ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-15-2009, 11:22 AM   #1
10Cup OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
10Cup's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: NW Arkansas
Oddometer: 2,591
Metzler Karoo VS Conti TKC80 and Mitas E09??

From what I can tell the only rear tire available for the F800GS are the above two tires (150/70Rx17) Has anyone had any experience with the Metzler Karoo? I have the TKC80's and they seem excellent but do wear pretty quickly.

Are there other good knobby tires out there in the above size?

TIA
10Cup
__________________
10Cup - WR250R - BMW R1200GS
Trails of the West 2011 Moab/Western TAT 2010 Continental Divide Ride 09 Route 66 Ride SPOT Tracker
The cost of living's going up, and the chance of livin's going down.
10Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 11:34 AM   #2
tmex
Beastly Adventurer
 
tmex's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: NorCal
Oddometer: 2,039
I've used the Karoo and the TKC80 on both my F8 and 12GS. Both wear quickly and are expensive. I don't care for either in the mud or sand. Someone on this forum tipped me off to the Mitas E09 140/80-17. I ordered a couple (they are less than $100). Coin in the photo is a US quarter. Have not tried them yet, but they are used a lot in ISDE events and are DOT approved.

__________________
my favorite bike - R1200GS
tmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 12:55 PM   #3
Wildman
In my castle
 
Wildman's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: The Kingdom of Kent
Oddometer: 17,882
BMW recommend the "Karoo T" which, if I understand correctly stands for traveller indicating they should be more long-lasting.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...2&postcount=57
__________________
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 01:28 PM   #4
zaner32
In over my head
 
zaner32's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Moncton
Oddometer: 646
Looks good there Tmex. Going to order some as the season gets closer here in the great white north .
__________________
97 DR350SE
09 F800GS
"When nothing goes right, go left!
zaner32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 06:05 PM   #5
Gravehunter
Studly Adventurer
 
Gravehunter's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Clarinda, Iowa, USA
Oddometer: 753
Someone in the US carries these?
Let us know your options and mileage you get out of them when you can.



Quote:
Originally Posted by tmex
I've used the Karoo and the TKC80 on both my F8 and 12GS. Both wear quickly and are expensive. I don't care for either in the mud or sand. Someone on this forum tipped me off to the Mitas E09 140/80-17. I ordered a couple (they are less than $100). Coin in the photo is a US quarter. Have not tried them yet, but they are used a lot in ISDE events and are DOT approved.

__________________
2005 BMW 1200GS
Gravehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 06:15 PM   #6
tmex
Beastly Adventurer
 
tmex's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: NorCal
Oddometer: 2,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravehunter
Someone in the US carries these?
Let us know your options and mileage you get out of them when you can.
I could not find a US distributor. Got mine from gnarlyparts in Canada.
http://www.gnarlyparts.ca

Supposedly they wear like iron and the sidewalls are so stiff you can run them without air in the tube. We shall see. The sidewalls are certainly stiff. I am not looking forward to mounting them.
__________________
my favorite bike - R1200GS
tmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 06:17 PM   #7
beemerbum
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Ottawa ON
Oddometer: 48
The rubber stuff

Have used both TKCs and Karoos, among others. Currently have a set of the TKC rubber on the 8GS, with compromise pressure settings to facilitate on and off-road riding. Have a set of the Karoo Ts (new) to try next, but really liked them on the GS Adventure and they are holding up far better than anything else...

Some other choices out there, but longevity seems to be an issue with many of them...but when the price is right...

Bruce.
__________________
----------
One is never enough...2014 F800GS Adventure Launch Edition and now, a 2014 R1200GSW in minimal Red, needing farkling. What, only two...the search continues for something else.
beemerbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 06:27 PM   #8
JemezMtns
Gnarly Adventurer
 
JemezMtns's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Placitas, NM
Oddometer: 102
Size?

Tmex...
the rear tire on the 800gs is a 150....can you mount a 140 on the wheel safely? I put Metzler sahara 3's on my KLR and really like them. would love to try them out on the 800, but they don't come in the 150 size.


Quote:
Originally Posted by tmex
I've used the Karoo and the TKC80 on both my F8 and 12GS. Both wear quickly and are expensive. I don't care for either in the mud or sand. Someone on this forum tipped me off to the Mitas E09 140/80-17. I ordered a couple (they are less than $100). Coin in the photo is a US quarter. Have not tried them yet, but they are used a lot in ISDE events and are DOT approved.


__________________
If I was a dog my tail would be waggin'
JemezMtns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 07:24 PM   #9
Gravehunter
Studly Adventurer
 
Gravehunter's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Clarinda, Iowa, USA
Oddometer: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmex
I could not find a US distributor. Got mine from gnarlyparts in Canada.
http://www.gnarlyparts.ca

Supposedly they wear like iron and the sidewalls are so stiff you can run them without air in the tube. We shall see. The sidewalls are certainly stiff. I am not looking forward to mounting them.
Thanks for the info. Thats close enough to the US to not have some crazy shipping prices.
I just got a new set of TKC's so i'm good for a while. Maybe by then you'll have enough miles on them for an opinion on them vs TKC's.
I hate to run a tube, but if they are cheap and last longer i'll do it.
__________________
2005 BMW 1200GS
Gravehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 08:03 PM   #10
eakins
Butler Maps
 
eakins's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Oddometer: 17,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmex
I could not find a US distributor. Got mine from gnarlyparts in Canada.
http://www.gnarlyparts.ca

Supposedly they wear like iron and the sidewalls are so stiff you can run them without air in the tube. We shall see. The sidewalls are certainly stiff. I am not looking forward to mounting them.
http://www.gnarlyparts.ca/index.php?...d22b4e150e2f67

so they ship to the us no problem?
how much for shipping?
crazy that an eastern european tire needs to be ordered from canada??? have heard great things about mitas.

might have to try those 130-17" on the dr vrs the $$$ mefo explorer rears i'm using.
__________________
Butler Maps - motorcycle maps for riders by riders -
Alaska
AZ map COBDR AZBDR IDBDR South East map
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com

eakins screwed with this post 02-15-2009 at 08:12 PM
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 08:11 PM   #11
eakins
Butler Maps
 
eakins's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Oddometer: 17,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by JemezMtns
Tmex...
the rear tire on the 800gs is a 150....can you mount a 140 on the wheel safely? I put Metzler sahara 3's on my KLR and really like them. would love to try them out on the 800, but they don't come in the 150 size.
from tmex post sounds he's using those on his 800gs.
http://f800riders.org/forum/showthread.php?t=22015

pay attention to this:
"...i warned you... wet asphalt is like ice with mitas, so be careful...

Rest is ok."

makes sense if it's a long wearing tire.



have read reports of 140-17" (mefo explorers) used on stroms which also spec a 150 -17" tire
__________________
Butler Maps - motorcycle maps for riders by riders -
Alaska
AZ map COBDR AZBDR IDBDR South East map
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com

eakins screwed with this post 02-15-2009 at 08:24 PM
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 08:17 PM   #12
Gravehunter
Studly Adventurer
 
Gravehunter's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Clarinda, Iowa, USA
Oddometer: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins
http://www.gnarlyparts.ca/index.php?...d22b4e150e2f67

so they ship to the us no problem?
how much for shipping?
crazy that an eastern european tire needs to be ordered from canada??? have heard great things about mitas.

might have to try those 130-17" on the dr vrs the $$$ mefo explorer rears i'm using.

On the front page of thier website:

Why buy from us?
• Free ground shipping on orders over $150 to anywhere in Canada and the United States (Including Hawaii and Alaska. These areas may take longer for delivery)
• Orders delivered to your door in 1 to 10 working days anywhere in Canada or the United States.
• United States customers never pay duty or taxes
• Very knowledgeable staff of all dirt and street bikes available to answer any questions.
• Just like you we ride!
• Thousands of satisfied customers served


I'm doing some searching to see how many miles people are getting out of the E09's.
__________________
2005 BMW 1200GS
Gravehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 08:23 PM   #13
eakins
Butler Maps
 
eakins's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Oddometer: 17,965
thanks. blew right past that .
free shipping!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravehunter
On the front page of thier website:

Why buy from us?
• Free ground shipping on orders over $150 to anywhere in Canada and the United States (Including Hawaii and Alaska. These areas may take longer for delivery)
• Orders delivered to your door in 1 to 10 working days anywhere in Canada or the United States.
• United States customers never pay duty or taxes
• Very knowledgeable staff of all dirt and street bikes available to answer any questions.
• Just like you we ride!
• Thousands of satisfied customers served


I'm doing some searching to see how many miles people are getting out of the E09's.
__________________
Butler Maps - motorcycle maps for riders by riders -
Alaska
AZ map COBDR AZBDR IDBDR South East map
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 02:39 AM   #14
Eduardo Cabreira
The "7"
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Porto, Portugal
Oddometer: 60
How about fitting those Mitas on a big Trail such as a Varadero, Caponord or GS1200?

Will it keep up to the wheight, speed and rim width?!
__________________
2003 Aprilia Tuono / Africa Twin RD04
1999 Honda Varadero 1000 SM
1993 Cagiva-Ducati Elefant 900 GT ie (Italian job)
1996 Yamaha XJR1200 Cup-specs (Couldn´t fight the wind anymore)
1997 Honda Africa Twin SM (Loved it but crashed it)
1997 Honda VT750 ACE (just act as if you didn´t read this)
1989 Yamaha PW80 (Second bike...first one with gears)
1982 Yamaha PW50 (first bike...stil have it!)
Eduardo Cabreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 04:21 AM   #15
locorider
Loco, pero no estúpido!
 
locorider's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Puerto Rico, U.S.A.
Oddometer: 2,466
I was considering the Mitas for my next AK trip, but if it is that hard, I dont want to go sliding on the pavement...But will consider them for only dirt..So, meanwhile I'll do TKC, but the Mitas price is tempting.
__________________
Carlos locorider
1989 Honda XL600V Transalp, slightly modified!

"If you don't follow your dreams, you might as well be a vegetable", Burt Munro, The World's Fastest Indian
locorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014