Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2013, 08:54 PM   #16
kwb377
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
My experience with my '02 K1200LT is why I'll never own another BMW.
~ IBA #55309
'11 Ninja 1K
'04 200 EXC
'82 GS650G
kwb377 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:54 PM   #17
natez1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
What no one mentioned Harley yet? Cheapest bike to maintain has been my Evo powered glide, oil, tires, oil, tires, oil, tires, brakes. Maintenance can be done in a afternoon with a couple beers thrown in, dead easy to work on too.Granted I did do a top-end with a cam change at 70,000 but not because it needed it, I was bored during winter and had other bikes to ride.chicks dig them too! I almost thought about "upgrading" to a twin-cam but what the hell the evo runs to good and I would take it across the US in a heart beat.

p.s. you can put LOONG lasting tires on it too!! and NO valve adjustments

natez1 screwed with this post 03-15-2013 at 08:56 PM Reason: PS
natez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:58 PM   #18
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by natez1 View Post
What no one mentioned Harley yet? Cheapest bike to maintain has been my Evo powered glide, oil, tires, oil, tires, oil, tires, brakes. Maintenance can be done in a afternoon with a couple beers thrown in, dead easy to work on too.Granted I did do a top-end with a cam change at 70,000 but not because it needed it, I was bored during winter and had other bikes to ride.chicks dig them too! I almost thought about "upgrading" to a twin-cam but what the hell the evo runs to good and I would take it across the US in a heart beat.

p.s. you can put LOONG lasting tires on it too!! and NO valve adjustments
But he said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHaz01 View Post
I don't have a facility or the time to do most of the work myself
Yes, HD's are cheap and easy for do it yourselfers to change oil, etc.

If you take one to a dealer for oil, tires, brakes, they are expensive like every other brand.

But I agree, get something with hydraulic lifters and touring-type tires and it will reduce the $$$ outlay.
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:46 PM   #19
Cakeeater
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 871
Quote:
I'm going to have service work done on my BMW K1200LT this Spring. I don't have a facility or the time to do most of the work myself so I'm looking at a prety big bill for work done by the BMW dealer.

I don't understand why it costs more to buy, mount and balance two tires on my Beemer than it does for four tires on my car, and the car tires last six times more miles.

I don't understand why replacing the front and rear suspension costs twice as much as a set of fout top-quality shocks/struts for my car.

In short, I'm getting really sick of the costs to maintain my Beemer.

I ride mostly two-up and take long trips, sometimes longer than 10,000 miles. I need a good, comfortable bike for us, and one the has reduced maintenance costs. And I don't want to break the bank buying it.

What say you, panel of experts? Which bikes are worth testing with the criteria above in mind?
A 20 grand HD might break your bank....but, here's my maintenance costs in 22,000 miles and two seasons:

One new back tire done at the dealer (22,000 miles) about 280 bucks.
One tightened steering head bearing: about 250 bucks if I recall.

Maybe four oil changes, amsoil, all DIY. (if you can pick your nose, you can change the oil on a Harley). Total about 250 bucks.

That's it. So about 800 bucks for 22,000 miles, and that should set me fine for another six to eight thousand miles.

Front tire still good til 30,000.

No other issues. Brakes fine.

Cakeeater.
Cakeeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:25 PM   #20
ArmSC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Check out HD...street glide, road glide, electra glide...whatever floats your boat. Service is totally doable if you can turn a wrench. If you dont like the moco look at the metric tourers. Kawi nomads, vaqueros and connies would fit the bill. Yamaha fjr/ royal star or a honda st1300/goldwing would be good to. Dl1000 strom adventure would probably be a cheaper way to go. It depends on what type of bike you are looking for. Normally you pay for long distance comfort but this is no surprise. Depending on your area the used market should be a pretty good for certain models.

"Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens."
ArmSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 02:51 AM   #21
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,669
FJR1300
As maintenance free and inexpensive to run as a (big) bike can get.

mousitsas screwed with this post 03-16-2013 at 03:36 AM
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:56 AM   #22
dddd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 402
I am touring on a ninja 650r - 60000 mile in 3 years. So you can tour on a lot more than the models that claim to be in that category. All I can say is that if your knees can take it, that is a good enough cheap enough common enough machine, but I guess you are looking for a driving shaft one... That would be fair.

As for tires, if you are not doing at least 10000miles with them, you have the wrong tires gum for touring, or you do but don't put enough PSI in them. (I use pilot road 2, with 36/39 psi instead of the manuf. 32/36 psi; of course that means less warm and less grip, so go easy on the leaning)

dddd screwed with this post 03-16-2013 at 05:02 AM
dddd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 05:45 AM   #23
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,633
Goldwing is the bike that best fits your requirements. Very car like.
hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:01 AM   #24
shinyblackdeer
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Would you considered hauling your BMW to Ned's Auto & Cycle in Riverside, IA? He has an awesome reputation for service. No longer a dealer for BMW and Motoguzzi, he refuses to succumb to the requirements imposed on big dealers: fancy showroom with racks of overpriced branded clothing and accessories. His shop is a hole in the wall, but it's a real treat to experience a true master.
shinyblackdeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:38 AM   #25
rider33
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 972
Quote:
The ST1300 is a sweet bike, from what I've read. Anyone doing long two-up rides on it? And by "long" I mean >5,000 miles.
My ST was purchased for long-distance travel, 12 of those 18,000 miles was on a single trip last summer. The 7.7 gallon tank comes in very handy out west. That said, if I were doing mostly two-up I'd likely be looking at the Wing. If you have her sit on one you are done for, 'very comfortable passenger seat. I, however, fly solo most of the time as the furthest my wife will travel by bike is about 50 miles. Given that, I prefer the more sporting stance of the ST.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:42 AM   #26
MHaz01 OP
I Used To Be Faster

Oddometer: 207
More excellent ideas, thanks.

My BMW dealer was a family-owned business when I bought my LT. I could walk in and have a cup of coffee with the owner or one of his employees. The service manager would look at the list of things that were involved with periodic maintenance and cross off about half of them and say "your bike really doesn't need all this." Service prices were reasonable.

The dealership was sold to a couple of guys who own multiple car dealerships. They invested heavily in a huge new facility with all that goes with it. Now the floor is patrolled by a SWAT team of sales guys and the service writers must be paid on commission. The attitude now is "not only does your bike need all of the things on the list, we recommend the extra stuff on this other list."

I threw an absolute fit last fall when they tried to extort $200 for an oil change (engine, trans and fd).

You get the picture.

Anyhow, the ST and FJR sound like possibilities, depending on how comfortable my wife is one either. She'd have to lean back against a topcase, so that could be an issue. We demo'd the CCT and Vision last fall. I really liked both, but she thought there was too much buzzing transmitted through the passenger foot boards for her to be comfortable.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:53 AM   #27
sleazy rider
Squidly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,888
Test ride the two Hondas mentioned. Take your checkbook. One will be going home with you. Having ridden both, I prefer the ST, but have owned a few Wings too.
--Tom IBA #41627
Blog
sleazy rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:08 AM   #28
Royal Tiger
Pz VI B, Sd Kfz 182

Oddometer: 1,396
I prefer sport tourers to be at most 525lbs or there abouts. I've owned a Ducati ST3 as well as my current BMW R1200ST and ridden many others. The Honda ST1300 is over 200lbs heavier. Yuck. It did nothing for me. As far as maintence costs, if you can't work on an air cooled boxer you can't do anything yourself. All dealers are about the same.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:28 AM   #29
The other Ferret
Motorcycle nut

Oddometer: 269
Another ST 1300 owner here. I 've got over 30,000 on mine. Due to the excessive body work, any work one at the dealership is excesively expensive as well. Luckily it does't require much. We live in Ohio and have ridden ours two up to Maine, the BRP and the Carolinas and last year the Pacific Northwest. Yes, it heavy ( not near as heavy as a Wing or HD dresser though) and stable, gets close to 50 mpg, and is relaible as Hondas tend to be.

Dealers get about $100 an hour. I make about $20 an hour, so I have to work 5 hours for every hour of work hey do on my bike..uggggg. I do oil changes, fd oil, and remove wheels for tire replacements, but anything more complicated than that I have to suck i up and pay. Not a cheap hobby motorcycling.

Last year on Going to the Sun Highway in Glacier Montana

The other Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:46 AM   #30
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post
Nothing is cheap to maintain when you're paying a dealer to do everything.

I hear ya (and you are the expert here on the Guzzi angle) but even when I priced up service costs between BMW and Guzzi main dealers, MG were coming out 50-60% cheaper.

edit: except the F800 series, but the OP is talking about 2up.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote