User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2013, 05:54 PM   #1
Boo Radley OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Rekluse EXP won't disengage...

I ran into a recent problem on my '08 CRF 450R, which is equipped with a Rekluse EXP auto-clutch and hydraulic Magura Jack clutch lever.

It worked fine last season, but now I can't seem to get the clutch to fully disengage. The bike creeps forward in 1st gear at idle, and will stall if you put it into 1st gear from neutral w/o pulling the clutch lever to the handlebar. With the clutch lever back to the bar, and in 1st gear, the bike will stay put until you rev the engine, then it gently trys to creep forward.

I've disassemble the clutch, and neither the clutch basket nor the plates (fiber and drive)are notched or deformed in any way. The drive plates don't appear warped (I checked them on a glass table), although they do have a mild blue tinge, which I understand indicates they are heating up too much. Otherwise, they appear fine.

I'm at a loss here...considering replacing all the plates, but not sure that's going to get me anywhere. I've replaced clutches in the past but am no expert. Any ideas?

IBCGUY
Boo Radley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:18 PM   #2
justlookin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 230
Have you watched the setup video on Rekluse website? They show a little trick that I don't remember seeing in the printed instructions. I only ask because I had the same issue and further tightening of the cable cured it, but I did not have blueing. I am thinking the slipping has loosened the clutch adjustment just like heat would in the days before the autoclutch to the point that the clutch doesn't have enough throw. Good Luck
justlookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:33 AM   #3
jar944
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 595
Core or plain exp?

If the plain exp I'm not sure how you were able set the clearance with the magura installed? The std exp relies on the tension from the clutch cable to see the clearance. With the hyd clutch you have no way of doing that, unless you use a adjustable throw out bearing spacer like rekluse used on the KTM kits.
jar944 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:14 PM   #4
Boo Radley OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar944 View Post
Core or plain exp?

If the plain exp I'm not sure how you were able set the clearance with the magura installed? The std exp relies on the tension from the clutch cable to see the clearance. With the hyd clutch you have no way of doing that, unless you use a adjustable throw out bearing spacer like rekluse used on the KTM kits.
Just the plain EXP. You're right on the hydro clutch, and it turns out that was the problem. My mechanic had machined a spacer (which I had forgotten about) to get the "correct" throw, and that spacer has now worn to the point of preventing the clutch from disengaging. I'm going back to a cable clutch and replacing the fabricated spacer with the OEM washer, which should solve the problem. Thanks for the help.

IBCGUY
Old 03-19-2013, 12:38 PM   #5
jar944
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
Just the plain EXP. You're right on the hydro clutch, and it turns out that was the problem. My mechanic had machined a spacer (which I had forgotten about) to get the "correct" throw, and that spacer has now worn to the point of preventing the clutch from disengaging. I'm going back to a cable clutch and replacing the fabricated spacer with the OEM washer, which should solve the problem. Thanks for the help.

IBCGUY
If you wanted to keep the magura call rekluse and ask for the old (discontinued) ktm adjuster. It should work
jar944 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:11 PM   #6
Boo Radley OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar944 View Post
If you wanted to keep the magura call rekluse and ask for the old (discontinued) ktm adjuster. It should work
Talked to them earlier and they said the EXP was an "incompatible product" with the Magura on a CRF... I didn't mention the KTM adjuster though. They did offer to let me trade the EXP in on a CORE EXP (and pay the difference, of course).

I like the Magura but am getting tired of fiddling with it. I just want to ride my bike.