Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2013, 02:27 PM   #31
Katoom72
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.saveaho View Post
Is KTM in motogp?
Can you buy MotoGP bikes for the street?
'00 KTM 250sx -- '03 KTM 450sx -- '03 Yamaha R6 -- '08 KTM SuperDuke R --- '13 KTM 690 enduro R
Katoom72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:40 PM   #32
Harold Waikiki
oldfatdumbbrokeoutof

Oddometer: 381
I own lots of bikes as you can see below. I find the high costs to be modifying, farkleing, and fixing things I break. Routine maint seems to be a lower cost for me. I love all my bikes and will probably buy an 1190R. I don't even care what all the costs are. I can't believe I own them all and feel very blessed. Currently Head2wind has my 950SE torn all the way down. It is an '09 I got a few months ago with only 700 miles. Cost me $9000. Will have about $20,000. in before I ride it. See it in Steamboat! I feel whatever it costs to own-who cares? A fellow bike nut job.
'82 Honda CT 110
'09 KTM 950 SE Erzberg
Harold Waikiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:33 PM   #33
Enecosse
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Is KTM in motogp?
Yes and if you know where to look you can buy one of the factory bikes they produce.

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/2012/...ase-next-year/

Enecosse screwed with this post 03-18-2013 at 11:40 PM
Enecosse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:41 AM   #34
Ladukebob
lost in hood river

Oddometer: 1,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockycraig View Post
I myself was wondering about the cost of service of ktm and went to a ktm shop and asked. they said about a grand for the valve adjustment service.
US dollars?

Local ktm shop in Portland quoted me around 4 hours worth of work. With going shop prices probably around $400

If this holds true I think that's a pretty reasonable cost.
findLadukebob
Ladukebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:06 PM   #35
speed_racer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sNotTheBike View Post
If your question is indicative of your priorities, you are not a
motorcycle enthusiast and frankly you don't even deserve to
own fine machinery. You have the mindset which would have
the entire world driving a beige Toyota Camry because it has
the lowest operating costs. The mere thought of this makes
my stomach want to eject its contents like Linda Blair did in
"The Exorcist".

One good ride on a KTM LC8-engine bike and any rider
who is an enthusiast will be thinking : "costs be damned,
I've got to have this bike !" And that rider won't be
wondering how much it costs to operate, not then and not
ever. All the rider will be thinking about is when the next
ride can happen.
a big +1 there..
Although I drive a jeep v8 so any bike is cost effective in comparison hehe..

Seriously though, Ive owned my KTM for 1.5 weeks and all I have been thinking thinking about at work is my ride home and if i should buy a givi trekker top case or ktm top case.. should i buy tkc80's or stick with a set of E01 dakar MITAS,
then once i have them, plus some wolfman softbags, Where am I going to head too?...

hehe.. KTM is cheap in comparison to the BMW 1200 and a shit load better bike and also has 15000km service intervals... I feel like after owning this bike I have had my head in the sand thinking BMW was the best quality bike.. but im fairly new the adv scene..

Would I go a multistrada? nope.. cos its just a more upright sports bike, I like to use mine off road.. (a multistrada rider keeps stealing my parking spot out the front and so i park up next to him and wonder how the hell he is going to get down the stairs without the ground clearance I have ) I'll sit back n watch one day..
speed_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:21 PM   #36
speed_racer
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadoR6 View Post
Asking this question is pointless as comparing MotoGP bikes with any other standard bike is as comparing an F1 car with Ford Focus.
Not really pointless.. it was just a question, and considering KTM's superbike engine is in a KTM adventure bike.. it makes it all relevant now doesnt it?

Tell me, what ford focus has a F1 engine?
Old 08-14-2013, 10:42 PM   #37
Katoom72
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed_racer View Post
Not really pointless.. it was just a question, and considering KTM's superbike engine is in a KTM adventure bike.. it makes it all relevant now doesnt it?

Tell me, what ford focus has a F1 engine?
Superbike runs with MotoGP engines?

And it was not a question, it was a 'japanese roadbikes are better because they compete in MotoGP' comment.
'00 KTM 250sx -- '03 KTM 450sx -- '03 Yamaha R6 -- '08 KTM SuperDuke R --- '13 KTM 690 enduro R
Old 08-15-2013, 12:26 AM   #38
speed_racer
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoom72 View Post
Superbike runs with MotoGP engines?

And it was not a question, it was a 'japanese roadbikes are better because they compete in MotoGP' comment.
Nope but superbike runs superbike engines in say.. i dunno the world superbike race? ;)

and it was in fact, a question..

Quote:
Is KTM in motogp?
you see?
Old 08-15-2013, 12:38 AM   #39
Katoom72
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Nope but superbike runs superbike engines in say.. i dunno the world superbike race? ;)

and it was in fact, a question..

you see?
it was a retorical question, commenting on my post saying japs are boring. :-)

and the adv runs a 1190 stock engine, not a superbike race engine. So i dont see the relevance to motogp at all.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:22 PM   #40
DuctTape
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
I think the OP asked a very intelligent question. I own both a Ducati and Aprilia which I am totally smitten with and both are Italian Studs.

Unfortunately when it came time for me to purchase an Adventure bike I had to pass on both of them. If you live in North America and don't live in some place like California, Texas or Florida dealer support for both Ducati and Aprilia are pretty much non existent. Since Ducati and Aprilia are both not very popular parts are both expensive and in a lot of instances not in stock here in the States with a long lead time from Italy. Both Aprillia and Ducati are not bikes you can repair on the side of the road unless you want to drag along a trailer full of special tools and diagnostic equipment.

When you consider just these truth's you realize that both Ducati and Aprilia really aren't bikes you want to pack up and travel out into the wilderness of North Dakota alone.

Enter KTM. I don't own the 1190 so I'm writing this from a 990 and 690 point of view and when it comes to adventure bikes the support for both parts and mechanics are far superior to either of the Italian makes.

Like I wrote I love my Italian beauties but they live their lives on the Track or close to home and I would never consider traveling out of the county on either of the Italian brands regardless of the model. Ducati and Aprilia here in North America just aren't qualified adventure bikes for the previous reasons stated.
2010 Ducati 1198S
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 11:57 PM   #41
speed_racer
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
it was a retorical question, commenting on my post saying japs are boring. :-)

and the adv runs a 1190 stock engine, not a superbike race engine. So i dont see the relevance to motogp at all.
and as a matter of fact, yeah KTM is in or entering the motoGP. I dont agree all japs bikes are boring, but having almost bought a tenere before getting the bmw f650 twin, I can agree and to my surprise, the BMW was better value for money...

and what does make the 1190 adv a stock engine and RC8R a 'superbike race engine' ? it comes out stock in the RC8R so therefore that's a stock engine as well right?

Just curious though, do they run the tight tolerances in motogp where they have to pump hot water through the engines before kicking them over like v8 supercars? Could that be the decision point between a daily stock engine and a race engine perhaps?
Old 08-16-2013, 03:08 AM   #42
Katoom72
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
and as a matter of fact, yeah KTM is in or entering the motoGP. I dont agree all japs bikes are boring, but having almost bought a tenere before getting the bmw f650 twin, I can agree and to my surprise, the BMW was better value for money...

and what does make the 1190 adv a stock engine and RC8R a 'superbike race engine' ? it comes out stock in the RC8R so therefore that's a stock engine as well right?

Just curious though, do they run the tight tolerances in motogp where they have to pump hot water through the engines before kicking them over like v8 supercars? Could that be the decision point between a daily stock engine and a race engine perhaps?
Wel that's person opinion. The Jap bikes lack the character of European bikes, IMO. Not that they are bad, far from. Just...not as fun.

Language barrier issue here, small misunderstanding. Both are stock, and far from WSB (as in superbike, the sport. Not the model/class of bike).
So yeah, if you look at the model/class, it's the superbike engine. But that's still bone stock and far from a race engine like WSB or even MotoGP. So there is no revelance what so ever to both of the race classes and our daily beasts.

I don't work at a MotoGP engineering company, what i do know is that they draw and engineer a whole new bike. A bike that does not even come close to what we ride on daily basis. For that matter it's comparable to F1. The MotoGP bikes just look more like daily roadbikes then F1 cars do to daily cars. But if you look closer to the MotoGP or WSB bikes then you wil spot the difference. Even details like brakes are allot different then the stock stuff we squeeze in get to a stop. Not even gonna start about frames and suspension.

And i know KTM is in MotoGP, KTM support the step-up classes more like any other mfg. In all motorbike sports, motocross aswell. They are focussed on allot of other motorsports like enduro and motocross, and they are quite succesfull. So i don't see them going to the kingsclass in MotoGP with a full factoryteam, just yet. Maybe one day they wil... But i don't really care if they would or not. They make the most fun bikes IMO and the fact that they are in MotoGP or not does not make their bikes less fun to ride.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:09 PM   #43
speed_racer
Studly Adventurer

Wicked

Quote:
Wel that's person opinion. The Jap bikes lack the character of European bikes, IMO. Not that they are bad, far from. Just...not as fun.

Language barrier issue here, small misunderstanding. Both are stock, and far from WSB (as in superbike, the sport. Not the model/class of bike).
So yeah, if you look at the model/class, it's the superbike engine. But that's still bone stock and far from a race engine like WSB or even MotoGP. So there is no revelance what so ever to both of the race classes and our daily beasts.

I don't work at a MotoGP engineering company, what i do know is that they draw and engineer a whole new bike. A bike that does not even come close to what we ride on daily basis. For that matter it's comparable to F1. The MotoGP bikes just look more like daily roadbikes then F1 cars do to daily cars. But if you look closer to the MotoGP or WSB bikes then you wil spot the difference. Even details like brakes are allot different then the stock stuff we squeeze in get to a stop. Not even gonna start about frames and suspension.

And i know KTM is in MotoGP, KTM support the step-up classes more like any other mfg. In all motorbike sports, motocross aswell. They are focussed on allot of other motorsports like enduro and motocross, and they are quite succesfull. So i don't see them going to the kingsclass in MotoGP with a full factoryteam, just yet. Maybe one day they wil... But i don't really care if they would or not. They make the most fun bikes IMO and the fact that they are in MotoGP or not does not make their bikes less fun to ride.
So I think we are both debating the same argument ;)

I initially didn't realise the motogp question was a condescending question to what you wrote before it, ;)

They do change a lot for the engineering characteristics of a motogp, f1, and other sports but its literally modifications to the existing model. Plus tolerances and materials that wouldn't work in street riding. Wsb and Isle of Man would be closer to what we ride wouldn't it?
Old 08-18-2013, 07:15 PM   #44
Tubulchain
odaat, atgatt

Oddometer: 206
I have a Multi and will tell you the cost of ownership is steep in a way and nearly zero in another way...

I needed the exhaust, went in for the Termi = $2700

Other than that, its pretty much all set. If you can stand listening to it pout and wheeze cost of ownership is damn low. It has not given me any issues thats for sure.
Old 10-07-2014, 11:19 PM   #45
manybike
Omnipresent

Oddometer: 365
Reviving an old thread

I went Jap two years ago...what has it cost me?....oil changes.

Do I miss my Duc and my BMW...yes...very much so.

However....I still ride and am having a blast at way less cost.

sorry all...just got sick and tired of high maintenance, ridiculous depreciation, hard to get parts, sub standard engineering that gets dismissed out of hand (the old "gives it character shit") etc etc etc.

But...I still miss my Duc.

72 Yamaha 350 street 92 R100GS
07 Versys 08 WR250X ST1300
manybike is offline   Reply With Quote