User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2014, 10:08 PM   #1
gearheadE30 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 770
950 pouring out fuel when dropped

I was out riding some trails earlier today that were quite muddy from all the snowmelt we've had, and of course Mefos don't like mud... needless to say, I'm really glad I invested in those 990 tank guards now...

at any rate, whenever the bike was on its side, it just poured fuel out of the bottom tank. I've not been around too many LC8s, but I don't think this should happen... I have done the flapendectomy, since I had the problems associated with it, and I had never had the bike down before I did that. What's the deal? Do they just leak and I need to pick the bike up faster, or is there something going on in the tank caps that needs to be fixed? Being in a rush to pick your bike up because it's pouring gas everywhere is never fun.
1989 Chevrolet Caprice Classic Wagon sleeper tow car
3 Months Exploring the US on a 950
gearheadE30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 01:35 AM   #2
Sumi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheadE30 View Post
I was out riding some trails earlier today that were quite muddy from all the snowmelt we've had, and of course Mefos don't like mud... needless to say, I'm really glad I invested in those 990 tank guards now...

at any rate, whenever the bike was on its side, it just poured fuel out of the bottom tank. I've not been around too many LC8s, but I don't think this should happen... I have done the flapendectomy, since I had the problems associated with it, and I had never had the bike down before I did that. What's the deal? Do they just leak and I need to pick the bike up faster, or is there something going on in the tank caps that needs to be fixed? Being in a rush to pick your bike up because it's pouring gas everywhere is never fun.
Yeah, it's probably because of the flapendectomy. At least mine is doing the same thing since. Before cutting the little rubbers off, it didn't leak any fuel when bike was on its side.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:08 AM   #3
gearheadE30 OP
Studly Adventurer

great...and it looks like there's really no way of fixing that problem, that I've seen at least. Well, I guess there's a little more motivation for not crashing...
Old 03-16-2014, 02:48 PM   #4
keener
Speed changes you.

Oddometer: 922
Have you routed the vents up to top of the dash behind the head light and T to the foot peg?

Since I've done that it solved the problem with fuel boiling out of the vents issue and we the bike is taking a nap it takes much longer for fuel to come out of the vents.

Sent from my LG-D803 using Tapatalk
Old 03-16-2014, 03:26 PM   #5
gearheadE30 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by keener View Post
Have you routed the vents up to top of the dash behind the head light and T to the foot peg?

Since I've done that it solved the problem with fuel boiling out of the vents issue and we the bike is taking a nap it takes much longer for fuel to come out of the vents.

Sent from my LG-D803 using Tapatalk
As an 05.5 that was never retrofitted, I don't have the T. My vents are not routed to the dash area; they just go straight down. Definitely makes sense why that would help. I'll have to reroute it and go find some more trails to do some 'testing'
Old 03-17-2014, 07:12 AM   #6
keener
Speed changes you.

I can't recall any model that comes with the T connection I was talking about. I made it myself. Two vents join with a T at top of the headlight and one vent line runs down from the T to some where bellow a foot peg.

It's important that no vent gets pinched closed.
Old 03-17-2014, 04:46 PM   #7
Sumi
Beastly Adventurer

IMO the most elegant way is to undo the flapendectomy... the bike should and will run perfectly without this mod. (Mine did for years, and when I had fueling issues it turned out it was a faulty fuel pump, and not the venting.. so it's proven that it can work 100% perfect with the flaps in place. And that way it won't leak a drop of fuel if it's on its side - only from the carb bowls)
Old 03-17-2014, 06:25 PM   #8
gearheadE30 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by keener View Post
I can't recall any model that comes with the T connection I was talking about. I made it myself. Two vents join with a T at top of the headlight and one vent line runs down from the T to some where bellow a foot peg.

It's important that no vent gets pinched closed.
The T was a recall item, or at least I have a TSB from KTM about it. It was like a crossover between the tops of the two tanks. But yeah, that sounds like a pretty straightforward way to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumi View Post
IMO the most elegant way is to undo the flapendectomy... the bike should and will run perfectly without this mod. (Mine did for years, and when I had fueling issues it turned out it was a faulty fuel pump, and not the venting.. so it's proven that it can work 100% perfect with the flaps in place. And that way it won't leak a drop of fuel if it's on its side - only from the carb bowls)
Believe me, if I could I would, but you can't just buy the flap pieces. You have to buy the whole cap, which just isn't worth it at over $130 a pop iirc.
Old 03-17-2014, 09:56 PM   #9
Sumi
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheadE30 View Post
The T was a recall item, or at least I have a TSB from KTM about it. It was like a crossover between the tops of the two tanks. But yeah, that sounds like a pretty straightforward way to do it.

Believe me, if I could I would, but you can't just buy the flap pieces. You have to buy the whole cap, which just isn't worth it at over $130 a pop iirc.
IMO gerhead is not talking about the crossover recall. (Don't do that)

And I didn't know the rubber flaps couldn't be bought separetly:( Doesn't sound good..
Old 03-18-2014, 10:13 AM   #10
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer: 2,501
IMO the fuel caps should NEVER leak raw fuel, however raw fuel coming out the vent hoses IMO is 'OK'. I ran many a mile with the OEM caps/flaps after removing the OEM evap systems then adding tank venting like this:

There was a recent reference to a company in Italy (i think) that offers a complete 'key set', in that kit is the ignition switch, the seat lock as well as two fuel caps and the price was very reasonable..... but of course I cannot find it.

The other ALT would be to replace the caps with 'spin on' billet caps.
Head2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 11:41 AM   #11
keener
Speed changes you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Head2Wind View Post
IMO the fuel caps should NEVER leak raw fuel, however raw fuel coming out the vent hoses IMO is 'OK'. I ran many a mile with the OEM caps/flaps after removing the OEM evap systems then adding tank venting like this:

There was a recent reference to a company in Italy (i think) that offers a complete 'key set', in that kit is the ignition switch, the seat lock as well as two fuel caps and the price was very reasonable..... but of course I cannot find it.

The other ALT would be to replace the caps with 'spin on' billet caps.
Do I see a fuel filter in the vent line? Whats that for Ken?
Old 03-18-2014, 12:23 PM   #12
Sumi
Beastly Adventurer

There are two vents per tank. One at the front and one at the middle. The front one (the one that H2W made the fancy vent for) is connected to the fuel cap, and if you cut the flaps off the rubber it'll be freely flowing fuel out through it when the bike is on its side, and the fuel lever is over the cap. It doesn't flow out the cap, but through the front vent - but it does flow through the little labyrinth in the cap.
Old 03-18-2014, 04:09 PM   #13
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,754
I agree flapendectomy is not a good idea.

That is if you keep your vents free flowing. The middle hose I believe is draining the spilled fuel and water that collects around the fuel entrance to the tanks.
Cheers.
gefr is online now   Reply With Quote