Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2013, 02:00 AM   #46
riderjohn
Tag Sniper

Oddometer: 1,580
I have a 2005 Yamaha Royal Star Midnight Venture.I love it.It has a 1300cc V-4.It has plenty of power and is very comfortable.I've put 13,000 miles on it in 9 months.This model was introduced in 1999 and is basically unchanged since then.You can find a low mileage older one that has been taken care of and pick it up for 1/3 the cost of a new one.Of course,being an older design means you get carbs instead of fuel injection and a cassette player instead of a CD player.It has all the other touring goodies:cruise,CB,intercom,AM/FM radio with MP3 input,hard bags,trunk,etc.Maintenance has consisted of oil changes,tires and a valve check.I,fortunately,have a friend with a garage and know how that helps me with tire changes and the valve check so that saves me money.The valve check interval is 26,600 miles so that doesn't come up often.It is a great machine and clean used ones are fairly cheap.
Old 03-17-2013, 02:31 AM   #47
manban9888
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by riderjohn View Post
I have a 2005 Yamaha Royal Star Midnight Venture.I love it.It has a 1300cc V-4.It has plenty of power and is very comfortable.I've put 13,000 miles on it in 9 months.This model was introduced in 1999 and is basically unchanged since then.You can find a low mileage older one that has been taken care of and pick it up for 1/3 the cost of a new one.Of course,being an older design means you get carbs instead of fuel injection and a cassette player instead of a CD player.It has all the other touring goodies:cruise,CB,intercom,AM/FM radio with MP3 input,hard bags,trunk,etc.Maintenance has consisted of oil changes,tires and a valve check.I,fortunately,have a friend with a garage and know how that helps me with tire changes and the valve check so that saves me money.The valve check interval is 26,600 miles so that doesn't come up often.It is a great machine and clean used ones are fairly cheap.
I agree. I rode a friend's and didn't think a 1300 could have the power this bike had. Could easily ride 2 up all day long and comfortable as hell
manban9888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:15 AM   #48
BalancePoint
Mucker

Oddometer: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by rider33 View Post
My ST was purchased for long-distance travel, 12 of those 18,000 miles was on a single trip last summer. The 7.7 gallon tank comes in very handy out west. That said, if I were doing mostly two-up I'd likely be looking at the Wing. If you have her sit on one you are done for, 'very comfortable passenger seat. I, however, fly solo most of the time as the furthest my wife will travel by bike is about 50 miles. Given that, I prefer the more sporting stance of the ST.
This sums it up perfectly. I'd add that whether it's a Honda ST, Yamaha FJR, or Kawi C14, you'd be very happy if mainly one-up. For two-up most often, I don't think there's an alternative to the Gold Wing.
BalancePoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:22 AM   #49
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer: 22,566
My ex thinks so highly about the ST11, she has owned three. The first one was destroyed in a crash, the second is her daily ride and the third is a Canadastani import she got an amazing deal on (it'll cost less for the bike, import fees and bits to fix it up than an ST11 with similar miles in good condition would). I understand the ST13 is a bit nicer and has a bit more power, if it eats miles half as well as the 11, you'd be well ahead.
Twilight Error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:35 AM   #50
2000RSV
Go Fast, Go Long

Oddometer: 2,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by riderjohn View Post
+1 on the Venture. Have 105k miles on mine and needed tires, oil, and gas (and brakes, a clutch, and other maintenance items). There is a very strong owners group in WI with all the special tools (shim kits, carb sync, etc.), garage space, and a willingness to help out. Easy bike to wrench on, bullet proof engine, and comfy for long miles - 1 up or 2 up.
2000RSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:48 AM   #51
squirrelnator
Mystical Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
Honda ST1300

I have put 78,000 miles on my 2005 Honda ST1300 and it has not needed any repair except for the replacement of the thermostat early on. It has not even required a valve adjustment. Just tires, a battery, brake pads and fluid changes. I am still running the original light bulbs for example.

It is as smooth and tight as the day I got it. Rock solid, fast and never a worry about reliability. It is comfortable solo or with my wife on board. I expect this bike to easily go 150,000 miles without any drama. I repainted it (white) this summer and it truly looks and rides like new.

I do all of the maintenance myself. The plastic can all be removed for most any service in less than 10 minutes after you have done it once or twice.

In general, to save money on maintenance on any bike, I suggest to buy a shop manual for your bike a few basic (metric) tools and try some of the simple things yourself. Oil changes, brakes, and even tires are easy enough to do if you take your time. Once you have done those things a few times, fork seals, bearings ect are not too much of a leap.

Best of luck on choosing your next ride, and maybe the ST1300 is not for you, but I have been very happy with it and encourage you go check it out.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:12 AM   #52
DOGSROOT
OUTSIDE

Oddometer: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrelnator View Post

I do all of the maintenance myself. The plastic can all be removed for most any service in less than 10 minutes after you have done it once or twice.

In general, to save money on maintenance on any bike, I suggest to buy a shop manual for your bike a few basic (metric) tools and try some of the simple things yourself. Oil changes, brakes, and even tires are easy enough to do if you take your time. Once you have done those things a few times, fork seals, bearings ect are not too much of a leap.

This here's excellent advice!

In addition, DO NOT go to a dealership; therin lies your problem.

Find a competent independant; it's cheaper, friendlier, and they will actively help you save $$$.

Also, you can remove the fairings yourself, and save circa $100 from having a mechanic do it.

It's folly to pay an expert to do monkeywork.

Do you dislike the bike, or just the fact that you're using the most expensive maintenance option possible?

This drug won't cure you...but it will put your symptoms to shame
DOGSROOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:22 AM   #53
cycleman2
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 514
I've owned Goldwings ( older models ), BMW R1100R, and currently ride a 08 HD Heritage Softail. There is a story behind the Softail, in that my wife and I tried out a GL1800 and the softail on the same day, one ride after another with the same windy conditions. She liked the Softail better, so that's what we ended up with. We haven't regretted it and it has proven to be a great all around bike. Who would have thought it. Comfortable for 400+ mile days, stable as a rock in high side winds ( common in this part of the country). I've changed the seat, added a batwing fairing, hard bags & a trunk ( for touring ), but the stock windshield & leather bags are also fine, just I wanted to build the softail into a dresser. Looks really good in this style and you'll never see another like it. The bike is very easy to handle and once you've learned its short comings ( poor lean angles ) it is fun to ride. I used this bike on an Advanced Rider Course and learned how to get the most out of the bike in the twisties. Always puts a smile on my face.

Last year I put 14000 miles on the bike, and I do all the maintenance myself. They are very easy to work on and just required the usual oil changes, lube cables, tires, rear brake pads etc. Both the wing & the BMW where also easy to work on ( for me ) and the BMW was more maintenance intensive than the other 2, with the HD being the easiest as it has hydraulic lifters and maintenance mostly consists of oil changes & tires.

There are a lot of bikes out there that will fit your requirements and at least in North America the 2 main brands that have good dealer support are the Honda & the Harley. Should you need that. Try out some different types.

If you can teach or learn to do the bulk of the routine maintenance items on whatever bike your ride, then you are going to be further ahead. In this day and age everybody builds a good product, fine one that fits your needs/wallet and go for it.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:09 AM   #54
Ponies ate my Bagel
Bisexual Bandit

Oddometer: 1,872
Stealerships suck for maintenance. Find a good local moto mechanic and give him your business. My guy does tires for $15 if you just bring him the wheel, $35 if you just give him the bike. I can go through 3 sets of tires on a bike before it costs what my truck tires cost. Find a good shop, meet with the head mechanic or owner and chat with them for a few minutes. You'll know pretty fast if they're who you want working on your bike. I tried 5 different places before I found my guy, he's the only one I'd trust my bike and my safety to.
DRZ400SM with SM/DS wheelsets Sold
2002 Honda VFR Interceptor Went Kablooey!
Ponies ate my Bagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 03:23 PM   #55
jposttx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Vtx anyone?

Bought a used vtx1800 for $6000 with 13,000 miles on it
It's a cruiser but comfortable as hell and set up now as a touring beast
Very long legs loads of power and pretty cheap
Imagine I will easily go 50 k on this - wife loves the comfort
Almost went with a wing - but this sounds and feels more like riding a bike to me
Can imagine going wing in 10 years or so though - then I will be able to afford one of those 2014 with 50k on it
I have been elsewhere but nowhere else is Texas - I cannot save - Jesus is the Savior I cannot solve or even understand most problems - God solves all problems I can serve so I will - paraphrased rom Mark Driscoll
jposttx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:30 PM   #56
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 5,368
No Connie love?
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:45 PM   #57
Zanotti
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianK View Post
If Harley goes to water cooling, they'll lose a goodly proportion of their "installed base." IMHO, of course.
Were are they going to go? They do not accept any alternative, so I suspect after some grousing , they will all return!
Old 03-17-2013, 04:59 PM   #58
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,968
I have seen plans for a watercooled Harley engine. It was so well disguised you had to look really hard to find it. They did a much better job hiding it than most Japanese bikes. But again, why should Harley or any other manufacturer have to use liquid cooling? Something is just not right somewhere. A certain gvt agency needs to go out of business, or everybody will wind up riding electric motorcycles.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:00 PM   #59
damurph
Cold Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,406
I have some BMW experience and i do my own maintenance/repairs. If the repair is beyond my capabilities i take the assembly off the bike and bring it to the dealer to save money. Parts are atrociously priced but i swallow the lump as need be.
Honda made a great touring machine in the 90s. The PC800 and couldn't sell it. Low maintenance, cheap on fuel and good wind weather protection but it made too much sense for the North American market.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:45 PM   #60
Randn
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Kawasiki Concours 14

I've been around the US several of times starting in Houston Tx, and have nothing but good to say about this bike!! You will want to add a trunk with back rest for 2 up and handle bar risers to take the strain off your elbows but an all around great bike!!