User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2013, 08:55 PM   #1
TUCKERS OP
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,456
Jesse pannier experience/woes/stories?

Just got two used 1200GS's both with Jesse sides.

On and off was quite difficult compared to Touratech and Happy Trails (I've had both).

Did a three day easy 700 mile trip. In the last 12 miles from home the right side Jesse came off (we didn't know). BUT a guy behind in our group saw it in traffic lanes. We went the 12 miles home, saw there was no bag, got a call and went right back to the exact location. It was GONE! Full of the usual stuff, laptop, camera, dirty clothes, Cyclepump, some tools, toiletry bag, shoes.

I'm pretty sure I put it on correctly, I'm no dummy and quite adept. Plus it was on and untouched for 700 miles. I know I put the bottom on the rail, I know I tightened up the central doo hickey and locked the whatsit.

Is it possible they come loose? This is the later version @2008 with the one central tightener.
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:12 PM   #2
GS Addict
Pepperfool

Oddometer: 3,507
Nothing worse than that first moment you realize what has happened.
My sincerest condolences, I feel for you.
Maybe a good sam will call you if you had some info in the pannier.
I am being positive.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:43 PM   #3
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,703
I had them on my 1200GSA OEM racks. They were kind of a hassle to put on and take off. I dented them up pretty good offroading that probably would've crushed my OEM BMW adv panniers and broken my windshield. I sold them and bought Globescout panniers for the added volume and better looks.
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:09 PM   #4
TUCKERS OP
the famous james

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS Addict View Post
Nothing worse than that first moment you realize what has happened.
My sincerest condolences, I feel for you.
Maybe a good sam will call you if you had some info in the pannier.
I am being positive.
Oh yeah, info in the pannier all right. I had my personal address/note book I've had for 14 years! LOTS of info in there. Plus I had a sticker on the notebook with my name and address on and phone number and even a reward offered if found! Also in there was my mini laptop with password security. BUT...all my passwords (except laptop one) are in the notebook! Secretly entered but it wouldn't take a genius to figure it out if they tumbled on it. I changed eight passwords as soon as I got home.
Yup, sure was a shock. Colleen and I had switched bikes and she rides behind me. So when we pulled up in front of our garage I got off and took off my jacket and helmet and then.......!!!!!!!!!!! I looked at my bike that she was riding and said "hey where's side the bag!" I looked on the ground and then I thought, SHIT. No way she's taken it off in half a minute.
We jumped in the car within minutes and retraced our path. Then got a phone call after 60 miles of retracing....that our buddy had seen it in the roadway!!!but didn't stop!!! What! he told us exactly where it was...12 miles from our house. So we went there and I searched more than thoroughly, of course he said it was in the traffic lane, so someone picked it up. Why he didn't stop we have no idea and he has no explanation. it was an easy stop. We went back and parked our car off the ramp and I walked across the two lanes a half dozen times with no traffic in sight (it's spotty).
I'm not worried, not my style, but I am perplexed....oh well.
I've had some rotten luck lately, and the $$$$ are killing me. It will pass and all will be fine.

TUCKERS screwed with this post 03-13-2013 at 11:15 PM
Old 03-13-2013, 11:23 PM   #5
TUCKERS OP
the famous james

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikertrash View Post
I had them on my 1200GSA OEM racks. They were kind of a hassle to put on and take off. I dented them up pretty good offroading that probably would've crushed my OEM BMW adv panniers and broken my windshield. I sold them and bought Globescout panniers for the added volume and better looks.
Yeah the volume kinda sucks. They seem sturdy though. I can't imagine how it came off. Well I suppose I can imagine...I suppose I caught the springy thingy lever and popped it and didn't notice... and then the disc must have come undone to the point when the inside square thing on the rack frame turned. I suppose it was hanging off at 45 degrees for a while until she went over a ripple and it dislodged. Darn, I had a hell of a time getting them on and off at the house and it just fell off on the road!!!!!!! The bottom rail is very tight and then you tighten the disc and then pop in that lever, it looks bullet proof, something went wrong or failed or I didn't do it right.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:38 AM   #6
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 49,448
I've had two different sets of Jesses. Never even came close to losing them in nearly 80K miles of travel.

That said, I never owned a set with the central crank lock, but have installed many. The design seems solid, so unless they were misaligned when installed I can't see how they could come loose. If misaligned the crank will tighten offset and will hold for a while, but could concievably come loose with time and vibration.

I would contact Jesse and see if he has a scratch and dent he could sell you as a replacement.

Alternatively, there is Kirk!

Sorry about your loss!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:51 AM   #7
transplant
not OEM

Oddometer: 231
Jesse mounts are fiddly. You have to be sure that you tighten the crank enough so that it is blocked from loosening by the frame of the box. Sometimes you need a pry bar to accomplish this. I also lost one at speed, but watched it slide through traffic, get hit by a truck and then go into a ditch. The case was undented, but scarred on one edge. Live and learn.
transplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:07 AM   #8
Rockmuncher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 770
That really sucks that people would take your bag when it's obvious who it belongs to. Some folks are scum. I don't believe in much, but I do believe in karma and that thief will get his.
BTW, wtf is up with your buddy?? Dick move to leave your bag there in the road.
Rockmuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:53 AM   #9
TorontoBrit
TorontoBrit

Oddometer: 311
I had one of my Jesse's come off once after hitting a bump in rush hour traffic, fortunately the truck behind honked his horn so I stopped walked back and picked it up. Fortunately I had just been on the highway doing 100kph, and it didn't come off then. It turns out when I had last taken them off I didn't line up the two tabs on the back side of the locking ring that you clamp down to the rail, properly. Now I check every time I re-install them, no problems since. User error in my case no fault of Jesses.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:59 AM   #10
TUCKERS OP
the famous james

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmuncher View Post
That really sucks that people would take your bag when it's obvious who it belongs to. Some folks are scum. I don't believe in much, but I do believe in karma and that thief will get his.
BTW, wtf is up with your buddy?? Dick move to leave your bag there in the road.
Yeah it was odd the other rider just left it there! He has no explanation. He must have been just a minute or two behind us...we had said our goodbyes at the last gas stop and we were all on our ways home.
It's difficult to reconcile as he actually said he saw the pannier on the road and the lid was open but the pannier at a glance looked intact~! Then he kept on riding until he got home! Then he phoned us. Which by then we were 60 miles in to a 120 mile re-tracing. The pannier came off 12 miles from our house. So we went there and beleive me I looked and looked....twice. I went up and down way further than physically possible for the pannier to move on it's own. Someone nabbed it and kept it, good stuff inside. yeah, they know it's not theirs, but hey....a laptop + !!!!!! figure they had a good score. my notebook/address book was in the bottom of my clothes bag. No way they would miss it it's about 4"X6". On the front is a plain sticker with home/cell phones and an offer as a reward.....I never wanted to lose that book! Full of contacts, plus information I have collected for 14 years...tips, motels, short cut fixes on bikes...all manner of jottings.

Odd, strange, weird.

I am in touch with Jesseluggage. Alycia there said she "will check with the techs to see if this has happened before"....

I can't believe I'm the first one to contact them with this. Perhaps she is brand new?
Old 03-14-2013, 11:05 AM   #11
spagthorpe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,533
Are you stuck with those mounts? I had the Safaris with their twist-click mounting system, and there is no way the bags would ever fall off the bike.

I really liked everything about the bags.....except that damn lip around the opening. That is what kept me from being able to put a helmet in the bags when stopped, and greatly reduced their useability for me. I've got the factory bags now, and while they're not as strong, won't hold as much, and wider on the bike, I find them more usable most of the time.
spagthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:08 AM   #12
BobLoblaw
Comfortably Numb

Oddometer: 1,427
I just finished an 8000 mile trip around Mexico with my new Jesse Panniers. I am more than happy with them.

I think it is next to impossible to get the upper rotating mount to engage without the lower mount correctly installed on the bar HOWEVER I did notice on several occasions that the upper mount had loosened up, presumably with vibration to the point that it had lost enough tension that it could disengage.

SO Check the tension of the upper rotating mount at least daily.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:16 AM   #13
TUCKERS OP
the famous james

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
I just finished an 8000 mile trip around Mexico with my new Jesse Panniers. I am more than happy with them.

I think it is next to impossible to get the upper rotating mount to engage without the lower mount correctly installed on the bar HOWEVER I did notice on several occasions that the upper mount had loosened up, presumably with vibration to the point that it had lost enough tension that it could disengage.

SO Check the tension of the upper rotating mount at least daily.

How can the upper mount rotate loose if the spring lever is engaged? I'm assuming that's what happened. There is no other way for it to come off. Unless of course the bolt snapped in the central disc.
If I stick with these I'm simply going to bolt the pannier on properly. I don't take them on and off during a ride, quick release is no bonus for me. I'll modify them like I do with top box....no quick release...bolted to the frame mount.

I am not a lover of quick release....they release too quick.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:20 AM   #14
BobLoblaw
Comfortably Numb

Oddometer: 1,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCKERS View Post
How can the upper mount rotate loose if the spring lever is engaged? I'm assuming that's what happened. There is no other way for it to come off. Unless of course the bolt snapped in the central disc.
If I stick with these I'm simply going to bolt the pannier on properly. I don't take them on and off during a ride, quick release is no bonus for me. I'll modify them like I do with top box....no quick release...bolted to the frame mount.

I am not a lover of quick release....they release too quick.
It does loosen with the vibration. The lever engages nothing it simply folds out of the way.

I can't find the link right now but there was another rider in Mexico recently who lost his as well but he heard it hit the ground at the time.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:39 AM   #15
TUCKERS OP
the famous james

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
It does loosen with the vibration. The lever engages nothing it simply folds out of the way.

I can't find the link right now but there was another rider in Mexico recently who lost his as well but he heard it hit the ground at the time.

So it's a design flaw. My Touratech didn't do this in 90,000 miles and my HT's didn't either. BMW OEM stayed intact as well.

H'mmm? BUT some people go 80,000 miles with no loss. Are they tightening the disc at least daily?

TUCKERS screwed with this post 03-14-2013 at 11:45 AM