User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2009, 03:23 PM   #1
WIsixfitty OP
ceiling unlimited

Oddometer: 2,005
lower steering head bearing removal?

I am in the middle of replacing my head bearings and having a little challenge in getting the lower bearing and race off.

Will a standard bearing separator work? There are two bosses for the steering stops that look like they could possibly get in the way.

Any other ways to get it off?
Old 04-04-2009, 05:51 PM   #2
mookymoo
Mookish Mook

Oddometer: 4,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIsixfitty
I am in the middle of replacing my head bearings and having a little challenge in getting the lower bearing and race off.

Will a standard bearing separator work? There are two bosses for the steering stops that look like they could possibly get in the way.

Any other ways to get it off?
Long punch from above?

Some info here too http://www.garagenight.tv/ep-5-repla...head-bearings/
mookymoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 02:12 AM   #3
kamanya
Andrew to most

Oddometer: 1,250
+1 on the punch.

I used the front axle as a punch.

I screwed the axle bolt on to the axle so as not to wreck the threads and then used the other end to get the race out.

Getting the bearing off the tripple clamp was an issue. Try not to destroy the dust cover under that bearing as the replacement ones are nowhere near as good as the OEM ones.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:21 AM   #4
WIsixfitty OP
ceiling unlimited

I got the ones out of the frame w/o any problems.

It's the one on the lower triple clamp that I need some help with. I have a new lower seal. I'll compare the two to see if I can find any difference.

The vid kinda confirmed what to do. They were a little crude at times but got the job done.

Thanks mookymoo.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:23 PM   #5
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,443
Quote:
I got the ones out of the frame w/o any problems.

It's the one on the lower triple clamp that I need some help with. I have a new lower seal. I'll compare the two to see if I can find any difference.

The vid kinda confirmed what to do. They were a little crude at times but got the job done.

Thanks mookymoo.
Assuming you are referring to the one on the bottom of the stem. I've not looked at the 950 but assuming it's like any other bike, you can use a dremel tool and a cutting disc IF YOU ARE SUPER CAREFUL. Stop often to verify you're not cutting into the stem. As you get almost through the old inner race will easily pry off with a flat blade screwdriver. Thats how I did it last time (on a Kawasaki).

I tried a punch, couldn't get right angle due to the lower clamp .... is there a way to remove the stem from the lower clamp on the KTMs?

crazybrit screwed with this post 04-05-2009 at 08:28 PM
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 09:17 PM   #6
Vicks
I love sand !!!

Oddometer: 2,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by mookymoo
Long punch from above?

Some info here too http://www.garagenight.tv/ep-5-repla...head-bearings/
thats a very usefull link there. thanks.
No beautiful body soft and warm to the touch but, i have a very small desire
Give me a dark... long... winding road, three gears to go and my Hellas on fire !!
Vicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 09:35 PM   #7
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Vicks
thats a very usefull link there. thanks.
I always use the old inner races. Figured it out one day all by my lonesome trying to find something to drive in a wheel bearing and not having a socket of the right diameter ... and now use it for all bearing replacements, good to see someone else doing same, useful trick.

Couldn't figure out why they used an angle grinder, didn't they earlier put a cut through the old inner-race using the dremel tool (to cut it off)?. Not that it much matters.

Another good tip is to get some surplus aluminum tube 2 ft long, make 4 6" cuts at the end (12, 3, 6, 9 o'clock) and splay out the ends. You can then pull it through the steering head and drive out the races pressed into the head with one blow, much cleaner than using a punch and no risk of damaging the inside of the steering head.
Old 04-06-2009, 02:00 AM   #8
uk_mouse
Aquatic adventurer

Oddometer: 1,423
One way to get the lower bearing off the steering stem, if you have a MIG welder, is to cut off the rollers and cage, then weld a nice fat bead round the inner part of the bearing. While it's still hot use a drift or a punch to drive it off the stem. The heat loosens it all up and you apply the drift to the weld as it won't break off, unlike the small lip on the bearing inner.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:04 AM   #9
Vicks
I love sand !!!

Oddometer: 2,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybrit
Couldn't figure out why they used an angle grinder, didn't they earlier put a cut through the old inner-race using the dremel tool (to cut it off)?. Not that it much matters.
they didn't remove the inner race by cutting it, instead they used a chisel.

hence, the cutting drama later on to use it for seating the new inner race.
No beautiful body soft and warm to the touch but, i have a very small desire
Give me a dark... long... winding road, three gears to go and my Hellas on fire !!
Vicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 07:42 AM   #10
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Vicks
they didn't remove the inner race by cutting it, instead they used a chisel.

hence, the cutting drama later on to use it for seating the new inner race.
I thought I heard them say they were going to cut through 90% of it using the dremel and then just break it using a sharp chisel blow .... anyways, doesn't matter.
Old 04-06-2009, 02:44 PM   #11
upshiftst4s
machining out of paperbag

Oddometer: 26
bearing separator

I used a tool like this, mine was Enco Mfg. also the same as this Harbor Frieght tool. I clamped the triple clamp to a milling machine table using studs and clamps. Using two pry bars, I gently lifted the puller frame. It took a couple of tries until the two bolts/studs were sufficently tight.
Installing the bottom race in the head stock, heated it quite warm and installed the race right out of the freezer. Use gloves, the race falls out, needs to be held in place for a few seconds (DAMHIK).

Harbor Frieght Tools
Small Bearing Separator
Pittsburgh
7343-2VGA
$9.99
Old 04-06-2009, 03:52 PM   #12
WIsixfitty OP
ceiling unlimited

Quote:
Originally Posted by uk_mouse
One way to get the lower bearing off the steering stem, if you have a MIG welder, is to cut off the rollers and cage, then weld a nice fat bead round the inner part of the bearing. While it's still hot use a drift or a punch to drive it off the stem. The heat loosens it all up and you apply the drift to the weld as it won't break off, unlike the small lip on the bearing inner.
I have wire and tig. Either would do the trick. Good idea!

I just cut most of the way through with an abrasive cut-off wheel. A couple taps with a chisel and it cracked then popped right off. The race is very brittle so just scoring it with a cutoff wheel should do the trick.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:22 PM   #13
YOGOI
Prick

Oddometer: 3,446
Here is what I have done.
...which is what I was told to do by others on this site.

All you need to do is press the stem out of the bottom triple. As you press the stem the bearing will follow.

04 950 GO!!!!! 2011 250 XC 89 Transalp 69 350 CL 04 225 XT

08 450 XC-F SOLD to a good home
YOGOI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 02:24 AM   #14
uk_mouse
Aquatic adventurer

Oddometer: 1,423
Quote:
I have wire and tig. Either would do the trick.
Indeed, I just said MIG cos that's what I have got.

I've heard the "press the stem out of the lower triple clamp" idea before. But I find I have to change my headstock bearings every 6 months, I'd be wary about splitting the stem and clamp apart that frequently. I might be wrong about that though.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:04 PM   #15
almon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Not adding anything new to the thread. Just wanted to say thanks to the previous posters, made the job that much easier. The video was pretty good. I used a punch to get the races out. Prior to reading this thread and watching the vid, I had sent the lower stem to my dealer to have them replace the lower bearing.

Al
almon is offline   Reply With Quote