Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2013, 04:46 AM   #31
Sableye OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
I had the opportunity to go on the Southend Shakedown this week. Well, my goal being meet more bikers this year, I couldnt pass it up :)

It leaves from the fabled Ace Cafe in London and heads down to Southend on Sea. It usually attracts about 20,000 bikers per year!

People were arriving en-masse at 9:30am at the Ace. At 10:30am we left. As you go out the groups get broken up into small chunks 10-20 bikes, by the traffic lights. So, no huge group happened. I got into Southend about 12'ish, parked about 12:30pm. Mad traffic once your in town! It takes about an hour and a half to do the journey on a 4 stroke 125. A lot of which was between 50-60MPH. From Ace to Southend me odometer read about 100km (about 60 mile?). I imagine about an hour or less on a big bike doing appropriate speeds. The first bit slows everyone down. Speaking of which...

The route follows the A406 to the A2, then straight up the A127. The A406 is mostly 40-60 zones, with a lot of speed cameras. Everybody rode mostly to the limit. Its the first bit thatís a touch slow. Toooo many cameras on the A406. I mean crikey I am a slow rider myself, donít like speeding and donít have the bike for it, but wow! Even I spent more time watching my speedo than the road

Once you get out of the M25, its dual carriageway NSL, not many speed cameras. The road flowed at a good speed all the way to Southend. It only slowed down when you actually got to Southend. I am sure you could go at whatever speed you felt was appropriate. No slow crawls there that I heard about.

Before the off

A bear

Rat love <3

Soufend

I dont mind Harleys...

GUZZI!

An MZ. Not sure how it made it down there... ^^

One of my fave bikes there, it was immaculate!

And another

The main strip was packed!

Up close, they look comfy!

Bicycles!

A James

Scooters out in force

Moar Guzzi!

I still like side cars....

Lightenin

SMILE!

Soufend shots

Was a fab day out.