ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Ridiculous streetbikes with 6 CPUs and too much horsepower (1050/1190/1290cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2015, 10:48 PM   #1
roscoe243 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Wink Trade up from 990 to 1190R???

I currently have a 2012 KTM 990 and I'm considering trading it in for a 2015 1190R.

I take my 990 off road quite a lot, not just gravel roads but technical single track as well, and its these off road capabilities which I probably enjoy the most about the 990.

I'm concerned that I may lose some of these capabilities with the bigger bike. And yes I've seen Chris Birch's video, and although I race a KTM 300 off road, I'm no Chris Birch;)

Would like to hear from other real world riders that have made the switch but who are also taking their 1190 R off road on a regular basis.

Thanks
roscoe243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 05:22 AM   #2
scudrunner82
combustion addict

Oddometer: 2,764
The bike does amazingly well off road. I think you will be pleased with it coming from the 990. Most people that have owned/ridden both will tell you its as good or even a bit better due to a more manageable engine. I like the ergos better also. Compared to the 990S, its not quite as light off the kickstand, but I think thats due mostly to the taller suspension and additional ground clearance.
On the road clearly there is no contest. It will destroy a 990 in both performance and comfort.
I absolutely love mine...

350, 450, 848, 900, 1190r

My Youtube channel----- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXo...kdER0Y5QfoE9gQ
scudrunner82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 05:55 AM   #3
international64
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
990 is nice the 1190r is incredible try to find one to ride. I have not had mine long but have been off road and love it. This may be the bike I have been looking for 30 years. I have owned bmw s jap bikes and Harleys. I still got the bagger. It is the best of all worlds. I never wanted abs or any of that garbage but wow does it work well. FIND ONE TO RIDE. THERE ARE ALOT OF PEOPLE LOOKING FOR THE 990S.
international64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 06:12 AM   #4
Black Hills
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,345
went from the 990R to the 1190R and am perfectly happy. I think the 1190 works as well as the 990 off road, the engine is slightly better IMO. I think you will be happy with it.
Black Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 06:51 AM   #5
PS-RagE
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 676
I went from a (heavily modified) 950S to an 1190R. Almost all of my riding is offroad and frankly, I find the 1190 handles better. It is easier to turn around and it is easier to pick up.

Last season I often found myself exploring dirt roads solo which is something I almost never did with the 950 since most dirt roads around here end abruptly and the 950 was a pig to turn around.

I changed the rims to narrower, tube style and now have it in a suspension shop for upgrade (something I did on the 950 as well).

Awesome bike! Love it! It is everything I wanted the 950 to be

2007 Beta REV3 270
2012 KTM 350 EXC-F
2014 KTM 1190 Adventure R
PS-RagE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 08:33 AM   #6
Tragic Overlander
Adventurer

Oddometer: 217
I had the same concerns as you, and have just come back from my first ride on my new 1190R. This bike is awesome. I found the computer controls worked very well for off road, and IMHO makes this bike easier to ride in technical situations than my 990R. The throttle control is super smooth - no jerkiness as with the 990. It will crawl along at idle and is very hard to stall. I did find that the suspension is way too soft for me, and I will upgrade the springs and probably revalve both ends.
HOW 2013: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=930423
Tragic Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 08:45 AM   #7
Black Hills
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,345
definitely needs suspension work if you are over 200lbs. the front is better than the 990 was stock, but still needs work.
Black Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 12:27 PM   #8
roscoe243 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Thanks for all of your responses so far. I appreciate all the input I can get!
roscoe243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 04:31 AM   #9
Renierd
Renierd

Oddometer: 49
Went for a test ride yesterday on a 1190, currently have a 990, and although it felt nice, I am a little disappointed, really expected more, bike was in "Street" mode. So will I trade "up" to a 1190, not sure, price tag is pretty steep for what you get, maybe I'll just spend some money on my 990 and keep it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Renierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 04:47 AM   #10
chippie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
I had a 2013 990R and thought about buying an 1190R to "go with it" and see which i preferred ,well after a 4 hour demo ride on the 1190R i traded in my 990, i would never of ridden it again.
The 1190R is just as capable off road as the 990 was, probably even better because of the smooth throttle action.
chippie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 06:47 AM   #11
ARiderX
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 612
I have a 'first gen' FI 2008 990 ktm. It's given me lots of misery and basically ruined my 2014 riding season (hoping to get an extra year out of the ktm, because I wasn't ready to buy something to go with it, last year). It's always in maintenance for some reason or another.

I thought about going the 1190 route several times (last year, and this year when coming across a decent deal earlier this month). But was always held back by the horror stories, either here or on different outlets online. (and yes, i do realise the internet is a megaphone for unsatisfied customers, and that real failure rates are nowhere near the perceived rate going off forums and the like). But still, each and every one of those problems, by itself, if one would be impacted by them, would seriously piss me off and ruin the ownership experience. (air box, even though easily fixed, it's a matter of principle, then there's all the electrical gremlins) That's what I have my 990 for

On a serious note, my 990 is now basically worth zip right now, so I'm just trying to keep it on the road with minimal money spent, as a backup bike (I just purchased a tiger 800). Maybe someday I'll even rebuild it as a project bike, who knows.

In any case, I've had time for some bike soul searching and realised that I will probably never own one of these bikes. Steep price of admission, and the risk/reward equation on failure versus maintenance expense will probably make sure I'm not trading up. I don't need the 150 hp these bikes offer to feel secure about my manhood, 90-95hp will do just fine. Great rentals bikes though! (and of course, never say never as I'm usually quite impulsive concerning these things, but until now i've managed to be rational about it all )
Old 03-29-2015, 06:52 AM   #12
scudrunner82
combustion addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARiderX View Post
I don't need the 150 hp these bikes offer to feel secure about my manhood, 90-95hp will do just fine.
Personally I require closer to 200 HP to feel secure in my manliness, but 150 is as close as I can get for now...

Old 03-29-2015, 07:00 AM   #13
ARiderX
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by scudrunner82 View Post
Personally I require closer to 200 HP to feel secure in my manliness, but 150 is as close as I can get for now...

Lol...

yeah, i know, i was being snarky again, i wasn't trying to be judgemental, everyone should ride what he or she can afford (in terms of money, time spent, possible frustrations, etc...). but my current mindset is where I'm at right now, trying to navigate the current state of the industry and where everyone is going. Trying not to get caught up in the hype, for the sole reason of being caught up in the hype. And when you brake it down, for me personally, I started to realise it didn't make much sense (but I still do admire and appreciate the high class luxury ADV bikes on this market. Amazing machines the lot of them)

I have to say though, about the 990 (I saw another comment reflecting this), it is REALLY harsh and difficult on low throttle openings and low throttle control. Very snatchy, for me (being relatively inexperienced at trails and off road) it's holding me back and eating up my confidence. I hope I can remedy that somehow. I need to research it.... Need the time though!
Old 03-29-2015, 07:05 AM   #14
scudrunner82
combustion addict

Quote:
Lol...

yeah, i know, i was being snarky again, i wasn't trying to be judgmental
I'm just kidding

Quote:

I have to say though, about the 990 (I saw another comment reflecting this), it is REALLY harsh and difficult on low throttle openings and low throttle control. Very snatchy, for me (being relatively inexperienced at trails and off road) it's holding me back and eating up my confidence. I hope I can remedy that somehow. I need to research it.... Need the time though!
The 1190R fixes this issue.. Not kidding this time...

Old 03-29-2015, 04:39 PM   #15
tedmarshall
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 564
1190 R versus 990 off-road only

I traded my 2010 990 in for the 1190 R about 14 months ago. Good decision!
Right after setting the bike up I joined CJ Racer and two other grizzled 950 riders and a BMW 800 GS rider for a 1000 mile mostly off road trip through the wilds of N. Wisconsin and the U.P.

The 1190's smoother low-rev power delivery makes a huge difference in negotiating gnarly loose rocky up hills and other technical challenges.

I did drop Big Bertha a few times in sugar sand. But same would've happened on my 990.

I found the Off-Road setting really works in delivering smooth, controllable,power. With not as much wheel-spin as my 990 in similar terrain.

Both bikes excel in high-speed 2-track, logging roads and forest roads.

I did feel that it took more tweaking (bar risers, peg position) to get the bike to fit me.

But it was a champ at water crossings and deep mud even with just the Heidenau Scout on the rear.

Gas mileage is a smidge better. Brakes are better. Suspension is a wash.
The power if you like that sort of thing is UNREAL!

In the off road setting it is quite easy to rail logging roads under control at 100 mph.

I did blow the rear WP shock. Replaced under warranty.

But I am spoiled by the Tubeless wheels. They haven't lost any air. And I pounded them on rocks.

And the heated grips. Better windscreen. And KTM's 1st stock comfy seat!

Subframe is fine. I carry same loads.

Bike does put out A LOT of heat though.

Hope this helps.

Ted
tedmarshall is offline   Reply With Quote