Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2013, 07:07 AM   #16
wiswoodsguy
Kmart shopper

Oddometer: 1,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by jar944 View Post
It wasnt your wife. If it was, the 637cc sidecar MX RFS motors would have died very quick deaths.
Stock tranny's ????

Most likely not
wiswoodsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:40 AM   #17
VidoSeaver OP
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cross-country View Post
Why not adapt your trailer to accept a modern KTM wheel, then you could switch out for different gearing, a fresher tire (assuming tire wear is slower on the trailer than on the drive tire), and in case of a flat (I'm guessing that riding out with the flat on the trailer is easier than with the flat on bike..?). Good luck on the trip, sounds like a blast!

Yup thats what I'm doing, I order a 640 kush wheel which will be my running one and that's going to have a mitas e-07 on it. I also purchased those super lite wheel locks to balance it with. Then stock rear wheel is going to be on the trailer as a back up and have dunlop 606 for when I want to lose the trailer and get really rowdy. Not sure what I'm going to do for gearing yet. It comes stock with 14 48 so I'll try that out a bit then take it from there. Once I know what I want I'll order some dirt tricks sprockets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idle View Post
What about a left hand brake for the trailer? Wouldn't be too big of a deal to pull it off the bars and leave it connected. You could mount clips to the frame (the kind that are on the swingarm) to keep it orderly when attached.

It would be pretty tough to get two foot brakes safely working in sync. Good luck with that.

Congrats on the new bike..
Before I dive into the trailer brake thing I think I'm going to ride with it a bunch and see if I even need it. Just waiting on the kush rear wheel so I can get it on the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiswoodsguy View Post
Motor might make the journey, but the tranny is gonna shit out pulling that trailer - even with a kush hub.

Plus Id for sure have an extra large additional oil reservoir + cooling fan

Not that you didnt do a beautiful job in the construction/thought process of your trailer - looks pretty cool I must say

IMHO - buy a 690 and dont worry about what you've read. Ive had great luck with my 09. People love to glom onto a problem and exploit the crap out of it. Plus the 690 is built with longer maintenance intervals, trans built for road use, fuel injection for altitude changes, and a far better manners for trip of this magnitude. As read prior, there are several 690's that have made it around the globe = wayyyyyyy better choice

I do love my 520 - just that I would never even consider it for something like this - Just sayin
Thats the first I've ever heard of a RFS tranny blowing. Ever. Maybe it was bad luck?

The 690 is an incredibly sexy bike and I was pretty much sold on it but for the amount of money of one new I can make a way cooler RFS adventure and it will be totally customized to my needs. Plus I know the RFS platform and am comfortable working on it on the side of the trail. I already bought the 525 so I'm committed at this point.

As far as cooling goes I totally agree, heat is the enemy of engines. I've ordered over sized radiators, SXS upgraded water pump, HT racing oil cooler and it already came with the fan. I'll be running engine ice as well. I don't know what else I can do to keep the heat down except go really really really fast .
Old 03-29-2013, 11:39 AM   #18
wiswoodsguy
Kmart shopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by VidoSeaver View Post
Yup thats what I'm doing, I order a 640 kush wheel which will be my running one and that's going to have a mitas e-07 on it. I also purchased those super lite wheel locks to balance it with. Then stock rear wheel is going to be on the trailer as a back up and have dunlop 606 for when I want to lose the trailer and get really rowdy. Not sure what I'm going to do for gearing yet. It comes stock with 14 48 so I'll try that out a bit then take it from there. Once I know what I want I'll order some dirt tricks sprockets.

Before I dive into the trailer brake thing I think I'm going to ride with it a bunch and see if I even need it. Just waiting on the kush rear wheel so I can get it on the road.

Thats the first I've ever heard of a RFS tranny blowing. Ever. Maybe it was bad luck?

The 690 is an incredibly sexy bike and I was pretty much sold on it but for the amount of money of one new I can make a way cooler RFS adventure and it will be totally customized to my needs. Plus I know the RFS platform and am comfortable working on it on the side of the trail. I already bought the 525 so I'm committed at this point.

As far as cooling goes I totally agree, heat is the enemy of engines. I've ordered over sized radiators, SXS upgraded water pump, HT racing oil cooler and it already came with the fan. I'll be running engine ice as well. I don't know what else I can do to keep the heat down except go really really really fast .
KTMtalk has the RFS tranny horror stories

I was a skeptic till mine went south. It was mainly the easy starts to get the bike moving forward with both of us on there. A few of those and I could feel something going on. Im about 180ish and she is near 100 - so it wasnt the weight - clearly there are +250lb riders that are wayyy abusive to the bike than we were

Hopefully it was just my bike and yours holds up fine. Just wanted to bring it to your attention
Old 03-29-2013, 12:22 PM   #19
jar944
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiswoodsguy View Post
Stock tranny's ????

Most likely not
lol there are no aftermarket transmissions, and yes according to GWR they are good to about 75hp in side hacks.
jar944 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:04 PM   #20
wiswoodsguy
Kmart shopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar944 View Post
lol there are no aftermarket transmissions, and yes according to GWR they are good to about 75hp in side hacks.
meant upgraded internals (bearings, gears, etc)

But if you say so then it must be You did the homework