Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Alaska
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2013, 06:14 PM   #16
klrdave
misguided

Oddometer: 541
I'm running SW Motech racks with Pelican cases. The cases can be removed very easily, are waterproof, and almost indestructable. I've been happy with them.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:57 AM   #17
Biddy OP
n00b

Oddometer: 7
[QUOTE=ADVBMR;20980905]It all depends on how much pindakaas you carry. But if you are hosteling, couchsurfing, hoteling, then you only need a top bag on a rear rack /QUOTE]

Haha, I'll miss my Pindakaas or actually more my Nutella! But you're right, I probably won't need too much space, although I am a woman and while backpacking through Australia I managed to walk around with a lot of stuff!!
Biddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:04 AM   #18
Biddy OP
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Thanks for all your advices!

Many people, many different opinions, but I appreciate your help and advices very much! Thank you all.

Right now I'm thinking about getting the Pelican side cases and maybe a top case from a different brand second hand, either here in Holland or in Alaska.

But the waste containers also seem attractive

Annemieke
Biddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:41 AM   #19
TxLoneRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biddy View Post
Many people, many different opinions, but I appreciate your help and advices very much! Thank you all.

Right now I'm thinking about getting the Pelican side cases and maybe a top case from a different brand second hand, either here in Holland or in Alaska.

But the waste containers also seem attractive

Annemieke
The more I go through life, to more it amazes me how 2 people can see the same thing completely differently. It like, yeah, with the side split paniers like the Givi, you do have to police your objects around the front and back of the case, and make sure you have any objects getting into the seals.

But on the other hand, the top open paniers can not accept helmets (that I know of) and heaven forbid you need to get to that pair of gloves at the bottom.

When I tour, I keep extra visors, gloves, rain gear, water and snacks in the right panier. Quick access on the high side of the bike (when on the side stand of course). On the left, I used to keep my cache of clothes, and would only open it every 2 to 3 days. With 2-3 pairs of socks, underwear an shirts in a small kit bag in my top box. As well, sneakers, jeans and such would go in there, basically items that will only get worn once or twice.

For my trip this summer I am taking a lot more camera gear, including my big lens, and possibly an extra body (50D). Basically I will be easily outstripping the capacity of my tank bag.

So this trip my left panier will have camera crap in it, and maybe some clothes.

Basically it comes down to how you pack stuff, and what you do when you tour.

I am guessing, your touring will be significantly different than mine.

Ride safe, and when you get your bike set up, please post some pictures in this thread!
TxLoneRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:12 PM   #20
schlapster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Dr?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubdriver View Post
He must ride a DR
A KLR, actually. I see you have one too. Will have to update my profile to list it.
schlapster is offline   Reply With Quote