Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2013, 11:30 AM   #16
samthg
Sam...I am.

Oddometer: 1,418
I've been loading/unloading bike's out of trucks for many years. This past summer while unloading my klx in UT, the ramp was slowly moving away from the truck(which I didn't notice). The wife saw it! I now use one of my tie downs from the truck and clip it under the ramp for loading and unloading.
samthg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:30 PM   #17
don63
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Since you have two ramps, start the engine and run it up while you walk up the other ramp. So the scooter would be on the left ramp and you walk up the right ramp. Use the throttle and the to walk the scooter up. When you go to load the second scooter do it the same way. You'll just be kind of squeezed when you get up to the bed of the truck. I load my 110 Elite and 50cc aprilia rally onto the back of my 2500 dodge all the time. It's a breeze. It's actually harder going down and using the just the brakes.
don63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:14 PM   #18
CaptnJim OP
Scootist

Oddometer: 739
A choke... one of the appeals of the Honda PCX 150 is fuel injection.

There are chains on the ramp, to secure it to the truck. I will, for sure, be utilizing those chains.

Don63, your suggestion is what we were planning - great to hear someone is successfully doing it that way.

Thanks for the continued discussion on this topic... it is reassuring.

Best wishes,
Jim

CaptnJim screwed with this post 03-17-2013 at 06:20 PM
CaptnJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:44 PM   #19
MitchG
Iron Collector

Oddometer: 417
Find a good ditch and use it repeatedly.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:56 PM   #20
CaptnJim OP
Scootist

We travel a lot... I may have to find ditches in different areas.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:11 PM   #21
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer: 4,148
I was too chicken to ride the VFR I bought up into the bed of a nissan pickup but my friend, who sold me the bike, did it with no drama using his Ramp-Master ramp. They are pricey but very good.

Adv thread: Ramp Master Opinions

Ramp Master Link
Old 03-18-2013, 09:09 AM   #22
don63
Adventurer

The problem your going to have is, if you do it without a ditch or something to raise the base of the ramp. The belly of the scooters will drag the top of the ramp when transitioning to the bed of the truck. The problem are the ramps. They are not long enough and don't curve at the top. I got these ramps which are 90 inches long and have a curve in them which stops the bottom of the Elite from hitting. http://www.discountramps.com/atv-loading-ramps.htm
The Aprilia is high enough it wouldn't hit regardless. Good luck and don't scrape the paint off the bottom
Old 03-18-2013, 09:12 AM   #23
don63
Adventurer

Sorry , it is actually these ramps. They are both very similar. Just the surface is different
http://www.discountramps.com/dual-atv-ramps.htm
Old 03-18-2013, 05:59 PM   #24
CaptnJim OP
Scootist

Those look like a good ramp. We have a good spot nearby to get the rear wheels down, which makes for less of an angle where the ramps meet the tailgate... should be good to go!

Best wishes,
Captain Jim
Old 03-19-2013, 12:08 AM   #25
DaBinChe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 703
Also if you have a removable tailgate then take that off, makes it much easier and give you more clearance for the underside of the scoot.

DaBinChe screwed with this post 03-19-2013 at 12:15 AM
DaBinChe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:04 AM   #26
topless
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
You need an arched ramp to keep from dragging the bottom as you go into the truck. Straight ramps only work with bikes that have high ground clearance. I always use a tie down to keep the ramp from slipping off the tailgate. You can't catch a bike falling with the ramp, no matter how big and strong you are. 15 seconds of prevention is worth months of waiting for a cast to come off.
http://www.literamps.com/single_motorcycle_ramps.htm

topless screwed with this post 03-19-2013 at 06:09 AM
topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:39 AM   #27
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBinChe View Post
Also if you have a removable tailgate then take that off, makes it much easier and give you more clearance for the underside of the scoot.
How is removing the tailgate going to change the angle of the ramp?

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:25 PM   #28
DaBinChe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
How is removing the tailgate going to change the angle of the ramp?
Most all modern trucks have a slight angle to them, meaning that the rear kinda sticks up higher then the front. Park on a level surface and you see that the rear of the bed is higher then the front. This causes the tailgate to be up higher then the end of the bed when it is down. It doesn't seem like much of a difference but it is just enough to make a difference in clearance. Also with the tailgate off the bumper is a good step so you don't have to step up as high, it is only a few inches but makes it that much easier to load. I almost always take of my tailgate when I load big heavy things not just bikes. Besides it will save your tailgate cable from eventually failing. My tailgate is only rated for 300#. I have home made flat ramp, it has been improved since this picture:

Also in this pic I had the tailgate on, this was back when I was still riding a 50cc scoot and it was so light that I could easily man handle it. I got the aluminum part from Pepboys for about $20 years ago, they come in a pair. The board is a 2"x8" 8' long. Since then I have added side support with 1"x4" so now it looks like a channel with the bottom flush with the main board and the top sticking up acting as a guide to keep the tire on the board and not fall of the side. I had to cut the side support down a little at the top because bikes would get hung up on it. I also screwed in hex head screws to give traction because the board by it self is very slippery. I'll take a pic of the current form when I remember.
DaBinChe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:39 AM   #29
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBinChe View Post
Most all modern trucks have a slight angle to them, meaning that the rear kinda sticks up higher then the front. Park on a level surface and you see that the rear of the bed is higher then the front. This causes the tailgate to be up higher then the end of the bed when it is down. It doesn't seem like much of a difference but it is just enough to make a difference in clearance. .............................
I didn't believe you so I went out and measured the tailgate height on my truck.

You were right, it is about an inch higher. I'm not sure how much difference and inch would make since I had to raise the end of my 7 foot ramp by 10 inches to keep my Super 8 from grounding out.

Also, if you can get your rear wheels down into a ditch, the end of the tailgate will be LOWER than the bed.

In my case, my Avalanche only has a 5' bed so most of my bikes end up with their rear wheels on the tailgate.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:02 AM   #30
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,331
The only scooter I've ever had in the bed of a truck besides the Stella, was a Honda Metropolitan, and it did drag going over the top of the ramp. The truck my father in law has has a really short bed, so it would have been impossible to have gotten 2 scooters in it. The Stella had to go in crossways. And even if the bed is long enough, there may be a width problem with the fenders. I used to have a work truck with a utility (tool box) bed, which had a 4'x8' flat floor in the bed. I was able to get 2 dirt bikes in it easily, but they did hit each other and the sides of the bed. To load the dirt bikes, I used 2 ramps, like you have, put the bike on the right ramp, and walked it up from the left ramp, with the engine off. I left the engine off because even a tiny slip with your hand on the throttle could twist the throttle wide open. The only thing I ever rode into the back of a truck was a quad, and once while doing that I caught the plastic front fender of the quad on the back edge of the bed and tore a chunk out of it.

And yes, the back end of most trucks is noticeably higher than the front, usually 3"-4" higher. That is to give it more load carrying capacity. One way to deal with that is to use ramps in the front, like you use when working under a vehicle. Drive the truck up on the ramps, raising the front will lower the rear.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote