owned KLRs, DRs, XTs, etc. and have wanted to try the little WR for several years, so here goes. The dealer had a used KTM 350EXC with 28 miles on it (guy bought it and immediately decided he wanted the 500) that was a very good price, but it was still over $2000 more than the WR; tough decision but the money made it easier.

The WR250R will be my 45th motorcycle and I don't think it will be my last. The search for the perfect bike continues .

Doug
Old 03-15-2013, 08:26 PM   #19
full of days
Simplify or Die

Oddometer: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
Have you read any of Colebatch's ride reports? He has probably built one the best true adventure bikes around and has done some of the most extreme adventure riding I have read about. Here's a link to his latest report: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=834987

The topic of what it takes to build a good off road adventure bike is extensively discussed.

Warning: don't start reading this report unless you have nothing important to do the next few days.

BTW, one guy did start this ride on a DR650 but only lasted a few days. All of the rest of the bikes were BMW's or KTM's
Can u link to the posts that cover his bike and setup? Entirely too many posts to wade thru.
full of days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:30 PM   #20
Paebr332
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 929
Quote:

NFE
Amen.
Paebr332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 05:12 PM   #21
oldschoolsk8ter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
That's all we need, take the 450 Racer and make into into a fat pig with big tank and crappy compromises so people can go play adventure
oldschoolsk8ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 05:39 PM   #22
oldschoolsk8ter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Sorry that was a little strong

I think people need to be honest about what they actually NEED.

How technical is the off road going to get, how fast do you need to go offroad, or how far do you need to travel on road?

One bike will not be the best at all.
oldschoolsk8ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 05:44 PM   #23
rickcj7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
Quote:

NFE
That bikes been out for over 10 years now
TE610/630

WR250R sold
FE450E sold
XT, NX, KLX, KLR, DR all long gone.
rickcj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:12 PM   #24
JDK111
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by manfromthestix View Post
The WR250R will be my 45th motorcycle and I don't think it will be my last. .
Doug
WOW!! !! !!
JDK111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:24 PM   #25
RememberTheFallen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
B1,

This mean you are done with the Berg or just relegating it to shorter, off road oriented rides?

I have enjoyed watching your ride videos and youtube and having a 570 myself feel better knowing that someone else is doing the things I want to do on mine. I have realized though I may not be able to do everything on the berg.

I am leaning towards the two bike solution now. I have a Honda crf450r that I have reserved for racing and serious trail riding. I have come to realize that I suck at racing and don't enjoy it too much. The Berg does pretty much everything the Honda does but I can beat on the Honda more without feeling bad. Thinking of selling it and using that money for a bigger bike.

Really wish KTM would make a 800adv or Yamaha would make a wr450r that could possibly replace the the Berg and keep the Honda.

Seems to never be a perfect bike!
RememberTheFallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:25 PM   #26
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,993
Everybody seems to wish for "something else"....

Lately I've been riding my ATV so much for scouting & clearing trails (seems every new trail has some logs to cut...) that I'm sort of wishing for a Cristini 2wd dual sport, except I'm not so sure about the Chinese CRF450 engine. I guess I'll lurk on the Cristini threads for a while to decide.

I keep wondering if it's really a great thing why KTM or some other big maker doesn't offer a 2wd bike.
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:58 AM   #27
OrangeYZ
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
I keep wondering if it's really a great thing why KTM or some other big maker doesn't offer a 2wd bike.
Christini charges about 3500-4000 to convert an existing frame to AWD. If that was on the production line of an existing motorcycle, it would probably add 3000 to the cost. People on this board already complain about KTMs costing 13,000 and if the price went up by 3 grand, it actually would cost 13 and they'd freak out about a 16 thousand dollar bike. Hell, people freak out about the WR250R costing 6000!

What I want to know about the Christini is, if the motor is a copy of the CRF450, is it close enough that an actual CRF450X motor would be a drop in thing? Any actual motor problems could be solved pretty fast, forever.

If the answer is yes, I almost don't want to know. That might be a push I don't need...
OrangeYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:01 AM   #28
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDK111 View Post
WOW!! !! !!
Picked her up yesterday , test rode in the pouring rain, and it's still pouring right now dammmmit.

My wife thinks the rain is great because I'm supposed to be helping clean the house for a family get-together later today ; if it were nice and sunny she knows she wouldn't be getting any help. You guys understand - you can see your family any time, but how often do you get to take that maiden voyage on a new toy?? She has no sympathy, but at least she supports my addiction.

It quit raining for long enough to get this sad photo last night, unloaded her in a downpour and she's drying off in the garage. Can't wait for some sunshine!

I got the bike from another inmate, screaming deal, excellent condition, and loaded with farkles, purchased from excellent guy and only 90 miles away! Hopefully we can get together and ride; he's got a brand new KLR650 to break in.

Doug
Old 03-17-2013, 08:35 AM   #29
Oldebonz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Perfect bike?

Hasn't been made yet!Ran out of space talking about the KTM LC4.If you are in the west it is marvelous.Will cruise easily at 75-85 mph and will still go about anywhere in rocky,hilly,sandy terrain with reliability and gasoline range.BUT in the Eastern US,tight,muddy single track can be a nightmare unless you are strong,fit 6 foot or over and an excellent rider.Better stick to the jeep and logging trails.The seat height intrudes,ESPECIALLY mounting and dismounting,is the kick up rear really necessary?Biggest headache!The 450 WR Yamaha has a higher seat height but is much easier to get on and off,it is horizontal! The Kawasakis and Hondas also require a dedicated effort,the DR650 Suzuki is mercifully much easier,they do give up suspension travel and sophistication for higher speed travel in the dirt,but are more capable on road.Haven't tried the 690 KTM or Husqvarnas,can't comment on them.Don't know if "I" would want to ride the mid -sizers cross country although many happily do.I'm old and need my comfort!Bought a new 990,990R scary high,so got the std version.I'll let you all know in July.
Oldebonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:29 PM   #30
B1 OP
Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer: 3,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberTheFallen View Post
B1,
This mean you are done with the Berg or just relegating it to shorter, off road oriented rides?
I have enjoyed watching your ride videos and youtube and having a 570 myself feel better knowing that someone else is doing the things I want to do on mine. I have realized though I may not be able to do everything on the berg......
Really wish KTM would make a 800adv or Yamaha would make a wr450r that could possibly replace the the Berg and keep the Honda. Seems to never be a perfect bike!
personally the berg has been the closest i've come to the do-everything bike. e.g. yesterday we were stuck on the side of steep rutted hills wondering if we'd every get out of the forest. then the weekend before was wrapping up a 7 day 2300km adventure ride complete with camping gear with everything from gnarly stuff, easy dirt roads, to throwing the bikes around the oxley highway, possibly australia's best motorbike ride (80km of hair pins and tight corners, woohoo).

but i'm clocking up mileage on it very fast. my budget luggage and extra fuel setup (total cost $70 ) means everything is pared back to the minimum and i'm borrowing stuff off the other guys all the time. and while the geared up berg is cruising easily at 140kmh (85 mph) she is a bit twitchy at anything over 50mph... it is really designed to turn fast and not be a straight line racer.

if husaberg had kept making the 70 degree models i would have just bought another one in six months time. here's a vid i did with my highly biased opinion on the berg....