User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2013, 07:13 PM   #91
DisTech OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 616
Break in

With the 14 tooth cs, 70mph used to be a bit buzzy. No longer! The 790 really changes how smooth and powerful the DR feels on the freeway. I love it.

My clutch, however does not love it! Couple times accelerating with the clutch fully engaged, the rpms suddenly wound up as the clutch just slipped. That just won't do, ordered a Barnett Clutch Kit from ProCycle.
Old 05-19-2013, 11:04 AM   #92
Rhyno
PrsnalityAccentuator

Oddometer: 87
How is that front air dam/wind screen working out?

I am curious as to its efficiency versus your body size and riding style.

If you have time, can you elaborate?
But, if I "all of a sudden disappear.... ...." hopefully I didn't suffer too much....
Rhyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:19 AM   #93
Rhyno
PrsnalityAccentuator

Oddometer: 87
One more thing..

Maybe you can find heavier springs PRIOR to spending big $ for a "High Performance" kit.

An increase in "clamping force" might solve your clutch issues. Another definite resolve is to increase the "friction area." This has been done (in other applications) by machining your basket to allow the addition of another friction and/or steel. I don't know about the DR basket potential, though.

Springs can be measured and compared.

(I.E. Diameter, gauge, resting length, pounds for a measured compression length, etc.)

Transmission repair shops have employees with BOXES of extra springs. Maybe an industrial equipment repair house, hydraulic repair shop, etc.

Good luck on your "quest."
But, if I "all of a sudden disappear.... ...." hopefully I didn't suffer too much....
Rhyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 01:30 PM   #94
DisTech OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhyno View Post
How is that front air dam/wind screen working out?

I am curious as to its efficiency versus your body size and riding style.

If you have time, can you elaborate?
Had the F650 windscreen/Buel dual headlights/Sleestak mounted to the triples from my DR650 build thread. Pro; wind protection on the freeway, the cockpit you get for your instrumentation. Con; too much weight on the steering, Buel headlights are weak.

Next setup was an 8" HID race light from TrailTech and no windscreen. Pro; light weight steering, big dirtbike feel, unobstructed visibility, shockingly bight light (and only 35watts). Con; wind on the freeway.

No windscreen was really fun, but it's about an hour ride from home to anything unpaved and the wind on the freeway wore me out before and after riding around in the hills.

Finally decided to build a frame mounted nav tower an keep the 8" HID. Didn't know what I was going to do for a windscreen but I had the F650 one and tried it. It works very well, provides a nice bubble at 70mph. I have an AFX dual sport helmet and with no windscreen the helmet visor on the freeway was pretty annoying, catching wind and jerking your head around. With the F650 Dakar windscreen mounted as it is (and Sleestak) I don't have a problem with the dual sport visor. The wind protection and smoother running at 70mpg from the 790 looks promising.

Only done break in rides on road so far. Still have to see how the nav tower, etc holds up off rood.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhyno View Post
One more thing..

Maybe you can find heavier springs PRIOR to spending big $ for a "High Performance" kit.

An increase in "clamping force" might solve your clutch issues. Another definite resolve is to increase the "friction area." This has been done (in other applications) by machining your basket to allow the addition of another friction and/or steel. I don't know about the DR basket potential, though.

Springs can be measured and compared.

(I.E. Diameter, gauge, resting length, pounds for a measured compression length, etc.)

Transmission repair shops have employees with BOXES of extra springs. Maybe an industrial equipment repair house, hydraulic repair shop, etc.

Good luck on your "quest."
I could have ordered just the Barnett heavy duty clutch springs for $19, but I had an incident with my clutch and suspect the need to replace the plates anyway. So taking care of both problems at once.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:00 PM   #95
DisTech OP
Studly Adventurer

Skid plate

Thought I'd try the bedliner trick on the skid plate to see if it actually reduces the engine noise magaphone effect.

Tape to protect my beautiful pristine skid plate!

First two coats.

Five coats dry and ready to install.

Probably order a Pat Walsh skid plate at some point, but if the bedliner makes any difference it will get the treatment as well.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:19 PM   #96
regg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisTech View Post
Thought I'd try the bedliner trick on the skid plate to see if it actually reduces the engine noise magaphone effect.

Tape to protect my beautiful pristine skid plate!

First two coats.

Five coats dry and ready to install.

Probably order a Pat Walsh skid plate at some point, but if the bedliner makes any difference it will get the treatment as well.

I had great success with dynamat.
regg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 04:49 PM   #97
DisTech OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks for the ideas guys.

regg, I read in your Anyone had any luck LineXing a skid plate? thread that you used Dynamat Xtreme. So does that have a foil side that is exposed? And does Dynamat Xtreme use a closed cell foam? I found references that Dynaliner is closed cell and therefore ok to use with water and oil, but didn't find any info about open or closed cell foam for Dynamat Xtreme.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:20 PM   #98
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,681
I used one of Dynamat's products on my skid plate, the foil side is up and under that is a thick layer of black sticky tar-like stuff... worked great and significanly cut down the noise from my engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:46 PM   #99
DisTech OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLO LOBO View Post
I used one of Dynamat's products on my skid plate, the foil side is up and under that is a thick layer of black sticky tar-like stuff... worked great and significanly cut down the noise from my engine.
So Dynamat is not a foam at all? Makes sense why I couldn't find info on open or closed cell then. It looks easier and I bet works better than the bedliner stuff. Thanks, I'll try it on the next one.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:53 PM   #100
regg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisTech View Post
Thanks for the ideas guys.

regg, I read in your Anyone had any luck LineXing a skid plate? thread that you used Dynamat Xtreme. So does that have a foil side that is exposed? And does Dynamat Xtreme use a closed cell foam? I found references that Dynaliner is closed cell and therefore ok to use with water and oil, but didn't find any info about open or closed cell foam for Dynamat Xtreme.
The Dynamat that I used had a foil side and a sticky side. The fol is pretty thick and will slice your finger pretty easily. The sticky side is almost a tar type consistency. I wouldn't really call it a closed cell foam. It's been on there for a few thousand miles and so far so good.
regg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:47 PM   #101
DisTech OP
Studly Adventurer

Clutch

Barnett Clutch kit from ProCycle.

Lay her down and open her up!

EBC left, Barnett right. All I can say is wow, both kits say they have HD springs. The Barnett stuff is in another class.

Discs in place.

Buttoned up and with the Herculinered skid plate!

1. The Herculiner on the skid plate works. It is noticeably quieter!
  2. Holy hell that Barnett clutch is fantastic! I wish I would have done that a long time ago. Smoother, shorter, more positive engagement. Hope to give it a workout this weekend!
Old 05-25-2013, 12:03 PM   #102
Dalmatino
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
Again, nice build...Looking forward to a more elaborate 790 big bore review/opinion
Dalmatino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 05:15 PM   #103
rpet
Awesometown

Oddometer: 809
what's the pull strength needed on the clutch versus stock?

I haven't had my DR offroad yet, but i see myself getting hand cramps.
Read my homie's underway Africa trip RR - Round Africa with a Surboard
WTB: Clarke tank for DR650 for cheap - any color but blue.
rpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 12:44 AM   #104
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpet View Post
what's the pull strength needed on the clutch versus stock?

I haven't had my DR offroad yet, but i see myself getting hand cramps.
Keintech suggested i do Barnett clutch springs with OEM plates which I did. The pull strength is greater, but not enough for me to get hand cramps off road. I did this before I set out on the trip im on now (headed to alaska) and even doing Poison Spider Mesa (shorter, but more clutchwork/harder) and the White Rim Trail (longer, but not as much clutch work/easier) I had no hand cramps. YMMV
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 12:45 AM   #105
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 976
Great build man. Definitely a charm to the DR, and one can almost farkle it to be perfect. Too bad it will always be a fat pig, but it can get the job done.. especially your beast
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote