Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-16-2013, 10:24 PM   #1
Dustodust OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 860
Connecting used 60csx to Win 8 ?

(total GPS NOOB , computerly challenged mouse clicker)
please help if you can. Sorry if this seems binary but I spent 3 hours reading previous posts on the 60csx and still confused a lot of info went advanced real quick and all the abbreviations got me tangled up

Got a steal on CL($125) on a like new barely ever used 60csx that has trip & waypoint manager CD and City navigator CD in the box with it , the thing is not even dusty, not a scratch looks like brand new
the previous owner never even recorded a track and said he only used it once on a hiking trip but he did load the City Navigator North America CD Version 8.0 (2005) onto a new micro SD and it has the original SD with it

I would like to get more detailed backroads and trails for offroading and adventure riding and hope to use it for Dual Sport events in addition to the roll chart
from what I gather, the best way to use these GPS gadgets for offroad exploring is to also carry maps and use it to verify your location and also to record tracks for future reference ( ? )

Should I load the "Trip and Waypoint Manager " in my late model laptop with Win 8 to get started ?
I tried to load the City Navigator CD and stopped when it asked for the unlock codes (PO lost them)
Can I get the codes from the GPS Unit by connecting the USB ?
( there was a prompt suggesting that ) and then we are all good ?

Can you suggest the best map source for more backroads detail ?
I know the backroads and trails in my area and when I scroll the map the detail is there on major dirt roads with no forest or BLM numbers and no trails at all
My range will be mainly Central and Southern California deserts and mountains
Can I overlay more detail from other maps ?
Should I do a hard restart and start over with all new map CD's ?

What is the best hardwire to get ? I am using new Duracell rechargeables right now

any help would be greatly appreciated
this seems really complicated what have I gotten into !
been getting by fine through life so far with maps and dead reckoning but figure this might be fun

----------------------------------------------

PS: I have an unused old 2002 California national Geographic seamless USGS Topo maps 10 CD set that was for Win 95-98, ME but it is probably outdated but if anybody can use it PM)
Old 03-17-2013, 12:32 AM   #2
Dustodust OP
Studly Adventurer

guess Ill give it a try tomorrow

looking at the map detail and the map option samples I am already thinking that maybe GPS is not for me
it seems kinda retarded ?
the topo maps seem to have nothing useful
the city maps have no backroads details

so whats the point ?

why not just carry a paper map ?

am I missing something ?

maybe I can sell it
Old 03-17-2013, 03:09 AM   #3
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,765
if nothing else you will always know where you are and exactly you have been
Old 03-17-2013, 03:26 AM   #4
Jailor8
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,137
I

To the OP

Im GPS stupid too. I just down load tracks and follow them with mine, not really tried creating my own. I also print out the papermaps of the track and tape then together Just incase there are issues that arise.

And if you decide to sell yours I would take it off your hands for what you have in it. Because Im setting up son to ride also and we just as well have the same system.

Thats a serious offer.

Jailor8
RIP my Cousin, Austin City Limits aka Terry Hammond
KTM950A, KLR685, KLR650, KLR250, KLX250, Honda Rebel, Foretrax Foreman 4x4
Jailor8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 03:29 AM   #5
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,843
I'll try to give you a bit of help----------but your disappointment is totally from your admittedly lack of knowing how to use the unit and the software that you have. I remember when I got my first gps I read the owners manual about 3 times and didn't understand anything----so I feel your pain----as I've been there and done that. When set up properly with the proper maps loaded into your unit it will have as much detail as any paper map. This may require loading multiple mapsets.

If you are extremely computer illiterate-----this may frustrate you to getting rid of it and like you said "may not be for you"---------after learning this stuff it will open up a whole new world to you that no paper map can give you. I just use them for the big picture sometimes. I've traveled offroad all the way from the southern tip of Baja Mexico to the northern most road in Alaska at the arctic ocean and very seldom use a paper map. There's a very long list of things a paper map won't do for you that a gps will--------the biggest being that the paper map will "never" know where your at. The more your riding gets you off the grid an out in the what may seem the middle of nowhere the more that becomes important.

To use your city navigator software and to load some detailed map into the unit is probably going to require you purchasing an unlock code from garmin-------I'm not going to try to tell you step my step how to do that---I'd be typing for a really long time and we'd be asking questions back and forth for a month---do some searching.

And after you get it loaded you have to set your gps to show the maximum detail. With city navigator its hard to get somewhere on a street legal road that maybe is just a dirt road that's not on your gps screen. For back roading it's all you need----although loading topos maps also can help out with detail.

You have a lot of work, reading and googling to do to get it all working. Read you owners manual a few times before asking more questions---------it will move your learning progress much faster.

No gps mapping program will show you all the single track (1 ft. wide) trails in the country if that is what you are after. But i'm guessing you are just wanting to ride backroads------something any jeep could get down----the city navigator will show most of that detail with rare exception.

Your gps you bought if you want to sell it is a very desirable unit that extreme offroad motorcycle adventure and offroad riders have been using for years--------it is the preferred unit in a gps that has a small screen---------so you'll have no problem selling it. A lot of people have went to units with a bigger screen (me)-----but yours is a very desirable unit. If you put it for sale on AdvRider in the flea market section it will be gone the first day.

BigDog

BigDogAdventures screwed with this post 03-17-2013 at 03:39 AM
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:14 AM   #6
Dustodust OP
Studly Adventurer

Hey thanks Mark
and others
If I load other peoples snail tracks then that isn't really adventuring. Same if riding with bossy bosses, you just have to follow and that's not adventuring. It is nice having other people to bail you out if you have trouble though. But even if I use it like a big compass on steroids it has value for knowing where I am .
So say I want to follow a road and wonder where it goes City maps will tell me that it will go through in the direction I want instead of dead ending or looping back ?
So here I am still fiddlefarting with it instead of out wandering

like for instance here is a corner of desert seldom traveled , if I continue straight it runs into a bombing range fence line, north ends too, found out later if I head south into one of the two canyons that dont dead end I could have had more challenging roads and turned east but would have hit fence line as it dog legs south ,
If I ordered a paper map from BLM it would have told me that too

if I break down here its a one to two day walk to a paved road

If I had taken the road to the left it would have gone thru , but I didnt know for sure so I took the high plains with all the jeep tracks. A GPS may have told me it went thru , but so would a paper map, but it still wouldnt tell me how rough it is for a big bike, but then again I dont want to know

this map at a BLM kiosk is just a little corner of that day and wouldnt have helped much

Dustodust screwed with this post 03-17-2013 at 10:39 AM
Dustodust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:12 AM   #7
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustodust View Post
.... maybe I can sell it
This guy might be interested in the purchase:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...1#post20965311

but maybe don't give up so fast, there is a learning curve.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:14 AM   #8
Jailor8
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,137
I wish

I wish Mark there was a way to throw all you GPS knowledge on a thumb Drive and plug it in my Pea sized brain!!!

Jailor8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com View Post
I'll try to give you a bit of help----------but your disappointment is totally from your admittedly lack of knowing how to use the unit and the software that you have. I remember when I got my first gps I read the owners manual about 3 times and didn't understand anything----so I feel your pain----as I've been there and done that. When set up properly with the proper maps loaded into your unit it will have as much detail as any paper map. This may require loading multiple mapsets.

If you are extremely computer illiterate-----this may frustrate you to getting rid of it and like you said "may not be for you"---------after learning this stuff it will open up a whole new world to you that no paper map can give you. I just use them for the big picture sometimes. I've traveled offroad all the way from the southern tip of Baja Mexico to the northern most road in Alaska at the arctic ocean and very seldom use a paper map. There's a very long list of things a paper map won't do for you that a gps will--------the biggest being that the paper map will "never" know where your at. The more your riding gets you off the grid an out in the what may seem the middle of nowhere the more that becomes important.

To use your city navigator software and to load some detailed map into the unit is probably going to require you purchasing an unlock code from garmin-------I'm not going to try to tell you step my step how to do that---I'd be typing for a really long time and we'd be asking questions back and forth for a month---do some searching.

And after you get it loaded you have to set your gps to show the maximum detail. With city navigator its hard to get somewhere on a street legal road that maybe is just a dirt road that's not on your gps screen. For back roading it's all you need----although loading topos maps also can help out with detail.

You have a lot of work, reading and googling to do to get it all working. Read you owners manual a few times before asking more questions---------it will move your learning progress much faster.

No gps mapping program will show you all the single track (1 ft. wide) trails in the country if that is what you are after. But i'm guessing you are just wanting to ride backroads------something any jeep could get down----the city navigator will show most of that detail with rare exception.

Your gps you bought if you want to sell it is a very desirable unit that extreme offroad motorcycle adventure and offroad riders have been using for years--------it is the preferred unit in a gps that has a small screen---------so you'll have no problem selling it. A lot of people have went to units with a bigger screen (me)-----but yours is a very desirable unit. If you put it for sale on AdvRider in the flea market section it will be gone the first day.

BigDog
RIP my Cousin, Austin City Limits aka Terry Hammond
KTM950A, KLR685, KLR650, KLR250, KLX250, Honda Rebel, Foretrax Foreman 4x4
Jailor8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:31 PM   #9
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,264
Quote:
like for instance here is a corner of desert seldom traveled , if I continue straight it runs into a bombing range fence line, north ends too, found out later if I head south into one of the two canyons that dont dead end I could have had more challenging roads and turned east but would have hit fence line as it dog legs south ,
If I ordered a paper map from BLM it would have told me that too
If I had taken the road to the left it would have gone thru , but I didnt know for sure so I took the high plains with all the jeep tracks. A GPS may have told me it went thru , but so would a paper map, but it still wouldnt tell me how rough it is for a big bike, but then again I dont want to know
You are not very clear on what you want from a GPS. Real "adventure" is not legal any longer, you must follow the designated roads with the brown posts. One problem in this area is that the electronic maps have not been updated to what is now legal. I think the BLM has finished marking trails but it is not continuous in the checkerboard ownership areas.

However I have found that the BLM designated as Open all the roads that show on the old 1:100,000 maps which are what you get with Garmin Roads & Rec map set.

As to following other peoples tracks, there is no rule. Mark and I do it totally different. He Plans a trip and go rides it, and posts tracks. He Does some fantastic very long trips. I go out and scout every possible way then filter my tracks at home to get the "best" ride and then post that. I have thousands of miles of tracks posted on GPSXchange.com.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:13 AM   #10
Dustodust OP
Studly Adventurer

tried it out on a 320 mile adv ride today and I think shes a keeper

once I got in range the details of forest road marking and historic road names in BLM territory come in to detail
if I just scroll out on the map there is no detail untilo I get there

so I still needed a paper map for the "big picture", but the GPS helped me sort out any doubt when it came to unmarked forks in the road If I was tempted to follow a road to see where it goes , the gps would show me if it goes thru, dead ends or loops back around , I found it very useful with just the City Navigator
helped me find some awesome new territories
The Duracell rechargables lasted 11 hours of riding and then some
left Crestline around 10am rode east across the mountain and down 2W02 into Pioneertown then east to Joshua Tree , and south on Gold Crown and got back on the mountain at 9pm by way of I-10
GPS says 318 miles, 32mph moving average, 22mph overall

I dont like going on roads like this on the big bike if I just have to turn around and come back, the GPS lets me know if it goes through :

I think that Topo would be most useful for singletrack in places like Moab or Sargents Colorado

Dustodust screwed with this post 03-18-2013 at 01:52 AM
Old 03-18-2013, 01:19 AM   #11
Dustodust OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
You are not very clear on what you want from a GPS. Real "adventure" is not legal any longer, you must follow the designated roads with the brown posts. One problem in this area is that the electronic maps have not been updated to what is now legal. I think the BLM has finished marking trails but it is not continuous in the checkerboard ownership areas.

However I have found that the BLM designated as Open all the roads that show on the old 1:100,000 maps which are what you get with Garmin Roads & Rec map set.

As to following other peoples tracks, there is no rule. Mark and I do it totally different. He Plans a trip and go rides it, and posts tracks. He Does some fantastic very long trips. I go out and scout every possible way then filter my tracks at home to get the "best" ride and then post that. I have thousands of miles of tracks posted on GPSXchange.com.
thanx Jerry I need to find a Roads and Recs, sounds like what I want
I need to check your tracks on GPSX
I'll start with baby steps until I can work into saving tracks and whatnot

does roads and recs cover central colorado ?
Old 03-18-2013, 02:32 AM   #12
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,765
Quote:
thanx Jerry I need to find a Roads and Recs, sounds like what I want
I need to check your tracks on GPSX
I'll start with baby steps until I can work into saving tracks and whatnot

does roads and recs cover central colorado ?
you may( i dont know for sure) already have a track of what you did the other day
Old 03-18-2013, 02:27 PM   #13
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,264
Quote:
thanx Jerry I need to find a Roads and Recs, sounds like what I want does roads and recs cover central colorado ?
Yes whole US, you down load it by county.

If I didn't mention it, go to DualSportWest.com and clidk GPS and do setup of your 60 plus a few other lessons

Buy a hard wire kit from CycoActive.com

No, TOPO has too many lines, very few people use it in GPS, only on PC.

R & R shows almost trails all trails
Old 03-19-2013, 01:51 AM   #14
Dustodust OP
Studly Adventurer

good info thanks a lot for that setup you got on your site Jerry
I already used it and got a lot out of it already
settings helped out
the 20mile range tip and details helped a lot

will the roads and rec CD work on windows 8 ?
the latest built urban roads wont be on there but thats acceptable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
Yes whole US, you down load it by county.

If I didn't mention it, go to DualSportWest.com and clidk GPS and do setup of your 60 plus a few other lessons

Buy a hard wire kit from CycoActive.com

No, TOPO has too many lines, very few people use it in GPS, only on PC.

R & R shows almost trails all trails

Dustodust screwed with this post 03-19-2013 at 02:53 AM