User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2013, 10:30 PM   #1
Akhenaten OP
"I wanna go fast!"

Oddometer: 12
How to get a bike upright after a fall

That's my most urgent question right now - how DO you lift your bike after a spectacular spill? Because I've been doing some very spectacular spills (noob to the trails) and I'm having a hell of a time pulling my bike (WR250R) back to an upright position.

It's getting to the point where I'm far more afraid of lifting my bike than launching off it in some unnatural manner.

It was a fun spill; I ended up flying down the ravine and landed about eight feet directly below my bike. After taking a bunch of pictures, I prepared to retrieve my bike and go on my way.

I'm not a weak woman, but I absolutely could NOT move my bike. At all. I lift heavy weights on a regular basis but after 45 minutes of struggling without moving it an inch, I realized I was pretty much screwed. A hillbilly with a big, bushy beard came rolling up and yanked the bike out and back upright with surprisingly little trouble. Thank goodness for hillbillies.

Anyway. This is the bruise I got last night. From falling? NO. Simply from LIFTING my WRR upright:

So how do you do it?? Do I need to carry a comealong and an elaborate pully system with me on every trip? Bring a hillbilly in a sidecar? Buy a winch?
Akhenaten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:43 PM   #2
r77toy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 453
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84YfDGKA4Og
r77toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:55 PM   #3
TexaNate
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 390
If you're spilling a lot, I would really recommend bringing a friend along with you whenever possible. You never know when you might have an especially bad crash and end up trapped under the bike or worse, and the hillbilly might be off duty that day!

In that pic, your WR looks like it's pointed off the side of the road down a slope. It would be really difficult to tug it by the rear wheel, especially if your feet are fighting for traction on the edge of the gravel. Depending on how steep and slippery that dropoff is, it may be worth dragging the rear down the hill so it is at the same elevation as the front, with the bike laying along the hill (already halfway to being right-way up). Then you can easily right the bike fully and ride it to get it to do the work of getting it back up the dropoff. Note you probably won't be able to touch the ground on the downhill side, so just lean on the foot that is on the uphill side and put the other foot on the peg.

It's going to vary from situation to situation but the main thing to think about is strategy over brute force - especially since after a few minutes of tugging, your muscles start to give. With a relatively light bike like a WR on a steep or slippery slope, it's going to be about knowing where to grip it more than sheer hauling force.

I can lift more than my dad but he has this "finesse" that he talks about that allows him to lift his heaviest bike in the slipperiest, steepest conditions. He also has perfect kickstart technique. Some things only come with experience.

Good luck!
Old 03-25-2013, 12:33 AM   #4
Warin
Retired

Oddometer: 1,952
Spin it ... then lift from high side ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexaNate View Post
In that pic, your WR looks like it's pointed off the side of the road down a slope. It would be really difficult to tug it by the rear wheel, especially if your feet are fighting for traction on the edge of the gravel. Depending on how steep and slippery that dropoff is, it may be worth dragging the rear down the hill
Yep. Bad situation to try and recover from.

First check the bike is in gear, and the side stand down if that side is available.
I'd be trying to spin the bike on the foot peg, thus while losing some downhill on the rear getting some uphill back on the front. Would be best if the handlebars are clear of the ground to do this, so rotate them. At the end of the spin I'd get the rear a little lower than the front so the bike is pointed a little uphill. You don't want to try starting to go directly up the hill, just across the hill to get back on the road.
Lift from the high side of the hill, get the bike seat to rest on your hip/thigh. Don't try to get it to balance point as if you go over the bike could end up a lot further down the hill with more damage. You may not even feel safe trying to get back on, just walk the bike across the hill back to the road... not great globs of power just a little .. no wheel spins .. just roll.

Probably best if you sit and think about it .. rather than rush in with the adrenaline? Same with any problem.

At least it is not loaded up with camping gear, nor a fully flared tourer, nor on a really slippery muddy surface. I managed to find a small dead tree on the ground to use as a leaver to get the bike back upright there... feet would simply slip out otherwise.

====================
You do need to stop having frequent spills ... what occurred to make this one happen? The marks on the ground suggest too much power .. wheelie and over to the left? Try to keep the learning stuff to flat soft ground... much easier to learn on.

Saying ....... Less haste = more speed.

Warin screwed with this post 03-25-2013 at 01:31 AM
Warin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:23 AM   #5
nuttynu
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 935
Wink

Only a 2fiddy .! Should be so hard to stand her up

nuttynu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:58 AM   #6
Aj Mick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 585
Less is more fun

If you ride off road, expect an off every now and a gain. On the road it can happen too; frequently for some it seems, rarely for others.

Either way, get a bike that is light enough to pick up easily. Chances are that you will find it more fun to ride than a heavyweight, to boot.

I gather that in Japan a rider has to be able to demonstrate that they can pick up a bike before they are allowed to own it..... it makes sense.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:36 AM   #7
cb1313
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Picking up your bike

Youtube "picking up you motorcycle" I drop my 900 lbs Yamaha venture last fall and blew out my back, 3 weeks in bed. Then starting checking Youtube.

Cb
cb1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:07 AM   #8
390beretta
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,134
I've never seen a video of what you do if the bike is down on the kickstand side, nor what to do if it's down on an incline. Luckily, I'm big enough and usually so embarrassed/angry that the adrenalin allows me to pick it up using brute strength.
390beretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:42 AM   #9
epicxcrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by 390beretta View Post
so embarrassed/angry that the adrenalin allows me to pick it up using brute strength.

^^^^^ This!
epicxcrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:53 AM   #10
ozmoses
Ride On

Oddometer: 3,074
What happened there? Donut gone awry?
Old 03-25-2013, 08:04 AM   #11
GrouchyGeezer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 745
The slippery slope, literally.

The easiest place to pick up a bike is on flat and level ground. The more uneven and unlevel the surface, the harder it gets. If you are riding off-road, it helps to have someone with you. The rougher the terrain, the more people. If you don't have people to ride with, do your utmost to limit your risks. Avoid going where a fall is likely e.g. rough trails, steep hills, deep mud, sand dunes, etc. When in doubt, don't go or go slow and cautious. Constantly assess your situation and act accordingly.
As your skill level increases, you will fall less and get more daring. What that means is as you get better you may find yourself in even worse situations.
It's a learning process, most of us have gone through it. Have fun and good luck!

GrouchyGeezer screwed with this post 03-25-2013 at 08:12 AM
GrouchyGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:08 AM   #12
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
If need be on a slope, drag it to get it into position with the tires lower than the seat/bars. You don't have to lift it just as it fell.

Before I got sick, I routinely rode alone on technical rocky enduro trails on a DRZ-400S which is heavier than your 250. (I used to be VP of an enduro-oriented club.) I crashed all the time. I have even flipped my DRZ over (tires over seat) onto firmer ground when it was caught in "suction mud". More than once.

That thing about putting your back against the bike often won't work on a narrow dirt bike, it lays too flat. The famous video of a small woman lifting a large BMW uses a boxer twin with hard side bags, on a concrete floor, with towels under the heads and bags. The bike is already nearly half way up when she starts to lift. Try that on a dirt bike laying flat and all you'll do is push it sideways along the ground.

Get the bike in a favorable position, lift with your legs as much as possible (but they bike may be so low that you HAVE TO bend over somewhat). Get a grip and go for it. Grab it as high up as you can, better leverage. A dirt-oriented 250 should be routnely liftable by an adult male. A small female, not so much. My wife has trouble lifting her TTR225 but she only weighs in the 105-110 range so relatively speaking it's like me lifting my 990. Which I have trouble doing by myself if it's anything less than flat with a good spot to stand.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:37 AM   #13
sandwash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,318
In this case I grab the handle bar and bring it up.370 lb bike is stuff.

In you pic,you did the right thing to try to get the rear tire around.It can be rough cause there can be so much stuff to get snagged on.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:48 PM   #14
DirtReeper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 508
For those situation where KlaiRe could possibly end in a ravie/ wash/ gully/ whateverthehellyoucallthemwhereyoulive, I made a nice litte block and tackle set out of stainless/ brass dual wheel pulleys, couple of high test rated spring closure hooks (think whats on the end of a winch), and about 60' of 550 cord. whole thing weighs about 1.5-2 lbs. pain in the ass is getting the 550 cord wrapped back up. havent had a chance to useit yet, hope I don't either.
DirtReeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:01 PM   #15
RBnite
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
That little girl picked up a fairly large MC for her size. Like all of our skills we need for our sport, this must be one of them.

I dumped my KLR on a concrete low water crossing covered in algae. NO traction for my feet, so I had to drag it to the end and pick it up then. Not pretty but I was alone!

That is the other point, try not to go it alone , if possible.

RB
RBnite is offline   Reply With Quote