Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2013, 06:25 PM   #16
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLVERINE View Post
Is there much difference in the comfort and height between the standard and low version of the Sargent seat? I'm tall in the body and would love to get an 1" lower in the saddle without sacrificing much. The stock seat is a tad too tall for my liking....
I'm about to put in an order on a Sargent to catch the sale so need to know soon....
Compared to the GSA seat, yes, there's a noticeable difference in height. Im 5'10" with a 31" inseam and with ESA set to one rider, no luggage I can almost flat foot. I think it compares to the standard GS seat. If I adjust my ESA to one with luggage, I'm at the same height as I was with one w/o luggage on my stock GSA seat. I never tried the Sargent Low seat because my experience with low seats has been cramped knees that got sore much sooner than my butt did. Personally, I'd get the standard height for the extra padding and if its too tall, you can ship it back for a replacement within 30 days.
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:31 PM   #17
WOLVERINE
Keep her pinned!

Oddometer: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikertrash View Post
Compared to the GSA seat, yes, there's a noticeable difference in height. Im 5'10" with a 31" inseam and with ESA set to one rider, no luggage I can almost flat foot. I think it compares to the standard GS seat. If I adjust my ESA to one with luggage, I'm at the same height as I was with one w/o luggage on my stock GSA seat. I never tried the Sargent Low seat because my experience with low seats has been cramped knees that got sore much sooner than my butt did. Personally, I'd get the standard height for the extra padding and if its too tall, you can ship it back for a replacement within 30 days.
So, if the Sargent standard seat is lower than the stock GSA seat then I'll go with the standard seat... Thanks!
I have a 32" inseam but am 6'1" so wanted to get a little lower in the saddle for the stock windscreen.

2008 R1200GSA
WOLVERINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:43 PM   #18
dmottv
Take the Long Way Home

Oddometer: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retics View Post
Thanks for the help guys, I was thinking the Corbin at first but after reading more reviews today the Sargent looks pretty good, I think the stock seat is pretty good but I am not quite flat footed and left me scrambling to not drop the bike once with the girlfriend squirming on the back,, half her fault I'm sure lol.

http://www.sargentcycle.com/Seats-Ac...3-19-HFRK.html

Though I probably don't need the heated version .
I had the Corbin on the R100GS, didn't like it, so went back to the oem stock seat. I put a Sargent on the KLR, rode all day, every day, for a week, exploring dirt roads and trails on Gaspe and in northern NB, love it!

dmottv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:48 PM   #19
WOLVERINE
Keep her pinned!

Just ordered mine to catch the bike week deals. Went with the standard sargent without heat....

2008 R1200GSA
Old 03-16-2013, 07:07 PM   #20
navsnipe
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Just ordered mine too after I saw the mention of bike week discount. I had a Sargent on my Ducati ST2 and it was great.
navsnipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:57 PM   #21
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,287
Quote:
Is there much difference in the comfort and height between the standard and low version of the Sargent seat? I'm tall in the body and would love to get an 1" lower in the saddle without sacrificing much. The stock seat is a tad too tall for my liking....
I'm about to put in an order on a Sargent to catch the sale so need to know soon....
I have no experience with the regular seat, but the low seat is quite comfortable. Hard for the first 1000 miles, but works in nicely!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:12 PM   #22
GSAdict
GSAdict

Oddometer: 53
I picked up a 2011 on ebay and flew to NM and rode it home. OEM seat sucks and killed me. Bought a Sargent on CL and Ive now done 2 separate 800+ mile days and LOVE my seat. My wife likes her seat on 2UP also.
GSAdict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:25 AM   #23
WOLVERINE
Keep her pinned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSAdict View Post
I picked up a 2011 on ebay and flew to NM and rode it home. OEM seat sucks and killed me. Bought a Sargent on CL and Ive now done 2 separate 800+ mile days and LOVE my seat. My wife likes her seat on 2UP also.
My wife didn't mind the pillion on the GSA and would never complain on long rides. It was only me moving around after an hour of riding and now she rides her own F658 so no need to get the rear seat and save a few dollars. Never had a heated bike seat so went with the standard one without it. What you never had you can't miss....

2008 R1200GSA
Old 03-17-2013, 06:22 AM   #24
Slippy Chips
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Quote:
My wife didn't mind the pillion on the GSA and would never complain on long rides. It was only me moving around after an hour of riding and now she rides her own F658 so no need to get the rear seat and save a few dollars. Never had a heated bike seat so went with the standard one without it. What you never had you can't miss....
Funny how we think of buying a whole new motorcycle as "saving a few dollars" over refinishing the passenger seat. I do the same thing! "Honey, if I get this new $800 GPS I can save money by taking more fuel efficient routs."
IBA #56918
Slippy Chips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:34 AM   #25
WOLVERINE
Keep her pinned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippy Chips View Post
Funny how we think of buying a whole new motorcycle as "saving a few dollars" over refinishing the passenger seat. I do the same thing! "Honey, if I get this new $800 GPS I can save money by taking more fuel efficient routs."
Yah, that would be funny, but she's been riding her own for 4 years now so don't need a passenger seat. Besides the extra cash will go towards a set of rotors and ABS ring for my 2nd set of wheels. Not trying to be cheap, just get more stuff....

2008 R1200GSA
Old 03-17-2013, 03:07 PM   #26
Steptoe
steptoe

Oddometer: 2,536
There is no such thing as "The best seat".

It depends on what suits you and the type of arse you have.

I tried all types on my 1150GS, and i mean all the well known makes. And the corbin suits me best and is most comfortable, on the 1150.

But on a 1200 the sargeant is best for me.
Old 03-17-2013, 05:32 PM   #27
Import
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 304
Just got my oe seat back from being sorted... Had the 14" gel pad inserted, warped in memory foam and re covered. 175$ all in..... I'll lt you know how good it is, first impression.....should come like this from the factory!
Import is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:02 PM   #28
Izzy3
Freak of Unnature

Oddometer: 150
I like the Corbin

I bought a Corbin and like it. They sent a color swatch to make sure it matched and the seat installed nicely. A little wider than stock so I can barely flatfoot on the center stand now.

Old 03-17-2013, 06:21 PM   #29
WOLVERINE
Keep her pinned!

Forgot to ask! What's the waiting time for a seat?

2008 R1200GSA
Old 03-17-2013, 08:52 PM   #30
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,706
Quote:
Forgot to ask! What's the waiting time for a seat?
If you mean Sargent, mine were shipped a day or two after I ordered them and shipped FedEx ground. I imagine a custom seat might take longer.
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote