ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2005, 06:31 PM   #1
jshuck OP
Iron Butt #31

Oddometer: 397
food stops on BRP, Skyway, Deal's Gap?

Going down that way next week. Any great restaurants, etc. Ethnic, Mom and Pop etc.... Thanks john shuck
jshuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 06:52 PM   #2
mark1305
Old Enough To Know Better

Oddometer: 5,933
Not a lot of experience with food stops in that area, but when I was touring around some of those those roads (not the BRP) last month I stopped for a decent lunch at Fontana Village. Fontana is a worthwhile side trip to see the highest concrete dam east of the Rockies. Other than that about the only places to find food in the immediate area of Deals Gap and the Cherohala Skyway would be in Robbinsville below the Dragon on 129, or in Tellico Plains at the west end of the Cherohala Skyway. There may be a couple of other places tucked away but I haven't noticed them.

Check out www.tailofthedragon.com . They have lots of local info on that site and may have some restaurant info.

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 07:56 AM   #3
CMWoody
Banned

Oddometer: 5,248
Great places to eat along the BRP

Tuggle's Gap, VA at the hwy 8 exit - Great Pan fried chicken on Saturdays, everything else is just about as good.

Fancy Gap, Va. - The Lake View Inn right there off the 52 exit is good. Get the coconut creme pie. I make it there at least once a month just for that.

Droughton Park (mp241) - Bluff's Diner right on the parkway, even better pan fried chicken and an awesome BBQ sandwich. This is my all time favorite place to eat.

Nearby Sparta, NC - Take the hwy 18 exit to the Station Inn. Great little hamburger shack and a motorcycle centric (mostly HD) motel.

Farther up 18 to 113, at the intersection of 221 and 113 - Motley's BBQ, only open thursday through Saturday. By far the best ribs I've ever eaten. Great twistys on the way there too. 221 is imho, a better road than the BRP in this strech.

A little farther down 221 off 1574 - The very famous Shatley Springs Inn. Southern food buffet and it absolutely rocks. Eat there once and you'll go back again before you die. People come here from all over the country for this food.

Blowing Rock, NC. - Nice little places downtown just off the BRP - Speckled trout offers fine dining in a casual diner. Canyons right off 321 is excellent and a popular bike destination. Jazz brunch on Sundays

Boone, NC. - If your hungry you must go to the Daniel Boone Inn. Homestyle southern cooking served family style and all you can eat. Plan on napping afterwards.

Linville Falls - Famous Lucille's and the BBQ place across the street(forget the name)just off the BRP at the 221, Linville Falls exit are both excellent.

Black Mountain, NC - Lots of great places here and a really quaint little old fashioned downtown. I like Peppers, a place that is themed after Dr. Pepper. Fantastic soda fountain style old timey eatin. mmmm patty melt...
Theres a really good German place there too, can't remember the name. French Quarters Cafe excellent as well. There are so many other places there thats said to be yummy that I haven't been to yet.

Deal's Gap - The food at the Tampico lodge is great, also the best place to stay for miles around.

Along the Cherohala Skyway - stop at the Bistro Restaurant about midway, excellent fare and I've counted over 100 bikes in the parking lot before.

CMWoody screwed with this post 07-11-2005 at 08:10 AM
CMWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 09:04 AM   #4
CMWoody
Banned

Oddometer: 5,248
Thought of some more

Deal's Gap area - The Smoke House on 411 near where 129 intersects is good. Back Yard Burgers as your coming into Marysville, also tasty.
CMWoody is offline   Reply With Quote