ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2013, 06:37 PM   #1
krumgrinder OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
Another n00b... just picked up my '11 990!

Hey all, just throwing in since I'm now an official KTM owner. Been running a 1st gen '02 Connie ragged for the last ten years; also been (gradually) thinking I need more dirt/gravel/backwoods in my life. Fell in love with a non-current model year, but new, 2011 Adventure on sale at the local dealer and immediately began scheming acquisition plans; now she's mine and I find myself a rank newbie in the ADV world. I'm no stranger to groups/forums and such as a card-carrying COG'er, and have also lurked here on/off since joining this forum several years back, but only now feel like it's time to step out of the shadows. Thanks in advance for all the accumulated knowledge here, and hope I can contribute at some point in the future when I know my ass from a hole in the ground.
krumgrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:33 AM   #2
jameslawson
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Congratulations & Welcome

Hey great choice I bought a hardly used '11 990R back in Feb. and i'm loving it.

Do the side stand mod and just ride the hell out of it. Get used to it completely before being sidetracked with mods & farkles.

You'll find friendly people here ready to help you out. Google search the site read as much as you can and of course theres the HOW.

Good Luck & Ride Safe

James
jameslawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:50 AM   #3
kaptinkaos
Just some nOOb

Oddometer: 573
Congrats!!! Welcome to the OC, Make sure you read Pyndon's thread and the cruise the HOW and you'll be plenty knowledgeable in no time at all. The OC is a vast wealth of knowledge for all of us. Also hit up the Thread Index and Links.

Cheers!
'07 F650GS Dakar (Gone to a good home!)

kaptinkaos screwed with this post 06-25-2013 at 01:56 AM
kaptinkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:07 AM   #4
krumgrinder OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameslawson View Post
Hey great choice I bought a hardly used '11 990R back in Feb. and i'm loving it.

Do the side stand mod and just ride the hell out of it. Get used to it completely before being sidetracked with mods & farkles.

You'll find friendly people here ready to help you out. Google search the site read as much as you can and of course theres the HOW.

Good Luck & Ride Safe

James
Thanks James, good advice- the same I've been giving to new Connie guys for years! Amazing how a new bike re-ignites the dormant farkleitis, though, eh? Was wondering about that sidestand mod, I'll read up on it and get it done. Enjoy doing as much of my own wrenching as I can, so it will be a good start.

Steve
Old 06-25-2013, 09:28 AM   #5
krumgrinder OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptinkaos View Post
Congrats!!! Welcome to the OC, Make sure you read Pyndon's thread and the cruise the HOW and you'll be plenty knowledgeable in no time at all. The OC is a vast wealth of knowledge for all of us. Also hit up the Thread Index and Links.

Cheers!
Muchos gracias Kapt! Appreciate the welcome and recommended reading suggestions- I've also been reading through your thread on your Baja build-up as well (verrrrry cool), mining it for ideas. I'm an IT guy, so I am a firm believer in search tool usage, and also a Google-ecosystem inhabitant- so I promise to all to try not to be too big of a PITA.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:15 PM   #6
kaptinkaos
Just some nOOb

Oddometer: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by krumgrinder View Post
Muchos gracias Kapt! Appreciate the welcome and recommended reading suggestions- I've also been reading through your thread on your Baja build-up as well (verrrrry cool), mining it for ideas. I'm an IT guy, so I am a firm believer in search tool usage, and also a Google-ecosystem inhabitant- so I promise to all to try not to be too big of a PITA.
Fire away in a PM if you have any questions. If I can help, I will!
'07 F650GS Dakar (Gone to a good home!)
kaptinkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:35 AM   #7
Altego
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameslawson View Post

James
This is the most useful advice you will get. The bike needs very little in stock form and loves to be ridden. Enjoy
Old 06-27-2013, 11:32 AM   #8
krumgrinder OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTN roads View Post
This is the most useful advice you will get. The bike needs very little in stock form and loves to be ridden. Enjoy
Agreed, and thanks! I only got to ride her one day before leaving town for work last week, so now that I'm back I'm totally amped to get some miles on her now. With that said, I did have to do some basic farkleization to get her equipped to what I'm used to-
  • I had worked a deal with the dealer for a set of the orange crash bars for half price as part of the bike purchase, but he had to order them; just picked those up today.
  • Also picked up a set of the KTM aluminum boxes (black) used from travelsomewhere in the FM for a great price- wanted these as I am totally used to my Connie's bags, and I'll need them for the touring/camping/fishing I intend to do.
  • Along those same lines, I ordered a bigger rack from BDCW and some RAM mounts for my GPS and Jensen through Amazon, but that's going to do it for the moment. I'll prob do the sidestand relocation mod in July, as I've kind of shot the wad for the moment...